PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in an AC1 remake?

Farlander1991
12-16-2013, 11:20 AM
First, I would like to say... I'm pretty sure there won't be any kind of AC1 remake/rerelease, well... if not EVER, then for a pretty long-long time. So this is just day-dreaming, pretty much. But, while playing AC4, I just got wondering what an AC1 remake in AC3/AC4 engine could look/feel like, what could be added to expand upon the game while still keeping the AC1 spirit.

Assassin's Creed 1 has three big problems, I believe.
1. Repetitive investigation content that eventually becomes boring.
2. Absence of any side-content which gives us these huge cities with not a lot of things to do or happening there.
3. Beginning is really slow - modern day world is a huge exposition dump, then we have an unskippable tutorial section, then we have a normal prologue followed by a really slow 'finding the traitor' section.

Also, the combat system counter is really overpowered.

I'll first tackle point #2.

So, in terms of side-content, what we have in the game is:
1. Flags
2. Rescuing civilians
3. Viewpoints
4. Templars

Remove all flags. Collectibles should make sense. Flags don't make sense. On purpose. But I don't think that their ironic inclusion makes them a better idea.

Transform all Templars standing around there into Assassination contracts with more sensible and deep design. That's instantly things to do in Kingdom and all the cities.

The problem is, now, that assassination contracts can't have you reward money. In fact, you can't have money at all. Money doesn't make sense in the context of AC1.

This brings to a draft idea of a side-content loop that replaces (in a sense?) money. Respect.

Assassin's Creed 1 is a story of an arrogant as **** Altair finding humility, essentially. Just as in ACB all the side-loop is focused on taking the Borgia down, in AC4 all the loop is based on making yourself and your ship more powerful (both make sense in terms of the narrative), AC1 side-loop is about getting respect (or something :D ) from your peers and citizens. It's something already present in AC1 - you help civilians, they help you.

So, the Assassination Contracts here are not for Altair - he's got his own targets. It's, really, about Altair helping other Assassins, and in turn he will be able to get more help from them (not really sure how that will work out, though).

And it can be done in a bunch of other situations. Steal food from a merchant stand to give it to some beggars, rescue slaves, etc., and as a reward we get more ways to complete our assassination mission.

Basically, in essence, it's the expanded loop that exists in AC1 already, only instead of it being limited only to escape situations (vigilantes that hold pursuers and moving blend groups), it's also for infiltration and assassination situations as well - distraction, etc. And the more you help (i.e. the more 'respect level' rises, or something) the more abilities those groups gain.

I will write up some more at a later time. What would you like to see in a most-likely-never-to-exist remake of AC1?

ProletariatPleb
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Also, the combat system counter is really overpowered.
No.

Farlander1991
12-16-2013, 11:31 AM
No.

Yes :p Heck, just remove the counter-attack, and all AC1 combat problems are fixed! :p

ProletariatPleb
12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Yes :p Heck, just remove the counter-attack, and all AC1 combat problems are fixed! :p
http://i.minus.com/iz6xYYXwT1Rzp.jpg

adventurewomen
12-16-2013, 11:55 AM
In 10 years time would be nice as an anniversary version of the first AC game, like for next gen consoles. :)

Sushiglutton
12-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I do think they could brush up crowds a lot in general. The monk blend looks real silly and stiff. They are literary a little train that moves around and can pick up Altair when he feels like a lift. It's sooo gamey. There are too many maniacs and they are pretty annoying.

There are several guarded places in the kingdom designed so you can play around in them. However stealth is not functional enough to ghost/panther them in my experience (it's possible, but fiddly as hell). So I would brush up stealth (corner cover, stalking zones in the kingdom) and redesign most of these organic mission areas to be more player friendly. I would also add more of them in the cities (palaces for nobles etc). Also add random event type things with guards, like executions, harassment of citizens and so on.

I feel like adding organized busywork goes against the spirirt of AC1. However I like your idea of helping the citizens affecting our options in the main missions.

Farlander1991
12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Also add random event type things with guards, like executions, harassment of citizens and so on.

Speaking of random events, what I would really love to see is stuff like some random Assassin running on the rooftops. Or being chased by guards (which you can try to hold on if you feel like helping a fellow brother out). Or, on said executions, you approach it and somebody Assassinates the guy on the execution stand responsible for said execution. You know, stuff like that, so there would be more Assassin activity in cities.

People say that they feel like a part of something bigger in AC1 (in terms of the Assassin Order), but I can't say that. It always felt to me like everything revolves around Altair and that we weren't part of anything bigger at all, that everything existed solely for us. Which, in a way, makes sense considering Altair is very self-centered. Heck, maybe something like this could be done: the farther you are in the story, the more random events, with Assassins and guards and whatnot, you see, so there's like a subtle gameplay/world progression in how Altair starts concerning not only about himself but sees the world around him.

