PDA

View Full Version : AC IV The Good and Not so Good (SPOILERS!!!!)

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 02:17 AM
It's hard to say how I truly feel about Black Flag.
Saying I was disappointed would be a false statement. I had no high hopes for this title due to the emphasis on Naval. In fact I wasn't at the very least excited for this title.
But I was surprised.
I enjoyed Naval more than I did the actual Campaign.
Naval is by far the highlight, playing only Naval for the first 30 hours of this game, collecting, plundering, upgrading my ship, singing along with my crew I LOVED it. I loved it so much that it was tugging my top AC list, throwing Ezio around and giving Connor a run for his money. It even took AC2s place as my 2nd favorite AC game in the series during these 30 hours. And then I finished.......................................... ....
My Jackdaw was 100% upgraded.
I hunted all animals I needed.
I collected everything.
I defeated all 4 legendary ships.
I did all Naval Contracts.
I made every city gold.
Time to dive into the actual Assassins Creed part! I could NOT WAIT!
If Naval Impressed me this much, ohhh the game is going to be great!
NOPE
I enjoyed the first few sequences, they were different, REALLY liking the stealth elements, bringing back memories of Assassins Creed 1, tailing, listening to convos, open assassinations!
BOY WERE THEY AMAZING!
The optional objectives in the game were getting better and then I continue and by sequence 6..it all starts to feel a little TOO familiar...
A little something else they took out of the AC1 book - repetitiveness

You could start to tell that it was all lather rinse repeat.
Sequence after sequence
Sneak - eagle vision - tail - kill
next mission - same thing
next mission - same thing
It got old fast, the mission design was SO lazy compared to AC2 and AC3 you definitely get the "Filler game" feel from the mission design.
No innovation, not tombs, and the end fight was laughable.
The first AC to not have an epic a** ending.
You literally just climb and air assassinate a guy... WHAT?! That's it??????

The majority begged for stealth and they got it here.
The bad news is that it isn't much of an option, but actually the preferred style the developers clearly want you to play in.
The game felt very stealth forced. Constantly in a do not get detected red zone.
To pound on the fact even more that they want you to play stealthily they literally added an alarm system to the game. Get detected and you'll be surrounded by 5 to 10 guards in 3 seconds. Same goes for scouts - they see you - they shoot - which alarms the alarm ringer,
Which in past games this wouldn't be a problem, but it is here because the combat is sluggish and more button mash based than strategy based.
Animations are sometimes unescapable and 9/10 will be interrupted if you "choose" to play as a brute.
Clearly we aren't given much of a choice in AC IV it's either stealth or suffer with this horrible combat system of constant target changes and countering.
Want to get a sense of what im talking about?
Pick a fight with 3 brutes and time how long it takes for you to kill them all.
By time your break the 2nds counter to kill the third is coming in for oyu to counter - almost a never ending circle.

I don't mind the stealth aspects - I actually enjoyed them for the first half of the campaign. It was refreshing. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them ,but I also want to see the option for us brute players to go in with swift blows instead of trying to prevent that for the painfully short campaign.
I clocked in at 45 hours.
37 of those were collecting, managing my fleet, and sailing.
The campaign is only about 8-10 hours long

And the ending - we don't get to see Edward die? Why not -_-? The shocking surprise was supposed to be he's Haythams Dad? Even though we knew since the announcement....
And the modern day? No closure?
Just an oops we're sorry for blaming you?

I did love The Templar Hunts though.

The Naval alone justifies my purchase.
But as a whole - this game did NOTHING for the franchise.
I hope the MP makes me happy because the story didn't and mission design didnt....

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 02:29 AM
How many of these complaint threads are you going to make exactly?

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 02:35 AM
The first AC to not have an epic a** ending.

You lost me here. Because having Connor lean against a stagecoach and shake his head is far more epic than Edward sailing home with his new found daughter and Anne Bonny singing in the background.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 02:43 AM

One more if MP sucks.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 02:44 AM
You lost me here. Because having Connor lean against a stagecoach and shake his head is far more epic than Edward sailing home with his new found daughter and Anne Bonny singing in the background.

How bout Connor having an epic chase ythrough a burning boat and burrying achillies in the rain vs climbing a few rocks and jumping on a guy...

