PDA

View Full Version : AC IV Wins Gamespots Xbox ONE GOTY!!!! Too!!!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Not ONLY does it win for PS4 it also wins for Xbox ONE!
A MASSIVEEE statement from Ubisoft to Microsoft and Sony
Step up your game because a port just kicked your A**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_iMR5dgJ5Q

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 10:15 PM
X1 doesn't have a lot of good games anyways. =S

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2013, 10:48 PM

Idk, people like to say not that big of a deal...but there was

Cod Ghosts
BattleField 4
Fifa 15
Killzone Shadowfall
Dead Rising 3
Ryse (Im a sony fanboy and think Ryse kicked ***)
Resogun
Fortza 5

Sure it wasn't last of us and GTA V level competition but still pretty good to sweep next gen launch year :D
Next Gen Year #1 - The Year of Assassin's Creed IV
Noones gonna remember the last of us!
haha (jk)

Savage Baird LE
12-16-2013, 10:50 PM
And the PS4 does lol?

Sushiglutton
12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Congrats, well deserved!

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Idk, people like to say not that big of a deal...but there was

Cod Ghosts
BattleField 4
Fifa 15
Killzone Shadowfall
Dead Rising 3
Ryse (Im a sony fanboy and think Ryse kicked ***)
Resogun
Fortza 5

Sure it wasn't last of us and GTA V level competition but still pretty good to sweep next gen launch year :D
Next Gen Year #1 - The Year of Assassin's Creed IV
Noones gonna remember the last of us!
haha (jk)

Yeah, Ryse was awesome. I think a sequel would have the potential to be GOTY if they make one.

And the PS4 does lol?

Who said anything about the PS4? Trying to start a console war?

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 12:35 AM
This was bound to happen. Ryse sucks terribly, Forza 5 is filled with brutal micro-transactions and if you don't buy in, you have to spends hundreds of hours to grind to unlock high level cars. Dead Rising 3 sucks. Cod sucks. Battlefield kinda sucks and 4 has a lot of glitches. Need for Speed Rivals was average. AC:4 was great. I doubt AC5 will win next year though once all the "real" games come out. DA:I, MGSV, Destiny, Watch Dogs, etc.

roostersrule2
12-17-2013, 06:57 AM
TBH if it didn't win the PS4 and X1 GOTY,I'd be surprised. There are basically no games on either system that are worth buying a console for.

pirate1802
12-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Well, there wasn't much competition was there? The real test would be next year, as Kagurra said. Or if it wins any awards for current gen.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I doubt AC5 will win next year though once all the "real" games come out. DA:I, MGSV, Destiny, Watch Dogs, etc.

Who knows? Maybe AC:V will be something that blows all those games into the ground. AC:IV came out unexpectedly great and it had only 2 and a half years of production.

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 09:27 AM
It's not like either console has anything else worth mention at the present moment lol

STDlyMcStudpants
12-17-2013, 07:41 PM
I honestly don't think we will see AC V next year.
V is such a gigantic milestone....
IF we do for whatever reason see it next year I pray its THE GTA V of Assassin's Creed
Lke AC2 and AC3 level of innovation.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 07:45 PM
I have franchise fatigue for the first time, I sigh at the site of men in hoods against some funky backdrop representing the story's cheesy as hell themes and whatnot.

Lol jk I love the series, skeptical though - as always - about the next iteration. It may innovate but like AC3 it could bring us NEW but also bring us BORING and SOUL CRUSHING LINEARITY.

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I honestly don't think we will see AC V next year.
V is such a gigantic milestone....
IF we do for whatever reason see it next year I pray its THE GTA V of Assassin's Creed
Lke AC2 and AC3 level of innovation.

GTA5 sucked ***. Don't start with that.

And we will. They said that the next AC will be way more "next-gen". Besides, they're not going to break this annual streak they have.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 08:48 PM

And we will. They said that the next AC will be way more "next-gen". Besides, they're not going to break this annual streak they have.

Was GTA V that overrated? =S

Waiting for a PC port.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-17-2013, 10:59 PM

Im not asking for an annual break, just for a filler game even if its a $40 filler game in between.

xCHEMISTx
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
I was surprised to see GTA V won their GotY for 360. It would mainly be on account of its story mode because it's online was plagued (and still is) with glitches. I have been playing X-Box since they come out and I won't be buying the X-Box One until some better games come out. AC4 did well to win the GotY on the console though considering it was originally designed for the 360.

pirate1802
12-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Im not asking for an annual break, just for a filler game even if its a $40 filler game in between.

