PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Cry

n0puls3
12-21-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm impressed with the Freedom Cry DLC. I like the story so far and how you can free slaves and take over slave ships. Plus how they tie in rewards for freeing slaves, so it has purpose.

The disappointment however, is the lack of customization for the ship and Adéwalé. Plus the ship itself is basically the Jackdaw, another brig, but with less firepower :(

And I really don't get the fast travel for some of the islands, since they have no benefit other than the one or two chests you collect from them. Not sure why you would need to fast travel to an empty location?

Maybe they upped the graphics, but the game, for me, is sluggish. Never had any performance issue with Black Flag.

Also, Does anyone know when the initiatives missions for the DLC will be available?

Sdwakias
12-21-2013, 09:01 AM
The lack of customization is mainly because the DLC is not tied to the main game itself. I doubt a lot of people will actually play it that much after they 100% sync the game, except if it actually counts on the ships destroyed, then I guess yes, but sadly, there are no crew songs, even though there is a reason behind this lack.

As for the fast travels on those islands... I was also wondering that. Maybe they just wanted to name those islands, and so they activated the fast traveling too. Maybe it was so you can fast travel there to go faster to a slave ship, or something like that.

I don't know if it was more sluggish than Black Flag to me, since both of them are, since my PC is kinda outdated, but I don't know, it didn't seem that the performance was more sluggish than BF.

And I don't think anyone would know, yet.

Frag_Maniac
12-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I use fast travel a lot to just get close to something else, be it a place I haven't unlocked yet, or a slave ship, etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be to go to the place you fast travel to.

Customization is appropriate for the content of the DLC. You can adequately upgrade the ship's armaments, and within an appropriate time for how long the campaign is. It would also be silly to have too much window dressing for a ship used for freeing slaves. What's offered is spot on.

That said, I DO have issue with a few things.

1. The first mission gives you no indication of what one of the optional objectives are until after it's done, making it an inevitable replay for 100% unless you happen to be in the habit of doing the simple task it asks for
2. Even with the top level machete it takes a lot of whacking to kill enemies. They seem to have purposely built up the brutality vs efficiency of it.
3. I went to replay the final mission to get an objective I missed, and got a looping slave song problem. When I disabled music in the menu, it seems to have taken out other sounds with it, like whistling and such. Sound overall in the DLC is quite buggy, even more so than in Black Flag. There's often no clash of blades in melee combat.
4. Upon replaying the final mission I got the optional objective I missed (the one that pertains to the target), but the game didn't give me credit for it, so now I have to replay it yet again in hopes it will register this time.

HypeR.tgL
12-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I liked FC, it was great in terms of game DLC, it was almost a whole new game, but it did have it's share of problems and bugs.

First thing I noticed was the fact the game was a console port, much of the details you would see in Black Flag are absent, this includes the wheel of the ship completely turning, dynamic grass and a handful of other things.

Animations were buggy too, not so buggy to be game breaking, but there was a lot more than what Black Flag had.

The worst problem was that the AI had become telepathic again, not all the time, but there's certain Punisher side mission locations where if you were detected or released the slaves, 2 guards would just pop up out of nowhere and shoot you. There's heaps of other instances of telepathic AI, but I just can't explain it in words, at times it's just wtf.

But then again, I guess we were spoiled with stupid AI in Black Flag, the fact that we could kill guards from 1 meter within each other without the others noticing was ridiculous.

But overall, I loved the DLC, it provided at least 10 hours of fun and still counting.

Frag_Maniac
12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah I liked the DLC too, esp that it was much more fleshed out than Aveline, which was mediocre really. It IS much buggier than Black Flag though, I had some nasty encounters with Adewale twitching real bad when fighting with the machete during boarding. It's pretty easy to 100% I found though, since nothing is tied to online play, a mistake they made with Black Flag IMO. I replayed the final mission and got the reward for 100%.

I don't know if it's a bug, but this time instead of killing de Fayet with a disarm move, I disarmed him and then swung at him with the branding iron, which gave me credit for that objective. It's been a hoot blasting slavers with the Dragoon. I like to get a bunch of them chasing me, then run out on a dock and wipe out half a dozen or so in one shot. LOL

I'd have to say freeing slave ships is the most dynamic and challenging part of it. They can range from extremely difficult battles ending with desync, to relatively easy wins depending on your tactics and the circumstances. I was a bit upset you can't upgrade the swivel guns at first, but the way it is it keeps it more challenging and unpredictable.

AherasSTRG
12-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Great DLC, the most value-for-money DLC I have bought.

JimmyTheCannon
12-22-2013, 09:11 AM
I've just started and I'm confused about the requirements for the Dragoon. Does it require 100% sync in the main game, or 100% sync in the DLC - and if it's the DLC, is it solely for replay value/extended play after you're done or what?

Frag_Maniac
12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I've just started and I'm confused about the requirements for the Dragoon. Does it require 100% sync in the main game, or 100% sync in the DLC - and if it's the DLC, is it solely for replay value/extended play after you're done or what?

It means 100% in the DLC. You could however purposely skip the optional objectives then play it all again via replay with the Dragoon, but of course it won't be useful for the stealth stuff.

TarunVy
01-02-2014, 08:55 AM
whats the point of buying it if it does not work? I have activated it on uplay but it does not show on my start screen...

USAdystopia
10-11-2014, 07:27 AM
How to change FOV?

oliacr
10-11-2014, 11:03 AM
My only concern was the DLC's length.

D_cover
10-12-2014, 07:43 AM
I have to say I prefered the Tyranny of King Washington having those awesome powers kept me playing after I completed just to pounce on guards and flying to vantage points as an eagle or using the wolf powers to become invisible.