PDA

View Full Version : Comparing AC3 missions to AC4

Thayin2012
12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I, like most people, like how Ubisoft handled the Optional Objectives in AC4. To me, none of the missions stood out to me as ones I had to play again, unlike AC3 where I really enjoyed several missions and felt that I had to play them again. Whilst nothing stood out to me in AC4, I think it was that they were mostly crafted so well that I didn't feel the need to replay any.

What do you think?

roostersrule2
12-17-2013, 03:16 PM
AC3 missions better then AC4's?

DinoSteve1
12-17-2013, 03:17 PM
tbh I never feel the need to replay stand alone missions, but I have replayed AC3 twice and I'm just starting my forth playthrough of AC4 so take from that what you will.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 03:19 PM
As much of AC4 I've played so far, I prefer the missions & sequences of AC3, that's just my opinion though.

roostersrule2
12-17-2013, 03:22 PM
As much of AC4 I've played so far, I prefer the missions & sequences of AC3, that's just my opinion though.Of course it is.

If I told you that the rest of AC4 though was filled with Native Americaness then suddenly it's missions and sequences would improve, wouldn't it?

killzab
12-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Of course it is.

If I told you that the rest of AC4 though was filled with Native Americaness then suddenly it's missions and sequences would improve, wouldn't it?

To her it would :rolleyes:, it would all become "genuine and real".

Gibbo2g_83
12-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I think AC3 had so many boring missions I nearly gave up on the game because of the first hour and a half or whatever it was as Haythem it was so boring. I think 4 is better in practically every way except for the weapons were better on 3. I 100% AC2, ACB, ACR and Black Flag but never at any point did I feel like I wanted to 100% 3.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 03:33 PM
To her it would :rolleyes:, it would all become "genuine and real".
Seriously TF you need to calm down. No need to be rude.

Of course it is.

I'm not going to even bother answering this mess of stupidity.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 03:33 PM
AC3 has much greater mission variety, more cinematic moments and I feel like the missions took a greater effort to build. Only problem is that they suck so bloody hard. In AC4 focus has been on building the levels rather than the missions. And then you can tackle these levels anyway you please. Pretty much all missions are built around using the Jackdaw, sneaking in compounds, or stealthily navigate urban enviroments (tailing/eavesdropping). In other words: doing the things the game is good at! It's soooooooooooo much more enjoyable than the junk AC3 had. Less work for the devs, a ton more fun to play, everyone is happy :D!

killzab
12-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Seriously TF you need to calm down. No need to be rude.

And Rooster isn't ? :rolleyes:

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 03:35 PM
AC3 has much greater mission variety, more cinematic moments and I feel like the missions took a greater effort to build. Only problem is that they suck so bloody hard. In AC4 focus has been on building the levels rather than the missions. And then you can tackle these levels anyway you please. Pretty much all missions are built around using the Jackdaw, sneaking in compounds, or stealthily navigate urban enviroments (tailing/eavesdropping). It's soooooooooooo much more enjoyable than the junk AC3 had. Less work for the devs, a ton more fun to play, everyone is happy :D!
Greater effort to design missions which are linear to the dot compared to missions that allow you to approach how you want from the most part, which has to fully consider player agency, how a player could think, how he could try to get from A to B, If he chooses the least preferred method?

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 03:36 PM
And Rooster isn't ? :rolleyes:
Edited my post..

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm starting to get sick of people provoking AW. She seems like a genuine person, she doesn't deserve all the f* needles all the time. Seriously just drop it muppets!

killzab
12-17-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm starting to get sick of people provoking AW. She seems like a genuine person, she doesn't deserve all the f* needles all the time. Seriously just drop it muppets!