Hell no. Better take a break or if not then give us something actually worth the money. After Brotherhood and Revelations I don't think I can endure another filler game dressed as a full priced sequel..

roostersrule2
12-18-2013, 06:58 AM

And we will. They said that the next AC will be way more "next-gen". Besides, they're not going to break this annual streak they have.GTA V is amazing, it was an ambitious game that actually lived up to it's promise, unlike AC3.

Was GTA V that overrated? =S

Waiting for a PC port.GTA V is overrated in the way people think it's the best game ever, it's second, only to RDR.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-18-2013, 07:24 PM
I was surprised to see GTA V won their GotY for 360. It would mainly be on account of its story mode because it's online was plagued (and still is) with glitches. I have been playing X-Box since they come out and I won't be buying the X-Box One until some better games come out. AC4 did well to win the GotY on the console though considering it was originally designed for the 360.

GTA V gets praise for its open world, not its story or MP
Theres so much messing around to do..you know like when youre age 8-14 thats all you play video games for - to mess around, jump ramps, go on a killing spree...
GTA V has SO much of this to do that even the big kids can enjoy.
It deserves 360 GOTY but The Last of Us Deserves the overall GOTY
But again remember, a games greatness has nothing to do with finding personal enjoyment..
I thought Journey was boring and dull and look how praised it is

pacmanate
12-18-2013, 08:22 PM
GTAV's story was actually suprisingly good.

Boulder_Av
12-18-2013, 10:05 PM
GTA V gets praise for its open world, not its story or MP
Theres so much messing around to do..you know like when youre age 8-14 thats all you play video games for - to mess around, jump ramps, go on a killing spree...
GTA V has SO much of this to do that even the big kids can enjoy.
It deserves 360 GOTY but The Last of Us Deserves the overall GOTY
But again remember, a games greatness has nothing to do with finding personal enjoyment..
I thought Journey was boring and dull and look how praised it is

I agree with the GTA comments. The draw is never really the story or the social commentary (which is as subtle as a steamroller and seems to come from a head of a 15 year old boy). I am not sure about the comments about the Last of Us, I thought that it was a good game but not a great game. Triple A releases were pretty weak excluding things like Black Flag, Bioshock Infinite (which gets a ton of undue praise), and few others. I think that indies made much better games this year than big publishers. Games like Brothers A Tale of Two Sons and Gone Home deserve game of the year honors.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 01:34 PM
GTAV's story was actually suprisingly good.Indeed, wasn't amazing or anything but it was better then expected.

I agree with the GTA comments. The draw is never really the story or the social commentary (which is as subtle as a steamroller and seems to come from a head of a 15 year old boy). I am not sure about the comments about the Last of Us, I thought that it was a good game but not a great game. Triple A releases were pretty weak excluding things like Black Flag, Bioshock Infinite (which gets a ton of undue praise), and few others. I think that indies made much better games this year than big publishers. Games like Brothers A Tale of Two Sons and Gone Home deserve game of the year honors.Gone Home is terrible, most overrated game (apart from GTA IV) I've ever seen. The story is weak and the gameplay, well what gameplay? You can finish it in 60 seconds if you want, literally 60 seconds.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Gone Home
>Gone Home
>Game

ahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahaha

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 01:53 PM
One man's overrated game is another man's deserved winner, is what I've learned. I'll also agree with Bioshock Infinite receiving a lot of undue praise (and I'm fully aware of what I wrote before :p) For me, its basic plot was mind blowing, I'll completely agree with anyone saying that. But the overall story and pacing was fudged up by too many unnecessary set pieces aimed to pad out the game's length, bland call of duty-style gameplay and using racism as a cheap crutch to show us how baaad the bad guys are, soured the taste for me. I think the reason the game gets the amount of praise it does, is because videogame stories, are in general still in their nascent stage. So when a game like Infinite comes along, it dazzles everyone with its story so much that people get blinded. . Didn't play TLoU so can't comment on it really, but I've only heard good things about it (and a very few bad things lol). GTA V.. seems like the ultimate open world game but try as hard as I may, I cannot simply interest myself into playing these types of games. I simply don't find the urge to play them. This has also made me somewhat unpopular among my friends who simply can't fathom that a human being can not like GTA V. Anyway. for me AC 4 and Tomb Raider are without doubt the two best games to come out this year.

Oh and special mention: Remember Me. Obviously a flawed game, but I could see flashes of brilliance in it from time to time. Too bad there most likely won't be a sequel. :(

or the social commentary (which is as subtle as a steamroller and seems to come from a head of a 15 year old boy)

hahahaha completely agree!

