PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a better combat system for the next Assassins Creed game.

salman147
12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
The combat was okay,but it could have been better and tougher.And way more complex.So here are some ideas:
1)Make the combat system as fast as that in AC3.
2)Adjust the camera to stay fixed on the playable character so that it doesn't get drifted away like it does when you begin a fight with enemies while playing as Ed or Connor.
3)Make the enemy AI more responsive to look out for open areas while you're fighting another guy.Like for example:You're beating up a guy,while another guy just stands there and watches while you finish that guy off.Why won't he attack?Why will he wait?
4)Give more options to counter when enemies counter our attacks.Like in Batman Arkham Origins.
5)More weapons and gadgets to use like throwing dust,or bottles or other environmental objects to distract opponents to open a room for attack by stunning them.
6)Increase more varied enemy archetypes.
7)Allow us to carry long ranges weapons like muskets,spears,axe etc.
8)Option to dual wield or single wield weapons as per player choice.

Your ideas are welcome.

MnemonicSyntax
12-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Can't read this, the font is really small.

Why not just use the standard font?

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
12-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I have removed the formatting.

salman147
12-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I guess this is okay.Well,any ideas?

MnemonicSyntax
12-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks Mush, sorry to be a pain, I'm an old guy.

To the OP:

Some good ideas here, in Freedom Cry, you get to carry a pretty sweet blunderbuss.

And, this video right here has "made combat better" for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiepNyZQFQs

As you can see, you can also be interrupted during the combat, and this somewhat replaces double counter kills that were highly present in 3.

oliacr
12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
1. Option for dual-wield or single handed.
a. Option for every type of dual wield such as.
-sword and sword
-axe and axe
-sword and axe
- and the more weapon we have the more choice we have ( rope darts, pistols etc...)
2. Lots of animations for each and every type of weapons such as one-handed-swords/axes, two-handed-swords/axes. (more if we have)
3. Make the enemies tougher and not by that they kill me in 2hit.
4. Make more types of enemies not just Shooter, Simple, Fast, Strong.
5. If we have the chance of a game take place in the middle ages and we can take part in big battles allow us the horseback fighting. (I know that I can use my sword on horseback but this hasn't got any animations just one slice and thats all. (It would great in CHINA/JAPAN - just a thought)
6. More stealth weapons to kill with

So my ideas are basically to focus a bit more on the weapons and animations. For someone it can be repetitive to see the exact same animation for each type of weapon.

One of my favourite games Severance Blade of Darkness has a very good combat system, though the game is old. 2001 but it still has a better combat system than most of todays games.

BK-110
12-25-2013, 03:05 AM
I'd say...

- Bring back AC1's offensive combat (carefully time moves to execute enemies, heavy attacks that can open their defenses and guards getting distracted so you can finish them off with throwing knives or the hidden blade)
- Scrap kill streaks, they make the combat too easy
- Keep the current counter system
- Make it harder to time counter's
- Increase the probability of several enemies striking at once or in quick succession

In other words, AC1's offensive combat with AC3/4's defensive combat, more precise timing and more difficult enemies. Also bring back enemies that are as difficult as the Templars in AC1.

MnemonicSyntax
12-25-2013, 05:02 AM
I like kill streaks. However, I also like that in AC4, you can't do them to everyone. A mix of that would be nice. Take out the small guys in quick succession, then go for the big ones that you can't just storm through.

Stealth Gamer92
12-25-2013, 05:15 AM
No more neck breaking or head smashing stomps that just k.o. the victim.

pirate1802
12-25-2013, 05:19 AM
Here's my recipe of a good (for me atleast) combat system. And the best thing is it is doable without wildly altering their current system.

1. First and foremost make the counter window significantly lower. I think it was somewhat lowered from AC3 (not sure) but still needs to be removed further.
2. Counter kills should only work against lower rank enemies and weakened enemies. I liked the AC2 system where enemies would block your counter. They'd lose some health, but they won't be insta-killed. More particularly, I think the agiles patrolling the rooftops need to be immune to counter attacks in this fashion. Only the lowest level guards should be insta-counter killed.
3. Have more enemies attack at once, although some people didn't like it, but I liked that enemies would sometimes interrupt you attacks. Need more of that. But dont include dual counter opportunities then. That simply takes away the disadvantage of being attacked simultaneously.
4. Keep killstreaks as they are. I like it that some enemies fall to it while others block it. Just make it harder to initiate by making counters harder to initiate.
5. Bring back the health system. The current combo-based system is bollocks.
6.. More archtypes. More enemies who'd grab and throw you. Ideally I'd have liked one enemy harder than the captain level. This one should be like the Templars in AC1, who make you want to run away.. you get the point. Heavies throwing grenades was a good move. Need more of that. What about giving all enemies some sort of timed attacks of varying efficiency?

Thats all really. I don't want a super hard combat that makes it seem impossible to fight more than 4 guys at once, or something like that. I just don't want it super easy. I want it to be enjoyable.

ST7A Bad Karma
12-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Before implementing some of the outstanding ideas listed above, they have a laundry list of things to fix in their existing game. As is, in game now, if you get every upgrade for Edward as they become available, you're running in God Mode.

-Get rid of smoke bombs, or severely limit them. Level 1 Ammo Pouch upgrade = 1 smoke bomb, level 3 Ammo Pouch upgrade = 3 Smoke bombs. Add a 30 second cool down between use. Smoke bombs cannot be looted from enemies or purchased in shops. They must be crafted. As is, in game now, there's no reason to do anything else than spam up to 15 smoke bombs, and kill/assassinate defenseless enemies. Smoke bombs are game breaking, and the amount you can carry is ludicrous.