Sushiglutton
12-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Speaking of random events, what I would really love to see is stuff like some random Assassin running on the rooftops. Or being chased by guards (which you can try to hold on if you feel like helping a fellow brother out). Or, on said executions, you approach it and somebody Assassinates the guy on the execution stand responsible for said execution. You know, stuff like that, so there would be more Assassin activity in cities.

People say that they feel like a part of something bigger in AC1 (in terms of the Assassin Order), but I can't say that. It always felt to me like everything revolves around Altair and that we weren't part of anything bigger at all, that everything existed solely for us. Which, in a way, makes sense considering Altair is very self-centered. Heck, maybe something like this could be done: the farther you are in the story, the more random events, with Assassins and guards and whatnot, you see, so there's like a subtle gameplay/world progression in how Altair starts concerning not only about himself but sees the world around him.

That's a good point. It would take some thought to implement correctly though. I mean it would be silly if assassins were running around all the time like couriers in (patched) AC3.

The bolded part is genius :).

pirate1802
12-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Someone getting under Sid's skin? Lemme grab my soda and popcorn!

ProletariatPleb
12-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Someone getting under Sid's skin? Lemme grab my soda and popcorn!
Just playing along, lol.

AC1 won't ever be a classic that needs to be remade. Not anytime soon atleast.

pirate1802
12-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Just playing along, lol.

AC1 won't ever be a classic that needs to be remade. Not anytime soon atleast.

Sadly..

Farlander1991
12-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah, which is why I'm saying that this probably won't ever happen :p

I honestly wish AC would've been a moddable series. I want to mod the games so much >_<

ProletariatPleb
12-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah, which is why I'm saying that this probably won't ever happen :p

I honestly wish AC would've been a moddable series. I want to mod the games so much >_<
You think I don't :|

shobhit7777777
12-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Change the mission structure a bit.

- Each assassination requires three investigations
- The Assassin Bureau dude gives you three names - each a mini-contract who gives you tactical info on the target
- The investigation missions are like the Borgia Towers or the Assassin dens...you need to get close to an individual - pickpocket them or kill them after interrogating. No eavesdropping. Interrogation would involve a short cut-scene where the target spills the beans before Altair slots em. Simple.
- Return with the information and you get the green light for the actual mission.

Add a couple of items to Altair's arsenal - poison blade/dart and maybe an explosive for distraction. Otherwise keep the rest intact.

MnemonicSyntax
12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I won't play AC without a counter. Sitting there button mashing isn't my idea of "fun." At least with countering in AC 1, it took patience and a bit of skill.

GoodChaos7
01-20-2015, 07:10 AM
I would Love to play an updated remake! (for my Xbox1) Never got to play the original.

Freyr1983
01-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Change the mission structure a bit.

- Each assassination requires three investigations
- The Assassin Bureau dude gives you three names - each a mini-contract who gives you tactical info on the target
- The investigation missions are like the Borgia Towers or the Assassin dens...you need to get close to an individual - pickpocket them or kill them after interrogating. No eavesdropping. Interrogation would involve a short cut-scene where the target spills the beans before Altair slots em. Simple.
- Return with the information and you get the green light for the actual mission.

Add a couple of items to Altair's arsenal - poison blade/dart and maybe an explosive for distraction. Otherwise keep the rest intact.

No poison blade or dart or explosive cause according the lore and during the time when Al Mualim is the leader/mentor of Levantine Brotherhood.

He do not allow his assassins to use any poison.

Correct me if i am wrong

The_Kiwi_
01-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Imagine what the AC series would be like today, though, if AC1 wasn't exactly how it is

Assuming that the other games stay the same, this is what I would think would happen

AC2 doesn't get such high praise, because it wouldn't be a vast improvement over the first one, it would just be a "mediocre sequel"
Therefore, word-of-mouth about a great game wouldn't spread, the game wouldn't be as popular, therefore maybe Ubisoft decides to skip ACB and ACR and make AC3, which in turn would be very different due to it being made under drastically different circumstances

I know AC1 is quite flawed, but I respect the game for what it is and I enjoy it for what it is
Sure, looking back on it now, it isn't that stupendous when comparing it to recent games, but at the time it was fantastic, and I wouldn't want to see it changed, because it helped shape this series into what it is now, and I think remaking it would be an insult to the memory of picking up the game for the first time, playing it, and just sitting there in awe of such a remarkable achievement

