PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed IV: Swivel guns problem...

Homertrix93
12-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Either i'm a total idiot and don't understand the Swivel guns or they just don't work for me.

When I've damaged a ship and it says i have to use Shift button to fire swivel guns, they wont fire.
I press shift and all the cannons are firing.

What am I doing wrong here.
Press shift, left click mouse button and the swivel guns should fire, right?

Questions2ask
12-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Either i'm a total idiot and don't understand the Swivel guns or they just don't work for me.

When I've damaged a ship and it says i have to use Shift button to fire swivel guns, they wont fire.

I just went into the game to do this, (E) grabs the Swivel gun not Shift. and yes Left Mouse Button Fires it. I believe Shift is Heavy Shot

Syr.Jake
12-25-2013, 05:37 AM
Did you go to the swivel gun? If you haven't released the Jackdaws wheel, then your shooting will be the broadside cannons, and not the swivel cannon.

Frag_Maniac
12-25-2013, 06:28 AM
You don't just press the assigned swivel gun button/key, you hold it until it swivels into place. When they're aimed at the damaged portions the reticule over the damaged portion of the ship turns red. Only then will it fire, and then you release and have to hold and release again until there are no more damaged spots to shoot. When swivel guns are upgraded to elite, you only have to hold down the button/key once and they will automatically shoot all damaged hull portions one after the other very quickly.

I bound swivel guns to my closest thumb button on my mouse, makes it a LOT easier to navigate while using swivels.

Syr.Jake
12-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Ah, my mistake. There are 2 ways to use the Swivel Guns. 1 during boarding, and 2 for targets hits to weakened areas of a ship. Check you keybinds to ensure that the broadside cannons and the swivels are not using the same key to fire. With an Xbox controller the RT fires the cannons and the Y button fires the swivels.

Homertrix93
12-25-2013, 04:40 PM
You don't just press the assigned swivel gun button/key, you hold it until it swivels into place. When they're aimed at the damaged portions the reticule over the damaged portion of the ship turns red. Only then will it fire, and then you release and have to hold and release again until there are no more damaged spots to shoot. When swivel guns are upgraded to elite, you only have to hold down the button/key once and they will automatically shoot all damaged hull portions one after the other very quickly.

I bound swivel guns to my closest thumb button on my mouse, makes it a LOT easier to navigate while using swivels.

Hmm.. I've tried that too.. pressed shift button and the swivel target appears and when they are aimed at those damaged areas, all red too, it still fires from all the cannons.

And shouldn't it be possible to fire swivel gun even though I'm not in a fight??

medavroog
12-25-2013, 07:26 PM

During Naval Combat:

When the enemy ship displays "red target-like" icons on its body, and only at this moment can the swivel guns be used ...
... to use the swivel guns, press the "shift" key and then release the key when the "aiming" is finished.
... the "aiming" is shown as a "tracer line".
... the default key is "shift" for keyboard-mouse, it can be different for game-controller or shall you have re-mapped the keys.
... shall you have upgraded the swivel guns to the max, holding down the "shift" (or the key re-mapped) will automatically fire them.

During Boarding Enemy:

After the "boarding" command is issued, and when you are able to let go of the wheel ... walk over to the swivel guns facing the enemy ship ... press the "use" key, and fire it with the "attack" key.

Homertrix93
12-25-2013, 10:00 PM
During Naval Combat:

When the enemy ship displays "red target-like" icons on its body, and only at this moment can the swivel guns be used ...
... to use the swivel guns, press the "shift" key and then release the key when the "aiming" is finished.
... the "aiming" is shown as a "tracer line".
... the default key is "shift" for keyboard-mouse, it can be different for game-controller or shall you have re-mapped the keys.
... shall you have upgraded the swivel guns to the max, holding down the "shift" (or the key re-mapped) will automatically fire them.

During Boarding Enemy:

After the "boarding" command is issued, and when you are able to let go of the wheel ... walk over to the swivel guns facing the enemy ship ... press the "use" key, and fire it with the "attack" key.

Aha... now I got it... just using shift to fire.. Didn't get that through my head, now I know I am a complete idiot.. Thanks :)

medavroog
12-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Aha... now I got it... just using shift to fire.. Didn't get that through my head, now I know I am a complete idiot.. Thanks :)

You are not an idiot, this is just a game feature that can easily over-looked. Please stop thinking yourself as an idiot.

Frag_Maniac
12-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Hmm.. I've tried that too.. pressed shift button and the swivel target appears and when they are aimed at those damaged areas, all red too, it still fires from all the cannons.

And shouldn't it be possible to fire swivel gun even though I'm not in a fight??

Are you sure you're not mistaking swivel guns firing for cannons firing? What makes you think it's the cannons are firing instead? Are you hearing several booms one after another even without swivel guns upgraded to elite? If so, that shouldn't be happening.

The only way to use swivel guns while not in actual naval combat is while boarding. Then you just walk up to them and manually take control of them and aim them. As long as you're not riding an extremely high or low wave, manually using swivel guns is very handy for quickly taking out incapacitated Schooners and Brigs. It's very easy to kill the required 5 guys for Schooners with the 5 shots you have, and quite often I've taken out the 10 required for Brigs with 5 shots. That way you don't even have to actually board them.

Also, if you're playing with the default HUD indicators, it should actually SHOW you what key to press for manually aiming swivels while boarding, and pretty much any other prompt. One thing they really got right with this game is it's very good at adjusting prompts to remapped buttons/keys as well. Even after mapping swivels to my thumb button, it shows a little mouse icon with the thumb button highlighted, very cool. I'm playing this run through with no HUD though. I don't even know how many crew I have or what condition my ship is in, just have to wing it. It adds a a nice challenge though.

Homertrix93
12-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Not a problem anymore.. figured it out

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Not a problem anymore.. figured it out

LOL, not a very good (or respectful) way to put it lad. Obviously you were being tutored more than figuring on your own.

At least you got it sorted anyway, with the help of a lot of people's responses.

Questions2ask
12-26-2013, 03:35 AM
LOL, not a very good (or respectful) way to put it lad. Obviously you were being tutored more than figuring on your own.
Quit being a condescending ***. No matter what anyone says on this forum, you and your brigade always have something to say just to provoke arguments.

Frag_Maniac
12-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Quit being a condescending ***. No matter what anyone says on this forum, you and your brigade always have something to say just to provoke arguments.

That's almost laughable coming from you, sadly though it's just pathetic instead. Have an antagonizing holiday, after all, there seems to be no changing your demented ways.