PDA

View Full Version : Elite plan upgrades

Radia900
12-12-2013, 04:30 AM
I just want to get an opinion about what Elite plan upgrades are the best to choose first.
Since I'm more defense-minded. I'm leaning towards getting the Elite Hull upgrade first. Then probably Elite roundshot
Unless anybody else has a better suggestion?
also when do the Elite plan upgrades become available? I heard only after completing sequence 6

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 04:51 AM
I would definitely recommend Hull first and then Cannons (maybe that's called Roundshot—I've not played for a week so don't remember the lingo without immersion). And yes, upgrades become available sometime in 5 or 6 (again, can't remember exactly—that was awhile ago for me). The most important thing is when you get buried treasure maps, go get the treasures as many of the upgrade plans are in buried treasure. I sat on my treasure maps like a dummy until I figured out I needed to get busy finding them about Sequence 8 or 9! LOL

Kagurra
12-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Hull, Ram, Cannons. Then Roundshot, Heavy shot, and Swivels. Throw Mortars in there wherever you like after Cannons.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 06:48 AM
I sat on my treasure maps like a dummy until I figured out I needed to get busy finding them about Sequence 8 or 9! LOL

Thats exactly what I did. Btw, anyone noticed the undiscovered treasure maps carry over to your next game. I had many unfound ones with me, and I created a new game and from the start Edward has those maps. And are the location of upgrade plans the same always? Because I remember splitting my hair finding where the elite hull upgrade plan was (turns out it was in a wreck I had already visited) So if they remain constant this time I'd visit the place first.

D.I.D.
12-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Hull, Ram, Cannons. Then Roundshot, Heavy shot, and Swivels. Throw Mortars in there wherever you like after Cannons.

Really? I'd say ram is the one you need least (except perhaps fire barrels). The only way to use it is to put yourself in harm's way, and getting second, third, etc hits in is a very slow process. I think it's more important to go for the things you use/rely on most (hull and aimed guns).

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 06:52 AM
I went for round shots and mortars first things first. Then ram (cuz I like ramming ships, and love the look of a golden ram at the tip of my ship. :p)

Kagurra
12-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Really? I'd say ram is the one you need least (except perhaps fire barrels). The only way to use it is to put yourself in harm's way, and getting second, third, etc hits in is a very slow process. I think it's more important to go for the things you use/rely on most (hull and aimed guns).

Ram is amazing, even before you get the charge ability. You go towards a ship while chain shotting it, ram it, then heavy shot followed by swivels and round shot if necessary and the ship is dead. Fire barrels are good for after you ram and you're behind the enemy ship to drop on them at an angle, but yeah, they're the least important I'd say. I was in your exact mindset until I started ramming thing myself. Vanguard charge all powerful. (Literally once you get the ram aswell.)

Radia900
12-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Yea, I like fighting at distances, so I don't use Ram much...I know what you mean about sitting on the treasure maps...Early on I sold some things like animal pelts, thinking they wouldn't be too useful. Then towards the middle of the game, they are useful...I like rope darts the best, When do they become available

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Rope darts come way late—almost near the end. :(

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Yeah, that was one wasted weapon if there ever was one. Almost never used it, outside that fullsync requirement.

NeoMorph WTH
12-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I found the ram was lame until... SPOILER ALERT

... I got the elite plans and then on top of that I got the Charge Attack for killing the four Legendary ships. Then the ram is freakin awesome. One hit on a frigate and it is ready for boarding.

Oh and the locations of the Elite plans threw me... SPOILERS INCOMING...

... as I thought that they were all on treasure maps so I was looking everywhere for the maps. Some you get the location from by getting into a bar fight and then bribing the barman for info. You get three maps via the Kenway's Fleet mini game but none of those hold Elite plans. So that threw me.... Then I accidentally moved my arrow icon over a diving bell icon and is said "Upgrade plan here" or something like. So yeah, there are upgrade plans on the sea bed and for that you need to progress through the missions until you can buy a diving bell.

TAZ427
12-12-2013, 10:54 PM
I think it really plays into how one plays in the order. I'd say the most important thing to upgrade though is the Hull. Then work on whichever offense you prefer. Motars though are not terribly effective against ships until they're Full/Elite but very necessary against forts. Heavy Shot is great if you like close up ship combat, Round shot if you like to play it at a distance, Ram if you like to run into crap all a good, but Broadside is probably 2nd most important to Hull in that both Round Shot and Heavy Shot is going to be multiplied by the number of cannons you have in terms of how much damage you can do.

Once you're at a point that you start getting elite upgrades ready for your ship, you can already easily take on standard Man of War's and still would be wiped up by a Legendary.

I'll agree that fire barrels are probably the most worthless items there. I never use them in real combat except for when I needed to to get 100% Sync.

pacmanate
12-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Heavy Shot first. That thing does the most damage, then get Elite swivels, cause they are rapey.

poptartz20
12-13-2013, 03:54 PM

whaaa.... well it does make sense considering I just finished up sequence 9 and still no Frikkin rope darts. :/

And.. yeah Treasure maps. I still haven't found one treasure to date. (how are they actually marked is there and x? or does and interact action pop up) I tried once and couldn't find it and went on to my main mission. haha.

pirate1802
12-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Heavy Shot first. That thing does the most damage, then get Elite swivels, cause they are rapey.

Yeah, gotta love them automatic swivel guns lol. I'm playing a new game now and the older swivel guns look like ancient after I got used to the fast ones.

Poptartz, there isn't anything. You just walk over them and if its the right location it'd ask you to dig. Thats the thing I love about these treasures.. they reward the exploratory player, because if you've explored enough the landmarks drawn on the maps would seem instantly familiar. Like some of them I saw in one look and though aha! I know this place! While others I have no clue to this day lol.

I discovered a couple of treasured by accident though lol. I think they were in smuggler dens. I was just walking about when the interact prompt showed up haha

Farlander1991
12-13-2013, 04:18 PM
I've noticed the ground is a little different on the spots where the treasure is (I guess because, well, it got digged and then buried), so that's a helpful indicator if you have found the general spot of the X but don't exactly see where the treasure is.

pirate1802
12-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Also anyone noticed, the "unfound" treasure maps carry over to the next game you start.