PDA

View Full Version : So there may be two AC games next year (one last gen one new gen) + Liberation HD

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 02:59 PM
For what it's worth. (http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-current-next-gen-only-assassin-s-creed-titles-being-developed-for-2014)

Two big AC games may be too much even for me, but this is not confirmed and who knows what type of projects are we talking about. Also, this:

The source also mentioned that the series is under a massive re-scope, but couldn't elaborate any further.

StilleNachT
12-19-2013, 03:02 PM
"The source also mentioned that the series is under a massive re-scope, but couldn't elaborate any further. As always, this information is not confirmed by Ubisoft and must be considered rumor for now, so take everything with a grain of salt.
"

You just watch, the reception to Watch dogs will play a major role in this!

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Saw this a while ago and I think it's stupid, a cash grab really, so people have to buy 2 games to get the whole picture, 3 if you include AC:L HD.

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
You just watch, the reception to Watch dogs will play a major role in this!

I sure hope so. I'm enjoying Black Flag immensely (and think that it's really a "The best of AC game"), but AC is lagging behind what it could be by now because of its development schedule. The 'best of' compilation is out, time to move forward.

Sushiglutton
12-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah, saw this on Gaf and I really don't believe this rumour tbh. It could be a fairly substantial difference between current and next gen version (much more than for AC4), but that they will be completely different I have a hard time seeing. For one why wouldn't they release the X360/Ps3 version on Ps4/X1?

The massive re-scope could be going from 18th century US/Carribean to 16th century China :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I hope the massive re-scope is the change in the yearly schedule... because, well, that WOULD be a massive re-scope since that changes the workflow of like approx. 600-700 people all over the globe?

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Shipping on 5 platforms isn't hell enough, let's do 2 games instead....yeah that makes perfect sense.

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Of course there is going to be two AC games next year. Liberation HD is a standalone game and AC5 it's own standalone game.

Way to state the obvious to the examiner article.

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Shipping on 5 platforms isn't hell enough, let's do 2 games instead....yeah that makes perfect sense.

Ironically enough... it does :p Making a cross-gen game takes much more effort than a game exclusive for one generation (especially when there's so many technical differences between PS3/X360 and PS4/X1), but making two separate titles for different gens IS more efficient.

Of course there is going to be two AC games next year. Liberation HD is a standalone game and AC5 it's own standalone game.

The Examiner said that the HD remake and other possible portable games are not part of said two titles.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Ironically enough... it does :p Making a cross-gen game takes much more effort than a game exclusive for one generation (especially when there's so many technical differences between PS3/X360 and PS4/X1), but making two separate titles IS more effective.
You're still making two DIFFERENT games, not just porting them.

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:23 PM
You're still making two DIFFERENT games, not just porting them.

Exactly. Porting is hard. Porting led to AC4 getting rid of stuff like seamless transition to Nassau/Havana/Kingston (among other things).

Two different teams working on two different games? Sure, that's twice as much people, but each project on its own is not as hard as a cross-gen title like AC4 (on its own).

lothario-da-be
12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
If they make 2 main games a year i'am out. Wtf did they forgot what happend to guitar hero?

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Exactly. Porting is hard. Porting led to AC4 getting rid of stuff like seamless transition to Nassau/Havana/Kingston (among other things).

Two different teams working on two different games? Sure, that's twice as much people, but each project on its own is not as hard as a cross-gen title like AC4 (on its own).
They still need manpower tho, I don't see it happening.

Dev_Anj
12-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Get ready for two highly glitchy games people!

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Get ready for two highly glitchy games people!
Bugthesda 2.0 is coming!

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 03:29 PM
If they make 2 main games a year i'am out. Wtf did they forgot what happend to guitar hero?
Agreed. Exactly!

Dev_Anj
12-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Bugthesda 2.0 is coming!

In Assassin's Creed 64, you'll get nice abilities, such as falling through walls, going through buildings, enemies slashing the air.......oops, that was the glitch report.

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Ubi as a whole is a studio with 10,000 people. Do you know how exactly the man-power is spread between all the different projects and how many projects are they working on? I don't :p Only Ubi does. Having two teams of 200-300 people working on two absolutely different games is not something "OMG IMPOSSIBLE!!!!", it's essentially like having Ubi work on AC3 and FC3 at the same time, for example, only FC3 in this case is an AC game :p

Potentially it doesn't matter if they're working on one AC project or 5 at the same time, it all depends.

