PDA

View Full Version : The controller system needs to be fixed, its broken.

Lord Jurgious
12-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Hi

First of, I love the AC games, maybe thats why i stick through with the damn controller.
about 60% or more the controller dont do what intended, this is starting to be a real annoyance!

I fail at gamplay, not because its hard, but because of the control-system.
dont know but it seems its worse in Black Flag than the previous games.

and if you plan to release an AC game every year, please make focus on this the next time around, i would really like to play the next game as well.

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 05:08 AM
The controls aren't broken. You need practice.

Lord Jurgious
12-16-2013, 05:19 AM
um, no its been like this since AC1 i have played them all.
so your character, when you play he goes, jumps and fight 100% the way you intended all the time?

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 05:23 AM
um, no its been like this since AC1 i have played them all.
so your character, when you play he goes, jumps and fight 100% the way you intended all the time?

Yes. He walks, runs, climbs, counters, and shoots with no problem. Perhaps your controller is broken(?) Maybe you're button mashing or over-tilting your analogs and pushing LB too much.

Kagurra
12-16-2013, 05:59 AM
The only thing I run into that's similar and super annoying is when you're boarding a ship, some enemies will attack you when they aren't part of your little group fight or whatever it is, and you can't counter them. They just hit you out of nowhere even if you see them coming and counter, Edward just does nothing as if you're trying to counter the enemy you're facing that isn't attacking you. I play with SSI off atm, but I don't think that makes a difference. (SSI is the stuff above enemies heads, like noticing you and the counter icon. Makes things less hand-holdy)

Other than that, I haven't had much issue.

joeyhayes
12-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Yes. He walks, runs, climbs, counters, and shoots with no problem. Perhaps your controller is broken(?) Maybe you're button mashing or over-tilting your analogs and pushing LB too much.

I'd be amazed if this is the case, you must have put some insane hours into the game. Its not broken by any stretch but come on now, it's widely acknowledged that control issues have been a part of AC games forever. Usually the overall experience makes up for it though, as is the case for me with AC4.

The combat however, surely the time has come for an overhaul. Kinda mind blowing that this is the 6th game in the series and the combat is still in the state that it is. Imagine the masterpiece this thing would be with an Arkham City/Origins style combat system for example.

IWGCJoeCool
12-17-2013, 01:25 AM
when something fails, i assume i made a mistake, or my timing was bad with the LS, a button, or both...like i moved the LS too soon or too late to keep a killstreak going. i have to assume that after 6 years and as many games, if there were controller problems, they woulda been gone by 2010.

sorry, things work perfectly or as expected almost all the time....like Fatal said, practice.

JC

joeyhayes
12-17-2013, 02:44 AM
Nope. Most reviewers have mentioned that the control and combat issues that have been there since the start of the series remain in AC 4. I don't agree with the OP that it's 'broken' but it could definately be improved.

Fatal-Feit
12-17-2013, 02:58 AM
I'd be amazed if this is the case, you must have put some insane hours into the game. Its not broken by any stretch but come on now, it's widely acknowledged that control issues have been a part of AC games forever. Usually the overall experience makes up for it though, as is the case for me with AC4.

The combat however, surely the time has come for an overhaul. Kinda mind blowing that this is the 6th game in the series and the combat is still in the state that it is. Imagine the masterpiece this thing would be with an Arkham City/Origins style combat system for example.

Hell to the no! I hate the Arkhams' combat system. Don't get me wrong, I like the Arkham games A LOT, but the combat is horrific compared to AC. And it just wouldn't fit AC either. I'm quite fine with the combat AC has. All it needs are some minor tweaks and fixes.

As for the topic, I honestly have no problems with the controls, even in AC:3. I've seen people play on reviews and Let's Plays, but most of the time they're button mashing, over tilting when climbing and running, or just don't know what they're doing. I really think it comes down to practice.

Kagurra
12-17-2013, 04:07 AM
While Arkham has a great combat system, it only works for a Batman game. You can't have some assassin literally flying across the room to kick a guy. I also feel it's too fast for an AC game.

MIA SILENT
12-17-2013, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the control system being broken. Give an example of when you intended to do something but the control system wouldn't allow it or did something unintended - and I'll tell you if there was anything you could have done differently to make it work.

Sometime combat in AC4 can be sluggish and unresponsive - but I don't think that's down to the controls.

joeyhayes
12-17-2013, 04:26 AM
Hell to the no! I hate the Arkhams' combat system. Don't get me wrong, I like the Arkham games A LOT, but the combat is horrific compared to AC. And it just wouldn't fit AC either. I'm quite fine with the combat AC has. All it needs are some minor tweaks and fixes.

For real? Wow, each to their own but I don't think you'll get much support there. IMO the Arkham games have the best 3rd person melee combat system ever implemented. Agree that a straight port of it to AC would feel a little out of place but its just so much smoother than ACs, more fluid to chain together combos while still remaining challenging.