PDA

View Full Version : U Mad Bro? Forum Address

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 09:03 PM
I am making this wonderful post because I am sick of the disrespect given to the members of this forum both new and old.

1. Stop laughing at people having trouble with a mission or anything else. Offer help instead of LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL to make yourself feel bigger than they are. Because trust me, YOU ARENT.

2. Don't criticize PEOPLE for their ideas. Instead critique their ideas. Just because someone wants to see a change in level design or gameplay mechanics doesn't take away their skill as a player. It just means they aren't satisfied with their experience and are sharing what they think the problem is and how it couldbe fixed.

3. Who cares if others care about leaderboards? That's ALL old school gamers care about. Let them complain that it's broken. Let them care! It doesn't effect you!

4. Let others have their opinion. I'm sick of having to defend my opinion because EVERYONE thinks it's wrong. The beautiful thing about an opinion is that there is ALWAYS some truth in it! Instead take a step back and say yeah you're right..it could've used a little help in this area, but here's why I think it's taking a step in the right direction or why it shouldn't be a main concern...
There is always a grey area.
There is always room for 2 ideas to come together!
Open your mind a bit - step outside of your ego.

That is all. ;)

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
:confused:

From what I've been reading, it's more like you can't handle other's opinions of your pretentious ''opinions.

I'm not disagreeing with some of these. It's just you have a funny way of sharing your ''opinions.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 09:19 PM
The only thing that bother me is the constant "whine whine this isn't what I wanted" topics followed by the angry "your so wrong" posts.

Which is why I think a nice dedicated "Hate" topic and a dedicated "Praise" topic would be a good idea. Just someplace for users to rant/praise without the constant opposition.

Shahkulu101
12-11-2013, 09:20 PM
I will not die today, the same cannot be said for you.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 09:22 PM
:confused:

From what I've been reading, it's more like you can't handle other's opinions of your pretentious ''opinions.

I'm not disagreeing with some of these. It's just you have a funny way of sharing your ''opinions.

Really? I can't handle other peoples opinions?
Trying to explain myself when people tell me im wrong isnt not handling opinions..its an attempt to enlighten.
Thats All I do.
I've never told anyone their opinion is wrong. I don't have a chance because im constantly having to defend mine.
I will highlight points i agree with and disagree but will never make it about the person - only the game.
When people attempt to argue with me its about me as a player and I'm tired of it. ;)

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 09:23 PM
The only thing that bother me is the constant "whine whine this isn't what I wanted" topics followed by the angry "your so wrong" posts.

Which is why I think a nice dedicated "Hate" topic and a dedicated "Praise" topic would be a good idea. Just someplace for users to rant/praise without the constant opposition.

I dont mind rants. Venting is a good thing and they make for better products.
What is a great product without bad reviews?
Never improving - thats what it is.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Could you guys imagine the power we could have as a comunity?
I mean we are DIRECTLY linked to Ubisoft.
Imagine if we all came together with the good and the bads and found a grey area everyone would be happy with?
Assassins creed could be OUR product!

MIA SILENT
12-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Could you guys imagine the power we could have as a comunity?
I mean we are DIRECTLY linked to Ubisoft.
Imagine if we all came together with the good and the bads and found a grey area everyone would be happy with?
Assassins creed could be OUR product!

Wow. Such cringe. I'm finally putting you on my ignore list.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow. Such cringe. I'm finally putting you on my ignore list.

Please don't hurt my feelings....

Sushiglutton
12-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Your first point I agree completely with, sadly this is standard online culture. If someone say they have trouble with a certain aspect of the game others will line up to tell them "how they did it in the fist try", "how casuals like him is destroying gaming", "how he sucks and should stop gaming" and so on. It's a stupid style that hampers good discussion. Either offer some good points/other perspectives in a humble style, or just ignore the thread.

Second point I also agree with. There is never any reason to make it personal. Just today I saw someone getting ridiculed for coming up with too many ideas. Wtf?

Point three, yeah pretty much. Allthough I think it's pretty funny how seriously people take this kind of stuff.

Four, it's a bit complicated. This is a discussion board. So if you put your opinion on here it's fine if people disagree with you and give counter arguments. And every time you post said opinion this might happen. Don't think that is a problem. It's not always the case that you encompass the other guy's ideas just by open your mind to them. Sometimes you just disagree.

pacmanate
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Reported for Spam.

Shahkulu101
12-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Reported for Spam.

Lolwut

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Four, it's a bit complicated. This is a discussion board. So if you put your opinion on here it's fine if people disagree with you and give counter arguments. And every time you post said opinion this might happen. Don't think that is a problem. It's not always the case that you encompass the other guy's ideas just by open your mind to them. Sometimes you just disagree.

