PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments in AC4 (spoilers, obviously)

SixKeys
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
What were some of your favorite gameplay moments or story scenes in AC4?

Gameplay-wise, two moments stand out to me:

-The first time I arrived in Nassau, I was just wandering around and taking in my surroundings. A rainstorm started up and I just kept walking among the creaky wooden houses (reminded me of Constantinople), watching the rain pool up on the streets and the plants being whipped about by the wind. It had been a long time since I had been so visually immersed in an AC game. At that moment I knew I was going to love the game. :)

-After the tailing mission at Great Inagua, when you find out it's going to be your hiding place, I was legit surprised and giddy as a kid on Christmas. "You mean I can have my own island?! THIS island, of all places?! This gorgeous, beautiful island with its jungles and rainbow waterfalls and Mayan ruins and plantations and little wooden houses and asdfgjkl." I don't think I could have been more ecstatic if someone had given me a real island.

Favorite story scenes:

-The drunken dream sequence Edward has after the Sage's betrayal. I'm not generally into linear sequences like this, but it was unique and worked well for the story. I especially loved the part with Edward looking for the Sage among party guests during Rogers' speech and every time he thinks he's found him and stabs them, it turns out to be an innocent. Strong flashbacks to AC1's final bossfight and the opening scene where the Animus is majorly glitching.

-"Parting Glass". 'Nuff said.

killzab
12-12-2013, 03:36 PM
What were some of your favorite gameplay moments or story scenes in AC4?

Gameplay-wise, two moments stand out to me:

-The first time I arrived in Nassau, I was just wandering around and taking in my surroundings. A rainstorm started up and I just kept walking among the creaky wooden houses (reminded me of Constantinople), watching the rain pool up on the streets and the plants being whipped about by the wind. It had been a long time since I had been so visually immersed in an AC game. At that moment I knew I was going to love the game. :)

-After the tailing mission at Great Inagua, when you find out it's going to be your hiding place, I was legit surprised and giddy as a kid on Christmas. "You mean I can have my own island?! THIS island, of all places?! This gorgeous, beautiful island with its jungles and rainbow waterfalls and Mayan ruins and plantations and little wooden houses and asdfgjkl." I don't think I could have been more ecstatic if someone had given me a real island.

Favorite story scenes:

-The drunken dream sequence Edward has after the Sage's betrayal. I'm not generally into linear sequences like this, but it was unique and worked well for the story. I especially loved the part with Edward looking for the Sage among party guests during Rogers' speech and every time he thinks he's found him and stabs them, it turns out to be an innocent. Strong flashbacks to AC1's final bossfight and the opening scene where the Animus is majorly glitching.

-"Parting Glass". 'Nuff said.

On which system did you play the game ?

Because on Current-gen storms are nothing special :/ you're lucky if you got to experience the game first on a next-gen console.

The first time is always special, and even when I get a ps4 and replay the game, it won't be as awesome as if I had played it on the PS4 to begin with.

lothario-da-be
12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
I hated the spoiler part, hated it in uncharted 3 too. I get a headache from it.

TAZ427
12-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah, the first time a storm opened up on me I was thinking, damn this is good (PS4.)

As far as Favorite moments, getting the Great Inagua was probably the greatest. I purposefully stayed away from AC sites until after I played through the story sequence so as to not have anything spoiled.

Another was taking out my first Fort, doing my first Dive, killing my first Whale.

Realizing that I could use a Beserk Dart to effectively get others to take out my target for me - man that was fun.

Taking on my first Legendary - Was going for a playstation only sequence in the bottom right of the map (Hexagon Shaped Location Icon) and ran into one when my ship was only about 1/2 upgraded (After 3 sinkings I decided to go around.) Taking on my second Legendary at about 3/4 built out - I figured the one in the upper left of the map in the 'green' area would be one of the easiest to kill right? Wrong!

Doing my first Naval Contract (5 bar difficulty) at maybe 1/3 into the upgrades. I didn't realize this was supposed to be a difficult one as the full bars didn't register. Managed to pull it off though.

