PDA

View Full Version : The present day in ACIV

cezarelu2013
12-11-2013, 03:12 PM
What do you guys think about the present day in AC IV?

I think it's an awesome thing what they did with it, i'm curious to see how the new character evolves and maybe get some interaction in any SciFI sort of way with the departed Desmond.
Also the mini games, while they pose no real challenge, they're a cute addition.

Cheers!

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Yes its awesome. And more awesome because it doesn't forces itself on those not too big on the modern day segments (like myself.) After the AC3 disaster, they probably have learned their lesson and keeping the modern day part easy and manageable. They don't want to build up heavily and drop the ball again 5 years down the line. So yes, light and mostly optional is just how I'd like future modern day parts to be. Meeting the Sage guy in present times was creepy but wasn't happy that he died so easily. Would have preferred to have him saved for the future.

SixKeys
12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Meeting the Sage guy in present times was creepy but wasn't happy that he died so easily. Would have preferred to have him saved for the future.

Yeah, it actually would have been the perfect cliffhanger if you met him but then he escapes, leaving open the possibility of meeting him in the next game.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I actually thought thats what they were going to do and he was going to be an important cog in freeing/defeating Juno. Because what is the point of introducing an important character, one who seems to have HUGE ramifications (being a TWCB guy I think? (didn't read all the letters)) only to kill him straight after? Here's hoping he actually isn't dead, merely wounded. They were checking his signs afterall. :p

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
TBH I hated it...
I wanted to be saved like desomond.
What was the point of Shawn and Rebecca being at Abstergo Industries if all they did was argue?
They did absolutely nothing for the story.
In fact NOTHING did other than you see juno and pedofile janitor guy gets jealous.
No cliff hanger, no ocnclusion.
Just an "Oops sorry we blamed you continue hacking and what not"
It felt like they threw it in just to say its an AC game since you know Edward is a pirate - not an assassin
I just wanted a cliff hanger...why none?!!!

dxsxhxcx
12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
I hated it because between be told what could be an awesome story of someone else (if proper effort was put into this) and be a flying tablet without personality that just play along with the events as they unfold, I certainly prefer the former...

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I read an article earlier that made an interesting "what if" article that the faceless analyst could actually be the Watch Dogs protagonist.

I'd be amused if they were parallel properties existing in the same universe.

SixKeys
12-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I read an article earlier that made an interesting "what if" article that the faceless analyst could actually be the Watch Dogs protagonist.

I'd be amused if they were parallel properties existing in the same universe.

I doubt that is the case, but if it was, that would suck. I was already annoyed after being told over and over by the devs that the protagonist is *me*, yet at the end when the Sage injects you with the needle the Abstergo employees refer to me as "he" and I hear "my" voice" that sounds suspiciously like a man's. And here I was finally hoping for some inclusiveness where the main hero could be female with no immersion-breaking slip-ups.

Shahkulu101
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
I doubt that is the case, but if it was, that would suck. I was already annoyed after being told over and over by the devs that the protagonist is *me*, yet at the end when the Sage injects you with the needle the Abstergo employees refer to me as "he" and I hear "my" voice" that sounds suspiciously like a man's. And here I was finally hoping for some inclusiveness where the main hero could be female with no immersion-breaking slip-ups.

Yeah, I have no idea how they could miss things like that when the character is supposed to be 'you'. Unless they just hoped we wouldn't notice, or they are eventually going to reveal 'you' as a he later on - which would be monumentaly silly.

Sushiglutton
12-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I think they need to decide to either stick with the modern day and invest in it, or let it go. At the moment it's in a limbo because Ubi is too scared to piss people off. They don't dare to flesh it out and make it meaningful because then a bunch of reviewers and fans (like me :) ) will rage about how they are forced to do stuff they don't want to do. On the other hand they are afraid the core fanbase will be mad if they cut it.

Imo the creators need to figure out what they want to do. People will whine no matter what and this is certainly true for the current state as well. You need to listen to feedback to some extent, but peoples opinions are not nearly as absolute as they may appear. If they have a clear vision of a really cool modern story arc (including interesting gameplay), then go with it. If it's good modern-day-complainers like myself will accept it and likely enjoy it. If they don't have such a vision, or the energy to to pursue it, then it's time to just let it go.