PDA

View Full Version : Game of the year??????

tunnelcat
12-19-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this. ACIVBF is an absolutely gorgeous game.............when it works. :rolleyes: So far, playing the game, totally unpatched and offline, in single player, it's a stunning achievement of eye candy and thrills. It has to be one of the best looking games on my system ever. But I'm waiting for the disappointment of some big bug to rear it's ugly head pretty soon. I don't dare patch it because I can run it in SP at the moment, so why look a gift horse in the mouth. I can see why they voted this game as one of the game of the year choices, but when on God's green earth did the reviewers even get to play it to test it out, in either SP, or especially MP? Don't these guys even take into account the bugs upon release, and whether people can even play the game at all? Sheeeeeesh!

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-critics-pick-39-best-video-games-145945502.html;_ylt=AnxnCL.D2A06mfl8w0Whu2vQtDMD;_ ylu=X3oDMTBsNWFkOTNlBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNzcg--

strigoi1958
12-20-2013, 12:19 AM
few if any games go un patched and to be honest I'd rather have a game on the release date even if it has a few minor teething problems (I'm not saying some are not getting more than minor problems in new games) rather than wait 6 months more :D and your description "it's a stunning achievement of eye candy and thrills" is the best I've heard.... in fact it should be used in their adverts.
I read through the threads and it's a shame some are having problems because it is rightly game of the year.... and I think reviewers only go on what they are given to review as do I and I can honestly say the game has been great and run perfectly from day 1. As you say it is an absolutely gorgeous game.

tunnelcat
12-20-2013, 12:41 AM
What I'd like to know is if a game is this buggy upon release, bugs so bad the game can't be even loaded on consoles or PC's, how does it even get tested in the first place? Sure, the game is gorgeous and fun, kudos to the developers, but the ability to even load the game without a game stopping crash should come in as an important factor in rating the game. I purchased Bioshock Infinite when it first came out, and at least with SP, things were patched quickly and I had no difficulties with major bugs. ACIVBF seems to have quite a few major bugs that stop a lot of people from even playing it, even in SP. Even the most recent Splinter Cell series of games have had some pretty major bugs, some that still have yet to be fixed, and some that were never fixed (SC Double Agent comes to mind). Right now, I'm so impressed with the visuals and the character's adventures as a pirate, I'm going to be majorly ticked off if I can't complete the game, and this is the first time I've even played an AC game.

strigoi1958
12-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Well I see what you're saying but I never had any problems (mind you I only play campaigns never MP) and I'm sure the reviewers never had any problems so we could forgive them for not marking down points on what may happen to some players. There are many factors as to why games crash and TBH I'm guilty of coming to Ubi with my rage and contempt about AC3 artifacts, tearing and colour changes check this out... me playing AC3 http://youtu.be/DTZ08I4vepk.
But I found out it was actually my nvidia drivers. A virus and malware affected Farcry3 and caused random crashes. (if you haven't played Farcry 3 I cannot recommend it enough...) and Splinter cell blacklist the drivers forced the game to trash itself and my entire uplay library.... not happy I had to re-install uplay and verify all games but SC B wouldn't run so I uninstalled and never will play it again. (I prefer SC conviction anyway :D). And I expect like me, there are a lot of people jealous of you.... if this is your 1st AC game and you play the previous AC games you are in for a treat. AC3 was huge and awesome (some will disagree and have valid points as to which they prefer) Revelations, brotherhood AC2 are (even now) better than a lot of current games and the characters are varied and the gameplay is brilliant. As you very rightly say the visuals and edwards adventures as a pirate are impressive (so much that I often just watch the waves splash across the deck as I sail around or check out the incredible detail in the cities. But you can pick up some incredible games and at budget prices and I envy you. I am sure you will complete the game ... I did with 96%.... :o there are some people out there with incredible gaming skills which I don't have but I will go back and try to complete the memories 100%

Frag_Maniac
12-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Well, yeah, if you're basing all the neg on mp, I can see it maybe, but honestly I don't know, as I don't play mp. If I WERE to play mp, I'd be a bit disappointed that it has no naval battles, which is one of the best parts of the game. In fact they improved on them quite a bit from AC3.

What I CAN tell you though is that this, Blacklist, and Dead Space 3 were not even on my radar as far as anticipated personal choices for GoTY, and I have to say those are the main 3 I'd vote for, with the nod going to AC IV for best in show.

Honestly, among the sea of AAA disappointments, despite it's debut flaws, this is seriously a game worth playing, and it offers many many hours of enjoyment just in the sp.

strigoi1958
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
I didn't know there were no naval battles in mp :confused: as I don't play mp...but if there were, I'd start playing mp right away :D 2 or 3 pirate ships attacking a large convoy of 10 or 12 ships with man o' wars, frigates and more would be awesome.... not to mention locating another pirate fort and laying siege to steal their gold :D.

