PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Content ID question

redhed001
12-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Since it's such a hot topic now, I began wondering about the Content ID hits I normally receive on my videos. The majority of the videos I
make are playthroughs of Rocksmith songs, almost exclusively Rocksmith 2014 songs since that game's release.

They almost always get hit with the Content ID mark, but not because of the game itself, but because of the song's publisher (EMI, WMG, etc).
What would the official policy on these be? Should I dispute them? If so, under what grounds? The game being shown is Ubisoft's so they
should hold the license to the use of these songs, correct? Or, even if not that, should fall under "Fair Use" for a number of reasons, not
the least of which would be "educational" since you are learning how to play the song?

My channel is not monetized, so that's not really the issue I'm looking at, it's more that the videos, much more often than not, are copyright
tagged, and then monetized by the assumed copyright holder, which are generally the publishers of the songs, and then ads are shown on the
video anyway, even though Ubisoft, as the game copyright holder, and I, as the content creator, have no say or part in any of that.

Is the showing and playing of a Rocksmith chart considered in the same realm as a Let's Play or preview/review?

Just wondering if I could get some guidance on these questions.

thoman23
12-12-2013, 07:49 PM
I was recently thinking about how amazing it is that YouTube has basically become a universal music repository. Look at all the struggles that Spotify, Pandora, and other services go through with copyright/licensing issues, yet I can go onto YouTube and pretty much listen to any song in the universe.

I love that I can do that, but I also know that technically there's no doubt that there's some copyright violations going on. The same has to go for RS videos. Ubisoft may not care, but I'm sure that the music publisher did not sign up to have their song published on YouTube. Often, they don't even allow tabs on Ultimate Guitar, yet I can listen to the whole song and see the whole chart for free on YouTube? Obviously if this was any company smaller than Google the music industry would have crushed it into oblivion by now.

What's my point? I don't have one. And I admit I don't understand copyright issues in any real depth. I'm just saying that I love YouTube as a resource, but am amazed at what people get away with publishing there...and I hope it doesn't change.

rcole_sooner
12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
This seems more appropriate for the community tech support forum.

redhed001
12-12-2013, 07:58 PM
This seems more appropriate for the community tech support forum.

I thought so initially but when I looked at the description for Rock On it said "Share your passion for Rock and any Music related discussion. Bands, Albums, History, Trivia, Concerts, Released or Upcoming DLC, Videos."

which seemed more fitting than a technical question about the game itself.

redhed001
12-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I was recently thinking about how amazing it is that YouTube has basically become a universal music repository. Look at all the struggles that Spotify, Pandora, and other services go through with copyright/licensing issues, yet I can go onto YouTube and pretty much listen to any song in the universe.

I love that I can do that, but I also know that technically there's no doubt that there's some copyright violations going on. The same has to go for RS videos. Ubisoft may not care, but I'm sure that the music publisher did not sign up to have their song published on YouTube. Often, they don't even allow tabs on Ultimate Guitar, yet I can listen to the whole song and see the whole chart for free on YouTube? Obviously if this was any company smaller than Google the music industry would have crushed it into oblivion by now.

What's my point? I don't have one. And I admit I don't understand copyright issues in any real depth. I'm just saying that I love YouTube as a resource, but am amazed at what people get away with publishing there...and I hope it doesn't change.

I see that side of the issue, but at the same time I see literally hundreds of guitarists and guitar player sites with lesson themes, most have ads, and teach copyrighted songs. I assume they get around it somehow, probably fair use.
Also, again, with the last few days being a hot topic, I noticed a lot of people saying that they got hit on their videos for Let's Plays, including a lot for GTA games where the songs would be on the radio, or other similar things, and the content creators/Let's Players were up in arms because they were losing revenue on the channels having been hit with the Content ID.
Just seems to be a very fluid and circumstantial policy.

eevilways
12-12-2013, 09:33 PM
For my Rocksmith videos I've always disputed them for fair use under copyright laws beings it is me playing the songs rather than just uploading said songs for everyone to listen to. Nearly every video I've put up has had some sort of claim to dispute and have done so on practically every video I've done for Rocksmith 2014. Most of them was just to get it viewable on mobile devices as well and in other countries. Most recently I did upload Yasashiku Naritai and it had the audio removed completely. DIsputed that one as well and so far it now has audio as well as no more reports yet of any issues with it.

redhed001
12-12-2013, 10:59 PM
For my Rocksmith videos I've always disputed them for fair use under copyright laws beings it is me playing the songs rather than just uploading said songs for everyone to listen to. Nearly every video I've put up has had some sort of claim to dispute and have done so on practically every video I've done for Rocksmith 2014. Most of them was just to get it viewable on mobile devices as well and in other countries. Most recently I did upload Yasashiku Naritai and it had the audio removed completely. DIsputed that one as well and so far it now has audio as well as no more reports yet of any issues with it.

Pretty much same boat, although I haven't had any audios blocked <knock on wood>. It was just curious to me as I had always just taken it for granted, until I heard that some of the more popular LPers were complaining for being tagged, not just for the games they were doing, but for the music in the games. Which was a lil bit eye-opening. I realize that the music plays a much more central role in Rocksmith then, say, GTAV, but to hear people complaining because they were losing (somewhat significant) amounts of money because of music copyrighting in their videos seemed strange. Like, for example, did PewDiePie make hundreds of dollars off of the Rocksmith vids he made of the two Muse songs and then got millions of hits? Or did those get Content ID'd and he makes money off of other games that don't necessarily rely on the music themselves?

Really wasn't sure too sure about where to ask Ubisoft something like this. And, again, I'm not interested in monetizing my channel or anything like that, just more interested in the discussion and looking for other's thoughts.