PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Graphics Issues?

HipsterLobster
12-26-2013, 04:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I got AC4 for Christmas, and I've been trying to play it, but I'm constantly getting about 17FPS on the settings I want to use. If I put all settings on low and try to play, I still only get about 24FPS. Keep in mind, I can run games like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, and Dark Souls on Ultra settings. I am using a gaming laptop.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3610QM @ 2.30 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M w/ 2GB RAM

I can provide any other specs upon request. Help would be much appreciated.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Unfortunately, the game is not optimized for laptops. However, the real issue (from what I'm gathering anyway) is that V Sync doesn't have Triple Buffering in this game. That being said, you can use D3DOverrider and set the option to Force Triple Buffering for this game.

Or, you can use Nvidia's control panel to do it, however people are reporting better results with D3D over Nvidia's control panel.

HipsterLobster
12-26-2013, 04:38 AM
I have "force triple buffering" set to on and "force vsync" set to off. Should they both be on? I have vsync on in-game but I can turn that off.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 04:42 AM
No, let the game run V-Sync itself, don't force that.

Secks_Nugget
12-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Join the club my friend. I just got the game today (on Xmas) from my bro and expected MUCH more. I raided the web for hours, looking for solutions and all I found were gamers who own PCs with magnificent components and hardware well above the "recommended requirements" experiencing the same difficulties as we are. I also run Skyrim and BioShock on the highest possible settings, piece of cake.

Specs:

PC: Dell XPS 8700
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40 Ghz
RAM: 12GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7500 series (could be better lol )

Let's hope whoever bought you AC4 kept the receipt ;)

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Try lowering res too if you're running 1080p. Laptops screens are so small you don't need high res anyway. With that spec I also wouldn't even be running VSync, unless the screen tear is unbearable. If you can manage to leave Vsync off, there's no reason to run triple buffering.

HipsterLobster
12-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Okay, it's off on D3D and on in-game. However, even while forcing triple bufferng, I'm getting speeds of about 23FPS with all settings at their lowest-possible points

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Okay, it's off on D3D and on in-game. However, even while forcing triple bufferng, I'm getting speeds of about 23FPS with all settings at their lowest-possible points

Is it bearable with VSync off? If so, I'd run it that way. And what res are you running?

Join the club my friend. I just got the game today (on Xmas) from my bro and expected MUCH more. I raided the web for hours, looking for solutions and all I found were gamers who own PCs with magnificent components and hardware well above the "recommended requirements" experiencing the same difficulties as we are. I also run Skyrim and BioShock on the highest possible settings, piece of cake.

Specs:

My GPU is slightly more than twice the rec power according to Passmark, and I can run it fine, and it's not a fancy new $500-$700 GPU, it's a 7970 OC I got for $330 nearly a year ago with Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, and Hitman Absolution included free.

Your system could be balanced better for gaming. You have a smokin CPU, much better than my i7 950, but your GPU is weak like you said.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 05:02 AM

Specs:

I wish people would stop comparing other games to... well.. other games. It's a common misconception that because one game runs one well, then it must run all games well.

HipsterLobster
12-26-2013, 05:08 AM
I wish people would stop comparing other games to... well.. other games. It's a common misconception that because one game runs one well, then it must run all games well.

You're right, my mistake, I was just using them as an example earlier.

Is it bearable with VSync off? If so, I'd run it that way. And what res are you running?

It is, but I don't know what works best. And I'm running it at 1920x1080

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 05:22 AM
No problem, just saying a fact. And I know it's frustrating too.

XingHua31
12-26-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm getting around 25-40 FPS @ 1680x1050 with a 550 Ti & AMD A8 APU using the default settings (Environment V.High/Textures High/FXAA/Shadows Low/SSAO/God Rays Low/V-Sync Off) . Apart from the fact that I'm less than impressed with the game so far compared to AC2, and the amount of bugs I've encountered so far, I'm also getting graphical glitches. For instance, in a cutscene that just happened, Edward's clothes just started glitching like crazy, and kind of flying away from his body. Also on the loading screen, Edward's shoulder armour keeps flickering.. =I

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 07:39 AM
It is, but I don't know what works best. And I'm running it at 1920x1080

Without VSync should always be less taxing on the hardware, but with a laptop size screen, you also don't need that high a res. If you can bear it without Vysync, I would turn it off and cap the FPS at something like 40 to try and stabilize the frame rate window and keep your GPU cooler. You can set an FPS limit via MSI Afterburner or DxTory.

The average laptop screen of 17" at 1080p equals a pixel size of only .196mm. Displays of 30" and 2560x1600 res are considered very tight pixel pitch at .25mm. You could drop all the way to 1366x768 and still be only slightly larger than that at .27mm. That would also cut your pixel count in half and should somewhat ease the load on your GPU regarding texture fill rate.

I game at 1080p on a 32" HDTV, which is a .363mm pixel pitch. Trust me, 1080p is overrated when you're talking laptop size screens.

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm getting around 25-40 FPS @ 1680x1050 with a 550 Ti & AMD A8 APU using the default settings (Environment V.High/Textures High/FXAA/Shadows Low/SSAO/God Rays Low/V-Sync Off) . Apart from the fact that I'm less than impressed with the game so far compared to AC2, and the amount of bugs I've encountered so far, I'm also getting graphical glitches. For instance, in a cutscene that just happened, Edward's clothes just started glitching like crazy, and kind of flying away from his body. Also on the loading screen, Edward's shoulder armour keeps flickering.. =I

I'm pretty sure that's too high settings for that spec Xing. Here's what Nvidia recommends even for the non Ti 560, which is quite a bit more powerful:

AA-----------------FXAA
AO-----------------SSAO
Env Qual----------Normal
God Rays---------Off
Reflections--------Normal
Shadows----------High
Textures-----------High
Volumetric Fog---Off

Keep in mind your APU is also probably not as powerful as the Intels they're likely using to come up with these recommendations.

Source: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide