PDA

View Full Version : AC-I REBOOT for Next-Gen

IWGCJoeCool
12-16-2013, 03:56 AM
there is a story to Altair's earlier life, like what made him feel himself "above the Creed?"

or

later, post AC-I time period. he wasnt crowned head of the Assassins right away. sure, some of the blanks were filled in during Revelations, but more blanks remain.

(forgive if that seems simplistic, or covered elsewhere...i play the games, i dont read the books or graphic novels.)

for those that say that D is dead, well Abstergo has some 170lbs* of DNA, so how hard would it be to revisit while still staying in canon?

anyway, started playing ACI again today, while breaking from continuing with ACIV. had it on digi-DL from XBox, but on PS3 now...got it from Gamestop, under the Greatest PS3 Hits umbrella for 10 bux...worth it. it still looks great for early old-gen from 07? it even has a manual, along with notes by Vidic, and emails between him and Lucy. that's where it mentions that both D and Altair were the same age and weight. take me back there, Open World, with next-gen capability and graphics. all those sandy tones in the color pallette would play well.

but mostly, it's the gameplay that shines...reliance on Stealth and staying out of notice. i know it was a more primitive time, but the choice of weapons is perfect. i'm not saying that i didnt like the combat/weapons in III and IV, but they had it right the first game.

add...arial kills and kills from hiding spots. dual hiddens would be kool, but not a deal breaker

villains...well, we know this Sage comes around all the time, and sometimes more than one is possible. there's your final boss battles, fill in the sequencers.

anyway, i know that ACV must be 3/4's done and in in-house betas, also know that whatever VI brings is pretty well set too. but, a reboot worked for Tomb Raider pretty well. i wouldnt be surprised to see a return to the middle ages. i'll even be happy to remain the new hamspster working in the Subject 17 floor.

JC

MnemonicSyntax
12-16-2013, 04:13 AM
But the Tomb Raider reboot happened YEARS after Tomb Raider stopped being made, and is nearly 20 years old. While many people think a reboot would be great for Assassin's Creed, it's not going to happen while other games are being made and some time after that has passed.

A remake, with extra content, like you speak of, sure. But not a total reboot. Most of the stuff is, unfortunate for you, in the novels.

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 04:22 AM
No thanks. The first game, while it had its share of problems, does not need a reboot.(If that's what you're asking. I read it twice and it's still hard to understand for me)

It still looks great, it still plays great, and that's enough reason to leave it alone. I rather they stick to their current AC projects. We all know how much refinement those needs these days.

Wolfmeister1010
12-16-2013, 04:24 AM
They should focus all their efforts on improving and polishing the games that are under devel now. The past is the past.

Rugterwyper32
12-16-2013, 04:28 AM
A reboot? I wouldn't be a big fan of that. If they eventually had such a cluster**** that required a reboot, sure (Look at how ridiculous the Castlevania timeline was getting).
AC1 Remake? If it was anywhere near the amount of change Resident Evil REmake had, but I'd wait at least another gen or for the end of this one for that. The game still looks and plays fine by now, so I honestly have no problem with it as it stands. I would like the Adha stuff from the DS game to somehow be taken into account if a remake was made, though. Some nice pre-AC1 stuff.

Shahkulu101
12-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Somewhere down the line, when it's been on hiatus for many years I'd fully support a reboot. Right now, nah - they're doing most things right.

adventurewomen
12-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Maybe an AC1 10 yr anniversary remake like the 10yr Anniversary like Tomb Raider 1. That would be nice to see. :)

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 04:46 AM
A reboot? I wouldn't be a big fan of that. If they eventually had such a cluster**** that required a reboot, sure (Look at how ridiculous the Castlevania timeline was getting).

Speaking of cluster****s, AC:3 needs a reboot. That game was downright broken.

guardian_titan
12-16-2013, 05:20 AM
A reboot isn't likely until after the AC series is done and only if Ubisoft wants to continue with AC but in a different direction. Otherwise people scream rehash and disregard it before even giving it a chance.

An anniversary update is possible, but as soon as AC1 had one, then people will request AC2, ACB, and ACR. With the annual releases, it becomes a question of when to stop the anniversary releases or which ones deserve them. Those will also likely take time out of the other games.

And typically reboots aren't done until some years after it's initial release. There's the odd one that is rebooted within a few years (such as the two Incredible Hulk movies within a decade and the Spider-Man movies), but those aren't typical. Reboot a franchise too soon and people might grow tired of it more rapidly. Lot of reboots fail fantastically. So it's a delicate matter. Reboot too soon and people get pissed and/or tired of it before it has a chance. Reboot it wrong and it fails.

