PDA

View Full Version : Swimming underwater in ACIV:BF

Jdeadevil
12-28-2013, 12:12 AM
This may be the wrong section, but I need some help here as I'm extremely frustrated. Other than hiding in the weeds, is there anything I can do to combat being seen by sharks? I've tried simply swimming to those things which give you air, hiding in weeds, shouting "You're my daddy" into the mic, but nothing seems to be stopping me from being wrestled (and taking damage anyway) every 10 seconds. Is this how it's meant to be? Seriously?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

MnemonicSyntax
12-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Yeah, that's all you can do. Be patient and watch the sharks pattern.

strigoi1958
12-28-2013, 12:25 AM
I quite like the underwater parts. At first I tried to just get as quickly as I could from point to point but realised the fun was in timing my moves from cover to cover all the time worrying about my air running out.... definitely added intensity. Although being able to slash with a knife would have been nice ;)

Jdeadevil
12-28-2013, 12:36 AM
So that's the only strategy? Watching out for the shark's patrol patterns? Maann.....

Frag_Maniac
12-28-2013, 03:15 AM
Seaweed and air barrels aren't really the only strategy. A lot of it has to do with planning a route and timing your approach. Part of what can help you plan a route is highlighting each chest and animus frag on the map one at a time. This play through I'm using no HUD, so it's very challenging.

My first play through I'd usually highlight the closest object first, which helps determine not just which direction it is, but how high or low. Then look at the sharks circling and plan a route, it doesn't always have to be a dive to seaweed. Oftentimes staying low will only make you overlook eels. You can also use rocks or wrecks to hide behind or even swim through.

Use air barrels sparingly if you can, esp a lone one off in the distance by a hard to find object. It can not just extend your air and hide you momentarily, but help you locate that object's proximity quicker. Be methodical about stringing together your looting to save time and air. Take note of the layout of the objects, and once you get to one, align the cam in the direction of the next before the loot animation even ends. Little things like this will help avoid needless air loss and risk of disorienting yourself directions wise.

Lastly, use the horizontal spars of the wrecks to save air and avoid sharks. If you're not aware, fast swimming toward them automatically makes Edward grab onto them, then push off hard with his legs, boosting his speed significantly for a brief time. It's like Animus travel speed in the Jackdaw, and can really help avoid attacks. I've also had to increase the brightness a bit on some wreck areas to help see things. The game has better Eagle Vision than some past titles, but it's not really usable much for diving, and there are many caves and underwater areas that have poor lighting balance.

It's pretty hard to avoid ALL attacks underwater though, unless you really know the placement of objects well and are really good at using all the tricks mentioned. Hell, on my no HUD play through, I've died numerous times underwater. The saving grace is at least the game retains the collectibles you obtained before that point. One of the toughest things to do actually is avoid damage in those cavern sections with powerful tide currents and urchins and stalagmites/stalactites everywhere, esp after the camera gets yanked and stops tracking from behind you. Thank GOD they didn't make negotiating those sections with no damage an optional objective.

If you've not tried it yet, Ambergris Key is one of the more interesting underwater adventures. It's got a good mix of tricky stuff, and some challenging combat and/or stealth.

Jdeadevil
12-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Cool, thanks for the tips :)

SlendySlasher
12-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Pretty much everyone else said, but yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the diving parts. Mainly because, I kinda find it very unrealistic when there are 4-5 great white sharks all within 50 feet of each other, all trying to kill me. But hey, it's a game, so I'll deal with it.

That being said, the crocodiles... That one mission where you're tracking through the swamp... I hated that so much. Eavesdrop missions in the dark are already hard enough. Add to that a metric but-load of guards, and a crocodile attack every 3-5 seconds, and I was almost to ragequit point. Had to take a breather and come up with a whole new strategy. :)

Jdeadevil
12-29-2013, 04:16 AM
Lol oh God I hated that one. You mean the one where you tail through the maze island using the Jackdaw and have to continue on foot? Yeah I hated that, I rage quit twice before I remembered I had tools that could put them to sleep or make them kill other guards, those helped a lot. And then the bad-*** escape scene ruined by the fact every guard has a gun.

SlendySlasher
12-29-2013, 05:15 AM
Lol oh God I hated that one. You mean the one where you tail through the maze island using the Jackdaw and have to continue on foot? Yeah I hated that, I rage quit twice before I remembered I had tools that could put them to sleep or make them kill other guards, those helped a lot. And then the bad-*** escape scene ruined by the fact every guard has a gun.

This made me laugh. My sentiments exactly. The whole chase scene was like - WTF, why so many guards, and why am I getting shot every 2 seconds.

Sleep darts helped a lot, but really, I just got lucky and eventually ran through it. Dodging and weaving. :)

Also, the optional objective was really annoying. Seriously, why do I have to skin a crocodile while I'm tailing 2 guards? That's totally irrelevant. At least make the optional objectives make sense Ubi.

Frag_Maniac
12-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Had to take a breather and come up with a whole new strategy. :)

But that's the beauty of it, it offers some unanticipated suspense the first time through, but then once you become familiar with the route, you can pace yourself and scope out the crocs, enemies and obstacles and bushes to use. After that it becomes enjoyable to just watch the croc eat the other guy for a change. LOL