Sushiglutton
12-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Yeah but if you count then number of man-hours needed for two games vs one game in two versions, there's just no way the former requires less.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
In Assassin's Creed 64, you'll get nice abilities, such as falling through walls, going through buildings, enemies slashing the air.......oops, that was the glitch report.
You see that lake? In winter you can walk on it!
Brand new AnvilNext engine!
Seamless transition!

...come to think of it...it's already arrived!

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Ubi as a whole is a studio with 10,000 people. Do you know how exactly the man-power is spread between all the different projects and how many projects are they working on? I don't :p Only Ubi does. Having two teams of 200-300 people working on two absolutely different games is not something "OMG IMPOSSIBLE!!!!", it's essentially like having Ubi work on AC3 and FC3 at the same time, for example, only FC3 in this case is an AC game :p

Potentially it doesn't matter if they're working on one AC project or 5 at the same time, it all depends.But AC has it's own situated team and FC has it's own. If you have say 600-700 people on AC you can't just split them, give them an extra year of dev time and hope for 2 very good end products.

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah but if you count then number of man-hours needed for two games vs one game in two versions, there's just no way the former requires less.

I'll point you to my post above that one.

IF Ubi is working on two full-fledged console titles both slated for release in 2014, it's not one team working on both, it's two different teams working on each one separately. It's just two different projects. I don't agree that two AC games are needed in a single year, but I don't see how this is something that's, well, out of the realm of possibility.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Potentially it doesn't matter if they're working on one AC project or 5 at the same time, it all depends.
Yes because Ubi totally aren't working on any other projects besides AC. They use like 9-10 per AC game.

And there's other projects:
Watch_Dogs
The Crew
Division
next Far Cry
next AC
next Splinter Cell
weren't they also working on Beyond Good&Evil 2?
Any number of unannounced new IPs.

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Ehh.. I feel like Farlander. You said this AC combines the best aspects from past games and for a change, what you said turned out to be true. Now time to move on. Bring on some real changes. My body is not ready for two ACs in a year. It will be far more ready for an AC every two year.

prince162010
12-19-2013, 03:41 PM
becareful ubi with AC's quality , we don't need more glitchy games

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 03:41 PM
But AC has it's own situated team and FC has it's own. If you have say 600-700 people on AC you can't just split them, give them an extra year of dev time and hope for 2 very good end products.

But it's not like AC has got its own development team as a franchise. Each AC game is a separate project (like FC is a separate project) and, respectively, is treated as such. Sure, people are pushed from one project to another when some project is finished, but that's, you know, natural.

Yes because Ubi totally aren't working on any other projects besides AC. They use like 9-10 per AC game.

And there's other projects:
Watch_Dogs
The Crew
Division
next Far Cry
next AC
next Splinter Cell
weren't they also working on Beyond Good&Evil 2?
Any number of unannounced new IPs.

Yes, because Ubi has capability to work on 25-30 blockbuster projects at the same time, which is my point (though, we do know that not all its projects are blockbusters, so, there's that).

Basically, my point is, two AC games released in the same year is just two games released in the same year (both of which could be like a year-two in the making already), they're just part of the same franchise.

(That said, I do not want two AC games released one year, I'm just saying that from production stand-point it's feasible)

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 03:42 PM
2 games a year is insane, I hope this is only for next year 2014.. then after that back to normal.

Remember it's QUALITY not QUANTITY.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Ubi would never do it though, because by putting separate games on separate consoles you'll split your consumer base, even though some fans would buy both games most would probably stick to the one.

So if you had 600-700 people that work on one game you get half the revenue but Ubi still pay the same amount for development costs. While the other game gets the other half of the revenue while Ubi still pay the same amount for dev costs.

So by Ubi making two games, they'd lose money.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes, because Ubi has capability to work on 25-30 blockbuster projects at the same time, which is my point (though, we do know that not all its projects are blockbusters, so, there's that).
Shipping that many games seems rather suicidal. They said they're shipping 5 games in 2014 sometime this year...

1.Next AC
2.Watch_Dogs
3.The Crew
4.Division
5. ???

EDIT: Other 2014 titles - Child of Light, South park, Might&Magic, Far Cry 4.

It's an Examiner rumour so I wouldn't pay it too much heed except for the fact that the writer is Nicholas Gigante, the first guy I recall who confirmed Black Flag.

Sushiglutton
12-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll point you to my post above that one.