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 02:45 AM
I have to agree that I didnt have as much of a connection with Edward as I did with Connor.

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 02:45 AM
How bout Connor having an epic chase ythrough a burning boat and burrying achillies in the rain vs climbing a few rocks and jumping on a guy...

That's an end fight, which you already covered. You said ending, which is the end of the game.

And yeah, you complain way too much.

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 02:46 AM

That was not AC3's ending. The ending was what STD mentioned. The stagecoach thing was part of the epilogue. And the ending to the epilogue was Connor sitting silently in the middle of his abandoned village.

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 02:50 AM
That was not AC3's ending. The ending was what STD mentioned. The stagecoach thing was part of the epilogue. And the ending to the epilogue was Connor sitting silently in the middle of his abandoned village.

An epilogue is an ending.

Regardless, it wasn't as good as everything happening at the cove and then Anne Bonny singing and the discussion of Caroline between Jenny and Edward.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 02:50 AM
That's an end fight, which you already covered. You said ending, which is the end of the game.

And yeah, you complain way too much.

Strange...I gave more praise than I complained above..
Odd how so many can only see negatives...
I enjoyed 75% of my time with the singe player.... (30/40 hours)

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Strange...I gave more praise than I complained above..
Odd how so many can only see negatives...
I enjoyed 75% of my time with the singe player.... (30/40 hours)

Because you've said a lot of the same things in other threads, generally giving more negativity than positive points. It's just a "lather, rinse, repeat" of a lot of what you've said before.

That's why it's complaining. It's incessant.

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 03:05 AM
An epilogue is an ending.

Regardless, it wasn't as good as everything happening at the cove and then Anne Bonny singing and the discussion of Caroline between Jenny and Edward.

Nope. Sorry. An epilogue is extra bit of story AFTER the ending. After the story-plot triangle has been completed, after the resolution. Epilogues are used to tell about what happened to one or more of the characters after the story. Notice how the epilogue happens after the end credits. While it can seem like the epilogue is the ending at times, remember that they always happen AFTER the resolution, AKA, after the story has completed its arc. So, in the same sense, the Convo between Jenny and Edward was an epilogue. The STORY ended when Edward realized that he could be a good father, when Jenny first sailed in.

While I agree the ending in Ac4 was great, the whole story leading up to it was in my opinion pretty hit and miss. AC3 did a better job keeping track of side characters and plots.

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Nope. Sorry. An epilogue is extra bit of story AFTER the ending. After the story-plot triangle has been completed, after the resolution. Epilogues are used to tell about what happened to one or more of the characters after the story. Notice how the epilogue happens after the end credits. While it can seem like the epilogue is the ending at times, remember that they always happen AFTER the resolution, AKA, after the story has completed its arc. So, in the same sense, the Convo between Jenny and Edward was an epilogue. The STORY ended when Edward realized that he could be a good father, when Jenny first sailed in.

While I agree the ending in Ac4 was great, the whole story leading up to it was in my opinion pretty hit and miss. AC3 did a better job keeping track of side characters and plots.

epilogue
ˈepəˌlg,-ˌlg/
noun

a section or speech at the end of a book or play that serves as a comment on or a conclusion to what has happened.

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 03:14 AM
epilogue
ˈepəˌlg,-ˌlg/
noun

a section or speech at the end of a book or play that serves as a comment on or a conclusion to what has happened.

Read on. Epilogue happens sometime after the ending of the story, to explain what happened to certain characters after the story. Also, when they say end of the play or book, they literally mean at the END of the play or book. Like, that is the last thing they say. It does not actually mean that the epilogue is PART of the resolution.

Also, notice it says "serves as a comment or conclusion to what HAS happened."

AKA! It is a looking BACK. Conclusion does not mean "end of the story" always, it also means "idea" or "thought" or "belief". The character is THINKING or the author is THINKING about what HAS happened.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Because you've said a lot of the same things in other threads, generally giving more negativity than positive points. It's just a "lather, rinse, repeat" of a lot of what you've said before.

That's why it's complaining. It's incessant.

I thought i would take it all and throw it into one giant ac iv single player thread is all.
You have to admit..every mission felt exactly the same.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Read on. Epilogue happens sometime after the ending of the story, to explain what happened to certain characters after the story.

Exactly.