-Get rid of blow darts, or severely limit them. No upgrades to duration of effect, max darts you can carry should be 2. They cannot be looted(seriously... British and Spanish Line infantry carried poison darts??), they cannot be purchased(like they sold poison darts at "ye ole General Store"). Darts can only be crafted and crafting requirements should be substantially increased.

-Limit pistol rounds to 16 max(level III ammo pouch). That's 4 volleys if you're running 4 pistols. More than enough for any single skirmish. Allow Edward to replenish pistol ammo in the Captain's Cabin and by looting enemy bodies(bodies of soldiers that actually carried powder and ball).

-Make enemies scale in difficulty level as you upgrade Edward. Currently there is ZERO scaling in game.

Now to ADD to some of the suggestions listed above:

-More variation in enemy types. It's the same 5 archetypes throughout the game. The Brute with Axe, Marine with sword, Marine with Musket, the "Dandy" officer with Dagger, Ship Captain.

-The "town watch" should reinforce properly. In Black Flag I can litter the streets with dozens upon dozens of guards, and they never "call out" or "assemble" the guard back in the barracks.

-ENEMIES THAT SCALE as you progress though the story line, or they scale according to your upgrades.

dxsxhxcx
12-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I like kill streaks. However, I also like that in AC4, you can't do them to everyone. A mix of that would be nice. Take out the small guys in quick succession, then go for the big ones that you can't just storm through.

we should be able to counter the attack of these tougher enemies as well to continue the killstreak without completely break the flow (unless we fail to counter), this way IMO the combat would be more fluid, I also believe killstreaks shouldn't 1HKO our enemies until they reach a certain percentage of health (example: 30%, but this could vary from one archetype to other)

they should also make the guards be A LOT more offensive and make the counter window smaller

Before implementing some of the outstanding ideas listed above, they have a laundry list of things to fix in their existing game. As is, in game now, if you get every upgrade for Edward as they become available, you're running in God Mode.

-Get rid of smoke bombs, or severely limit them. Level 1 Ammo Pouch upgrade = 1 smoke bomb, level 3 Ammo Pouch upgrade = 3 Smoke bombs. Add a 30 second cool down between use. Smoke bombs cannot be looted from enemies or purchased in shops. They must be crafted. As is, in game now, there's no reason to do anything else than spam up to 15 smoke bombs, and kill/assassinate defenseless enemies. Smoke bombs are game breaking, and the amount you can carry is ludicrous.

-Get rid of blow darts, or severely limit them. No upgrades to duration of effect, max darts you can carry should be 2. They cannot be looted(seriously... British and Spanish Line infantry carried poison darts??), they cannot be purchased(like they sold poison darts at "ye ole General Store"). Darts can only be crafted and crafting requirements should be substantially increased.

since I despise the crafting system in AC, I believe a better idea would be make these "special" items available only on the Assassins' Bureau in each city

oliacr
12-26-2013, 03:08 PM

-Limit pistol rounds to 16 max(level III ammo pouch). That's 4 volleys if you're running 4 pistols. More than enough for any single skirmish. Allow Edward to replenish pistol ammo in the Captain's Cabin and by looting enemy bodies(bodies of soldiers that actually carried powder and ball).

-Make enemies scale in difficulty level as you upgrade Edward. Currently there is ZERO scaling in game.

-More variation in enemy types. It's the same 5 archetypes throughout the game. The Brute with Axe, Marine with sword, Marine with Musket, the "Dandy" officer with Dagger, Ship Captain.

-The "town watch" should reinforce properly. In Black Flag I can litter the streets with dozens upon dozens of guards, and they never "call out" or "assemble" the guard back in the barracks.

-ENEMIES THAT SCALE as you progress though the story line, or they scale according to your upgrades.
No need to limit anything or remove anything, that doesn't make sense, only make them a bit harder.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Nah, this is forcing the game to be more difficult for those that don't want it to be. You could instead, just not upgrade Edward, or buy/carry what you feel like is a good amount.

These aren't any sort of "fixes" just your personal preferences, in regards to the weapons you carry at least.

The guard thing I agree with.

Scaling enemies wouldn't work, because it would just be the same thing if it goes based on your own scale. I despise Skyrim for that and use a mod that allows any sort of enemy/mob to be at any level and attack me in any location. It makes it more real that way.

salman147
12-26-2013, 04:18 PM
What my opinion is: Make the game INCREDIBLY difficult but at the same time design it in a way that it's always your fault if you get killed.What I mean to say is that they should design the combat system to be just as fast and responsive as to fit the play style of any player but at the same time make it such that it needs the player to be extremely focused about the surroundings,the timing and the enemy stance during the fight so that IF the player dies during combat,it's only because of their own callousness.And they won't have to go screaming:THE DEVELOPERS ARE CHEATING.THIS GAME IS NONSENSE!! The combat is a life and death situation.That has to be remembered.
Also make enemies scalable so that they have a wide variety of weapons and effective armor.Make them such that stronger enemies will arrive the more you upgrade your weapons and armor so that the player doesn't feel overpowered.
And bring medicines that'll only work out of combat and not restore health skyrocketing it to full in less than a second like a miracle during mid combat.
Besides the developers have said that they had tons of brilliant ideas they didn't try in this game and are psyched to do so in the next upcoming game.They are also planning to overhaul the parkour system.I'm excited....

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 06:56 PM
You guys are acting like the enemies the Assassins fight should be equal or on some sort of parallel ground skill wise.