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:06 PM
One man's overrated game is another man's deserved winner, is what I've learned. I'll also agree with Bioshock Infinite receiving a lot of undue praise (and I'm fully aware of what I wrote before :p) For me, its basic plot was mind blowing, I'll completely agree with anyone saying that. But the overall story and pacing was fudged up by too many unnecessary set pieces aimed to pad out the game's length, bland call of duty-style gameplay and using racism as a cheap crutch to show us how baaad the bad guys are, soured the taste for me. I think the reason the game gets the amount of praise it does, is because videogame stories, are in general still in their nascent stage. So when a game like Infinite comes along, it dazzles everyone with its story so much that people get blinded. . Didn't play TLoU so can't comment on it really, but I've only heard good things about it (and a very few bad things lol). GTA V.. seems like the ultimate open world game but try as hard as I may, I cannot simply interest myself into playing these types of games. I simply don't find the urge to play them. This has also made me somewhat unpopular among my friends who simply can't fathom that a human being can not like GTA V. Anyway. for me AC 4 and Tomb Raider are without doubt the two best games to come out this year. I don't get it. You love AC4, which is the ultimate open world AC game, but not GTA V the ultimate open world game?

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't get it. You love AC4, which is the ultimate open world AC game, but not GTA V the ultimate open world game?

Because the draw for me is not that AC4 is the bestest open world game, but it is set in the past. I have no interest in running around in a city which types I've seen over 9000 times in every movie and game and TV show doing silly stuff. Give me the exact gameplay in a city like Athens or Peking or Alexandria or any number of other ancient cities? I'd be all over it. I like games which give me a feeling of doing things, being at places which I'd have zero chance of visiting in real life, and something I've not seen over and over again. Thats why. And thats why I liked even Sleeping Dogs more than GTA games as well.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Because the draw for me is not that AC4 is the bestest open world game, but it is set in the past. I have no interest in running around in a city which types I've seen over 9000 times in every movie and game and TV show doing silly stuff. Give me the exact gameplay in a city like Athens or Peking or Kyoto or any number of other cities? I'd be all over it. I like games which give me a feeling of doing things, being at places which I'd have zero chance of visiting in real life, and something I've not seen over and over again. Thats why. And thats why I liked Sleeping Dogs more than GTA games as well.So you like places that haven't been seen in movies etc.

But you love Pirate settings and Asian Kung-Fu games?

Pirate, you're a man of contradictions.

Dev_Anj
12-19-2013, 02:17 PM
So you like places that haven't been seen in movies etc.

Did you miss the part where he said he enjoyed doing things in cities he had no chance of visiting, that is cities in the past?

Not to mention that the Assassin's Creed games in general allow for more freedom of movement, with the ability to scale most buildings. Flight is a different thing altogether, it relies more on skipping the city scape rather than using it, and from what I've heard GTA V doesn't do that well.

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 02:19 PM
So you like places that haven't been seen in movies etc.

Believe it or not I've not seen any PoTC movie yet. Neither a single kung-fu movie. Even if I had, you'd have to admit they are waay less common than gangsta movies and other sort of movies set in spanking American cities right? PoTC movies don't take place all over the Caribbean anyway, like AC4 does,. (might be wrong, I'd never know.)

Dev_Anj
12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Believe it or not I've not seen any PoTC movie yet. Neither a single kung-fu movie. Even if I had, you'd have to admit they are waay less common than gangsta movies and other sort of movies set in spanking American cities right? PoTC movies don't take place all over the Caribbean anyway, like AC4 does,. (might be wrong, I'd never know.)

Hell, many foreign language films are set in American cities. :p

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Did you miss the part where he said he enjoyed doing things in cities he had no chance of visiting, that is cities in the past?

Not to mention that the Assassin's Creed games in general allow for more freedom of movement, with the ability to scale most buildings. Flight is a different thing altogether, it relies more on skipping the city scape rather than using it, and from what I've heard GTA V doesn't do that well.His location is Havana...

Haha I know he's really in India but..

GTA V does both the city and countryside well, hate the GTA series and GTA V all you want, but you cannot hate it's open world. The level of detail and fun is unprecedented.

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Heh, I'd say I'd lift GTA V's gameplay and put it down on a modern middle eastern city. cairo or hell even Mogadishu lol. I'd instantly be more interested in it.

I heard somewhere that someone is making a GTA-like game based on Teheran (during the 1979 revolution). Now that's the sort of game I'd be interested in!

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Believe it or not I've not seen any PoTC movie yet. Neither a single kung-fu movie. Even if I had, you'd have to admit they are waay less common than gangsta movies and other sort of movies set in spanking American cities right? PoTC movies don't take place all over the Caribbean anyway, like AC4 does,. (might be wrong, I'd never know.)I've never watched a PoTC movie either, but they're pretty popular and you're username is pirate90210 so I thought maybe you had. American Gangsta movies and Asian Kung-Fu triad movies are basically the same for their respective countries/continents.

