PDA

View Full Version : Question about Steam/Uplay

Zurvan7
12-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Hello

I'm new to uplay (since I purchase most stuff on Steam and GOG), but I had a question. I bought FO3_GOTY on Ubishop which has the lowest price right now. And to my surprise you could give the key into steam platform and activate it there (which is nice). So does this mean that I have now t copies of this game? (one on Uplay and one on Steam)

Or does this game require Steam in order to play? Where on ubishop are these information found? usually you'll see on steam that games like AC4 require you to install Uplay. So this means achievements etc will appear on Uplay and not on Steam?

Any advice will be appreciated. Also merry Xmas to all

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 12:29 AM
It's still just one copy, but both parties (Valve and Ubi) have their own accounting process to track it, which should sync with one another to some degree. There was a slight problem with that when the Freedom Cry DLC launched. Those of us with Gold Editions were supposed to get it free with our included Season Pass, but there was a delay because Ubi had not coded the Season Pass contents to include Freedom Cry. Despite that Steam Gold Edition owners got it quicker than Uplay Gold Edition owners, so Steam is not an issue like that troll "Questions2Ask" here goes around insisting.

I only have one game that's both Steam and UPlay, and it happens to be Black Flag Gold Edition. I was upset at first that you have to have both Steam and UPlay running to launch the game, but it hasn't been a problem. I just put Steam in offline mode and keep UPlay in online mode but with it's overlay turned off.

The way I set mine up is I launch Direct3D Overrider first, with it set to force triple buffering in Black Flag, then I set the UPlay shortcut in compatibility mode to launch without Visual Themes or Desktop Composition. After I launch UPLay and click Play on Black Flag, Steam automatically launches and I click Start in offline mode on little Steam launch window. The D3DO triple buffering allows you to run VSync without the game forcing a 30 FPS cap if the frame rate drops below 60, which makes it play MUCH smoother.

Questions2ask
12-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Hello

I'm new to uplay (since I purchase most stuff on Steam and GOG), but I had a question. I bought FO3_GOTY on Ubishop which has the lowest price right now. And to my surprise you could give the key into steam platform and activate it there (which is nice). So does this mean that I have now t copies of this game? (one on Uplay and one on Steam)

Or does this game require Steam in order to play? Where on ubishop are these information found? usually you'll see on steam that games like AC4 require you to install Uplay. So this means achievements etc will appear on Uplay and not on Steam?

Any advice will be appreciated. Also merry Xmas to all

Where ever you register the game is what is needed to install/launch/play the game. So if you activate it on Steam it's now under Steam agreement and becomes an actual Steam game even though UBISOFT made it.

The above situation is a little tricky to understand, which is why a lot of people have major problems understanding how things work. They think a Steam game (Which is a game registered to a Steam account) isn't a Steam game because the developer made it. However people don't get that Registering a game to an account such as Steam now makes the developer not held responsible for problems because you now have a 3rd party entity also in the mix and if there are problems the problem can be coming from the 3rd party software and so UBISOFT tech support will tell you to contact Steam because using a 3rd party application even though it's authorized, means you're not using ONLY what the company who made the game has used.

In short a steam copy of the game is being installed/launched/played through Steam and NOT UPLAY (Just look at what program you launch the game from, as well as if you try to launch the game without Steam Steam still starts up. A steam copy of a game is being launched and played THROUGH Steam, and UBISOFT cannot and does not fix Steam problems.

I explained that the best I can so I hope you understand

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Since Fallout 3 is a Bethesda game and not Ubisoft related, Uplay was just the distribution service and most likely will not save anything via Uplay, such as your saved games, achievements, etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say you would have a choice on what DRM to play it on, either Steam or Uplay. On Steam, it doesn't save via the Steam Cloud and since it's not a Ubisoft game, I doubt it saves there either.

Chances are, since it saves locally, you'll be able to use either/or. But if you move PCs, you won't be able to pick up where you left off, due to not having a Cloud Save.

I know for sure Fallout 3 saves locally and not with Steam Cloud, but I cannot say the same for Uplay.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Where ever you register the game is what is needed to install/launch/play the game. So if you activate it on Steam it's now under Steam agreement and becomes an actual Steam game even though UBISOFT made it.

The above situation is a little tricky to understand, which is why a lot of people have major problems understanding how things work. They think a Steam game (Which is a nothing more than a game registered to a Steam account) Registering a game to an account such as Steam now makes the developer not held responsible for problems because you now have a 3rd party entity also in the mix and if there are problems the problem can be coming from the 3rd party software and so UBISOFT tech support will tell you to contact Steam because using a 3rd party application even though it's authorized, means you're not using ONLY what the company who made the game has used.

In short a steam copy of the game is being installed/launched/played through Steam and NOT UPLAY (Just look at what program you launch the game from, as well as if you try to launch the game without Steam Steam still starts up. A steam copy of a game is being launched and played THROUGH Steam, and UBISOFT cannot and does not fix Steam problems.

I explained that the best I can so I hope you understand

Zurvan7,

Don't listen to this guy. Fallout's not even a Ubisoft game, so of course Ubisoft won't "fix" it. If you do have problems, you can go to the Bethesda forums, because Steam is just a delivery and distribution service in this case, and DRM. Nothing more.