Combat could be more difficult, yes. Life and death, unless you're just seriously outmatched, it's not.

oliacr
12-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Or make a new combat system with new enemies and you can learn moves, if you are an assassin who are trained by assassins. You could learn new combos for each weapon or anything. The more you train the better you can possibly be.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Indeed. AC2 had this. I kinda miss it. Great idea oliacr

oliacr
12-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Indeed. AC2 had this. I kinda miss it. Great idea oliacr

AC 2 was a bit simple, because you have learned the most combos in the beginning of the game(except the jump&grab), and I would like to see a system where you have to learn all the combos for weapons. Not just training once and get all the combos and skills. You have to training on I don't know dummies or if you are in China on some friends like Ezio did with Mario. It would be nice. There would be several combos available, and as I said the more you train the more combos become available and the more you can use. (Its something like in GTA SA with the muscle :D If you had gone to the gym you would have big muscles)

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 07:25 PM
AC 2 was a bit simple, because you have learned the most combos in the beginning of the game(except the jump&grab), and I would like to see a system where you have to learn all the combos for weapons. Not just training once and get all the combos and skills. You have to training on I don't know dummies or if you are in China on some friends like Ezio did with Mario. It would be nice. There would be several combos available, and as I said the more you train the more combos become available and the more you can use. (Its something like in GTA SA with the muscle :D If you had gone to the gym you would have big muscles)

Right, I don't mean that training with Mario either. You could go back and "pay" to learn how to remove larger weapons from enemies, throw multiple knives at once, etc.

That's what I was referring to.

dxsxhxcx
12-26-2013, 07:32 PM

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeDasAr_kIA

oliacr
12-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes. Then ubi can make the combos for more buttons not just hitting the attack and def button.
Here you can earn your moves, not just have it in the beginning and every earning is a small success in the protagonist's life.

dxsxhxcx
12-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes. Then ubi can make the combos for more buttons not just hitting the attack and def button.
Here you can earn your moves, not just have it in the beginning and every earning is a small success in the protagonist's life.

a system like that would be amazing in AC BUT Sleeping Dogs has the benefit of have a higher focus on (non-lethal) hand to hand combat, so is easier to implement something like that the way we saw in the video, AC on the other hand has a lethal combat system, what means that they would probably need to create two sets of animation for one finishing move, the training animation, where we execute the combo without killing the target (imagine two people training with lethal weapons) and the finish animation that'll be used with enemies, and to be frank I doubt they would do that because they barely have time to work in the game at its current state, imagine the work they would have to implement something like this...

but if someday we have a game set on China or Japan, a higher focus on hand to hand combat and a system similar to the Sleeping Dogs one is a must...

aL_____eX
12-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Did anyone see the Gameplay of RYSE? I know, it's a launch title and the graphics are far more impressive than the physics, but I really like the way how combos work. To hurt your enemy and then kill him with a button combination. The Slow mo is really annoying, but the way the executions work is really nice. You could either execute your opponent or just kill him. AC would have to simplify this because of no EXP points etc.

Just a thought, but I have the say, I really enjoy the combat system by now, AC never has been to difficult and big combat is not the game's main aspect, it's one of the aspects that belong to AC gameplay

oliacr
12-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Did anyone see the Gameplay of RYSE? I know, it's a launch title and the graphics are far more impressive than the physics, but I really like the way how combos work. To hurt your enemy and then kill him with a button combination. The Slow mo is really annoying, but the way the executions work is really nice. You could either execute your opponent or just kill him. AC would have to simplify this because of no EXP points etc.

Just a thought, but I have the say, I really enjoy the combat system by now, AC never has been to difficult and big combat is not the game's main aspect, it's one of the aspects that belong to AC gameplay
Somebody said that the game is too repetitive. But AC is repetitive too with its animations. This haven't bothered me yet, because they can't create countless animations.

a system like that would be amazing in AC BUT Sleeping Dogs has the benefit of have a higher focus on (non-lethal) hand to hand combat, so is easier to implement something like that the way we saw in the video, AC on the other hand has a lethal combat system, what means that they would probably need to create two sets of animation for one finishing move, the training animation, where we execute the combo without killing the target (imagine two people training with lethal weapons) and the finish animation that'll be used with enemies, and to be frank I doubt they would do that because they barely have time to work in the game at its current state, imagine the work they would have to implement something like this...

but if someday we have a game set on China or Japan, a higher focus on hand to hand combat and a system similar to the Sleeping Dogs one is a must...

Connor and Edward too is hitting the enemy like twenty times before they die so they can use this to make combos on the other hand they don't need to create non-lethal animations if we are practicing on a dummy, like our master show us the move, and we are trying to do it on the dummy then we take our way into the city and try it out on templar guards :D

aL_____eX
12-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah, the animations recur after some time and their number is limited, that's true. The fact I wanted to bring out is how the combos work. If your enemy is wounded enough, you get the option to execute him with a combination of several buttons (the coloured ones). And that would make the game a bit more difficult, as you do not hit the opponent 3 times and then the killing animation starts, but you would have to press the right buttons that the animation and the kill works. I mean, optional for those who just don't want to counter kill and then do a kill chain on all other enemies.

MnemonicSyntax
12-26-2013, 08:17 PM
In Remember Me, the Pressen system was pretty awesome and unique, though I'm not sure how it would fit into AC.

oliacr
12-26-2013, 08:18 PM
I prefer the mechanic from one of my favourite game mentioned in another thread 2001 Severance Blade of Darkness. Where you had several combos with the buttons WASD, ARROWS(only for PC), and it could work in AC too i think.

