PDA

View Full Version : My PC audio lag issue resolved!

matty42degc
12-16-2013, 10:27 PM
I followed the guides on here (.ini file tweaks) to get my lag from totally unworkable to slightly annoying but there was still notable audio lag, i.e. you play a note and there's an audible delay of a few milliseconds

I didn't need to revert to on-board audio, which I'm quite happy about as the signal is quite dirty compared to through the sound card, and it saves me hassle.

lag reduced to nothing (that I can hear) by disabling my on-board Ethernet/NIC. Thanks to some random on Reddit for that, there's no mention in the official how-too guides.
You need net access to start the game, but once on, you can alt-tab out, and disable the NIC in device manager.

Just like playing through a normal analogue amp, no delay, perfect!

I'm sure it doesn't help the Uplay DRM/bloat-ware takes up almost as much system resource as the game itself :/

Something to try if you have audio lag issues on PC.

My set up is
overclocked Q6600
4 gig fast o/c ram
cheap creative sound card
Nvidia GTX285 o/c

DVI to a monitor and a tv, both 1080 res
analogue audio to an AV receiver/speakers

Hopefully this helps someone.

thoman23
12-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Wow, very strange. I would expect disabling on-board Ethernet to be as effective at reducing audio lag as chanting Wiccan spells at your motherboard...but glad it worked for you and maybe it will work for others.

matty42degc
12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Yeh I thought it was strange, I think its something to do with the way windows handles hardware.. but I won't pretend to understand why it works the only other option was to cut my soundcard out of the loop, but stangely the NIC thing worked, I was dubious at first but though I'd give it a go as it only takers a sec to disable/re-enable it.

Tully__
12-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Not that surprising if Windows is giving net traffic processing a very high priority. It may be making the sound card wait for information, causing delays.

RaYdeN154
12-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Strangely enough, this worked for me as well... time to find out what is causing that slowdown lag related to the NIC ubisoft... its such a hassle to switch to analogue audio and turning off the net just to play, also your store is not accessible if our internet is turned off! gonna miss those impulse buyers hurry and fix it!
EDIT: it still happen though doing this delays it for some reason, i can play for a long time before it start slowing down then i alt-tab to fix it
EDIT: ripped out my Asus Xonar DX, went back to onboard audio, no more lag....

matty42degc
12-17-2013, 01:04 PM
If it is down to the way windows manages device priority there may not be much the game devs can do about it.
I guess due to the specific time critical nature of guitarsmith you dont see such conflicts in other scenarios, or at least you'd never notice.

matty42degc
12-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Ill have to keep an eye out for it coming back then.. I hope i don't have to ditch my sound card as the reason i got it was to eliminate some Buzzing /interference when the volumes cranked.