IF Ubi is working on two full-fledged console titles both slated for release in 2014, it's not one team working on both, it's two different teams working on each one separately. It's just two different projects. I don't agree that two AC games are needed in a single year, but I don't see how this is something that's, well, out of the realm of possibility.

It's technically possible, I'm sure they are working on several massive open world games as we speak. But I just don't see the financial reasoning behind it. I could see there being a massive difference between the gens, but two completely different games just seems crazy. I have been wrong many times before though, so whatever :).

ze_topazio
12-19-2013, 04:01 PM
As long as i get the AC of my dreams on the Titanic I'm fine with it.

Farlander1991
12-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Shipping that many games seems rather suicidal.

Where did you see me say the word 'ship'? :p

It's technically possible, I'm sure they are working on several massive open world games as we speak. But I just don't see the financial reasoning behind it. I could see there being a massive difference between the gens (like even some sequences being fairky different), but two completely different games just seems crazy. I have been wrong many times before though, so whatever :).

Well, there can be reasoning behind that.
Last gen has an already established install base and fan base. New gen - doesn't (though it will have quite a bit by the end of next year, but still not enough in comparison, since the last gen lived for like, what, 8 years?).
A last gen project takes use of the already huge (which will also be bigger since the last gen will become cheaper and more people will buy it) install base.
However, the next gen project is going to be an incentive for people to convert to next gen throughout the years (not necessarily immediately, mind you). And a next gen exclusive is a bigger incentive than a cross-gen title like AC4.

I'm sure Ubi with all the information and analysts it's got know more about this than I do, but I can see this as something potentially financially effective, if not immediately, then in the long run. I still don't think two AC games in a year are necessary, though.

Shahkulu101
12-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Yikes. If any one from Ubisoft is reading this, and these rumours are true then know this: literally no fan will support this. It is completely nonsensical to have a title exclusive to last-gen AND a different exclusive for current-gen. Do you think us so naive we are going to fork out that much money? The fans are almost unanimous in their disliking of annual releases mad you are going to release two in one year? That is unheard of. That is ambitious. That is monumentally stupid. That will result in losing a great deal of fans. That will hurt your consumer reputation which lies in tatters even as we speak.

Don't.

misterB2001
12-19-2013, 04:22 PM
As a PS4 owner, i don't want a ported PS3 game with some spruced up graphics, i want a full blown next-gen game.

if they were to bring 2 games out and one of those was a next-gen exclusive that's been in the works for a few years then personally i'd be as happy as Larry.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 04:23 PM
As a PS4 owner, i don't want a ported PS3 game with some spruced up graphics, i want a full blown next-gen game.

if they were to bring 2 games out and one of those was a next-gen exclusive that's been in the works for a few years then personally i'd be as happy as Larry.But you'd miss out on the story and experience of the current gen game?

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 04:28 PM

if they were to bring 2 games out and one of those was a next-gen exclusive that's been in the works for a few years then personally i'd be as happy as Larry.
Too bad cause most developers won't ditch current gen until a few years. Ubi I suspect till 2015 or maybe 16, EA already said till 2017.

Krayus Korianis
12-19-2013, 04:32 PM
As long as i get the AC of my dreams on the Titanic I'm fine with it.
Would we be able to kill Leonardo DiCaprio? That'd be swell, have him as the big boss of the Templars fleeing Europe. O_O So Wow. Much Craze.

x___Luffy___x
12-19-2013, 04:39 PM
wow, 2 games in one year. this is not going to be a step in the right direction. and if UBI have enough manpower why not make a game for the PC version only, not ****ty ports.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 04:41 PM
wow, 2 games in one year. this is not going to be a step in the right direction. and if UBI have enough manpower why not make a game for the PC version only, not ****ty ports.
I'm calling BS on it. Examiner is known to be inaccurate most of the time.

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 04:43 PM
For the first time ever on these forums I agree with that statement of yours.

Shahkulu101
12-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Well as you said this Gigante dude got Black Flag right, so I'm still 50:50.

x___Luffy___x
12-19-2013, 04:45 PM

lets hope so. i can only imagine how the PC versions of the 2 AC games in 1 year will be.

oh wait. both will be delayed:p

True_Assassin92
12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
If this is true...it might work if they consider lowering prices. They already have a fanbase of 7million fans + the gross of profits they made with all the previous AC's. They might wanna take a risk, but I do hope they won't do this. On the other side I can't imagine releasing 4 games within a years time...I sure hope they don't.

misterB2001
12-19-2013, 04:52 PM
But you'd miss out on the story and experience of the current gen game?

i wouldn't as i have a PS3 too ;)

I'm just bored of the limitations of the old-gen.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Well as you said this Gigante dude got Black Flag right, so I'm still 50:50.
He revealed the first picture(WITH A LOT OF LENS FLARE and Bokeh DoF) that's about it.

