PDA

View Full Version : Running Assassinations and Combat Animations

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 12:07 AM
This thread is regardingthe animations in Ac4.

For one, the combat animations need some serious tuning up. In AC3, they gave us tomahawk animations for the knives, and it looked ridiculous. Now, we have tomahawk animations for the swords that look even more ridiculous. Edward uses them like blunt weapons at times, or like axes. It looks absolutely awful and makes combat with swords cringeworthy. For the love of G_d, Please ubisoft, in addition to developing new animations, PLEASE make the animations work for te weapon we use. Otherwise we are stuck with ridiculous animations for a whole game.

Next, am I the only one who really does not like the running assassination animations for the hidden blades? While the tomawak, fist, and swords running assassinations keepyour speed, the hidden blade ones do nothing but slow you down. The player takes the time to lift the enemy up into the air and smash them back down.

There was a running assassination animation from the AC3 gameplay trailer that was AWESOME. It would have worked so much better. At 1:40

http://youtu.be/EiVJG_mrtFoq

If video does not work: http://youtu.be/EiVJG_mrtFo

It seems that it would work like this:

If you begin doing the running assassination but then stop running in the middle of it, then it ends up being like one of those small jumping assassinations from the AC1-ACR era. But if you continue running, you do a sweet badass roll that keeps you moving nice and fast. They have the animation stored somewhere, so they should totally put it in ACV.

There are also some of the hookblade running guard dispatch animations that could also work.

What do you guys think?

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I don't love the running hidden blade assassination either. The double one is not as bad though. That one in the video was preeeetty fancy. I kind of miss those little running jumping assassinations from AC1-ACR, and it would be neat if there was a way like you mentioned to be able to do them if you really wanted. And while I agree some of the more slashing/smashing animations for the double swords look weird and out of place, a lot of them aren't actually fully reused from AC3, but instead have tweaks to them. They look a lot better and make a lot more sense if you use a cutlass or something like that instead of a more rapier type sword.

The problem is they don't have the perfect sword like this. The one from the cover of the game would be perfect. Pirate scimitars are too big and it looks silly since he holds two, privateer cutlass has a super ugly hilt guard, pistol swords have the dumb shooting animations with infinite ammo, etc. The french court swords look alright, I'd say the best of the rapier class and have good stats. But then there's the issues with the animations bugging some people. The british colonial cutlasses (or something like that) work well if you can get past the weird bend in them. The stats at first look bad, but actually since it has a high combo stat, it kills enemies pretty quick. In like 3 hits. The combo stat actually works like damage, meaning how many hits before you kill them and start a combo I believe. Damage is really situational since it only makes a difference if you shoot an enemy then attack them with the sword or vice versa. And speed is speed.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 12:20 AM
The axe running assassination is so ******* awesome, but yeah hidden blades and swords need fine tuning.

phoenix-force411
12-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Lol, I was wondering the same thing. I knew I saw an old hidden blade animation somewhere that was refined for the combat of ACIII. Sadly, they took out a lot of animations from their trailers and demos. Same goes for ACR as well.

MnemonicSyntax
12-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Here's a few animations that repeat themselves, proving the point of this thread.

Some of them aren't logical at all, like the "swinging a hatchet but it's really just a hidden blade slice" move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiepNyZQFQs

Also, if you hold down the attack button with hidden blades out, Edward will do Connor's same dagger flipping animation but with nothing in his hand!

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 12:33 AM
I like the running tomahawk & hidden blade animations of AC3 & the running hidden blade of AC4. What I find that works well if you plan that you're going to perform a running assassination then 9 times out of 10 running assassinations work well. You just have to be quick with the sequence of buttons.

SixKeys
12-17-2013, 12:36 AM
I didn't even know you could do a running assassination with the tomahawk. :p I rarely used it.

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Also, if you hold down the attack button with hidden blades out, Edward will do Connor's same dagger flipping animation but with nothing in his hand!

Yeah, that was just lazy. His idle weapon movements are nice on other weapons though.

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 12:37 AM
I didn't even know you could do a running assassination with the tomahawk. :p I rarely used it.

I believe you could do it with any weapon. I used the tomahawk quiet a bit, and never changed it once I got the Assassin Tomahawk.

SixKeys
12-17-2013, 12:42 AM
I believe you could do it with any weapon. I used the tomahawk quiet a bit, and never changed it once I got the Assassin Tomahawk.

I always default to hidden blades when I'm trying to be stealthy. Especially as soon as I discovered that it's impossible to stealth-assassinate someone with the tomahawk in AC3. (With the hidden blades Connor just stabs them and moves on; with the tomahawk he does this fancy neck-twirl which for some reason alerts everyone in the vicinity.)

Sigv4rd
12-17-2013, 12:44 AM
I think the solution is to have varying assassination animations...

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah running assassinations with the Tomahawk are possible, just as with any weapon in hand.

I preferred the Tomahawk (used it all the time) than the Hidden blades in AC3.

EzioAssassin51
12-17-2013, 01:43 AM
I don't get how they look ridiculous.
I can recall 3 or 4 animations reused, and they're not lazy. they actually work. That one where Edward stabs them through the neck then punches them as they go on their knees? That makes sense. Wacking them with sword does seem a bit strange to do like normally, but it can still be done and still makes sense. I don't think they look dumb. They could have actually been lazy and made them EXACTLY the same the whole way through, like with knives, so just be happy they didn't do that! They look good, I like the animations, they're brutal, as a Pirate would be with a sword.

I also like to running animations, they look good too, even the hidden blade. It may slow you down but you build up speed again easily.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 02:04 AM
The running assassinations in AC1-ACR made me cringe, really. The newer animations beats them by a landslide.

MnemonicSyntax
12-17-2013, 03:20 AM
There was no running assassinations in AC1-ACR.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 03:39 AM

Jumping and stabbing the guy during a chase on the ground isn't a running assassination?

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 04:10 AM

The ones where you were running and them you'd jump on the guy. You don't keep running in those games, but it's still a running assassination. I honestly liked the animation itself, just not the fact it didn't keep you mobile. It was epic and really satisfying to eventually pounce on some guy you were chasing for a while, and in the new games the only want to get something similar to that animation is to do a jump air assassination, not the straight drop down air assassination.

MIA SILENT
12-17-2013, 04:25 AM

I get what you mean. 'Running Assassination' was really coined until AC3 when you could kill a guy then carry on running.

aL_____eX
12-17-2013, 09:54 AM
There is a very nice double running assassination animation, where Edward kills one guy with the blades, jumps on him straight to the other guy to kill him. Looks very cool. Also now that I managed to do all the cool pistol and rope dart double kill animations, combat is so much more enjoyable for me.
I think, the system became more and more easy since AC1, but as AC never was really difficult (except for optional objectives) with the fighting that's not a bad thing. What I liked most about ACIII was this new combat system, as it allowed you kill more guards at once and it looked very smooth and good. In the former AC games, the moves were all the same and fights sometimes were to long. So maybe the new system with just counter + kill + next guard is very easy but it looks way better and makes sense for people who wanna stay stealthy most of the time.