Hans684
12-26-2013, 08:28 PM
For difficulty just lower the health of the player and bost the damage of enemies hight. And to gett the current combat you have to train(Optinal) and upgrade(Optinal), you don't start the game with the ability to let's say chain-kill, but when you have trained you gett it.

Training gives skills.

Upgrading gives health.

MIA SILENT
12-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Yeah, AC's combat is the equivalent of playing Ball Cup. Except in Ball Cup there's a higher probability of you losing.

oliacr
12-26-2013, 11:17 PM
For difficulty just lower the health of the player and bost the damage of enemies hight. And to gett the current combat you have to train(Optinal) and upgrade(Optinal), you don't start the game with the ability to let's say chain-kill, but when you have trained you gett it.

Training gives skills.

Upgrading gives health.
Lowering the health and boosting the damage is .... they did it in AC4 comparing to AC3.

pirate1802
12-27-2013, 09:04 AM
In Remember Me, the Pressen system was pretty awesome and unique, though I'm not sure how it would fit into AC.

Ahhh glad someone mentioned it. I feel like I'm the only person in the whole wide world who actually liked that game's combat.

Anyway, I'm not in a favour of limiting smokes, darts etc. Sure the can be overpowered sometimes, but they also allow me to completely ghost missions, plantations etc. I'd like to keep it that way. The biggest thing they need to do imo, is bring back the health-based system and have counter kills only work on enemies (except the low-ranking ones) when they are low on health. Currently the game is too much counter based. Do these two things and the combat would already look much better to me.

oliacr
12-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Ahhh glad someone mentioned it. I feel like I'm the only person in the whole wide world who actually liked that game's combat.

Anyway, I'm not in a favour of limiting smokes, darts etc. Sure the can be overpowered sometimes, but they also allow me to completely ghost missions, plantations etc. I'd like to keep it that way. The biggest thing they need to do imo, is bring back the health-based system and have counter kills only work on enemies (except the low-ranking ones) when they are low on health. Currently the game is too much counter based. Do these two things and the combat would already look much better to me.
They won't bring back the health system. I don't know which is better that or the current system. I don't have any problems with this or that. But there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

pirate1802
12-27-2013, 10:07 AM
They won't bring back the health system. I don't know which is better that or the current system. I don't have any problems with this or that. But there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I didnt mean for the player, but for the enemies. Now it is combo based. You slash an enemy five times, but as long as you don't deliver the killing blow, he survives just fine. Then you have to slash him five more times to reach that point. And so on..

oliacr
12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
I didnt mean for the player, but for the enemies. Now it is combo based. You slash an enemy five times, but as long as you don't deliver the killing blow, he survives just fine. Then you have to slash him five more times to reach that point. And so on..

Ah yes, that was a bit annoying. Though I haven't really stopped any attack on enemies yet :D If I attack them they will die.

dxsxhxcx
12-27-2013, 10:17 AM

since low-ranking soldiers are the majority of enemies we find, IMO your suggestion should apply to them as well.. they should also bring back the abilities (all) the guards had in AC1 like break our defense (don't know why these were removed) and make them be more agressive instead of sit and wait to be slaughtered (IMO the main problem with AC combat and one that persist since the first game, this awful scenario still being present after 6 games only shows how Ubisoft really is interested in improve combat).

Hans684
12-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Lowering the health and boosting the damage is .... they did it in AC4 comparing to AC3.

Then lower it again and bost the damage even higher(all enemy this time).

Meaning you in the end you make own difficulty. Don't want to learn new skills and opgrade becouse it will be to easy then, then don't do any of em.

To learn skill you have to train in a traing area like AC1 & AC2, but not all skills is going to accessble in the begging(one counter kil, chain-kills ect). They unlock trough the story.
For upgrading you need to upgrade each health bar one at the time and of corse stuff like a new holster ect, like skill it will unlock trough the story.

oliacr
12-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Meaning you in the end you make own difficulty. Don't want to learn new skills and opgrade becouse it will be to easy then, then don't do any of em.

To learn skill you have to train in a traing area like AC1 & AC2, but not all skills is going to accessble in the begging(one counter kil, chain-kills ect). They unlock trough the story.
For upgrading you need to upgrade each health bar one at the time and of corse stuff like a new holster ect, like skill it will unlock trough the story.

Yes yes, but then they should bring back the armor. If we go back to the middle ages, we should have armors again, not just health upgrade by killing animals, both.

Hans684
12-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes yes, but then they should bring back the armor. If we go back to the middle ages, we should have armors again, not just health upgrade by killing animals, both.

It's obvious that we will have some way of armor system in a game in the middle ages. The idea fits all settings and times, whether it is armor or not.

dxsxhxcx
12-27-2013, 02:17 PM

what if a player wants to experience all the content the game has to offer and still find some challenge?

oliacr
12-27-2013, 03:58 PM
It's obvious that we will have some way of armor system in a game in the middle ages. The idea fits all settings and times, whether it is armor or not.

I hope so, and yes that does make sense. Every timeframe before 1600-1700 should contain the armors.

Hans684
12-27-2013, 04:34 PM
what if a player wants to experience all the content the game has to offer and still find some challenge?

Tricky but i like it.

Anyway then can play on another save file, bad really but one way of solving it.

Or the more you upgrade and more skills you gett the more the city will react becouse you have more power(reputation system someone mention a while back on another forum).
The more skilled you gett the less of lower rank guards there would be in city's/frontier/sea and will be replaced with guards simular to Templars(AC1), papal guards(ACB), janissarys & stalkers(ACR), the level 3 guards from AC3(can't remember their name) & hunters from ACIVBF.