She started it all by being hostile to anyone criticizing ACIII... I remember being constantly assaulted whenever I wanted to say something remotely bad about that game. And it ended up pissing me off.

roostersrule2
12-17-2013, 03:40 PM
AC3 has much greater mission variety, more cinematic moments and I feel like the missions took a greater effort to build. Only problem is that they suck so bloody hard. In AC4 focus has been on building the levels rather than the missions. And then you can tackle these levels anyway you please. Pretty much all missions are built around using the Jackdaw, sneaking in compounds, or stealthily navigate urban enviroments (tailing/eavesdropping). In other words: doing the things the game is good at! It's soooooooooooo much more enjoyable than the junk AC3 had. Less work for the devs, a ton more fun to play, everyone is happy :D!I wouldn't say they took a greater effort to build due to there linearity, I would agree that they were more cinematic though, probably because half the mission was a cutscene. There is no way in the world that someone can prefer AC3's missions to AC4's, it's not even a matter of opinion. As you said, they suck so hard and it's true, the mission design in AC3 was woeful.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Greater effort to design missions which are linear to the dot compared to missions that allow you to approach how you want from the most part, which has to fully consider player agency, how a player could think, how he could try to get from A to B, If he chooses the least preferred method?

I believe constructing specific mechanics, like ordering troops and running through a battlefield dodging bullets etc takes more resources than builidng several plantation like levels. I could be awfully wrong though. If so apologize.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Thank you so much for the support I really appreciate it!

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 03:42 PM
She started it all by being hostile to anyone criticizing ACIII... I remember being constantly assaulted whenever I wanted to say something remotely bad about that game. And it ended up pissing me off.

So what, the game obv means a great deal to her, just let it go. Be the bigger man etc. I mean I'm no mod, you do whatever you want, I'm just sick of reading all the **** she gets, that's all.

Thank you so much for the support I really appreciate it!

No worries, everyone deserves to be treated respectfully :)

roostersrule2
12-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm not going to even bother answering this mess of stupidity.You know it's true, don't even deny it.

She started it all by being hostile to anyone criticizing ACIII... I remember being constantly assaulted whenever I wanted to say something remotely bad about that game. And it ended up pissing me off.Indeed.

DinoSteve1
12-17-2013, 03:46 PM
man people on this board need to hang out on the Bioware boards for a while, you will see what provoking is then. This board compared to that is all sunshine and rainbows. Most people here are civil thank god.

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I believe constructing specific mechanics, like ordering troops and running through a battlefield dodging bullets etc takes resources than builidng several plantation like levels. I could be awfully wrong though. If so apologize.
You don't need to apologize to me :p

You're talking about mechanics introduced on the spot(a bad thing in itself might I add) it sure takes resource but it's used once and never reused. Creating missions in areas, pathing AI in a way that allows more than 1 way of approach is not that simple.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
No worries, everyone deserves to be treated respectfully :)
:)

You're right, everyone does deserve to be treated respectfully.

-----------------

Back to the thread, one thing I like about AC4 sequences is that the optional objectives aren't so intrusive and allow you to complete the mission how you would like. You can go back later to complete to earn 100% sync.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 04:43 PM
I think AC4 was more fun in terms of its side missions. Edward Kenway felt appropriate doing all those assassination missions because you felt like he was a hardcore killer who would hunt down Templars for money. Likewise, I loved the Templar Hunts because you really got the impression Edward was psychotically obsessed with that suit of armor in his mansion.

(I'm surprised he didn't just bust down the door)

Connor, on the other hand, sometimes felt disconnected from the activities leftover from the previous games. Connor single-handedly taking down a Frontier fort for the Revolution? That makes perfect sense and fits with his "theme." Connor being John Paul Jones and doing Naval Contracts? I'm not sure if that's not pushing his character a bit into Pirate Ninja Zombie (Admiral, Native American, Revolutionary, Ninja) but it was fun.

However, I had a hard time imagining Connor tracking down people for murder the way Edward did. By contrast, I felt Connor's settlement missions were very fun and helped establish he was a lot friendlier guy than Edward.

I also understand why some people felt like Connor's settlement missions were a waste of time. Chasing pigs is a far cry from murdering people for keys.