Most of Altair's life is known, though. It just happens to be in AC1, AC2, ACR, a Nintendo DS game, ... and the novels. I don't really read the novels, either (I've only read Forsaken and glanced over the AC4 novel), so it is annoying that quite often a major part of the lore is in them, but that's true with other games as well. World of Warcraft is notorious for putting major events in the novels and then just changing the game with little to nothing referencing the events in the novel. They expect you to go out and read the book. The lead-in to each expansion is always in a book and the opening event in the game for the expansion does nothing to explain what happened. I know I'm not the only one getting pissed at Blizzard for it. Ubisoft's doing the same thing. When you really look at it, though, it's all marketing and an effort to get more money. They put so much into the game and then tell you if you want more, go read the book. Granted, they can only do so much with 2 or so years of development time for the game, so the rest ends up tossed into the book. Just a shame that the books end up having to be backup to clarify things that should've been in the game to begin with.

There is a movement to have you step away from the TV and go read or go outside. So perhaps having a book tie-in is a good thing. It gets you off the computer and doing something other than playing a game. A book also is portable entertainment and perhaps one of the last things we still have these days that doesn't require a battery ... unless you have a Kindle or a Nook. So it's a good thing and a bad thing.
As for AC3, I found it fine. It was the game that got me into the series and the one I found the best to teach me how to play. It's the only game of the series I've actually played more than once. Granted, I also knew about all of the events and people in the game from history class so I wasn't really lost. Guess if someone wasn't aware of them, they'd be lost. AC1-ACR I had a hell of a time learning the controls with all the buttons to change weapons, dodge, taunt, run, free run, etc. Only thing I liked in AC2 was the story. AC1 was repetitive, and ACB and ACR were bland. Spending nearly the entire game in one location got boring.

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 05:33 AM
As for AC3, I found it fine. It was the game that got me into the series and the one I found the best to teach me how to play. It's the only game of the series I've actually played more than once. Granted, I also knew about all of the events and people in the game from history class so I wasn't really lost. Guess if someone wasn't aware of them, they'd be lost. AC1-ACR I had a hell of a time learning the controls with all the buttons to change weapons, dodge, taunt, run, free run, etc. Only thing I liked in AC2 was the story. AC1 was repetitive, and ACB and ACR were bland. Spending nearly the entire game in one location got boring.

Agreed 100%. It's my favorite too!

But the game still had too much glitches, some poorly structured missions, and the free-running was a little clunky sometimes. A reboot doesn't have to happen, but a good patch would be great.

pirate1802
12-16-2013, 07:17 AM
But the Tomb Raider reboot happened YEARS after Tomb Raider stopped being made, and is nearly 20 years old. While many people think a reboot would be great for Assassin's Creed, it's not going to happen while other games are being made and some time after that has passed.

Yep. AND, AC is one of the few franchises you don't even need to reboot. Not atleast officially. You can just as well say, oh well, this is another guy jumping into the animus to find something else of interest during Altair's time period! You have a similar Assassin, similar locations, giving off that familiar feeling. Yet technically a new and separate game. There you go, your reboot-but-not-so-obviously-one.

Besides, its too early for a reboot. You reboot something dead and forgotten and in dire need to be back in the limelight. Like tomb raider. As much as people would want to lament the tragedy of what the series has become, Pirate's Creed and bla bla bla, I don't think it fits the bill just yet. Maybe if AC IV had flopped and they stopped making any more. Then seven years hence..

DinoSteve1
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
I don't know about a reboot of AC1 but a remasted AC1 with AC4's gameplay could be cool.

D.I.D.
12-16-2013, 11:53 AM
I think this current hunger for mapping out every aspect of a character's story is a bad idea. One of the nice things about AC1 was the way it dropped you into the character's life at an interesting moment and then took you out again at a peak of mystery. That approach gives people a lot to imagine on either side of the story, and ensures that everything you see is an exciting block of time for the character.

Can I blame this on George Lucas? I'm going to blame this on George Lucas.

adventurewomen
12-16-2013, 11:59 AM
That's interesting because AC1 is the game first AC game I started playing back in 2007 that game taught me how to play the game the Animus training since that game has stayed with me. A few things have changed since then but the basic structure of AC is still there.

