PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag performance

Crazybone992
12-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Ok guys I did some fps testing with Fraps to figure out the highest settings that are still playable.

First, here are my pc specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3,40 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 with 1,5 gig memory
System RAM: 8 gb DDR3
Operating System: Win 8.1

I use these settings:
Resolution 1920x1080 @60Hz
Environment Quality: high
Texture Quality: high
Anti-Aliasing: FXAA
Shadow Quality: high
Motion Blur: on
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+(low)
God Rays: low (It actually looks better on low because I get a lot of flickering shadows when it's on high)
Volumetric Fog: on
V-sync: off

I have also forced Adaptive V-sync and Triple Buffering from Nvidia Control Panel to reduce screen tearing.

With these settings, my maximum fps is 60 and lowest is 30.

Crazybone992
12-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Now the interesting part: If I put any of these settings higher than this, the lowest possible fps instantly dips below 30 and the game becomes very laggy. I thought Ubisoft said that they're optimizing Black Flag better than AC III...

Wrath2Zero
12-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Now the interesting part: If I put any of these settings higher than this, the lowest possible fps instantly dips below 30 and the game becomes very laggy. I thought Ubisoft said that they're optimizing Black Flag better than AC III...

Because they're top end video card features that are more accurate, like real life shadows work. I don't understand why people would think these features are not heavy, they're GPU heavy for a reason because of the accuracy. PCSS come at a high cost and they use very high quality filtering levels, plus they move in realtime according to the sun direction and look softer according to how far the object is from the ground. This is all computed on the GPU in realtime, no crappy pre-baking like in Batman Origins.

Frag_Maniac
12-15-2013, 12:04 AM
I don't know if it happens with Nvidia's adaptive VSync, but standard VSync will capp anything below 60 FPS to 30 in this game. I use standard VSync via the in-game settings on my 7970 and add externally forced triple buffering through Direct3DOverrder. I tried it via D3DO's VSync as well, but the game still capped anything below 60 FPS to 30. Forcing triple buffering removes that cap and allows it to run MUCH smoother.