Thayin2012
12-17-2013, 05:23 PM
I think AC4 was more fun in terms of its side missions. Edward Kenway felt appropriate doing all those assassination missions because you felt like he was a hardcore killer who would hunt down Templars for money. Likewise, I loved the Templar Hunts because you really got the impression Edward was psychotically obsessed with that suit of armor in his mansion.

(I'm surprised he didn't just bust down the door)

Connor, on the other hand, sometimes felt disconnected from the activities leftover from the previous games. Connor single-handedly taking down a Frontier fort for the Revolution? That makes perfect sense and fits with his "theme." Connor being John Paul Jones and doing Naval Contracts? I'm not sure if that's not pushing his character a bit into Pirate Ninja Zombie (Admiral, Native American, Revolutionary, Ninja) but it was fun.

However, I had a hard time imagining Connor tracking down people for murder the way Edward did. By contrast, I felt Connor's settlement missions were very fun and helped establish he was a lot friendlier guy than Edward.

I also understand why some people felt like Connor's settlement missions were a waste of time. Chasing pigs is a far cry from murdering people for keys.

That Homestead mission with the pigs. It destroyed me. I just wanted to make the pig into bacon and throw something at my computer.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
That Homestead mission with the pigs. It destroyed me. I just wanted to make the pig into bacon and throw something at my computer.

Connor really didn't need his dignity destroyed in that manner.

"I'm sorry, excuse me while I take time out of my day as a privateer for the fledgling American government and running a 13-man insurgency against the Templars to do your farm work. No, I don't have better things to do -- why do you ask?"

Thayin2012
12-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Connor really didn't need his dignity destroyed in that manner.

"I'm sorry, excuse me while I take time out of my day as a privateer for the fledgling American government and running a 13-man insurgency against the Templars to do your farm work. No, I don't have better things to do -- why do you ask?"

After a few Ubisoft server bugs, that made my day.

SPOILER:

For me, the thing AC4 did better than AC3 was I felt more immersed and I sort of felt led on to the next mission, unlike AC3. I think this is why I struggled to find individual missions I remembered to replay, because I didn't have large gaps between missions and they sort of just joined together

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I wanted more influence from the Assassins in AC4 there wasn't too much of them, yes Edward takes interest in the Assassins later on but still it was like AC4 was disconnected to the Assassins part of the game. That's my only critique of AC4.

In contrast to AC3 and all previous AC games were more focused on being an Assassin that's what I enjoy most about these games.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I perfer the new mission structures of AC:IV, compared to AC:3. It's less dynamic and immersing, but it's OPENED and it allows less frustrations. And plus, I really enjoy the fact that they're not shoving 2-3 100% synch objectives every checkpoints.

But AC:IV aside, I'm deeply in love with a few of AC:3's missions. Ones such as the Opera House, the modern day Brazil, the Homesteads', and a few others are pretty awesome and memorable.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
I wanted more influence from the Assassins in AC4 there wasn't too much of them, yes Edward takes interest in the Assassins later on but still it was like AC4 was disconnected to the Assassins part of the game. That's my only critique of AC4.

In contrast to AC3 and all previous AC games were more focused on being an Assassin that's what I enjoy most about these games.

Eh, I appreciated the break from it. Connor was all about being an Assassin.

For Edward, being an Assassin was something he had to WANT.

DinoSteve1
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
lol Conner was barely an Assassin the events of AC3 would play out exactly the same whether or not he was an Assassin.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Eh, I appreciated the break from it. Connor was all about being an Assassin.

For Edward, being an Assassin was something he had to WANT.
Well AC4 does feel slightly disconnected from previous AC games. Well that it's purpose, of course fitting to Edward yeah he had to want to be an Assassin.

(I've not finished the game yet so no spoilers please. I can see where the game is heading though..)