SixKeys
01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Imagine what the AC series would be like today, though, if AC1 wasn't exactly how it is

Assuming that the other games stay the same, this is what I would think would happen

AC2 doesn't get such high praise, because it wouldn't be a vast improvement over the first one, it would just be a "mediocre sequel"
Therefore, word-of-mouth about a great game wouldn't spread, the game wouldn't be as popular, therefore maybe Ubisoft decides to skip ACB and ACR and make AC3, which in turn would be very different due to it being made under drastically different circumstances

I know AC1 is quite flawed, but I respect the game for what it is and I enjoy it for what it is
Sure, looking back on it now, it isn't that stupendous when comparing it to recent games, but at the time it was fantastic, and I wouldn't want to see it changed, because it helped shape this series into what it is now, and I think remaking it would be an insult to the memory of picking up the game for the first time, playing it, and just sitting there in awe of such a remarkable achievement

Agreed. AC1 feels like a graphically impressive indie game. It has some flaws, some ideas not fully fleshed out, but the dialogue and atmosphere is on a whole different level from the sequels. Changing it to reflect the direction of the later games would be doing a disservice to the things that set it apart.

ST1NGY
01-20-2015, 10:26 AM
I won't play AC without a counter. Sitting there button mashing isn't my idea of "fun." At least with countering in AC 1, it took patience and a bit of skill.This, timing was everything back in AC 1 and AC 2, Asassins creed Brotherhood. was the easiest AC game yet. I remember playing AC 1 and triggering a conflict just to counter kill with the hidden blade without getting hit. lol

I do hope they never make a remake tho. although if they do, i'd go with better game mechanics and physics.

JustPlainQuirky
01-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Dat spontaneous thread bump.

but yes I would love an Ac1 remake.

then it can finally sync to stupid uplay

only thing i want is a change in Altair's face so he looks less like Desmond and more like revelations Altair. for consistency.

GunnerGalactico
01-20-2015, 07:46 PM
I don't really want AC1 to be remade. I kinda like it just the way it is. If I had to change a few minor things, I would want it to have:

* Day-night cycle.
* Being able to explore the interiors of buildings.
* Trophy system for consoles.
* As far as I'm concerned with the MD, I like it just the way it is. I would have had probably more secret rooms for Desmond to snoop around in, instead of being confined the Animus room and holding room.

That's all really.

Dieinthedark
01-21-2015, 05:25 AM
Honestly, the bare bones of the franchise would be a nice contradiction to how widely spread the franchise is now. No renovating clubs, no recruiting other assassins etc...I'd be perfectly happy with the first game re-textured, add some tombs (make Solomon temple a full AC2 type underground level), keep the city's unique tones, and maybe give us some Oculus support when its ready. Stabbing dudes in VR sounds enticing

BK-110
01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
I won't play AC without a counter. Sitting there button mashing isn't my idea of "fun." At least with countering in AC 1, it took patience and a bit of skill.

The problem with the counter was that it was so powerful that most people didn't utilize any of the offensive capabilities. If you stay on the offensive and don't just wait for people to attack you and just counter when you actually are attacked, then AC1's combat system is among the best in the series in my opinion. But most people will always take the path of least resistance. If the counter in AC1 was replaced with a parry like in ACU and the AI was more aggressive, then it would be pretty much perfect if you ask me.

Also, the offensive combat in AC1 and ACU isn't simply button mashing. If you hadn't noticed, it's actually the point to time your attacks right in order to finish the enemy quickly.

SixKeys
01-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Dat spontaneous thread bump.

but yes I would love an Ac1 remake.

then it can finally sync to stupid uplay

only thing i want is a change in Altair's face so he looks less like Desmond and more like revelations Altair. for consistency.

I want a Revelations remake where Alta´r looks more like Desmond. For consistency's sake.

auditorevita
01-21-2015, 05:11 PM
I think remake of ACU is first priority than remake of AC1.

aL_____eX
01-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Hey SixKeys

https://38.media.tumblr.com/880448b7c6cd6e89a53cc23bad975e02/tumblr_n2ye1qmJKn1t1prrio1_500.gif

Altair1789
01-22-2015, 10:51 PM
2 6 keys

http://funatlol.com/uploads/batman_loves_you_-funny_animation_gif_2671243781.gif

VoldR
01-23-2015, 12:35 AM
I like how hidden blades is instant kill compare to other weapons when countering.
but when AC3 comes, it's insta kill with any weapons... Iirc

i think they change from how much life remaining to Insta kill into different classes can't instakill.

personally, in AC1 I just edit the video to see a smooth flow like a chain kill combo for fun.
so I have fun switching weapons around.