Or one guard you can't kill an a fight, they have to taken out stealthy. If you try, you will end up dead.

Or former assassins, some random assassins turned templars for X reson stalk the city's and hunt you even in frontier/sea and have all skills you have and every weapon(when you fully upgraded). You can kill em in a fight you just have to use every skill you and not just go up and fight them like a normal guard.

Gibbo2g_83
12-27-2013, 06:26 PM
I think they should introduce a system were the more you use each type of weapon the better you become with it i.e. faster and more deadly. I think the biggest problem with making combat harder is that it would completely spoil the game if you were forever waiting for guards to attack you so you can counter them nothing makes you feel less assassin like than that I like going into large groups of guards and taking them out seamlessly. I think they should make more guards attack you at once as well like it was in 3 I know it happens in Black Flag as well but not very much I think I've only seen it about 4 times in about 150 hours of game play. In the next game I also think they need to let you choose which weapon is in each direction again like it was in 3 I hated that they changed that in 4 having to press left 3 times to use the rope dart or 4 times to use the throwing knife.
I like the idea in the comment above too about having Templar assassins stalking you they could maybe have counter icons that change colour so instead of just pressing 1 button to counter you press the button corresponding with the colour I think that would make Assassin v Assassin fights epic as long as they make it random so its not the same order of buttons every time.

ST7A Bad Karma
12-28-2013, 04:14 AM
No need to limit anything or remove anything, that doesn't make sense, only make them a bit harder.

The ability to carry 15 smoke bombs... doesnt need some adjustment? The fact that they have ZERO cool down, makes being able to carry 5 overpowered, much less 10 to 15. If you're upgrading Edward as each upgrade becomes available, as well as crafting upgrades.... unless you havent done much gaming, you're playing in God mode the entire story line because there's NOTHING in game that can defeat you on land, or while boarding at sea.

I had to restart my first run though last week, when I was about 45% complete, because my ship and Edward were so overpowered. They were overpowered because I upgraded my ship and Edward as soon as the upgrades opened up. Wrong move on my part. If you purchase/craft upgrades as they unlock during the story line, you're outrageously overpowered very early in the game, and all challenge goes right out the window.

I'm about 50% into my second storyline right now, I never use smoke bombs or darts, only carry 3 pistols, with 10 rounds. I've chose to only use pistols and swords with low stats. I've also neglected many of my ship upgrades, lvl 3 hull, lvl 3 cannons, lvl 2 mortars, lvl 2 crew, basic heavy shot, basic round shot, and no zero upgrades for cargo. The game is infinitely more challenging with my self imposed handicaps. I'd say I'm using about 25% of the weapons/upgrades available for purchase or crafting.

While I actually love the combat animations, and the block/counter/riposte mechanic, there needs to be more variety in enemy types and behavior. In addition you're blocks you're break defense shouldnt be 100% guaranteed. The AI enemies are some of the worst AI I've seen in a video game. The fact that they don't scale(get harder) as you level or progress through the story line is inexcusable.

What's really hard to fathom the fact that they dont at least offer Easy, Normal, Hard settings. Is there a setting lower than "Easy"?? Because that's what you experience in the Black Flag story line. You make waaaay too much money, crafting requirements for materials is dumbed down to an extreme, it's too easy to repair your ship at sea, too cheap to repair your ship in port, you're ship often magically auto repairs itself, pirate hunters are an utter joke, your crew will never fall below 50% even if you try, trade route battles offer zero challenge(I've never lost a battle over a trade route), character upgrades are outrageously overpowered and are offered too early throughout the story line, your main character is a walking/talking GOD who is unstoppable in combat. That may sound cool to some, but to me it means ZERO challenge.

While the game is breathtaking to explore, and shiny trinkets, outfits and treasures abound, the challenge level of combat is dismal. Do the devs think all the fluff and graphics make it okay to produce sub par AI and an ridiculously easy play through the campaign? What's even more confusing is the fact that the AI from years ago back in AC1 posed more of a challenge than they do in Black Flag. Why dumb down the game?

MnemonicSyntax
12-28-2013, 04:23 AM
What's easy to you may not be easy to others.

And I wasn't aware Edward leveled. He just gets more health via armor, but otherwise he's not leveling.

Regardless, AC is about choices. You're playing it the way you wish and that's cool. Others may have more trouble, and wish to play it another way. You can also go stealth, or full on guns blazing.

AI needs work though, I'll give ya that.

DinoSteve1
12-28-2013, 04:25 AM
I hope they put in a button to initiate climbing.

MnemonicSyntax
12-28-2013, 04:28 AM
There is one. It's A/X.

DinoSteve1
12-28-2013, 04:30 AM
not anymore you just hold down R1 now and you climb when you run into something.

MnemonicSyntax
12-28-2013, 04:33 AM
No, you can do it when you're near a climbable object. Stand near something, like the mast of a ship and do not press R1. It'll context change to Climb for A/X. That's how I precision climb.

ST7A Bad Karma
12-28-2013, 04:51 AM
What's easy to you may not be easy to others.

And I wasn't aware Edward leveled. He just gets more health via armor, but otherwise he's not leveling.

Regardless, AC is about choices. You're playing it the way you wish and that's cool. Others may have more trouble, and wish to play it another way. You can also go stealth, or full on guns blazing.

AI needs work though, I'll give ya that.

While I totally understand gaming isnt a "one size fits all" when it comes to player skill, SURELY the guys and gals at Ubisoft have the same understanding!!! How can you offer a game in this day and age without any difficulty level choices?