But the Tomb Raider reboot happened YEARS after Tomb Raider stopped being made, and is nearly 20 years old.
Actually no, TR trilogy (Legend, Anniversary & Underworld) was in planning stage for years after TR:AOD when Crystal Dynamics had taken over Core to produce TR games. Also to mention TR:Anniversary came out a year later after TR:Legend was released. TR Anniversary was released in 2007 which was 10 years later after the first TR back in 1997 so 10 years after. TR: Legend was released in 2006. After Legend & Anniversary; Underworld was released in 2008. Now the year is 2013 soon to be 2014 & in 4 years time TR will be 20 years old - 1997 - 2017..
I'm a long time fan of TR.

MnemonicSyntax
12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Actually no, TR trilogy (Legend, Anniversary & Underworld) was in planning stage for years after TR:AOD when Crystal Dynamics had taken over Core to produce TR games. Also to mention TR:Anniversary came out a year later after TR:Legend was released. TR Anniversary was released in 2007 which was 10 years later after the first TR back in 1997 so 10 years after. TR: Legend was released in 2006. After Legend & Anniversary; Underworld was released in 2008. Now the year is 2013 soon to be 2014 & in 4 years time TR will be 20 years old - 1997 - 2017..
I'm a long time fan of TR.

Those are remakes. I was talking a REBOOT. The 2013 game was a REBOOT. Where the franchise is started over.

Tomb Raider was created in 1996. Since it's almost 2014, that's a two year window to it's 20th anniversary, hence the "nearly."

DisbandedBox359
12-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Nah not for me, Altair's done, his story is told ( read The Secret Crusade if you haven't already that will fill in more of the gaps). I'd much rather the series moved on and brought new characters into the fold.

adventurewomen
12-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Those are remakes. I was talking a REBOOT. The 2013 game was a REBOOT. Where the franchise is started over. "
I wouldn't call AC4 a reboot since AC3 was the foundations for AC4 - Ubisoft just added a few more elements to gameplay and the story for AC4. The story is the basis for the Kenway family/saga in AC4.

pirate1802
12-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Wait what?

Farlander1991
12-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Uhm... he was talking about the Tomb Raider reboot, not AC. AC doesn't have any reboots, and won't have any anytime soon.

adventurewomen
12-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Uhm... he was talking about the Tomb Raider reboot, not AC. AC doesn't have any reboots, and won't have any anytime soon.
Give me a break today you've been on my case.. I'm tired alright.. :(

MnemonicSyntax
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Farlander is however, correct.

Sorry you're feeling tired :(

StilleNachT
12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
It surprises me how many people liked Ac3, and often state it as superior to AC2. I know some people have their own tastes, but there are fairly obvious logical reasons why Ac2 was an incredable achievement in gaming due to:a ritch and immersive narrative, and instantly likeable main character, and if somewhat buggy, dynamic mechanics to it's gameplay.

The reason I think it doesn't get much love comaprede to Ac3 with the younger crowd, is when Ac3 came around, this was a new generation of gamer, who have gone for graphics and what's the next new thing.

AC2 was a little older by then. The C.o.d. or "Dose grafics thou" orientated generation were not going to give it much love sadly.

I think this is the main factor.

AC3 after the first acts, looses steam story wise. It has some real lazy coding and optimisation issues. The naval warfare was tacked on and was incredably dubious and not very well explained how or why connor is suddenly the captain of his own assassins ship with a crew,

AC3 was done well compared to other games of it's type out around the same time, and that's why it has some acclaim.

Some people need to forgo the glamour and go back and try and play AC2 and pay attention. I know people have less respect for gaming critics from various sources these days (dare I even mention IGN), but they have said, with a much more educated point of view on the matter, how Ac3 wasn't superior to Ac2, although it was fun.

Just look at Ac2's reviews at the time, there is no comparision. AC2 was superior.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/assassins-creed-ii

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/assassins-creed-iii

adventurewomen
12-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Farlander is however, correct.

Sorry you're feeling tired :(
Thanks it's okay, I feel better now. Coffee helps, lol. :)

It surprises me how many people liked Ac3, and often state it as superior to AC2. I know some people have their own tastes, but there are fairly obvious logical reasons why Ac2 was an incredable achievement in gaming due to:a ritch and immersive narrative, and instantly likeable main character, and if somewhat buggy, dynamic mechanics to it's gameplay.

The reason I think it doesn't get much love comaprede to Ac3 with the younger crowd, is when Ac3 came around, this was a new generation of gamer, who have gone for graphics and what's the next new thing.

AC2 was a little older by then. The C.o.d. or "Dose grafics thou" orientated generation were not going to give it much love sadly.