I work in business so I have a customer is always right mindset and I try to use this in all aspects of life.
I believe counter arguments have no place in a discussion on opinions.
They belong in debates and studies. Nothing more.
Someone airing their opinion isnt an invitation to debate, though so many like to believe it is.
I try to look through their eyes, becaues we all perceive things differently and maybe JUST MAYBE your eyes missed something that theirs didn't.
It's fine to disagree with an opinion , but not to try and prove an opinion wrong - just find a middle that yeah it wasnt perfect but it also wasnt THAT bad either.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Reported for Spam.

Report and move on, no need to be pretentious.
Though I'm sure it makes you feel good...

Sushiglutton
12-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I work in business so I have a customer is always right mindset and I try to use this in all aspects of life.
I believe counter arguments have no place in a discussion on opinions.
They belong in debates and studies. Nothing more.
Someone airing their opinion isnt an invitation to debate, though so many like to believe it is.
I try to look through their eyes, becaues we all perceive things differently and maybe JUST MAYBE your eyes missed something that theirs didn't.
It's fine to disagree with an opinion , but not to try and prove an opinion wrong - just find a middle that yeah it wasnt perfect but it also wasnt THAT bad either.

I agree that not everyone airing their opinion wants it to be questioned. But when you post on a public discussion board that is something you kind of have to be prepared for. And discussion is a good thing imo. People do change their opinions in the light of new arguments. If nothing else it helps clarifying their position. It's not about "proving an opinion wrong" as that is impossible. It's about giving the arguments while you feel the opposite and then everyone can decide for themselves.

pacmanate
12-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Report and move on, no need to be pretentious.
Though I'm sure it makes you feel good...

I was joking...

LoyalACFan
12-11-2013, 10:40 PM
1. Stop laughing at people having trouble with a mission or anything else. Offer help instead of LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL to make yourself feel bigger than they are. Because trust me, YOU ARENT.

I actually agree with you here. The thing is, though, there are two types of threads people make when they get stuck; Type 1 being "help, I can't pass this level, anyone have tips" and Type 2 being "waaaaahhh this game sucks and the mission is unfair!" From my experience, seasoned players are usually MUCH more helpful when they respond to the Type 1 threads, but if you make a thread blindly bashing a game for being "impossible to beat" among a crowd of franchise veterans, you're essentially making flamebait. I'm not saying that forum users should TAKE the bait, but that people should be civil in asking for help and respectful of the fact that most people here are huge fans.

2. Don't criticize PEOPLE for their ideas. Instead critique their ideas. Just because someone wants to see a change in level design or gameplay mechanics doesn't take away their skill as a player. It just means they aren't satisfied with their experience and are sharing what they think the problem is and how it couldbe fixed.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and whining. The former is typically respected here, while the latter is not.

3. Who cares if others care about leaderboards? That's ALL old school gamers care about. Let them complain that it's broken. Let them care! It doesn't effect you!

That's a different issue. A feature that's legitimately and unquestionably broken. There's no constructive criticism to be made other than "fix it."

4. Let others have their opinion. I'm sick of having to defend my opinion because EVERYONE thinks it's wrong. Instead take a step back and say yeah you're right..it could've used a little help in this area, but here's why I think it's taking a step in the right direction or why it shouldn't be a main concern...

... That's how conversation works. If EVERYONE thinks you're wrong, perhaps you are. I know what you're getting at, but you're coming across as very pretentious and entitled. Everyone here is just as much a fan as you, and your opinion doesn't get to override everyone else's just because it's yours.

The beautiful thing about an opinion is that there is ALWAYS some truth in it!

False.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 10:49 PM
... That's how conversation works. If EVERYONE thinks you're wrong, perhaps you are. I know what you're getting at, but you're coming across as very pretentious and entitled. Everyone here is just as much a fan as you, and your opinion doesn't get to override everyone else's just because it's yours.

False.

There is less conversation about the idea and points brought forward and more conversation about how the person is wrong.
People are constantly bashed for having a negative view towards a change instead of listened to and understood.

Landruner
12-12-2013, 12:01 AM
I think that most of the time people don't read what had been previously posted and they come into the conversation in using the last post (or part of it) that is mostly out of the context - I do not how many time I got flamed or considered as a hater just based upon some latest posts, which was not reflecting the beginning or orientation of the conversation.

For the OP STDlyMcStudpants I did flame you once a few days ago regarding a thread you posted about the graphics and asking the loading screens back, which was not really making sense and it did surprise me a lot especially from you.

