PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving this game, but it needs more polish in patches.

steelfaithu2
12-15-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm experiencing a lot of the bugs people have been talking about on the forums, but luckily it hasn't stopped me from playing the game entirely. I really hope there will be some quality patches released, and I will be more than happy to purchase some dlc.

Anyways, yesterday there was something that happened to me in-game that really disappointed me, but I don't think it was a bug (just poor game design). Well, I pulled up with my ship and crew to a plantation where the guards are overseeing black slaves working on the fields and mills. I depart the ship and come on shore, and I start to assassinate the guards; things seemed to be too easy just killing them stealthily, so I start fighting them overtly to get some attention, and still it seems like the majority of the guards are unaware of the chaos going on in their outpost. So I start running through the entire place trying to get all the guards rounded up and coming after me, and I lead them back to the docks near my ship; I then hop on my ship and I hope for a fight to break out between my crew and the soldiers - well they just sit there looking at each other doing nothing - so I take control of the ship and attempt to unleash a barrage of cannons on the mob of soldiers - but it doesn't work and the shots do absolutely nothing to them.

So my disappointment is due to the fact that I was hoping that this crew you spend so much effort to round up and fight for you would not just do it's fighting on the seas, but also help you in assaults on lands raids. I can understand it might be too easy and exploitable to use your ship to just barrage coastal towns and outposts to death,but it sucks it's so obviously outside the gameplay. Lastly, I thought after I killed all these soldiers, that I could offer these slaves employment on my vessel, or even set them free - yet they just kept on working even with no guards around.

I think some of these issues (AI, gameplay tweaks etc) could be improved with some quality patches, but I really don't think the devs would bother, as it seems all intentional to make things both not too hard, or too easy. I just wish they would improve the guards awareness level at least, and I would be really pleased with this game overall. Anyone else share my thoughts?

Frag_Maniac
12-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Granted there are some bugs that need fixing, but what you're describing there is not one, and an unfair nit pick IMO. There's not a single instance in the entire game where you actually NEED to use your ship crew to attack land troops from the ship, and conversely there are LOTS of places where you can hire pirates on the spot if you really want or need extra muscle, just look for the blue sword icon on the map. Those scenarios are generally in towns though. Plantations are designed more toward stealth.

strigoi1958
12-16-2013, 07:51 AM
That's a nice bit of research though. :D I think it's good that when some are saying it is too easy because they constantly choose the easiest way to do everything that others explore the extreme limits of open world gaming.
As Frag said Plantations are more designed for stealth. The devs have designed this part of the game for certain scenarios and you have managed to bypass them all. TBH I like to see it when people push the boundaries but I think it would be impossible to have open world games if some areas didn't confine themselves. But maybe one day :D. Just as well though.... imagine if the soldiers came aboard and killed every crew member and then the slaves stole the jackdaw and left you stuck on the island waiting months (logging in daily with nothing to do but kill soldiers and animals on the plantation) for another ship to dock, and steal and upgrade again and get a crew......

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2013, 11:48 AM
You call it nice research, I still call it nit picking because it wasn't just matter of fact, but a rant about something that's totally unnecessary. He even labeled it as poor game design. The game also has PLENTY of ship to land combat in the form of fort takeovers, and the reward is 3 fold and very useful.

steelfaithu2
12-17-2013, 02:10 AM
You can call it whatever you want Frag.

Fact is it wouldn't hurt to improve certain aspects of the game to enhance the immersion and choices for the player to approach scenarios how they wish. When 10 Guards are literally standing outside my ship, and my crew is doing nothing to protect me while I'm being shot at, it kinda breaks the immersion. Why not allow your crew to at least shoot their weaponry at the guards from the ship at least? Anything to make the crew and the game world feel more alive is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Frag_Maniac
12-17-2013, 03:19 AM
You can call it whatever you want Frag.

Fact is it wouldn't hurt to improve certain aspects of the game to enhance the immersion and choices for the player to approach scenarios how they wish. When 10 Guards are literally standing outside my ship, and my crew is doing nothing to protect me while I'm being shot at, it kinda breaks the immersion. Why not allow your crew to at least shoot their weaponry at the guards from the ship at least? Anything to make the crew and the game world feel more alive is not a bad thing in my opinion.

You didn't say exactly what plantation you were at, but I know, as anyone else does, from having played the game, that they go out of their way to inform the player that plantations are a place you sneak into, not go balls to the wall assaulting with your ship docked right in front of a group of guards. In fact your very first plantation I seem to recall it being advised you anchor the ship out a ways and sneak in to tail a target. Did you not get that memo?

I mean, yeah, you can play it without stealth if you want, but you lose a lot of perks that way and even if you DO chose to go in with combat, it's pretty easy to take on one group of guards at a time without ship cannons or your crew following you like puppies.

You DO realize AC is mostly a stealth assassin game don't you? It would be kinda odd if in areas designed for stealth you could have an army of 40 guys with you. The only time it should get tricky without stealth is if you're not careful near a Gunner on a tower, but even those can be easily dealt with via human shielding a nearby guard or just taking cover.

I stand by what I said, it's a silly nit pick, not "poor game design", and thank God they don't listen to such silliness in designing the game. The worst AC game ever would be one designed by a guy that whines that a handful of guards are shooting at him in an obviously well guarded place with PLENTY of places to use stealth. Here's this intended to be burly assassin turning tail and running to his crew mates screaming, "Oh my God, they have guns, kill them!" That would be called something like Assassin's Creed Lacks Stag. LOL

adventurewomen
12-17-2013, 03:40 AM
There are slight frame issues I've noticed in the PC version that need to be patched soon, because it effects the overall quality of the game.

Frag_Maniac
12-17-2013, 04:30 AM
There are slight frame issues I've noticed in the PC version that need to be patched soon, because it effects the overall quality of the game.

I noticed the Jackdaw seems to move rather sluggishly for me. It's not entirely a frame rate issue though, I think there's a bit of micro stutter at sea regardless of FPS.