A lot of favorite moments.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 04:31 PM
First time a storm opened up I was in a plantation sneaking about. Damn was it breathtaking. And the music too changes. I don't think I've seen more realistic rain in any other games. The way the foliage rustles, the ripples the raindrops causes, the reflections etc. I saw it in that next-gen preview video, but you have to see it yourself to experience it.

The first time I stepped into Havana, the first time I saw it during the night time, and that ambient music starts playing, I felt as if I was in a limbo between Constantinople and Florence.

The Castillo infiltration mission was 5/5 material. A little boring having to tail people around but liked it that the mission followed a structure, follow soldiers to know the captain, follow captain the get the key and break in. Thats also the first time I saw how much the level design has changed. It was simply a joy to compute the many possible paths to the fort locker. Little things like, blowing up that gunpowder barrel attracts guards away from their posts giving you easy access.

First time seeing Turul and I felt I was in Masayf, seeing hooded assassins walking around me.

That secret Mayan tomb-thing underground and seeing the Sage's face.

Story bits:

That linear dream sequence obviously. Loved how in the background Rogers was explaining the fable regarding Jackdaw and the eagle, seemed so appropriate. Also loved how you suddenly appear on a ship headed for a storm and Caroline is on your side screaming at you to change course.

Loved the prison sequence (seems like every AC games have one of those nowadays) Loved how Mary and Bonny stumps the judge by declaring they're preggies. And hated it when Mary died. Loved meeting Vane and Rakham again however.

When Bonny says: Rakham, Thatch, Mary.. they are all gone aren't they? That sentence hit me hard in the guts.

And the last song.. I cannot say how feel-ridden I was when it starts playing

Having Edward sail during the credits brought back the AC 2-credit fight memories. This game does indeed remind me a lot of other games, little moments like these.

Shahkulu101
12-12-2013, 04:51 PM
When I got spoiled about Blackbeard's death, (YouTube) Hornigold's, (IGN review - idiots) and Mary Read's (Here - completely my own fault) I thought I wouldn't feel anything, I was ******* furious. But it did hit me when they came, Blackbeards death was depressing - the old guy just wanted to retire. :( I relished in killing that di*k Hornigold and Mary Read's was just tragic, but I must admit I wasn't expecting it before I got spoiled as opposed to Blackbeard and Hornigold and was disappointed with myself - it would have been so much more impact full. But when parted glass started playing, I was not in want of 'feels' but instead had to put everything into holding back the man tears - my favourite ending, my favourite moment. The best story in the best AC, a game leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessors.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Assassins Feel IV

IWGCJoeCool
12-13-2013, 03:12 AM
the first time i drank 5 rum & rums, then woke up in a hay pile the next morning

the first time i watched tower snipers get berserked and was watching bodies fall.

LoyalACFan
12-13-2013, 05:11 AM

I had a very similar experience in Kingston that stands out as probably my favorite ambient moment in all of AC. I was climbing up onto that big windmill to access the viewpoint, right at sundown, as a rainstorm was forming. Then came the part at about 00:40 in this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPIRx6oGGdE

and the rain started to fall. This was as soon as I got back to normal gameplay after Mary Read died and I found out about the fate of Vane, Rackham, and Bonnet, so it was particularly moving in a sort of "what have I got left" kind of way.

DarktheMagister
12-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Until about 10 days ago my TV was an old standard def....so just playing around in the world in HD is a whole new experience to me.

I'm going to go back and replay the entire series over the next month or so just to get the new HD feel of it all. I imagine it'll all be a lot more breath-taking than the first time.

Favorite story scene so far had to have been the ending song. So touching.

And the humor. So much good humor in this game.

DarktheMagister
12-13-2013, 09:20 AM
ALSO the death speeches. I've ALWAYS loved the death speeches.

El Tiburon's was especially good...and Torres's "You wear your convictions well... they suit you."

I liked that it was sort of approving of Edward in the end.

Not to mention LASER TEMPLE. That was pretty sweet.

DinoSteve1
12-13-2013, 09:28 AM
The Epilogue, for someone (me) who has the emotional range of a tea spoon, I even find it touching.

pirate1802
12-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah, laser temple was awesome. Burgess, Cockram and Hornigold's death speeches especially touched me. And ofcourse Torres. El Tiburon's was good but felt slightly weird.