For AC5 I would like more of the game to go back to being about being an Assassin. Otherwise Ubisoft might want to renaming the AC games to Pirate's Creed or Plunder's Creed.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Well AC4 does feel slightly disconnected from previous AC games. Well that it's purpose, of course fitting to Edward yeah he had to want to be an Assassin.

(I've not finished the game yet so no spoilers please. I can see where the game is heading though..)

For AC5 I would like more of the game to go back to being about being an Assassin. Otherwise Ubisoft might want to renaming the AC games to Pirate's Creed or Plunder's Creed.

I really would love a Pirate's Code using the AC engine and it's own series, no real changes.

I also am cool with them mixing it up.

Edward makes the Templar vs. Assassin conflict cooler, IMHO, because it shows it from the perspective of the outsider. They're not all powerful and I'd love to see the Templars and Assassins forced to team up or something otherwise unexpected.

Shake up the formula.

I'd never want a WW2 AC but I'd love for them to ditch the "Hitler was a Templar" and have Assassins and Templars both against Nazis or similar big bads.

Thayin2012
12-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I perfer the new mission structures of AC:IV, compared to AC:3. It's less dynamic and immersing, but it's OPENED and it allows less frustrations. And plus, I really enjoy the fact that they're not shoving 2-3 100% synch objectives every checkpoints.

But AC:IV aside, I'm deeply in love with a few of AC:3's missions. Ones such as the Opera House, the modern day Brazil, the Homesteads', and a few others are pretty awesome and memorable.

I don't know of this is true, but I feel like one of about 7 people in the world who enjoyed the present day missions. I was disappointed that I had to replay the whole story to enjoy them again.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know of this is true, but I feel like one of about 7 people in the world who enjoyed the present day missions. I was disappointed that I had to replay the whole story to enjoy them again.

Yeah, it sucks that we're stuck in the Animus after completing AC:3. =S

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
I actually hope they stick with Abstergosoft.

Abstergosoft is kind of like Pentex's Black Dog Games for White Wolf's Old World of Darkness.

A joke which doesn't get less funny even when played seriously.

DinoSteve1
12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Me too they are the best parts of that game (well apart from the last one), the only reason I'd consider playing AC3 again is to replay Desmond's missions.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 07:45 PM
I really would love a Pirate's Code using the AC engine and it's own series, no real changes.

I also am cool with them mixing it up.

Edward makes the Templar vs. Assassin conflict cooler, IMHO, because it shows it from the perspective of the outsider. They're not all powerful and I'd love to see the Templars and Assassins forced to team up or something otherwise unexpected.

Shake up the formula.

I'd never want a WW2 AC but I'd love for them to ditch the "Hitler was a Templar" and have Assassins and Templars both against Nazis or similar big bads.
Well Ubisoft are considering a pirate game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130288-Ubisoft-Considering-Pirate-Themed-Assassins-Creed-IV-Spin-Off

Well I don't mind mixing the AC games a bit, but as long as the games stay true to their origins and foundations of being an Assassin game.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-17-2013, 08:02 PM
If the next AC had the mission variety an depth of AC3, the freedom of AC 4 (Hardly any automatic desync) and absolutely no Do not get detected/do not get into combat optional objectives then it would be a perfect game.

AC3 had the better missions and variety.
AC4 had the better mission design (Lay out/fresh locations), but too repetitive.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
I always like a stealth-essential mission or two, like the LEONARDO WAR MACHINE missions that were awesome.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Well Ubisoft are considering a pirate game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130288-Ubisoft-Considering-Pirate-Themed-Assassins-Creed-IV-Spin-Off

Well I don't mind mixing the AC games a bit, but as long as the games stay true to their origins and foundations of being an Assassin game.

I just note that Ezio, who I love, was pretty stale by Revelations. You should always make something new.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
If the next AC had the mission variety an depth of AC3, the freedom of AC 4 (Hardly any automatic desync) and absolutely no Do not get detected/do not get into combat optional objectives then it would be a perfect game.