Because Black Flag is such an awesome experience despite it's lack of overall challenge, it needs 3 different categories for difficulty sliders.

Ship to Ship: Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane
Hand to Hand: Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane
Monetary Income/Crafting: Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane.

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Then he starts a new save :rolleyes:

Nah jk bro. :p

Fatal-Feit
12-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I swear, I have to be the only AC fan who've been around since AC:1 and actually does not want the combat to be any more difficult.

Bring back AC:3's unique and difficult enemy structures, keep our weapons at a minimum like in AC:IV, and we're all set. :cool:

roostersrule2
12-28-2013, 11:03 AM
I swear, I have to be the only AC fan who've been around since AC:1 and actually does not want the combat to be any more difficult.

Bring back AC:3's unique and difficult enemy structures, keep our weapons at a minimum like in AC:IV, and we're all set. :cool:I don't want it to be more difficult either.

I just want it to change.

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Me neither, I just want it to be more complex. More complex without necessarily being more challenging...that makes sense?

Shahkulu101
12-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't know what new control scheme they could go with other than the current Batman rip-off. Perhaps back to the Ezio trilogy style?

Maybe even hack and slash...

roostersrule2
12-28-2013, 11:09 AM
I don't know what new control scheme they could go with other than the current Batman rip-off. Perhaps back to the Ezio trilogy style?

Maybe even hack and slash...QTE's are the best thing to happen to gaming, they should not just be limited to animals.

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Goodness, not back to Ezio games style. :O Just make the counter windows smaller and more enemies invulnerable to counter kills at full health and I'd be a happy camper.

Shahkulu101
12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Goodness, not back to Ezio games style. :O Just make the counter windows smaller and more enemies invulnerable to counter kills at full health and I'd be a happy camper.

AC2 had a lot of guards resistant to counters to an extent, but that system was so boring.

Shahkulu101
12-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I think I'd like a very simple hack and slash combat system. Give us hit, heavy hit and block - you are allowed to aim your hit and depending on which part of the body you hit you will do weak or strongl damage. Heavy hit will do great damage but leave you open to damage - timing the pressing of the block button needs to be more precise.

No kill streaks - it can be done swiftly enough if you're decent.

oliacr
12-28-2013, 12:27 PM
More complex more weapons more animations.

ACIDIC SWORDS
12-29-2013, 01:42 AM
I agree with most of ac2 health based combat where you cant counter some enemies unless thay have low health but then the game is tedious when you have to keep on hitting a guy until they have low health and ypu can finish them off, it makes the game a hurt game rather than a kill game. I ask you this have you tried killing an enemy in ac4 using the counter hurt/disarm button. also then the combat would ne like when you stun a captain you hit his block until you finally finish him off. thats my two cents

Qart-Hadastei
12-30-2013, 04:50 AM
The aim of these changes is a combat system that not only rewards, but simply demands, intelligent timing and tactical judgement. You cannot, a la AC2, wait for an attack and counter in your sleep. You will have to parry, and, if successful, respond with a counter attack (which will not automatically kill, but instead deal standard damage). Each move can be used properly, but, if used improperly or anticipated, may be punished. My ideas:

-Significantly reduce player's health. But present difficulty options at the beginning of the game, which will determine health.

-Remove medicines

-Bring back health recovery from AC1

-Remove poison darts

-Remove kill streaks. They simply don't make sense.

-Replace guard with PARRY. Players and NPCs will parry, and must time parries to catch attacks. A successful parry will block an attack, and will allow the parrying party to recover and attack before the opponent does. A mistimed parry will leave an opening into which an opponent can attack.

-Reform power attacks. Now, holding the main attack button will EXTENDED ATTACK until released, in order to, say, anticipate an opponent's dodge, or to trick an enemy into parrying too early. During an extended attack, the attacking player/NPC cannot parry (or, perhaps, cannot parry without canceling the attack in so doing?) Extended attacks will do modestly more damage than normal attacks.

-After dodging, a player/NPC will be slightly off-balance, and will be momentarily unable to dodge again. If A holds the attack (see above), and B dodges, expecting a normal strike, A will have a good chance of landing the attack. However, as with parries, a fighter who successfully dodges an attack will be able to respond before the opponent can.

-Remove disarms, or make them nearly impossible except against the puniest enemies.

-Remove counters as currently implemented

-In place of counters, make players and NPCs briefly unable to guard after making an attack; if A attacks B, and B guards, there is a tiny delay (as now) before either can attack again. However, a fighter who guards successfully should recover first, to reward good parries.

-Allow enemies to attack at the same time. As well as being realistic, this will discourage an assassin from getting surrounded.

-Reduce number of bombs that can be carried.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Combat is never supposed to be difficult. Besides having multiple attackers at once, the rest is just ridiculous. Posts like this make me think that some people believe the Assassin should be on equal ground combat wise with their enemies, and that's not the case at all.

Also, have you played Black Flag? Most of the stuff you mention is already present in some way. There are no medicines, health regenerates, you can't kill streak upper level enemies, or disarm them, and while doing double tool kills, you can be interrupted by an enemy, which is akin to having multiple people attack at once.

EchoFiveKilo
12-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Just have ac3 combat with some minor improvements and you have perfection.

Qart-Hadastei
12-30-2013, 05:19 AM
Combat is never supposed to be difficult. Besides having multiple attackers at once, the rest is just ridiculous. Posts like this make me think that some people believe the Assassin should be on equal ground combat wise with their enemies, and that's not the case at all.

