PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person who still hlods down A/X while freerunning?

TomEmilioDavies
12-25-2013, 04:35 PM

JumpInTheFire13
12-25-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't. I like the new system because it frees up my thumb so I can control the camera

TomEmilioDavies
12-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. But I do it out of habbit without thinking about it.

SixKeys
12-25-2013, 09:43 PM
I do (Space on PC). Same when swimming.

oliacr
12-25-2013, 09:54 PM
I did, but now I don't. I'm getting used to it.

Kaschra
12-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I still do that most of the time.
Old habits die hard.

I-Like-Pie45
12-25-2013, 10:56 PM
I didn't even realize that X no longer did anything when I first started playing AC3.

DinoSteve1
12-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I did for a while but broke the habit quickly, but when I went back to play ACII, I kept forgetting to press it. While it is better that you don't have to press x to run, I really wish the left it so you need to press x to climb.

LoyalACFan
12-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Only when I want to vault over something.

I don't. I like the new system because it frees up my thumb so I can control the camera

Maybe it's just me, but I never had any issue using the camera with the old system. Thumb on X/Middle finger on R1/Index finger on camera control. It was never uncomfortable for me, but I do have pretty big hands.

Shahkulu101
12-26-2013, 09:02 AM
No, but I wish I could and it would work the same way as previous games. The new system is clumsy as hell.

The controls were fine IMO, it's what we can do with Parkour that matters and what I'd like to see innovated.

KazuoMitarashi
12-26-2013, 09:11 AM
A lot of people seem uninformed about how the sprinting mechanic changed from Ezio's games. Holding the X/A button with R1 in AC3/AC4 helps you traverse the landscape more smoothly. A Good example is small fences. If you're just holding R1 to sprint and you come to a fence, you'll hop onto it then leap off of it. If you're holding X/A while sprinting, you'll do a cool little vault over it. Some fences or walls (with holes under them) allow you to slide under it instead of climb or hop over it.

LoyalACFan
12-26-2013, 10:06 AM
A lot of people seem uninformed about how the sprinting mechanic changed from Ezio's games. Holding the X/A button with R1 in AC3/AC4 helps you traverse the landscape more smoothly. A Good example is small fences. If you're just holding R1 to sprint and you come to a fence, you'll hop onto it then leap off of it. If you're holding X/A while sprinting, you'll do a cool little vault over it. Some fences or walls (with holes under them) allow you to slide under it instead of climb or hop over it.

Pretty sure you have to hold Circle to slide under stuff. Though I've done it by accident a few times in AC4 when I meant to go over something, so I'm not sure. It's definitely Circle in AC3.

TorQue1988
12-26-2013, 11:41 AM
I thought it was weird at first (using SHIFT on PC instead of RClick+SPACE) but it makes perfect sense (because most PC games use SHIFT for sprinting) and i adapted very quickly to it because it feels much more natural. Don't know how it would feel for you guys playing on consoles though.

SixKeys
12-26-2013, 12:15 PM
I thought it was weird at first (using SHIFT on PC instead of RClick+SPACE) but it makes perfect sense (because most PC games use SHIFT for sprinting) and i adapted very quickly to it because it feels much more natural. Don't know how it would feel for you guys playing on consoles though.

It's weird that they changed it to Shift for AC4. It was still right mouse button in AC3 like it's always been. I immediately remapped the AC4 controls to the old system. Hell, it already took me long enough to learn that E is no longer Eagle Vision. I still sometimes accidentally do something stupid when Edward goes to interact with something when I meant for him to use Eagle Vision.

aL_____eX
12-26-2013, 12:31 PM
On PS4 I'm still trying to run or fire (Naval) with L1 + R1. It's so weird, when you are used to run with R1 for 6 years in this game and now it's just R2. Only good thing is, you can adjust the speed of running now, like you did with R1 + X or without X in former AC games. :)

adventurewomen
12-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Since I'm an Xbox player the controls for old freerunning are RT + A. I still do press those buttons to freerunning it's an old habit from AC1, I really liked that way of freerunning, it's sad that these controls didn't stay it would have been still useful to use.

lothario-da-be
12-26-2013, 02:34 PM
I stopped pressing x afther i started playing with Connor, strange people are still doing it in ac4 :p

poptartz20
12-26-2013, 10:50 PM
I stopped pressing x afther i started playing with Connor, strange people are still doing it in ac4 :p

Haha.. I feel the same way! The only time I hit X button now is when I'm coming up to a fence or some other obstacle. No reason to have it down otherwise. Lol. I find it funny now when I try to go back to play the older games that I HAVE to hold down the X button.