PDA

View Full Version : So about that map..... and more(spoilers maybe)

Thirsty_panda
12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
You know, there was this map that we spent a whole game working towards that was supposedly going to help Abstergo locate all of these pieces of eden and so on. The last time that was even referenced in game was back in AC II. I mean, I'll give the writers enough credit; they effectively covered their asses here. They have been so ambiguous about the whole thing that it would be believable that the map was just useless, but seriously; what type of storytelling are we being subjected to here for the writers to get away with this and not ever mention it again. Then we have this Observatory angle that there running with now, which is cool in concept, I can give them that, but almost seems like its a cop out on the whole Eye Abstergo story arc. I understand that the world of AC is so convoluted now that in reality there's room for both, but it almost seems as though the writers are trying to sever ties with the originally described pieces of eden somewhat. Washington's apple was reserved for DLC and it was a what if scenario at that, and while I guess that the crystal skull counts, its a pretty tame POE all things considered. Have the writers perhaps become afraid of fantasy elements that they add? To me it had seemed as though the apple's hocus pokus was getting toned down bit by bit as it was.

SixKeys
12-12-2013, 02:56 PM
If anything, I think the Apple has been getting more powerful in each game. In AC1, it was just a device that creates powerful illusions. In ACB, Ezio actually used it to make guards' heads explode. In ToKW it somehow made Washington and Connor share the same dream which was possibly-but-not-really an alternate future that could somehow become reality if they were to hold on to the Apple, which never made sense. The Apple was kind of becoming the series' sonic screwdriver, used as an easy way for the writers to make anything happen that they wanted to, even if it went beyond the device's original intended limits.

I'm glad they switched things up a bit by not having the Apple as the central PoE in AC4. Not all PoEs are equally powerful. They're just artifacts. It's like if some of our technology landed in caveman times and they found both a working iPad and a USB stick. Two technologically advanced things with very different purposes and limitations. The Apple is powerful against humans since we're so susceptible to its illusions. In contrast the Crystal Skulls may seem tame as they "only" let us view events through another person's eyes. There are many other PoEs that don't really do all that much, all things considered. Rodrigo's Staff in AC2 was useless without the Apple, the key used by Desmond in AC3 was only good for opening a door and the Shroud of Turin can bring people back from the brink of death but only under very specific circumstances.

TAZ427
12-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I believe you've fallen under the delusion that the First Civilization only left the Apple as the only PoE. While it was a major item and story line, it doesn't mean there weren't other PoE's. Personally I'm glad they switched it up in this one.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-12-2013, 07:32 PM
If anything, I think the Apple has been getting more powerful in each game. In AC1, it was just a device that creates powerful illusions. In ACB, Ezio actually used it to make guards' heads explode. In ToKW it somehow made Washington and Connor share the same dream which was possibly-but-not-really an alternate future that could somehow become reality if they were to hold on to the Apple, which never made sense. The Apple was kind of becoming the series' sonic screwdriver, used as an easy way for the writers to make anything happen that they wanted to, even if it went beyond the device's original intended limits.

I'm glad they switched things up a bit by not having the Apple as the central PoE in AC4. Not all PoEs are equally powerful. They're just artifacts. It's like if some of our technology landed in caveman times and they found both a working iPad and a USB stick. Two technologically advanced things with very different purposes and limitations. The Apple is powerful against humans since we're so susceptible to its illusions. In contrast the Crystal Skulls may seem tame as they "only" let us view events through another person's eyes. There are many other PoEs that don't really do all that much, all things considered. Rodrigo's Staff in AC2 was useless without the Apple, the key used by Desmond in AC3 was only good for opening a door and the Shroud of Turin can bring people back from the brink of death but only under very specific circumstances.

That's because there is more than one apple.
Altair and Ezios apple werent the same apple.
If your remember - Ezio got rid of his apple in ACB and finds altairs apple in ACR

NeoMorph WTH
12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Isn't the Apple scavenger hunt arc ended with Desmond saving the world (by releasing Juno) and now it's a Juno hunt instead? The target is the precursor who wanted to rule the Earth.

Thirsty_panda
12-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Isn't the Apple scavenger hunt arc ended with Desmond saving the world (by releasing Juno) and now it's a Juno hunt instead? The target is the precursor who wanted to rule the Earth.

This series has just become riddled with clarity issues. The satellite launch was intended to go off despite the world ending, so maybe Eye Abstergo was a post apocalyptic and nothing more. They don't tell us though.

Wish I knew how to Multi Quote

Studpants, you got your history mixed up. Altair took his apple to Cyprus, Rodrigo retrieved this apple, Ezio and Templars fought over it before ultimately hiding it away in Rome. This created a plot hole with this supposed Denver incident until Altair was revealed to have found another apple that he kept in Masayf.

Moving on, SixKeys, it just seems that the stories have no direction anymore. There looking for a key or there looking for a skull; outside of their respective stories these artifacts don't mean much By the way, the staff totally did do stuff without the apple. Invisibility for one thing.

I can't help but notice that none of at least the first four replies has even addressed the whole map issue. I know there are a lot of mediums for AC these days. Have things been clarified in any of those mediums? Was my accusation correct? Someone let me know one way or another.