Also, have you played Black Flag? Most of the stuff you mention is already present in some way. There are no medicines, health regenerates, you can't kill streak upper level enemies, or disarm them, and while doing double tool kills, you can be interrupted by an enemy, which is akin to having multiple people attack at once.

I have not yet played Black Flag. It sounds like the combat system has been improved, from my point of view. However, I feel that the assassin should be perhaps somewhat stronger than the enemies toe-to-toe, but that the assassin's primary advantage should be stealth and unique abilities exploited by the player. So I would say that I can't agree that combat should never be difficult. One-on-one? Not difficult, but not spam-able. But the player has the tools to pick his/her battles. If he/she acts like an idiot, I would prefer that he/she should definitely be left with the consequences of bad decisions, which should be difficult to escape.

I'm not sure we see eye-to-eye on "supposed." Certainly, I'd say the player should be able to avoid getting surrounded by 20 enemies, which would be difficult combat. And I would have the ability of enemies to exploit the new mechanics should vary with the difficulty level. But the player, to my mind, would find that combat rewards skill and timing, and is not a cutscene or a way to cheat through a mission. Combat and assassination would be two paths, challenging in different ways, and rewarding different skill sets. Players might prefer one or the other, and should feel free to explore the different ways of accomplishing missions.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 05:26 AM
I have not yet played Black Flag. It sounds like the combat system has been improved, from my point of view. However, I feel that the assassin should be perhaps somewhat stronger than the enemies toe-to-toe, but that the assassin's primary advantage should be stealth and unique abilities exploited by the player. So I would say that I can't agree that combat should never be difficult. One-on-one? Not difficult, but not spam-able. But the player has the tools to pick his/her battles. If he/she acts like an idiot, I would prefer that he/she should definitely be left with the consequences of bad decisions, which should be difficult to escape.

I'm not sure we see eye-to-eye on "supposed." Certainly, I'd say the player should be able to avoid getting surrounded by 20 enemies, which would be difficult combat. And I would have the ability of enemies to exploit the new mechanics should vary with the difficulty level. But the player, to my mind, would find that combat rewards skill and timing, and is not a cutscene or a way to cheat through a mission. Combat and assassination would be two paths, challenging in different ways, and rewarding different skill sets. Players might prefer one or the other, and should feel free to explore the different ways of accomplishing missions.

I feel it's improved a lot. The counter window has also been closed and is much tighter than 3.

That being said, a lot of people are posting how 3's is better because it was more fluid and they felt like a badass going from body to body.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm seeing the curious case of people saying AC3 was near perfection while back when AC3 came it was derided as too easy and crap.

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Keep the same one, but allow us to dodge too along with getting rid of prompts during combat. Needing a prompt to counter is stupid.

godsmack_darius
12-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Maybe its just me but did they take away the double attack? Where two people attack you at once and you can counter them both.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 06:18 AM
They also increased the damage and stuff. And seemed to have reduced the counter window. Not sure about it. The double counter is still there btw, not not so abundant. I had like 4-5 of them on my plathrough.

DinoSteve1
12-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Its probably just me but I'd like them to get rid of the synch rate, AC1 and AC2 didn't have it and because of that the games feel like you have alot more freedom, you get to choose how you approach things, like assassinations and combat.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Maybe its just me but did they take away the double attack? Where two people attack you at once and you can counter them both.

No, but it's rare. Double tool kills make up for it though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiepNyZQFQs

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 06:24 AM
What amazes me since the beginning of the AC franchise is the hood. It's cool while it presents a blindspot for the assassins. The hood is more disadvantageous than advantageous.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Rule of cool, bro. Also I think wearing a hood when no one around you does makes you stand out more than blending in. Again, rule of cool. I dont mind it.

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Rule of cool, bro. Also I think wearing a hood when no one around you does makes you stand out more than blending in. Again, rule of cool. I dont mind it.
I don't mind it either, but it does feel funny on how the character knows if the enemy is striking from the sides or the back.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 07:22 AM
By using the eagle vision obviously... :p

TomEmilioDavies
12-30-2013, 04:39 PM
since I despise the crafting system in AC, I believe a better idea would be make these "special" items available only on the Assassins' Bureau in each city
That is actually a very good idea.

oliacr
12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Yes, more or less. Depends on the settings and the "special" items.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 07:50 PM
By using the eagle vision obviously... :p

Spider Sense=Eagle Vision :p

adventurewomen
12-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Spider Sense=Eagle Vision :p
In terms of the AC universe:

Eagle Vision >> Spider Sense.

Eagle Vision is a more valuable to have.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 08:24 PM
In terms of the AC universe:

Eagle Vision >> Spider Sense.

Eagle Vision is a more valuable to have.

That was actually a joke... But seriously Eagle Vision < Spider Sense...

Spider Sense: Warns you of any danger giving the person near perfect reaction time, even allowing Spider Man to know if someone has a blade hidden...
vs
Eagle Vision: Makes people you don't like turn red... And in some cases you can see them through walls...

DinoSteve1
12-30-2013, 08:26 PM
You can also see there patrol route.

adventurewomen
12-30-2013, 08:29 PM
That was actually a joke... But seriously Eagle Vision < Spider Sense...

Spider Sense: Warns you of any danger giving the person near perfect reaction time, even allowing Spider Man to know if someone has a blade hidden...
vs
Eagle Vision: Makes people you don't like turn red... And in some cases you can see them through walls...
I still prefer Eagle Vision in the AC universe. Spider Sense just covers for natural instinct. IMHO.

Let not compare universes, with all due respect.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Corvo Attano is best assassin...