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 12:24 AM
I actually agree with you here. The thing is, though, there are two types of threads people make when they get stuck; Type 1 being "help, I can't pass this level, anyone have tips" and Type 2 being "waaaaahhh this game sucks and the mission is unfair!" From my experience, seasoned players are usually MUCH more helpful when they respond to the Type 1 threads, but if you make a thread blindly bashing a game for being "impossible to beat" among a crowd of franchise veterans, you're essentially making flamebait. I'm not saying that forum users should TAKE the bait, but that people should be civil in asking for help and respectful of the fact that most people here are huge fans.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and whining. The former is typically respected here, while the latter is not.

That's a different issue. A feature that's legitimately and unquestionably broken. There's no constructive criticism to be made other than "fix it."

False.

+1 All of the above

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 04:17 AM
I too have worked in my share of business....and sometimes.... the problem with the "Customer is Always Right" mentality is that the customer is an uneducated idiot who thinks they know more about what they are dealing with than the people who sell those products for a living.

So I am worried as to how you've managed to fit that particular motto into your entire lifestyle.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 04:26 AM
+1 All of the above

Pretty much what I tried to say earlier.

And even more reason why I feel we need a dedicated "HATE" thread. That way people can go there and rant without flooding the rest of us out and causing useless flame battles.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2013, 04:31 AM

And even more reason why I feel we need a dedicated "HATE" thread. That way people can go there and rant without flooding the rest of us out and causing useless flame battles.

That's basically what the official feedback thread is for, I think. Not really for discussion, but basically reporting to Ubi what worked and what didn't.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 04:39 AM
That's basically what the official feedback thread is for, I think. Not really for discussion, but basically reporting to Ubi what worked and what didn't.

Naw not even a thread with a purpose of constructive criticism. Just a thread for users to straight up HATE on it. "This was stupid...", "I hated this character...", "I feel like I should get my money back..", "Ubisoft is a waste of human life..", "This game is utter crap...", etc.

You know... just straight up ranting.... without anyone saying otherwise.

It'll allow those who have been offended by Ubisoft to get it off their chests without the need to deal with people calling them out for it. Overall I think it'll help clear the forum of the whinier useless rant threads that crop up like weeds.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Also... I often think we have too many sticky threads. Although... I guess the promotional ones are to be expected since this is the official forums.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Naw not even a thread with a purpose of constructive criticism. Just a thread for users to straight up HATE on it. "This was stupid...", "I hated this character...", "I feel like I should get my money back..", "Ubisoft is a waste of human life..", "This game is utter crap...", etc.

It'll allow those who have been offended by Ubisoft to get it off their chests without the need to deal with people calling them out for it. Overall I think it'll help clear the forum of the whinier useless rant threads that crop up like weeds.

I doubt people would actually post in it though, lol. Usually the ones who do nothing but rage and bash are new members who make redundant threads anyway.

Also... I often think we have too many sticky threads.

True. And nobody ever pays attention to them :p

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 04:44 AM

Agreed. You said that on my thread from a week or two ago where I was simply thanking Ubisoft for the AC series and my expression of gratitude invited a bunch of people feeing the need to essentially say that anyone who is happy with the AC series and Ubisoft is wrong. ;)

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 04:45 AM
I doubt people would actually post in it though, lol. Usually the ones who do nothing but rage and bash are new members who make redundant threads anyway.

Totally. When there are so many I know my brain just doesn't see them and scans down to see posts that I haven't read.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2013, 04:46 AM
There is less conversation about the idea and points brought forward and more conversation about how the person is wrong.
People are constantly bashed for having a negative view towards a change instead of listened to and understood.

If a person thinks your idea is wrong, then by definition, they think YOU are wrong. It's not like there's some conspiracy against you as a person, they just think your idea sucks. I just looked back through your other thread, and the only thing you were "bashed" for was making so many topics complaining about similar things.

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 04:47 AM

Absolutely. Ranting is way different than reporting legitimate feedback/constructive criticism.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 04:47 AM

True... but there are some dedicated haters with some things to say among the regulars.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 04:51 AM
I've started to subconsciously cringe every time I see a post that starts with "They should get rid of the modern day...", mostly because I know the next few words will be some version of "because I don't like it *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*" and because there have been SO MANY of those since I've been posting here... and that hasn't been that long.

Problem is, Loyal's probably right. Even with a thread...new users would still post their own versions.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2013, 05:00 AM
I've started to subconsciously cringe every time I see a post that starts with "They should get rid of the modern day...", mostly because I know the next few words will be some version of "because I don't like it *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*" and because there have been SO MANY of those since I've been posting here... and that hasn't been that long.