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 02:26 PM
GTA V does both the city and countryside well, hate the GTA series and GTA V all you want, but you cannot hate it's open world. The level of detail and fun is unprecedented.

Never said it doesn't. By the gameplay and the level of detail I said already that it looks like the ultimate open world game, I myself just don't find any need to play it.

Dev_Anj
12-19-2013, 02:26 PM
But in general American cities are used more and have more exposure than Asian cities and historical cities. Agree?

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 02:28 PM
I've never watched a PoTC movie either, but they're pretty popular and you're username is pirate90210 so I thought maybe you had. American Gangsta movies and Asian Kung-Fu triad movies are basically the same for their respective countries/continents.

Problem is I don't live in China, so I'm relatively oblivious to them. Even still, if I'm correct those movies depict the characters in a comical way. I'd be interested to see a reaalistic depiction of life in a modern Chinese city, machinations within the Triad etc. And well, American culture is basically all over the globe. Its virtually impossible to escape it no matter where you live. Unless you live in North Korea maybe..

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Never said it doesn't. By the gameplay and the level of detail I said already that it looks like the ultimate open world game, I myself just don't find any need to play it.I know, I was replying to the other guy.

But in general American cities are used more and have more exposure than Asian cities and historical cities. Agree?Indeed, but the whole point of GTA is to mock these cities and lifestyle. There as much an average, cliche American movie as they aren't.

Dev_Anj
12-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I know, I was replying to the other guy.

And when did I say I hate GTA V? I didn't play it, so I don't have much of an opinion, but I've read some reviews by reviewers I trust and heard from some people, and I just said that it seems that GTA V doesn't do flying well. I said that because I thought you'd use it to counter my point about Assassin's Creed games giving more freedom of movement using the cityscape.

Besides the point pirate1802 wasn't about GTA V parodying anything, it was about GTA games being set in cities that are highly exposed to people in general.

pirate1802
12-19-2013, 02:38 PM
True, but then again if you know a little about things around the world you already know the things that go on in those cities. It kinda gets lost on you, like a game which all of a sudden told you in big bold letters: RACISM IS BAD! (something that Bioshock Infinite did, lol) Already know that Tommy, let's move on.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:40 PM
And when did I say I hate GTA V? I didn't play it, so I don't have much of an opinion, but I've read some reviews by reviewers I trust and heard from some people, and I just said that it seems that GTA V doesn't do flying well. I said that because I thought you'd use it to counter my point about Assassin's Creed games giving more freedom of movement using the cityscape.

Besides the point pirate1802 wasn't about GTA V parodying anything, it was about GTA games being set in cities that are highly exposed to people in general.I never said you did hate it? I was just saying no matter your opinion on the GTA series, you can fault R* open-world in it.

Flying is okay, it feels like the plane is to light and too maneuverable but it goes alright and there is always the option to go in a land or water based vehicle, which IMO is the better option anyway.

I know Pirate wasn't talking about GTA V parodying stuff but I was saying GTA isn't just a typical American movie it's the opposite of it while being the exact same thing.

FrankieSatt
12-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Winning game of the year on a console that just came out in November with very few games isn't an achievement, it's a gimme.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Winning game of the year on a console that just came out in November with very few games isn't an achievement, it's a gimme.It's better then not winning it.

FrankieSatt
12-19-2013, 02:50 PM
It's better then not winning it.

It's meaningless. Win it, not win it, WHO CARES? It has nothing to do with the quality of the game when you have very few other games on the console to start with.

Actually, these awards are pretty meaningless anyway because there have been plenty of games to win "Game Of The Year" which doesn't interest me at all nor do I think was worthy of "Game Of The Year", Black Flag being one of them. It's nothing more than a popularity contest, it has very little to do with the game or the quality of the game.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:54 PM
It's meaningless. Win it, not win it, WHO CARES? It has nothing to do with the quality of the game when you have very few other games on the console to start with.

Actually, these awards are pretty meaningless anyway because there have been plenty of games to win "Game Of The Year" which doesn't interest me at all nor do I think was worthy of "Game Of The Year", Black Flag being one of them. It's nothing more than a popularity contest, it has very little to do with the game or the quality of the game.Meaningless to you maybe.

When a random guy buys an X1 or PS4 and sees AC4 got the GOTY for both, he might say "Hmm better buy that one", he may enjoy it and buy the whole series and I doubt he'd be alone. So this "meaningless" award got Ubi monies and people happy.

ProletariatPleb
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
It's better then not winning it.
Awards don't mean anything these days tho.

roostersrule2
12-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Awards don't mean anything these days tho.What about MTV awards?