I was thinking that perhaps spear guards could limit mobility in combat as they surround the player limiting the ability to perform kill-streaks perhaps?

oliacr
12-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Corvo Attano is best assassin...

I was thinking that perhaps spear guards could limit mobility in combat as they surround the player limiting the ability to perform kill-streaks perhaps?

No he is not.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
No he is not.

Yes he is the single most efficient Assassin ever...

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Whew, thank Minerva this is an Assassin's Creed forum and not a Dishonored forum!

It's two different games with two different universes. Corvo has supernatural powers and without them, he'd be useless.

So, pointless conversation and off topic.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Whew, thank Minerva this is an Assassin's Creed forum and not a Dishonored forum!

It's two different games with two different universes. Corvo has supernatural powers and without them, he'd be useless.

So, pointless conversation and off topic.

True but I do wish Assassin's Creed were more like Dishonored... (I am referring more to open mission design than anything, Dishonored even has investigations)

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 09:12 PM
True but I do wish Assassin's Creed were more like Dishonored... (I am referring more to open mission design than anything, Dishonored even has investigations)

But investigations isn't "open mission" in the least.

And, Freedom Cry had investigations.

JumpInTheFire13
12-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks Mush, sorry to be a pain, I'm an old guy.

To the OP:

Some good ideas here, in Freedom Cry, you get to carry a pretty sweet blunderbuss.

And, this video right here has "made combat better" for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiepNyZQFQs

As you can see, you can also be interrupted during the combat, and this somewhat replaces double counter kills that were highly present in 3.
How did you do those kills in the video? I didn't even know some of those were possible and I've been playing the game for over 60 hours! Like the one at 1:33

JumpInTheFire13
12-30-2013, 10:19 PM
What my opinion is: Make the game INCREDIBLY difficult but at the same time design it in a way that it's always your fault if you get killed.What I mean to say is that they should design the combat system to be just as fast and responsive as to fit the play style of any player but at the same time make it such that it needs the player to be extremely focused about the surroundings,the timing and the enemy stance during the fight so that IF the player dies during combat,it's only because of their own callousness.And they won't have to go screaming:THE DEVELOPERS ARE CHEATING.THIS GAME IS NONSENSE!! The combat is a life and death situation.That has to be remembered.
Also make enemies scalable so that they have a wide variety of weapons and effective armor.Make them such that stronger enemies will arrive the more you upgrade your weapons and armor so that the player doesn't feel overpowered.
And bring medicines that'll only work out of combat and not restore health skyrocketing it to full in less than a second like a miracle during mid combat.
Besides the developers have said that they had tons of brilliant ideas they didn't try in this game and are psyched to do so in the next upcoming game.They are also planning to overhaul the parkour system.I'm excited....
Whats your source?

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Any online source that talks about Black Flag's success and future plans for Assassin's Creed.

Devs aren't thrilled with the current system and are hoping Next Gen will really shine through and change things up.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
But investigations isn't "open mission" in the least.

And, Freedom Cry had investigations.

Haven't had the opportunity to play Freedom Cry yet so I can't judge...
And dishonored still has open ended assassinations with good investigations, the entire mission Lady Boyle's Last Party was amazing because of all the approaches and how dynamic the mission was. You could easily be subtle and kill the target without interrupting her party, or you could cause complete chaos and murder all three sisters not bothering identify which target is correct.

DinoSteve1
12-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Been saying since AC3 that the parkour system needs to be overhauled, in my opinion it worked better in older AC games.

oliacr
12-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Any online source that talks about Black Flag's success and future plans for Assassin's Creed.

Devs aren't thrilled with the current system and are hoping Next Gen will really shine through and change things up.
We will see.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Been saying since AC3 that the parkour system needs to be overhauled, in my opinion it worked better in older AC games.

Did you try that climbing thing I suggested? You can also hold down trigger but not move the stick and then hit A/X and he'll do a jump grab of sorts.

I don't have a problem with the parkour system, once I learned it.

We will see

Okay, if they don't change a thing it's not my fault.

DinoSteve1
12-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Did you try that climbing thing I suggested? You can also hold down trigger but not move the stick and then hit A/X and he'll do a jump grab of sorts.

I don't have a problem with the parkour system, once I learned it.

I haven't, as I haven't played AC4 since but I will, but when I intend to climb I never actually have a problem, its when running and accidentally bumping into something thats the problem, Edward will start climbing it when you don't want him to, and sometimes I even find him changing directions while running straight to climb a ladder or something. I was thinking that could be solved by having a button that will only initiate climbing.

But as you said you adapt, it happens so infrequently to me now its only a minor annoyance, but if they do overhaul it perhaps they could take a look at it. That been said it happened more in III than in IV so maybe they already know about it.

oliacr
12-30-2013, 10:53 PM
I haven't, as I haven't played AC4 since but I will, but when I intend to climb I never actually have a problem, its when running and accidentally bumping into something thats the problem, Edward will start climbing it when you don't want him to, and sometimes I even find him changing directions while running straight to climb a ladder or something. I was thinking that could be solved by having a button that will only initiate climbing.

But as you said you adapt, it happens so infrequently to me now its only a minor annoyance, but if they do overhaul it perhaps they could take a look at it. That been said it happened more in III than in IV so maybe they already know about it.
I haven't had any problems like these yet, it means you can't control the game, isn't it?

DinoSteve1
12-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes I can't control the game, I can't point in the direction I want the character to run and hold R1, I'm obviously a moron.

oliacr
12-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Yes I can't control the game, I can't point in the direction I want the character to run and hold R1, I'm obviously a moron.

It seems it is so hard. Wasn't offensive though.