PDA

View Full Version : ACIV: Feedback

thecynder78
12-11-2013, 02:33 PM
This is an open letter to those at Ubisoft.

Your Assassin's Creed franchise is amazing, the story elements of being able to relive your ancestors experiences through a machine and your DNA is just sci-fi gold. The protagonist (Desmond) and his ancestral story of Altair and Ezio were also amazing. With Altair and Ezio we see a glimpse of an Order that fights against Tyranny (Templars) and belongs to something greater than themselves. For 4 major games I was captivated and excited, buying every game at launch (even the CE editions).

Then enters ACIII and I'm treated to a shift in story, No longer are you a part of this order, no longer do you feel like you have a place, your history is gone... and no longer does the story make ANY sense at all. Being American the story of ACIIII was immensely offensive, I did not enjoy the British leaning / anti-founding fathers aspect of ACIIII at all. AC: Liberation on the other hand was quite well done and almost made up for the lacking of ACIIII. if it didn't cost me a new console to play it....

Then... we get to ACIV. Pirates! woot! erm wait...
This game shouldn't even be called an Assassin's Creed title it has so little to do with the order as a main story hook. While the story is good on it's own of this brigand during the Golden Age of Pirates. I feel a distinct disconnect from the game. Here is a person that as far as we know has had zero assassin training and yet he has access to all of the skills of his predecessors with no explanation of how he knows these things. The assassin's order during this time is a joke and their inclusion in the game seems more like an after thought that someone said 'hey we need to add this to be able to say it's an AC game'. adding all assassin missions as side-quests? come on Ubisoft, way to **** on your fan base.

The 'modern' story isn't too bad and it does bridge some gaps in the ACIIII ending, however, for a gamer that has followed the series from the beginning there is much sadness here. I really... really don't want anything to do with Abstergo or with the Templars. the idea that there is Templar armor as a side-mission in this game bothers me to no small amount. Probably more than finding out the guy you started playing as in ACIIII turns out to be a templar! The Templar's are the enemy. end of story.

Then there is the sea battles, which hey, I really like the underwater stuff and the chests on little islands, what I don't like is the forced social or community challenges. So if I don't have a million friends playing ACIV then finding these 9 community challenges now becomes an annoying time sink. not a minor one mind you considering that these chests, convoys and white whales can spawn practically anywhere on an already massive map, then they disappear after 10 hours, which makes posting the locations on gaming forums pointless. now for the achievement hunter/competitionist you've taken my gametime hostage in a way that is not fun, it's not even a grind, it's just a waste of time sailing through the seas hoping for a blue pop-up....

The direction that this franchise is taking isn't something that I can stand behind for much longer. If the next AC title continues down the trajectory of potential playable Templar ancestors, or more explored Templar 'sympathy' , lthe creed and assassin's fading more into the background, more side-missions (the boating is cool in ACIV, but its over 50% of the gameplay) than what I'd call traditional 'assassin' activities. Then Ubisoft will have lost a customer and an advocate. That's not a threat, it's a simple fact that someone in Ubisoft should be made aware. I cannot be the only person that feels this way. ACIV is the first title for the PS4 and so far I;m thinking... you know this was not worth the cost, I could of waited 6 months and gotten this for 20 bucks on the PC and not felt bad about it...

For those Ubisoft folks that actually read this as constructive criticism, thank you. for those that want to turn this into a troll/flame post... shame on you.

Shahkulu101
12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Ezio was never aware of the Assassins until Mario told him, still he knew how to climb - no explanation. Edward was a sailor and had to climb rigging on ships and so on: " Every finger's a fishhook, that's how you tell a true sailor" he tells Stede Bonnet as he climbs a viewpoint. Also, Edward being a man of improvisation listened to the Templars calling out for a display of various assassin techniques to be displayed when he first met them - that's how he learned the assassin techniques. If you're wondering why he could do it before - well cause the animus. These are rather subtle nods as to how he had the skills of an assassin, you don't seem to be the most astute of chaps let me tell you.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Personally I, another long term dedicated blablabla fan, am very happy that the franchise is taking this turn. Allowing us to see the Orders and their conflict from different perspectives. Was very happy that we played as a Templar and in AC IV we got to see the conflict from the perspective of an outsider. Good stuff. More of that.

Assassin contracts as side quests were there since time immemorial. You woke up just today? And all assassinations are not thrown into sidequests, thats like factually untrue, man. "Assassin skills" aren't a specific set of skills you can only acquire from a mentor. Social events aren't meant to share on forums. They are flashed on your screen when your friend discovers them. Then you get your *** over there and take it. You dont waste time posting on forums.