Yes I liked the ac3 sea battles and there was some concern about different controls before ac4 was released but the new controls are definitely better. Yes dead space 3 was far better than I expected and AC4 definitely gets the number 1 for me. I'm a little surprised that Bioshock infinite rated #1 on that thread... it was a good game but it didn't always make me feel good.

tunnelcat
12-20-2013, 10:30 PM
There are many factors as to why games crash and TBH I'm guilty of coming to Ubi with my rage and contempt about AC3 artifacts, tearing and colour changes check this out... me playing AC3 http://youtu.be/DTZ08I4vepk.
But I found out it was actually my nvidia drivers. A virus and malware affected Farcry3 and caused random crashes. (if you haven't played Farcry 3 I cannot recommend it enough...) and Splinter cell blacklist the drivers forced the game to trash itself and my entire uplay library.... not happy I had to re-install uplay and verify all games but SC B wouldn't run so I uninstalled and never will play it again. (I prefer SC conviction anyway :D). And I expect like me, there are a lot of people jealous of you.... if this is your 1st AC game and you play the previous AC games you are in for a treat. AC3 was huge and awesome (some will disagree and have valid points as to which they prefer) Revelations, brotherhood AC2 are (even now) better than a lot of current games and the characters are varied and the gameplay is brilliant. As you very rightly say the visuals and edwards adventures as a pirate are impressive (so much that I often just watch the waves splash across the deck as I sail around or check out the incredible detail in the cities. But you can pick up some incredible games and at budget prices and I envy you. I am sure you will complete the game ... I did with 96%.... :o there are some people out there with incredible gaming skills which I don't have but I will go back and try to complete the memories 100%

Yeah, I've got Far Cry 3 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the animal threats they put in. It made walking around the jungle or swimming in the ocean hazardous to your health. I've also got Bioshock Infinite, but even though the visuals were great, the story left me a bit cold. I just couldn't like the characters. I liked the 2 previous Bioshock games much better.

Question on Splinter Cell Blacklist. How did the Nvidia drivers trash the game? I've got that game on my system as well and I'm using the 331.82 drivers. I haven't had any problems....yet.

Also, since I'm only playing SP in ACIVBF, should I go ahead and update the game anyway, or will I be sorry I did so?

strigoi1958
12-21-2013, 12:36 AM
yeah first time in Farcry 3 that a crocodile grabbed me I thought WTF was not expecting that :D. Yes the previous bioshocks were better. With splinter cell blacklist I downloaded 320.18 at the same time uplay updated and I thought all my problems were from the uplay update... then when I started to read online blogs about 320.18 burning out some graphics cards I went back to 314.22 and all problems disappeared. But I didn't realize that windows updates also download drivers and installing updates caused all the problems again but this time I couldn't get it to do a clean uninstall of the driver and went to a restore point.... something caused a problem and all my uplay library was gone. I panicked and unistalled then reinstalled uplay and the games reappeared but wouldn't run until I had verified them but SC B ran with black white and purple camouflage colours then stopped and rather than download and reinstall I just took it off http://i39.tinypic.com/15dqfpz.jpg

I've updated AC4 every time and in addition to having no problems... the game seems smoother and the graphics seem richer. But that's no guarantee it will be ok for you... if it were me I think if I had progressed over 50% I would finish it first before updating just to see it out but less than 50% I'd update and think I'd risk having to reinstall if it crashed but... thousands have no problems and you may be one of the 0.0001 percent that does so only you can decide if there is any risk and if there is even if it is minute... do you want the updates that are designed to improve the game or not.

strigoi1958
12-21-2013, 12:46 AM
And now I am running 331.82 as well... all is good again with nvidia..... mind you, if some games accidentally started having tearing issues or frame rate issues I guess it wouldn't hurt the sale of g-sync monitors and new nvidia cards ;)

tunnelcat
12-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Heh, heh. Windows did that one to me.......ONCE. Since then, I've kept an eye out for driver updates. I don't even let Geforce Experience update a driver. Never let Microsoft update video drivers. At least I never put on 320.18. I read beforehand all the problems people were having with it trashing their cards. You might find these links useful for driver installs.

This older guide of his has some pretty good recovery info for really borked up driver installs.

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1174372

But this is his newer version for more recent drivers.

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1776353#1776353

strigoi1958
12-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks that's a great link :D I've already spent 45 minutes looking through the videos and reading the guides. haven't checked the older link yet but made a bookmark of both.

tunnelcat
12-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Apparently, the number one reason driver updates get messed up is because the user has a graphics card controller running at the time, like PrecisionX or MSI. I had PrecisionX running when my system was messed up by Microsoft. Now I watch what updates Microsoft is serving up like a hawk. What ticks me off is the reason Microsoft offered a driver update in the "important" section of updates in the first place was that they wanted to "conveniently" update people's systems to be ready for Windows 8. Fact chance MS. By the way, the older of the 2 links has all sorts of information to help set things right a driver update goes awry. But the moral of the story is, turn off any GPU controller BEFORE you do a driver update. ;)