PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Question. Am I missing something? (Minor spoilers)

martoq
12-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Afternoon all. I've been lurking for awhile and have played AC since the beginning. Never had I felt the need to post a question because I have always found the AC stories entertaining and well written.

Until I played AC4. I am not trying to be impatient and I am not going to judge the game until I finish. I am about a quarter of the way through and I am throughly confused. Mainly my issue is with the beginning of the game. If these questions are answered later then please please by all means just tell me to be patient and I will apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Kenway kills the Assassin and steals his uniform and heads to Havana. Ok got that. Why exactly then when he gets there does he suddenly have eagle vision, knows where assassin coops are and knows how to use the hidden blades. I will give the free running the benefit of the doubt because of the similarities to being on a ship and climbing a lot. The rest however makes 0 sense to me. It seems like the writers and coders were rushed and didn't spend much time on the intro.

Right now it it feels rushed and there feels like very little depth to the character. He's a pirate looking for money. Ok...cool. Hope to hear more as to why.

The same thing happened when you first get the Jackdaw. You can immediately get into combat and fight and can be attacked. Only AFTER you reach Nassau do you get a ship tutorial. Again it feels like rushed writing and coding.

I won't go onto the technical complaints I have because there have been constant threads on that already and there's no point rehashing it. This problem with the initial story however I have not found much discussion on.

i have high hopes but am I going to be let down? Are these things just never going to get explained?

Thanks in advance.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Part of this has to do with Desmond's bloodline.

Subject 16 asks Desmond "Why do you we have these abilities? Because it's in our blood" or something similar to that. I chalk up almost everything to being a privateer for two years before he takes Walpole's robes, except for hidden blade combat, which I guess can be attributed to the bloodline thing.

The game does get better though, especially with his character.

However, I totally agree on the ship pillaging and Assassin Contracts. On my second play through, I didn't touch them. They should have made the Jackdaw injured or out of ammo until you reached Nassau and locked off Assassin Contracts until... later in the game when you are introduced to them.

Charles_Phipps
12-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Afternoon all. I've been lurking for awhile and have played AC since the beginning. Never had I felt the need to post a question because I have always found the AC stories entertaining and well written.

Until I played AC4. I am not trying to be impatient and I am not going to judge the game until I finish. I am about a quarter of the way through and I am throughly confused. Mainly my issue is with the beginning of the game. If these questions are answered later then please please by all means just tell me to be patient and I will apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Kenway kills the Assassin and steals his uniform and heads to Havana. Ok got that. Why exactly then when he gets there does he suddenly have eagle vision, knows where assassin coops are and knows how to use the hidden blades. I will give the free running the benefit of the doubt because of the similarities to being on a ship and climbing a lot. The rest however makes 0 sense to me. It seems like the writers and coders were rushed and didn't spend much time on the intro.

1. He was born with Eagle vision. Assassins aren't taught it.

2. Memory out of synch. However, my joke was that he was just taking Hitman contracts without knowing who they were from.

3. He's bluffing his way through.

Kaschra
12-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Right now it it feels rushed and there feels like very little depth to the character. He's a pirate looking for money. Ok...cool. Hope to hear more as to why.

The same thing happened when you first get the Jackdaw. You can immediately get into combat and fight and can be attacked. Only AFTER you reach Nassau do you get a ship tutorial. Again it feels like rushed writing and coding.

I won't go onto the technical complaints I have because there have been constant threads on that already and there's no point rehashing it. This problem with the initial story however I have not found much discussion on.

i have high hopes but am I going to be let down? Are these things just never going to get explained?

Thanks in advance.

Ezio and Connor already had Eagle Vision as a teenagers, you know? Before they joined the assassins. Some people are born with eagle vision, as Charles_Phipps said.
And Ezio instantly knew how to usethe hidden blade right after Leonardo repaired it. I don't think it is complicated to use.
So... why is it suddenly a problem that Edward knew how to use eagle vision and the hidden blades, when it was the same with Ezio?

And Edward already was a pirate before he got the Jackdaw, so he should have at least a bit experience with naval warfare.

Charles_Phipps
12-26-2013, 11:47 PM
The joke is basically, Assassins are badass but not so badass that a sufficiently tough person can't imitate them.

SixKeys
12-26-2013, 11:47 PM
There's definitely some inconsistency between the writing/tutorials and the gameplay. It shouldn't be possible to accept contracts or destroy forts until you're introduced to them in the story. This is what happens when you've got too many separate teams working on each individual element of the game, you lose the big picture. :/

pirate1802
12-27-2013, 09:18 AM
I for one actually like it that you can do pretty much everything right from the get-go, even before they are formally introduced. The world is completely open from the start. You can do anything. I like that, even if, as Sixkeys says.. it does lead to some inconsistencies. I think it was a conscious decision on the dev's part rather than a mistake/oversight.

As for the rest, Kenway was already an established pirate, it would be hard to imagine he doesn't know how to attack and board ships right from the start until someone reminds him. The tutorial bit in Nassau was only for the player's benefit. There's even a little tidbit between him and Hornigold which basically translates to Aight Edward, I know you know you stuff, but let's just recap things. People who have Eagle vision always know how to use it, Ezio did. So did Connor, nobody taught them to. As for the hidden blade.. he improvised as he went along. By his dialogs with Rogers and Du Casse, you can sense that Edward doesnt actually know how to use this thing and is merely learning it as he goes along.

Fatal-Feit
12-27-2013, 09:21 AM
There's definitely some inconsistency between the writing/tutorials and the gameplay. It shouldn't be possible to accept contracts or destroy forts until you're introduced to them in the story. This is what happens when you've got too many separate teams working on each individual element of the game, you lose the big picture. :/

They're trying to not make the same mistake that was in AC:3. Which I think was a good move.

SixKeys
12-27-2013, 02:39 PM
They're trying to not make the same mistake that was in AC:3. Which I think was a good move.

I understand they wanted to show the player there's plenty of stuff to do, but assassination contracts are just one side activity. They could have easily been unlocked at the same time as Templar hunt missions, i.e. after they're introduced in the story. It's also weird that you're able to solve Mayan steale puzzles before you even know why. I feel like this is a pacing problem - some stuff is introduced way too late in the story. Either introduce them earlier or just leave them out of the tutorials, let the player figure them out themselves. Forts are a good example of this: on my second playthrough I actually refused to take over a single fort until the story formally introduced the concept to me. It actually made it difficult to progress because the area around Tulum is well guarded, so if you don't take over the fort in that area before traveling to Tulum for the first time, it's gonna be a lot more annoying. Your map also stays clouded for a very long time if you don't take over forts until the tutorial mission happens, so they're practically forcing the player to do stuff out of order.

Charles_Phipps
12-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Eh, two ways of looking at it.

1. You're doing the memory out of sequence.

2. Edward is accepting contracts from employers he doesn't know to kill people.