Zurvan7
12-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Thank you for your answers. It's just weird to me that there is no indication on ubishop about how this game works. Fallout 3 GOTY was on sale and I bought it on Ubishop but in fact it's a Steam key, yet I didn't knew that (It doesn't require steam like New vegas).

But games like AC4 will have cloud save, achievements only on Uplay right?

@ MnemonicSyntax, Yes most Bethesda games have local saves...

Questions2ask
12-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Zurvan7,

Don't listen to this guy. Fallout's not even a Ubisoft game, so of course Ubisoft won't "fix" it. If you do have problems, you can go to the Bethesda forums, because Steam is just a delivery and distribution service in this case, and DRM. Nothing more.

If steam was just a delivery system (Which it's not) then you would be able to launch any game you registered steam except Valve game without needing steam.

What he also fails to understand is that when you register a game on Steam, they have full rights over your ability to use the game. YOu have to wait until your games Sync on Steam to even play games you have on Steam.

Also you are launching the game THROUGH steam NOT uplay

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 12:40 AM

And it's funny too how the Freedom Cry launch fiasco was nearly a non issue for Steam version owners. Those with UPlay Gold Editions were still waiting to get it long after we did. Hell, I think I finished playing it and went on to another play through of Black Flag before some of them even got it.

If anything, Valve are more diligent and quicker to fix and update things than Ubi are, even when it's Ubi's mistake and not their's. If I had a choice on a Ubi produced game between UPlay and Steam, I'd pick Steam every time, even WITH having to have both running to play the game. I just trust Valve that much more.

Questions2ask
12-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Thank you for your answers. It's just weird to me that there is no indication on ubishop about how this game works. Fallout 3 GOTY was on sale and I bought it on Ubishop but in fact it's a Steam key, yet I didn't knew that (It doesn't require steam like New vegas).

But games like AC4 will have cloud save, achievements only on Uplay right?
Fallout 3 is made by Zenimax Studio's so how did you purchase it from UBISOFT? Also Fallout 3 has never needed anything to play even before GOG got a hold of it you could just get the disk, install the game and play it, no accounts needed no nothing.

Do not mistake the Steam Cloud with the UPLAY cloud, your game save Sync to whatever cloud you registered the game on. People are under this impression that you can use a Steam resgitered game on UBISOFT things

Also people don't get that the the DLC for ACIV on Steam works the same way as UPLAY and that's also untrue, Sure it's the same DLC and sure it's for Black Flag, what people seem to cintinue being stupid on is the delivery system. There is a major reason why the problem is only going on with UPLAY and not Steam whic also prves the point I made.

You cannot compare anything on Steam to UBISOFT and UPLAY it doesn't work like that they're different systems and have different coding just because the game is the same doesn't mean where it's registered is.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Zurvan7,

Just a heads up, your save games DO NOT ALWAYS sync to whatever distribution service you use. Not every Steam game allows you to save your info and saved games to their cloud. I'm willing to bet, the same with Uplay and just Ubisoft games.

In the case of Black Flag, even if you bought it through Steam, your games would save on UPlay's Cloud, not Steam's.

Zurvan7
12-26-2013, 01:00 AM
well I think we are getting way out of topic. No one knows a clear answer I guess. FO3 is being sold for 2.50$ on ubishop. The game doesn't require steam, but it does require GFWL. So I bought it and thought that it would work on uplay only but then I get this activation thing through Steam. So I'm not sure why they just don't mention it on their store page.

That's why ask it on AC forum because in the Steam store you'll see achievements, Steam Cloud etc but you have to play it on Uplay to get those stuff? Does this apply to older AC games as well?

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Zurvan7,

Just a heads up, your save games DO NOT ALWAYS sync to whatever distribution service you use. Not every Steam game allows you to save your info and saved games to their cloud. I'm willing to bet, the same with Uplay and just Ubisoft games.

In the case of Black Flag, even if you bought it through Steam, your games would save on UPlay's Cloud, not Steam's.

Correct, and well stated and easy to understand, and that can be verified by the location of the save files as well. In Black Flag version bought via Steam for instance, they're at C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/savegames.

This, on the other hand, is a jumbled mess that makes no sense....

Also people don't get that the the DLC for ACIV on Steam works the same way as UPLAY and that's also untrue, Sure it's the same DLC and sure it's for Black Flag, what people seem to cintinue being stupid on is the delivery system. There is a major reason why the problem is only going on with UPLAY and not Steam whic also prves the point I made.

Zurvan7
12-26-2013, 01:03 AM
Ok now me understood this :p At least Ubi allows you to buy their games on different platforms unlike EA...

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 01:04 AM
well I think we are getting way out of topic. No one knows a clear answer I guess. FO3 is being sold for 2.50$ on ubishop. The game doesn't require steam, but it does require GFWL. So I bought it and thought that it would work on uplay only but then I get this activation thing through Steam. So I'm not sure why they just don't mention it on their store page.

That's why ask it on AC forum because in the Steam store you'll see achievements, Steam Cloud etc but you have to play it on Uplay to get those stuff? Does this apply to older AC games as well?

GFWL is being shut down early next year, so that could explain why the distribution works only on Steam, because I'm fairly sure Steam is taking over all GFWL information. I know they did it with Bioshock 2 and Arkham Asylum.

Zurvan7
12-26-2013, 01:09 AM
@MnemonicSyntax that could be it ;) Thank you again for all the info.