This game has as much to do with the Assassin Order as other games, only thing is you're not part of that Order and get an outside view of matters. Assassin Order was a joke? Lol, okay if you say so. First time since AC1 did they have a proper presence and not masquerading as thieves and *****s. At any rate, they cant be wose than ACB's assassins. What did Achilles say? That we don't announce ourselves from the rooftops? Seems like he was taking direct potshots at ACB crowd. But it seems that is the in thing these days. Appear theatrical and over the top and people love you. Be discreet, secluded and behave as Assassins are actually meant to, and people find you a joke. :(

Btw, if you played AC1 with any care you'd have known that moral ambiguity is one of the core pillars of the AC story. The games exhort you to break out of the traditional good vs bad viewpoint and embrace that nothing is true and everything is permitted. So I admit I laughed a little at the thought of someone being disturbed that there is a TEMPLAR armour! omfg!! If I was the writer I'd totally trouble more by putting more and more Templar mythos into my games.

PS: I'm saying all these things because if these are your opinion then say it like so. Don't pretend that they **** on everyone in the fanbase. Like I said I'm also part of the fanbase you mentioned and I'm super happy that they are finally breaking out of the childish good/bad mould. Won't even mind if we someday play as a fulltime Templar, unlikely as it is to happen. AC4 was a step back in that regard but atleast we still are far from the laughable AC2/B villains and their "motives". So thats why this post on mine. Adios.

EDIT: And also what ma'boy Shahkulu said. I'm actually loving all these fans behaving as if the quote-unquote ASSASSIN SKILLZ are something very secret and unattainable, while they are just the practical manifestation of some simple needs, to stay out of sight, move quickly, kill efficiently etc. Heck the thieves in AC2 could beat Ezio in roof races. How? Are the Assassins? ffs lol

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I loved the naval
The rest - agree with the OP
BUT "having the sense" as Captain ? Kidd puts it isn't explainable. The Creed chooses you - you don't choose the creed.
Having these skills are the 6th sense
It is very odd placing us at abstergo and acting like we dont know whats going on.
Rebecca and shaun shouldve found us and sent us in as SPIES we shouldnt be abstergo employees.
It almost makes me think they were working for abstergo all along and ratted desmond out?
It just feels wrong helping them out after being desmond for the past 6 years.
Its a bit insulting that they try and explain whats going on.
Oh you're new to the franchise? Go back and play the other 5 games - youre missing out.
Modern day as an optional walk around and dig was GREAT but the story was poorly done.

And I find it ironic that they didnt want to be like a disney movie here with their pirates yet the Assassins and Guardians were VERY Disney Movie hahahhahaha
It was cringe worthy....

Mr_Shade
12-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Please post further feedback in the pinned thread, which was set up for posts such as these..

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*

LoyalACFan
12-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Rebecca and shaun shouldve found us and sent us in as SPIES we shouldnt be abstergo employees.
It almost makes me think they were working for abstergo all along and ratted desmond out?

... what?

MIA SILENT
12-11-2013, 08:00 PM
I loved the naval
The rest - agree with the OP
BUT "having the sense" as Captain ? Kidd puts it isn't explainable. The Creed chooses you - you don't choose the creed.
Having these skills are the 6th sense
It is very odd placing us at abstergo and acting like we dont know whats going on.
It just feels wrong helping them out after being desmond for the past 6 years.
Its a bit insulting that they try and explain whats going on.
Oh you're new to the franchise? Go back and play the other 5 games - youre missing out.
Modern day as an optional walk around and dig was GREAT but the story was poorly done.

And I find it ironic that they didnt want to be like a disney movie here with their pirates yet the Assassins and Guardians were VERY Disney Movie hahahhahaha
It was cringe worthy....

Jesus man, you don't half talk out your arse.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Jesus man, you don't half talk out your arse.

U mad bro?
I don't love everyones beloved AC4..s..m...d

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 08:32 PM
... what?

Did I stutter, bro?
Its not odd that all of a sudden your pals from the past 6 years are laughing it up inside of abstergo?
Like abstergo dont know about them?
I'm getting a little irritated at the closed mindedness of all of the "senior" members
They can **** all over AC3 and AC2 but someone doesnt like the sh*t fest AC IV is and they defend it like its a gift from god and theres nothing wrong with it.

Shahkulu101
12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Did I stutter, bro?
Its not odd that all of a sudden your pals from the past 6 years are laughing it up inside of abstergo?
Like abstergo dont know about them?
I'm getting a little irritated at the closed mindedness of all of the "senior" members
They can **** all over AC3 and AC2 but someone doesnt like the sh*t fest AC IV is and they defend it like its a gift from god and theres nothing wrong with it.

People have different opinions than you...wow. You're the one getting all pissy - if someone tries to counter your opinion don't go and whine about it. You're the one with the attitude for god's sake...

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 08:39 PM
If I had a nickel for every POS feedback like this.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 09:07 PM
People have different opinions than you...wow. You're the one getting all pissy - if someone tries to counter your opinion don't go and whine about it. You're the one with the attitude for god's sake...

You cant counter an opinion......theres no right or wrong to an opinion - THATS WHY ITS CALLED AN OPINION