AC4 had the better mission design (Lay out/fresh locations), but too repetitive.

A good mix and balance of the two would make the perfect AC game.

Now that I'm on my 6th playthrough, I feel that AC:IV might be just a bit repetitive and bland. They need to add more innovative stuff like most of AC:3's missions and Leonardo's machines.

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 08:26 PM
I just note that Ezio, who I love, was pretty stale by Revelations. You should always make something new.
Agreed, which is why I also disliked Revelations his character by then was washed out it was tiresome.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
So keeping the formula fresh is a hard thing to do, especially after so many games.

I don't think I could enjoy a simple, "Templars vs. Assassins' game anymore, for example.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Agreed, which is why I also disliked Revelations his character by then was washed out it was tiresome.

It developed quite a bit though, old hound finally settled down - fully grasped the Creed, left the order.

I liked Ezio best in Revelations. Something about playing as a wise old man I love - feels badass.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 08:45 PM

I'm probably one of the many few who liked Revelation Ezio the most. It was in Revelations that he no longer needed to establish a growing character. He had catchy lines, was down to earth, and knows how to make you smile in most of the cutscenes. I enjoyed it a lot.

In the previous games, I wasn't interested in Ezio, and nor was I intrigued by his so-called character developments. He was just too... Gary Sue-like for those. I couldn't relate to him one bit. By the time the series hit Revelations, I learned to just watch and enjoy the little things in his story rather than try to relate and immerse myself in his role.

Anyone else had that issue?

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm probably one of the many few who liked Revelation Ezio the most. It was in Revelations that he no longer needed to establish a growing character. He had catchy lines, was down to earth, and knows how to make you smile in most of the cutscenes. I enjoyed it a lot.

In the previous games, I wasn't interested in Ezio, and nor was I intrigued by his so-called character developments. He was just too... Gary Sue-like for those. I couldn't relate to him one bit. By the time the series hit Revelations, I learned to just watch and enjoy the little things in his story rather than try to relate and immerse myself in his role.

* Raises hand*

Hey, Rev Ezio's my favorite too.

SixKeys
12-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Relating to a character is overrated. I can't relate to a character whose whole family has been murdered, doesn't mean I can't enjoy playing as them. With that said, Ezio felt really out-of-character during some points in Revelations, which is one of the reasons I didn't care for that game.

ze_topazio
12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't dislike old Ezio, my only problem with Revelations story is how over-dramatic it is.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't dislike old Ezio, my only problem with Revelations story is how over-dramatic it is.

What's dramatic about parachuting attached to a horse carriage and then having a slo-mo battle off a cliff?

LoyalACFan
12-17-2013, 09:06 PM
What's dramatic about parachuting attached to a horse carriage and then having a slo-mo battle off a cliff?

I loved ACR Ezio as well, but that scene killed a piece of my soul :p

ze_topazio
12-17-2013, 09:10 PM
The entire atmosphere of the game was like "life is so sad and tragic".

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Mine as well, I had taken over 15 times for me to get that 100% sync on that mission. That was the most I ever attempted to get full sync for.

LoyalACFan
12-17-2013, 09:22 PM
OT, I honestly can't see why anyone liked AC3's missions better. I can certainly understand the criticism of AC4 for being too repetitive (especially the excessive tailing missions) and AC3 legitimately did have more variety, but variety is nothing if the various activities are all garbage designed for one specific mission and never used again. Commanding troops, firing cannons, tossing tea crates, asking Paul Revere for directions, and following psychotic Canadian cleaver-wielding serial killers through downtown Boston are all very unique experiences, but none of them are all that fun. Take those out, and you're left with a game that's as repetitive as AC4 and far more boring; walk through this linear path, fight a bunch of Redcoats, press button to assassinate in cutscene.