... I kind of agree with those people though :p Modern-day missions limit what stories they can tell in the historical part, and it means that we'll constantly be chasing some new First-Civ MacGuffin. It was okay when it was just the Apple, but about the time ACR came around it started getting a little tiresome. First it was the Apple's POE map in AC1, then it was the Vatican Vault in AC2, then it was the Colosseum vault in ACB... then the Grand Temple/Memory Seals in ACR... then the Temple Key in AC3... then it was the Observatory in AC4. IMO the AC4 story would've been a lot better without the Sage/Observatory stuff. But it's all subjective. I would have been more accepting of the modern day if we had just been researching Edward's life for an entertainment product, with the hacking and stuff on the side to retrieve info for Shaun and Rebecca, instead of having the ulterior motive of finding the Observatory for the Abstergo inner circle.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 05:05 AM
... I kind of agree with those people though :p Modern-day missions limit what stories they can tell in the historical part, and it means that we'll constantly be chasing some new First-Civ MacGuffin. It was okay when it was just the Apple, but about the time ACR came around it started getting a little tiresome. First it was the Apple's POE map in AC1, then it was the Vatican Vault in AC2, then it was the Colosseum vault in ACB... then the Grand Temple/Memory Seals in ACR... then the Temple Key in AC3... then it was the Observatory in AC4. IMO the AC4 story would've been a lot better without the Sage/Observatory stuff. But it's all subjective. I would have been more accepting of the modern day if we had just been researching Edward's life for an entertainment product, with the hacking and stuff on the side to retrieve info for Shaun and Rebecca, instead of having the ulterior motive of finding the Observatory for the Abstergo inner circle.

This is a viewpoint I realize some long timers have here that I just can't jive with. I LOOOOOOOVE the conspiracy stuff. It's my bread and butter.

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 05:08 AM
This is a viewpoint I realize some long timers have here that I just can't jive with. I LOOOOOOOVE the conspiracy stuff. It's my bread and butter.

This. I just can't imagine that the series and the storyline would be near as entertaining without it. It's an AC signature that other popular franchises don't have.

LoyalACFan
12-12-2013, 05:12 AM

The conspiracy stuff doesn't have to be removed. The historical protagonist could still be involved with hunting Templar targets who are secretly pulling the strings. The only difference is that a large part of the story wouldn't have to be taken up by searching for a literal "thing" in the past for Abstergo to find and use in the present.

Even if they keep the modern missions, Abstergo Entertainment is a perfect excuse for them to focus on ancestors who are interesting, but not necessarily directly linked to some POE thing that they're hunting for in 2013. I know Darby recently said Abstergo Entertainment won't feature in the next game though, which kinda bums me out.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Erm.. I haven't actually seen anyone who is genuinely asking for help being ridiculed. Most of those fellows come here are like "I cant get past it! This game sux! total garbage I want my money back ubisoft!!!!!!" Those people get ridiculed.

I believe counter arguments have no place in a discussion on opinions..

Ofcourse it does. And contrary to popular perception, opinions CAN be wrong. Say I have the "opinion" that the moon is made up of cheese and I wholeheartedly believe it and post it on a discussion board. Would I not expect to be countered? We aren't customer service people, arguments and counter arguments are virtually why these discussion boards exist in the first place. If you don't want your ideas dissected, don't post them on the internet, plain and simple.

Btw, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, as opposed to ranting, are quite respected here. You only need to look at threads by Sushi, Shobhit, Farlander and some others to see that. Because guess what? They actually give the devs some ideas on how to improve their product instead of angrily venting that they didn't get what they wanted. Its easy to rant, its much harder to sit down and think on how to actually improve the games.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 05:20 AM
The conspiracy stuff doesn't have to be removed. The historical protagonist could still be involved with hunting Templar targets who are secretly pulling the strings. The only difference is that a large part of the story wouldn't have to be taken up by searching for a literal "thing" in the past for Abstergo to find and use in the present.

Even if they keep the modern missions, Abstergo Entertainment is a perfect excuse for them to focus on ancestors who are interesting, but not necessarily directly linked to some POE thing that they're hunting for in 2013. I know Darby recently said Abstergo Entertainment won't feature in the next game though, which kinda bums me out.

Yeah but isn't the Entertainment branch just a cover anyway for their Animus program? Its apparent that they still answer to Laetitia.

Although I did read Darby's post about A.E. not being in the next title. Which makes me wonder if they're going to shift the focus to another aspect of the Modern Day Templars (ctOS maybe? Watchdogs link?)... or maybe it'll be centered around a small Assassins circle again... like in 2.

But I see what you mean. You're just tired of it being about another Piece of Eden or Precursor site every time. I can understand that. But since the whole point of the Templar Order is to regain the control and power of the ancients and use it to their own devices....I don't know how they'd shift the focus. Although... I don't think I'd mind if they had a game that didn't revolve around one of the Pieces of Eden.