PDA

View Full Version : Bad sound mixing (spoilers)

SixKeys
12-24-2013, 12:34 AM
Ever since ACR, I've noticed the sound mixing getting worse in the series. I first noticed it because they changed the way walk-and-talk works in ACR. Unlike in previous games where Ezio and the other person were at the same level, thanks to the new system in ACR the sound would often get louder or softer depending on which way I turned the camera.

In AC3 and especially AC4 the sound problems seem to be even more noticeable. For the record, I always play without subtitles. In AC4, for the first time ever, I was forced to turn on subtitles on my second playthrough simply because I missed so much important dialogue on my first playthrough. For example practically all of Anne Bonny's dialogue at Tulum after the death of Mary Read, a lot of the walk-and-talk dialogue (same problem in AC3) and a ton of exposition in the eavesdropping missions. The latter is especially annoying considering how many there are in the game. Sometimes there will be unexpected changes to the sound, for example dialogue will be barely audible while explosions become so loud they nearly blow up your ear drums. In AC4 you have to turn the camera a lot during sailing, that's where I seem to notice the problems the most. I'm finding myself constantly fiddling with the speakers.

Whenever I play the older games, I never have problems following the dialogue. Even during the eavesdropping missions the sound stays at a level that is perfectly audible.
I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this, as a while ago someone on Twitter asked Darby why they didn't give Anne any dialogue like Adewale after she became Edward's quartermaster. Darby replied that she did have lots of dialogue, a lot of it was just easy to miss due to bad sound mixing.

Has anyone else here noticed this?

MIA SILENT
12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Yeah i've noticed it. What you gonna do about it?

SixKeys
12-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah i've noticed it. What you gonna do about it?

Complain? :p I just don't understand why they changed it. What was wrong with AC1-ACB's sound?

LoyalACFan
12-24-2013, 12:50 AM
I thought it was just me for a while, since my old TV had a blown-out speaker on the right side, but even after hooking up my console to a new TV I'm still having issues.

I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this, as a while ago someone on Twitter asked Darby why they didn't give Anne any dialogue like Adewale after she became Edward's quartermaster. Darby replied that she did have lots of dialogue, a lot of it was just easy to miss due to bad sound mixing.

Has anyone else here noticed this?

This one is especially annoying, though I don't think it can be entirely attributed to the sound mixing. I've turned the volume up as high as I can get it and pitched the camera in all sorts of angles trying to pick up dialogue from her (she does have animations for when she's supposed to be shouting orders, so it's easy to tell when she should be talking) but no dice. The most I've ever been able to get out of her is an occasional "Good Day, Edward" as the crew cheers my arrival on the Jackdaw when it's docked in the harbor. Her VA may have recorded quartermaster lines, but they just don't ever play. Plus, I still hear Adewale lines when I'm hauling in a harpooning catch, so I don't think Bonney's lines are badly mixed, they just aren't there.

MIA SILENT
12-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Plus, I still hear Adewale lines when I'm hauling in a harpooning catch, so I don't think Bonney's lines are badly mixed, they just aren't there.

Lol, same here.

Anyway, I've also noticed various sound bugs in the past few games. Tis' a shame.