If there's one thing I love most about AC4, it's that it truly did place the focus back on the core pillars of the franchise. People can complain all they want about "Pirate's Creed" and all that nonsense, but stealth and navigation returned to the series in a big way here. The combat is good too, but that's the one area I do actually think AC3 handled better.

SixKeys
12-17-2013, 09:36 PM
OT, I honestly can't see why anyone liked AC3's missions better. I can certainly understand the criticism of AC4 for being too repetitive (especially the excessive tailing missions) and AC3 legitimately did have more variety, but variety is nothing if the various activities are all garbage designed for one specific mission and never used again. Commanding troops, firing cannons, tossing tea crates, asking Paul Revere for directions, and following psychotic Canadian cleaver-wielding serial killers through downtown Boston are all very unique experiences, but none of them are all that fun. Take those out, and you're left with a game that's as repetitive as AC4 and far more boring; walk through this linear path, fight a bunch of Redcoats, press button to assassinate in cutscene.

If there's one thing I love most about AC4, it's that it truly did place the focus back on the core pillars of the franchise. People can complain all they want about "Pirate's Creed" and all that nonsense, but stealth and navigation returned to the series in a big way here. The combat is good too, but that's the one area I do actually think AC3 handled better.

This man speaks the truth.

LoyalACFan
12-17-2013, 09:43 PM
This man speaks the truth.

I try.

I-Like-Pie45
12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
You are wrong because nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Thayin2012
12-17-2013, 10:05 PM

As long as it's not so much depth that we're playing Hide and Seek instead of Assassinating, it's fine with me.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I try.

You succeed!

I-Like-Pie45
12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
He has not. You see, it's all a matter of perspective.

LoyalACFan
12-17-2013, 10:08 PM
You succeed!

Baww :o

I-Like-Pie45
12-17-2013, 10:11 PM
You can only lie to yourself for so long.

Thayin2012
12-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Eurekea! The next AC game

Assassin's Creed: Super Mario Galaxy

In a world wracked by dictatorship, kidnapping and mutated mushrooms, your mission is to eliminate Bowser once and for all. Break his rule. Repair the galaxy.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Ezio in Revelations didn't work for me because the entire thing felt patched together. I'd already read the Secret Crusade so the Altair stuff wasn't new to me.

Likewise, helping the slave-holding Ottoman Sultanate maintain power didn't exactly feel very heroic.

Ezio's future wife didn't exactly wow me either.

It's like married the Italian Bella from Beauty and the Beast (The Disney version no less).

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Ezio in Revelations didn't work for me because the entire thing felt patched together. I'd already read the Secret Crusade so the Altair stuff wasn't new to me.

Likewise, helping the slave-holding Ottoman Sultanate maintain power didn't exactly feel very heroic.

...Ezio's future wife didn't exactly wow me either.

It's like married the Italian Bella from Beauty and the Beast (The Disney version no less).
Haha yeah same here, Sofia was just so dull and how Ezio and Sofia met was just so cheesy and all of those chat-up lines that Ezio used on her just made me cringe.

ze_topazio
12-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Revelations was full of cheese and corn.

Charles_Phipps
12-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Admittedly, it's better than how such a relationship would go in real life in that time period.

Ezio: Hey, I own the entirety of Rome.

Sofia: Really?

Ezio: Yes. Marry me?

Sofia: I'll have to ask my father.

Ezio: I'll buy his business otherwise.

Sofia: Then yes!

Landruner
12-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Actually I did not really liked mostly the gameplay of neither for AC3 nor AC4: I explain it quickly the raison why. AC3 had a lot of variety of missions (main missions) alas most of them fell into that over used "tailing, eardrop mission" template at least concerning the assassin mission parts.
Then you have those weird revolutionary sequences, which consist in tossing the Tea in Boston Harbor for the infamous Tea party events, running at night and being yield at for direction for Paul Revere for his legendary ride,

Then, you have also the battle sequences that I found the most disappointing (Mounted on a horse and order patriot canons to fired at red coats (Battle of Lexington and Concord), a sequence of sabotaging 2 ships in Charleston, followed by passing the line of the redcoats in order to reach the target, and another use of a canon in the battle of Monmouth...I mean I felt that a lot of opportunities for making a game so unique in using the historical situations to its advantage had been lost there.

