PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft - Learn from Rockstar on how to do multiplayer.

GT-Motion
12-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Red Dead, GTA Online, these games are really fun and great online. One of the key things, is the game feels the same in multiplayer as it does in single player. In Assassins Creed it feels like two completely different games, the mechanics in multiplayer aren't as fluid or smooth, the world feels different, and you are trapped in game modes rather than be in free roam.

What would be perfect, is do exactly what Rockstar did with GTA Online, have 16 or so people, maybe more for next gen, all in the same free roam lobby. We can sail our ships, go to different cities etc and find other players who are online and just cause mischief. If we feel like it we can do coop missions, or just do a deathmatch. Possibly we can have a fleet mini game between players.

You had a great opportunity with Black Flag to make a really fun experience in multiplayer, but after 60 or so hours in single player I have to say I wont be spending time in multiplayer ever, it is just so bad. It appears you had two entirely different teams, creating two entirely different experiences. Single player is one of the greatest games I have ever played, I am 100% on everything except the last treasure chest because I am waiting on my fleet. I am so in love with this games single player, but multiplayer is just such a failure in my opinion. It is a pity, you could have had me playing this game for the next year or so, but after I run out of things to do I might have to move on.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 06:24 AM
I like MP feeling like a different game....
I like it the way it is (havent gave a crack at AC IV MP yet though.)

Kagurra
12-11-2013, 06:27 AM
GTA Online was the biggest POS I've ever seen.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 06:29 AM
I enjoy the way MP works in AC. Although really I only ever play the one on one modes. I used to play the corruption team mode too... but I haven't in a while. Not too big on Artifact Assault or Wolfpack though...I think I'd like the team modes more if I were playing with people I knew and could hear/communicate with.

Multiplayer is ALWAYS hit or miss in AC. Either you like it or you hate it. There really isn't a middle ground, not that I've seen anyway.

I feel like I say that a lot.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 06:38 AM
On the other hand I think AC's MP is like SP totally but with people. Thats why I liked it in the first place. But with Black Flag, I can see how it may feel different, because you (depending on how much time you spent) may roam about pillaging ships in SP and then walk around stabbing people in MP.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Its for sure one of the most skill demanding MPs around.
I love me some wanted :D

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:07 AM
But I hate Assassinate. And now it seems I can't play one session of Deathmatch before the other idiots vote-change it to assassinate :@ *ragequit*

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 07:23 AM
I feel like out of Deathmatch, Wanted, Assassinate that Assassinate takes the most skill.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:30 AM
I feel the opposite. Assassinate is just you running around stabbing whichever human opponent that catches your sight. Deathmatch is more closer to the traditional AC mould. Detecting, stalking him over long time and getting a 500 point kill. Dat satisfaction, I'd even taunt the guys that I'd kill dearly lol. In DMs, points matter, I've seen people with just 3-4 well done kills easily beat 8-9 kill guys. In Assassinate its just how many kills you can get before the otehr guys, points don't matter. That's just based on my experience, could be off.

GT-Motion
12-11-2013, 07:59 AM
I guess I was expecting a free roam type of multiplayer experience, not this. Also you cannot tell me multiplayer feels the same as single player, it simply doesn't, the players move in a choppy manner, not as smooth. Also the whole thing with everyone being the same character is a bit cheesy. A free roam mode would have been nice.

D.I.D.
12-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Ubisoft - Learn from Irrational about not giving a monkey's about multiplayer... as it is now. However, I'm really interested in an integrated world in which other people are out there doing similar work. I like what I've seen of that system in Watch Dogs so far.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:28 AM
I feel the opposite. Assassinate is just you running around stabbing whichever human opponent that catches your sight. Deathmatch is more closer to the traditional AC mould. Detecting, stalking him over long time and getting a 500 point kill. Dat satisfaction, I'd even taunt the guys that I'd kill dearly lol. In DMs, points matter, I've seen people with just 3-4 well done kills easily beat 8-9 kill guys. In Assassinate its just how many kills you can get before the otehr guys, points don't matter. That's just based on my experience, could be off.

But thats exactly how Assassinate works. In Deathmatch the map is so small that is just all about quick kills and stuns before you get killed, there really isn't enough space to hide and plot. In Assassinate you have no target until you track one and pick him out of a crowd, then you stalk and kill him before you're discovered.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I guess I was expecting a free roam type of multiplayer experience, not this. Also you cannot tell me multiplayer feels the same as single player, it simply doesn't, the players move in a choppy manner, not as smooth. Also the whole thing with everyone being the same character is a bit cheesy. A free roam mode would have been nice.

Well I suppose the blending wouldn't really work if you were blending into a crowd of normal npcs.....since you'd be the fancy guy and your opponents would know you were the fancy guy.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
But thats exactly how Assassinate works. In Deathmatch the map is so small that is just all about quick kills and stuns before you get killed, there really isn't enough space to hide and plot. In Assassinate you have no target until you track one and pick him out of a crowd, then you stalk and kill him before you're discovered.

But since you cannot just kill anyone, there's atleast some semblance of planning. And your target cannot kill you. Just escape. In Assassinate its basically free for all, in the truest FPS sense. And the Deathmatch map doesnt feel that small because youre not always running (atleast I dont) In Assassinate you have to ove faast once you spot a human because either someone will take him o he'll take you. And then it becomes a cluster****. Kind of the situation when you have a roofer in DM. Since your target is on the roof you have to get up there too, and then you pursuer will be too, and soon enough everyone is on the roof. Same in Assassinate. Before long everyone is in a hurry to get the most kills.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 08:41 AM

And in wanted you have to pick your target out of a sea of your targets. You slip up and you miss out.
Death Match and Assassination both are very run and gun.
I like my brute in SP and my stealth in MP.

But they all take skill and I enjoy the crap out of it lol

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Wanted is on the other hand.. too open for my tastes. You have to track your targets kilometers away. But yes it does have some awesome escape sequences you dont have in SP nowadays.

Someone said this before AC4.. funny how the MP is more stealth-oriented than the SP.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:48 AM
but Wanted tells you who your target is.

Although I understand the complaints your making about Assassinate.... since most short term MP players are run and gun types.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:51 AM
It tells you the GENERAL area of you target, same as Assassinate does. But I do love the absence of it and merely relying on your eyes to detect the oddities to seek out your targets. Hence again why I prefer Deathmatches.

Another mode I loved in ACR was Corruption. Sad they took it out..

Farlander1991
12-11-2013, 08:51 AM
If anything, I think AC SP should base some things on MP than the other way around (in terms of mechanics)...

I think AC multiplayer for the most part is just fine, honestly.

Sideras
12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
HAH! "learn from Rockstar how to make multiplayer", naaaah. If they are going to learn from someone, it most certainly isn't Rockstar. Free-roam cluster****.

luckyto
12-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I loved Brotherhoods' multiplayer, and Revelations before the March-patch. I think it's one of the most unique MP experiences out there, and it does fit the AC universe.

I do see how you argue that the mechanics feel different. As much as I would love some co-op, I'd much rather have what we've got ... or had until they screwed it up.