AC3 after the first acts, looses steam story wise. It has some real lazy coding and optimisation issues. The naval warfare was tacked on and was incredably dubious and not very well explained how or why connor is suddenly the captain of his own assassins ship with a crew,

AC3 was done well compared to other games of it's type out around the same time, and that's why it has some acclaim.

Some people need to forgo the glamour and go back and try and play AC2 and pay attention. I know people have less respect for gaming critics from various sources these days (dare I even mention IGN), but they have said, with a much more educated point of view on the matter, how Ac3 wasn't superior to Ac2, although it was fun.

Just look at Ac2's reviews at the time, there is no comparision. AC2 was superior.

While AC2 was a good game, I wouldn't call it a superior game, tbh. I've been playing AC since 2007 and I still think that AC1 is still an interesting game. AC2 is only "popular" with AC fanbase because a lot of new AC gamers jumped on the bandwagon then because AC2 was hyped back then.

Brotherhood was a decent game, I prefer that to AC2. I disliked Revelations. AC3 & ToKW are still my favourites. I haven't yet finished playing AC4 might be on the same level as AC3 for me. I'm enjoying AC4 more than AC2 at this point.

ze_topazio
12-16-2013, 07:40 PM
AC3 was released 3 years after AC2, i don't think there was enough time to develop a new generation of kids, there's a generation that loves the classic Sonic games and a different generation that loves Sonic Adventure, there's a generation that loves the 8/16 bits Final Fantasy games and a different one that loves the PS1 Final Fantasy games and another one that loves the PS2 games, AC2 and AC3 are part of the same generation.

Fatal-Feit
12-16-2013, 10:08 PM

You're forgetting something called ''opinion''.

And AC:2 is over-rated. Have you been to any AC video? There're hundreds, no, THOUSANDS, of fans *****ing about AC:3 and placing AC:2 on a pedestal. AC:2 is awesome, it's innovating, it's one of best of the franchise, we get it. Are a couple fans who enjoys AC:3 more not allowed to express themselves without being placed on the same level of CoD addicts? Get off your high-chair. Reviews don't always mean anything. Just take a look at Angry Joe's AC:3 review. That was one of the worse reviews I've ever watched. And yet he's still one of my favorite source for reviews.

It has nothing to do with the change in gaming community. Nobody have forgotten the glamour that is AC:2. AC:2 is still heavily loved by everyone while AC:3 is taking the beating. However, people are allowed to have opinions.

AC:3 is Superman's 'Man of Steel'. It is heavily loved by fans who understand and appreciates the change, while at the same time, is hated by Superman fanboys across the globe. 'Man of Steel' is even remarked as a disgrace to the series, like AC:3 have been. Yet you see Angry Joe, who's a huge Superman fan and actually loves Man of Steel, argues and dispute with those who hates it.

I just got up so if I made any stupid mistake in this post, I'll correct it later~

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2013, 10:52 PM
AC IV essentially IS the reboot.
It Started the First Person Saga lol
But No more revisiting characters. I like the idea of a new protagonist every year.
I would like to see an HD Remake though but mostly because i want trophies LOL

IWGCJoeCool
12-17-2013, 01:10 AM
well, this thread got some action...from the Seniors to the Newers.

anyway, what if i had NOT said, REBOOT, or REMAKE, but had said REVISIT? same time period, same general, some specific geographical locales...like i said, i only play the games and dont much see anything about the wider canon in books and graphic movels. if you say Altair is really played out, what if he was the mentor to a younger Assassin...he had a son, and lived beyond the revelations in Revelations lol ..? or it could cover the exploits of a Den Leader in another city.

anyway, something like that, with some enhanced abilities yet simpler era weaponry, and i'd place my preorder today. i know that these kinds of wish-upon-a-star threads are like holding up a handkerchief to make the Tall Ship Assassins Creed go faster, but, what else are big fans to do?

gotta say...playing ACI right now, it's so different than the first time, where i was totally noobious and lost, especially early on. now, I AM An Assassin!!!, fully in command of my tools and talents, and in control of the situations.