I mean the situation for a great gameplay were there, alas the gameplay was not. (It is a bit like doing a game about JFK 's assassination and the game designer decides to setting the main character as on of the driver of the motorcade and we get the same type of gameplay, we got for AC3, a type of historical tourist ala Forrest Gump).

The rest of the gameplay concerning the side missions were also a festival of lost opportunities, the assassin missions were just catching a generic guard in the street of Boston, and NY . The underground lost a nice opportunity to give to those cities a bit a mysteries, and some nice plate forming gameplay (aka AC2/ACB/ACR Templar lairs and tombs), the hunting missions were uninspired, the frontiers missions lost in opportunities to be conclusive with the history situation (Aka the sea monster not being referred as the 1776' s "Turtle" which was the first submarine ever used, the historical situation was there, why not having doing something more instructive, and why not having Connor to try to sabotage the English ship in NY harbor like it was historically intended ? imagine the cool underwater mission it could have been) then you have the hunting, the no so rewarding collecting and some more - I mean they are a lot of opportunities lost there, in resulting in a very shallow mission's designs, which a lot of people could refer as lazy gameplay.

However; the game offered some surprise with the Naval missions, which were great, and I have too say that the combat were cool (although repetitive alas), and I felt that the story had a great potential (alas the direction was not there and the all sparkle of that story drowned in a flood of technical or unpolished issues.)

For AC4, well I found the fight a bit backward comparing to AC3,(No so responsive than any AC I have played) - Then comes to the worse part of the gameplay, the missions design and the over use of "tailing mission" template, I mean there, this is a festival of successive tail that dude or those dude(s) mission type.
I had fun with that game, but I had only fun with the sea parts, not really with land parts.
I do not want write again why, I have detailed this over and over during the past weeks between the story, some details in the gameplay (stealth, social stealth, AI, combat system and ever the character evolution. I also suggested ideas for improving the game via patches or by the add-ons.
Sure AC4 as a pirate game is a winner, but for the rest...and the notably the assassination parts(?) I feel like they could use a hand from indies in order to altering it and make it less repetitive or uninspired gameplay.

In an all, I believe that the designer has to consider to emphasize the gameplay a way more complex and deeper in order to offering much more varieties & surprises and not over using those repetitive tailing sequences which had been there and used for a way too long.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Relating to a character is overrated. I can't relate to a character whose whole family has been murdered, doesn't mean I can't enjoy playing as them. With that said, Ezio felt really out-of-character during some points in Revelations, which is one of the reasons I didn't care for that game.

I thought Id be able to relate to Edward due to knowing his backstory...sad it didn't get personal other than the cutscene at the beginning of each sequence...

Thayin2012
12-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I love how we can go from discussing missions to talking about getting personal with characters on this forum.

roostersrule2
12-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I always like a stealth-essential mission or two, like the LEONARDO WAR MACHINE missions that were awesome.Yes! The flying bomber one was amazing.

pirate1802
12-18-2013, 12:05 PM

* Raises hand*

Hey, Rev Ezio's my favorite too.

*Raises both hands* Revelations Ezio, without any shade of doubt, is my favourite Ezio.

This as well. I was less playing and more rolling my eyes at that slo-mo "fight".

roostersrule2
12-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I like AC2 and ACR Ezio, equally.

In one he is old and wise in the other he is young and brash, it makes for a nice contrast.

Thayin2012
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
I do prefer the way they handled Assassin Contracts, though. It was so unchallenging to just walk up to someone with a target above their head in AC3 and low profile kill them. Having a restricted area etc. makes it way more motivating to do the contract in AC4. Except for the fact that it was easier in 3... And I am very lazy.