I'm just bored of the limitations of the old-gen.
http://i.minus.com/iz6xYYXwT1Rzp.jpg

misterB2001
12-19-2013, 05:03 PM
bless

Charles_Phipps
12-19-2013, 06:05 PM
I love Assassins Creed but I think a wait between games keeps it from being repetitive.

Too much of a good thing is possible.

Jexx21
12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't like AC4 all that much but I'm excited about this. Will be interesting to see what Ubisoft comes up with here.

Boulder_Av
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Perhaps the last gen game could just be an HD remake of Bloodlines or AC1. With the next gen game being AC5.

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't like AC4 all that much but I'm excited about this. Will be interesting to see what Ubisoft comes up with here.
Good to see you back Jexx. :)

Jexx21
12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Meh, I'm not back. I only came on because Shak asked me to.

I'm quite fine with the forum I currently reside in.

pacmanate
12-19-2013, 08:37 PM

Learn to read jesus ****ing christ.

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Meh, I'm not back. I only came on because Shak asked me to.

I'm quite fine with the forum I currently reside in.
I understand. :)

Learn to read jesus ****ing christ.
:rolleyes:

Calm down.. did you not read the rest of my posts on this thread.

pacmanate
12-19-2013, 08:45 PM
I understand. :)

:rolleyes:

Calm down.. did you not read the rest of my posts.

I don't need too. I've seen you post 2 misinformed posts in 2 days, and I've seen another on the third showing you can't read.

I am far from impressed.

Jexx21
12-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Eh, not sure. The negativity and cynicism that is popular here messes with me and makes me angry, and I don't like being angry, so I probably won't.

Not to completely bash cynicism, but I would rather have hope and be disappointed than not having an optimistic view on things.

adventurewomen
12-19-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't need too. I've seen you post 2 misinformed posts in 2 days, and I've seen another on the third showing you can't read.

I am far from impressed.
I obviously can read otherwise I wouldn't be responding to you..

You obviously can't hold a conversation and your immaturity is clear. There's no point in me responding to you anymore, when you're just full of insults.

Eh, not sure. The negativity and cynicism that is popular here messes with me and makes me angry, and I don't like being angry, so I probably won't.

Not to completely bash cynicism, but I would rather have hope and be disappointed than not having an optimistic view on things.
Yeah I see the negativity and cynicism here and it does grate it gets annoying.

pacmanate
12-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I obviously can read otherwise I wouldn't be responding to you..

You obviously can't hold a conversation and your immaturity is clear. There's no point in me responding to you anymore, when you're just full of insults.

And its pretty clear you want Connors pixelated **** but yeah, I'm the immature one

Jexx21
12-19-2013, 09:04 PM
At the same time, I suppose my own response was cynical of these forums themselves.

Odd how that works.

I'll probably come back once I finish AC4 and start to actually like it. Right now I have big issues with the mission/side missions/items/hideout progression systems. Personally, I don't like how they're locked solely by exploration. I like to explore, but I hate it when I feel like I discover something before I should have in terms of story. Besides that, you can outright buy the best gear that stores have available at the beginning, as long as you have the funds. I just don't like that. Even though most of AC3's side missions weren't that good, I liked the way they progressed and unlocked a lot. There were the side missions that were available from the get go, and then there were the ones that were story restricted, such as the Homestead and Naval contracts.

I actually do like how the assassination and naval contracts in AC4 are unlocked, but I feel like certain missions, such as the Templar Hunts, should have been restricted by story as well.

Some of the collectible progressions annoyed me as well. You know, I really love how Arkham City and Origins did that, with having certain collectibles locked until you get a tool that can unlock them. I feel like the Mayan keys should have been more like that.

I dunno, for some reason I just feel like I can't get lost in AC4's world as well as the previous games.

On another note, maybe it's because I'm playing AC4 on a large TV rather than my smaller monitor which I usually use for games.

DarktheMagister
12-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Wait.....it's NOT counting the AC:L remake?

Wow.... perhaps they had 2 studios ready to go with final product at once.

I-Like-Pie45
12-19-2013, 10:28 PM
No need to prove her right.