JC

dxsxhxcx
12-17-2013, 02:54 AM
well, this thread got some action...from the Seniors to the Newers. anyway, what if i had NOT said, REBOOT, or REMAKE, but had said REVISIT? same time period, same general, some specific geographical locales...like i said, i only play the games and dont much see anything about the wider canon in books and graphic movels. if you say Altair is really played out, what if he was the mentor to a younger Assassin...he had a son, and lived beyond the revelations in Revelations lol ..? or it could cover the exploits of a Den Leader in another city. anyway, something like that, with some enhanced abilities yet simpler era weaponry, and i'd place my preorder today. i know that these kinds of wish-upon-a-star threads are like holding up a handkerchief to make the Tall Ship Assassins Creed go faster, but, what else are big fans to do? gotta say...playing ACI right now, it's so different than the first time, where i was totally noobious and lost, especially early on. now, I AM An Assassin!!!, fully in command of my tools and talents, and in control of the situations. JC

IMO the time to "revisit" Altair was in ACR but unfortunately they didn't make a good use of this opportunity...

about the remake/reboot: they would probably turn the game into a reskinned version of pos-AC2 games instead of make a better AC1 and I ain't interested in it, so I prefer AC1 and Altair to be forgotten than turned into that just to milk the cow a little more..

StilleNachT
12-17-2013, 12:54 PM
When we have a reboot of Spiderman and Batman coming, opr with what happened with Devil May Cry, a reboot wouldn't suprise me. The logic is fading fast with fat cats and reboots. that aside though I think Ubisoft are carrying on a bigger narrative. Without spiolers, Desmond may be gone but that storyline he wasenvolved with isn't over in AC4.

Going back to the begining before an end would upset the player base. I think they will continue to go forward with a game set in japan or the wildwest coming next. Thedebate on which is continuing of course.

DinoSteve1
12-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I think people are overestimating AC3, beyond this forum it was met with a overwhelming meh.

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I think people are overestimating AC3, beyond this forum it was met with a overwhelming meh.
Fanboying does make one try to justify petty things. Been there, done that.

On-topic: Rebooting a 6-7 year old game?
http://i.minus.com/i1LRde4KiwTax.jpg

There hasn't been that big a difference since then that it needs to be made again.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-17-2013, 01:37 PM
An AC1 Anniversary/Remake Edition or something on the 10th anniversary of the franchise might be cool.

Bigger and more lifelike cities
Better graphics of course with the new animations (or perhaps even newer animations as I'm sure AC's animations will take at LEAST one more jump in animations by 2017)
Less repetition when it comes to the side missions as well as the way you set up an assassination. I like the feather and I like having to gather information but it should feel a bit more organic. Roving eavesdrop like from AC3 might be good but shouldn't be overused. They'd replace the static and boring eavesdrop from the original game
Improved combat, AI, etc.
Improved Desmond sequences. Perhaps make them similar to the way AC4 handles the modern areas by having us explore and have to hack into Lucy and Vidic's laptop, etc.
More things to do and see

Tailors to dye clothes (black Altair robes would be awesome to see and use as he's currently the only Assassin not to have a black variant of some kind in HIS game...not counting his armor)
Masyaf would be the new Monteriggioni/Homestead: upgrade the Assassin fortress as well as the small town below with store renovations, an armor room in the fortress, etc.
Perhaps there could be two special outfits kind of like how AC4 has two special outfits, the Templar Armor and Mayan Armor. Perhaps there's one you unlock by killing off the various Templar Knights and acquiring keys to unlock a chamber with a special set of Templar Armor. The final one would be a "post game" reward after defeating Al Mualim. Using the Apple and solving a series of puzzles, the game can reward you with....the Armor of Altair albeit less Renaissance looking, more Middle Ages but more or less the same.

etc.

It would be cool but it's still a decent enough game and I'm not itching for it by any means. I'd like to see more and new settings.

StilleNachT
12-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I think people are overestimating AC3, beyond this forum it was met with a overwhelming meh. You know I couldn't honestly agree more.

I'll be honest due to the issues i'm having with the Ac4 companion app' that's why I'm hovering about here each day, while in work, waiting for an answer. So I haven't really visited these forums much before.

When I first starting reading posts on here last week, the fans Ac3 has on here really suprised me. Most places you can read comments by gamers and not critics considering Ac3, the feeling is generally the same about Ac3. Infact a lot of people down right hate it and state after that they won't return to the series (I'm sure on the sly after the positive press and next gen cnsole releases they did come back for ac4 ;) ).

The feeling regarding Ac2 is also one of praising it outside this forum.

Both of these opinions I was used to, and shared myself, are both completely turned on their head in this forum here on the games home site ( are they secretly the Ac3 game devs? :rolleyes:). Very, very odd.

Not sure if it's some kind of hipster against the grain point of view, but Ac3 I really can't say ANY saving gracies after you become Connar, and let me tell you I'VE LOOKED VERY VERY HARD. I paid full price for Ac3 on day one from ubi soft's site.

Ac4 was a hard purchase for me after that. The relief I got from finding I enjoyed playing Assassins Creed again was great!;)