PDA

View Full Version : [PC] Exploring Directories RS and RS14

dm_gsxr
12-25-2013, 06:43 PM
There were a couple of interesting things I found.

First, someone mentioned two of the original songs were 'cleaned' up language wise. In the /Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Rocksmith/Content directory are two files: RS001DAMMITCLEAN.dat (10/25/2012) and RS001JEREMYCLEAN.dat (10/9/2013). That confirms that they were updated. I also note that of the indexed 142 files, I'm missing 20, 21, 23 and 24 plus any files after 142. Since it could start with 0, it could conform to the two CLEANed ones plus the three missing Christmas songs.

Second, in the Rocksmtih 2014 dlc directory are all the 2014 DLC files I've purchased plus three 'rs1compatibility' disc/dlc files. This tells me that the original DLC wasn't converted but modified. So the game loads the original songs/DLC and then loads the compatibility file in order for it to run in game.

From a technical curiosity point of view:

1. Do you (PC user) have the Christmas pack? I'm curious to see if the indexed files match specific songs or if they're just dropped into place (seems like they're indexed to specific songs since I'm missing 4+ and don't have the Christmas pack).

2. Is your rs1companabilitydisc_m.psarc/p.psarc/dlc_p.psarc files similar in size to mine? (222,016 KB, 222,016 KB, and 32,433 KB).

It seems to tell me that it might be a lot harder to just enable DLC on Steam from Rocksmith 1 since it goes into a different directory and might even use additional files for decoding before it can be loaded into Rocksmith 2014.

And of course, this is all poking about and supposition. Just idle tech poking. :)

Carl

thoman23
12-25-2013, 08:03 PM
There were a couple of interesting things I found.

First, someone mentioned two of the original songs were 'cleaned' up language wise. In the /Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Rocksmith/Content directory are two files: RS001DAMMITCLEAN.dat (10/25/2012) and RS001JEREMYCLEAN.dat (10/9/2013). That confirms that they were updated. I also note that of the indexed 142 files, I'm missing 20, 21, 23 and 24 plus any files after 142. Since it could start with 0, it could conform to the two CLEANed ones plus the three missing Christmas songs.

Second, in the Rocksmtih 2014 dlc directory are all the 2014 DLC files I've purchased plus three 'rs1compatibility' disc/dlc files. This tells me that the original DLC wasn't converted but modified. So the game loads the original songs/DLC and then loads the compatibility file in order for it to run in game.

From a technical curiosity point of view:

1. Do you (PC user) have the Christmas pack? I'm curious to see if the indexed files match specific songs or if they're just dropped into place (seems like they're indexed to specific songs since I'm missing 4+ and don't have the Christmas pack).

2. Is your rs1companabilitydisc_m.psarc/p.psarc/dlc_p.psarc files similar in size to mine? (222,016 KB, 222,016 KB, and 32,433 KB).

It seems to tell me that it might be a lot harder to just enable DLC on Steam from Rocksmith 1 since it goes into a different directory and might even use additional files for decoding before it can be loaded into Rocksmith 2014.

And of course, this is all poking about and supposition. Just idle tech poking. :)

Carl

1. Yes I do. I am also missing 20, 21, 23, and 24 in the list. They are therefore not related to the Christmas songs.
2. My files are EXACTLY the same size, down to the KB.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that RS2014 actually loads up data from the RS1 folders. If so, I don't think that's the case, as I've heard it said that you can safely uninstall RS1 and still have access to all of your RS1 content in RS2014. I haven't uninstalled mine, so I don't know for sure, but that seems to indicate that all of the data you need is in those compatibility files you mentioned.

TheJohnNewton
12-25-2013, 10:01 PM
It seems to tell me that it might be a lot harder to just enable DLC on Steam from Rocksmith 1 since it goes into a different directory and might even use additional files for decoding before it can be loaded

Carl

Not sure what you mean exactly? All songs from RS1 were redone in the new format using the expanded features in 2014. To add a new song you can do it all in a psarc file in 2014. In RS1 it was done in dat files.

dm_gsxr
12-26-2013, 02:08 PM
1. Yes I do. I am also missing 20, 21, 23, and 24 in the list. They are therefore not related to the Christmas songs.
2. My files are EXACTLY the same size, down to the KB.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that RS2014 actually loads up data from the RS1 folders. If so, I don't think that's the case, as I've heard it said that you can safely uninstall RS1 and still have access to all of your RS1 content in RS2014. I haven't uninstalled mine, so I don't know for sure, but that seems to indicate that all of the data you need is in those compatibility files you mentioned.

Interesting to hear. So the content is there but Steam has to unlock it. I didn't want to try and uninstall to confirm but I wonder if the songs stick around anyway. I didn't total the DLC file sizes to see if the total matches the compatibility file size. I'll have to check when I get home.

Carl

dm_gsxr
12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Not sure what you mean exactly? All songs from RS1 were redone in the new format using the expanded features in 2014. To add a new song you can do it all in a psarc file in 2014. In RS1 it was done in dat files.

Well it depends. It does seem odd that they'd create a single 'compatibility' file that holds every RS1 Disc and DLC arrangement. Why not just straight convert each of the Disc and DLC songs into psarc files?

But if you look in the DLC directory, you see just the DLC for 2014 plus the three Compatibility files. So logically it sounds like the compatibility files only have the necessary adjustments to bring the old DLC into line. So if you don't have the old DLC, the compatibility files won't work. If the compatibility file has all the songs and Rocksmith isn't necessary then it shouldn't be such a big deal to enable the purchase of the old DLC since it's available in its entirety.

Heck, maybe Steam has simply said they aren't changing their code for one product and Ubisoft is spending time actually merging the old dat files with the compatibility files to create all new psarc files.

I'll have to do some experimentation I guess. Off line and rename the old Rocksmith directory.

Carl

eevilways
12-26-2013, 09:10 PM
I can say for sure that you do not need Rocksmith installed to have your songs in Rocksmith 2014. After installing 2014 I went and uninstalled the original Rocksmith and I still have all of my DLC and everything in it.

TheJohnNewton
12-27-2013, 04:26 AM
I would think the Steam issue is completely independent of RS code or its implementation. They must have really baked that check firmly into their design.