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Exactly.

You know I was joking before during my post right? Make however many threads about whatever. But this other guy is just a succubus

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 03:20 AM
I thought i would take it all and throw it into one giant ac iv single player thread is all.

Not me. Some missions felt repetitive sure, but not all of them..and unlike AC3, they actually worked. I would rather play 100 repetitive missions in a row than 100 broken messes of missions.

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 03:24 AM
epilogue
ˈepəˌlg,-ˌlg/
noun

I can also throw definitions at you as well

n.
a. A short poem or speech spoken directly to the audience following the conclusion of a play.
b. The performer who delivers such a short poem or speech.
2. A short addition or concluding section at the end of a literary work, often dealing with the future of its characters. Also called afterword.

Afterword. AFTERWORD. AFTER

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 03:29 AM
You know I was joking before during my post right? Make however many threads about whatever. But this other guy is just a succubus

Are you even sure what a succubus is?

Go ahead, throw another definition at me. :)

Regardless, the boss battle was mentioned. So why mention it twice?

Lastly, all this is opinion anyway. Connor was great. Edward's story was more touching and it meant more to me. Neither are character I would have issue playing again as.

Wolfmeister1010
12-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Are you even sure what a succubus is?

Go ahead, throw another definition at me. :)

Regardless, the boss battle was mentioned. So why mention it twice?

Lastly, all this is opinion anyway. Connor was great. Edward's story was more touching and it meant more to me. Neither are character I would have issue playing again as.

In folklore traced back to medieval legend, a succubus is a female demon or supernatural entity that appears in dreams, who takes the form of a human woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. The male counterpart is the incubus. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or even death.

I know what it is. When you talk, that is how I picture you in real life. A *****y demon entity. I am not saying it out of hate. When you say the things that you say, post what you post, That is literally where my brain goes. Nothing much I can do about it.

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 03:40 AM
In folklore traced back to medieval legend, a succubus is a female demon or supernatural entity that appears in dreams, who takes the form of a human woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. The male counterpart is the incubus. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or even death.

I know what it is. When you talk, that is how I picture you in real life. A *****y demon entity. I am not saying it out of hate. When you say the things that you say, post what you post, That is literally where my brain goes. Nothing much I can do about it.

You have a very strange imagination then.

I have no desire to lure anyone with sex. Nor am I a demon.

If you have a problem with the way I post, please add me to the ignore list. Thanks.

MIA SILENT
12-11-2013, 03:44 AM

Do you know what 'break defence' is?

You can use it to knock the brutes down and kill them within seconds. Or, after you've evaded their attack, use break defence and you'll end up in a position behind them; easily able to kill them with 1 hit.

You also mention the game forcing you to play stealth. That's flat out not true. Yes the game encourages it more - but you're in the tiny minority that seems to think that's a bad thing. Yes the combat in this game is sluggish and a bit glitchy - but that's no reason to look negatively upon stealth.

If you're worried about the alarms and sniper guards, take measures to disable them before you go Rambo on all the guards. It's not rocket science.

Landruner
12-11-2013, 03:45 AM

I agree with you I enjoyed the sides Naval & Pirates missions more than the main missions and Assassination or even the story. I think and a lot of reviewers said the same the all design of those missions was based on the same template, repetitive and inspired - aka follow that dude template mission (most of the main mission were Tailing, and tailing and tail again)... AC4 is a good game, but those lack in the innovations especially for the main missions makes it a very banal game after al. So, yes the pirate and naval stuff were great, while the rest of the gameplay...well it does not fly very high above the sea level.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Hey, its still a better ending than killing someone in a cutscene eh? I dunno, but I felt the last part dodging the Observatory's defenses and some puzzle elements was a nice change of pace. Certainly better than AC3's notorious habit of cutscene assassinations.

Lol, if you gona include the full AC3 ending then you should do so for AC4 too don't you think?

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 04:39 AM
Hey, its still a better ending than killing someone in a cutscene eh? I dunno, but I felt the last part dodging the Observatory's defenses and some puzzle elements was a nice change of pace. Certainly better than AC3's notorious habit of cutscene assassinations.

Lol, if you gona include the full AC3 ending then you should do so for AC4 too don't you think?

jumping on a guy and arguing with a little girl that you own a ship not a boat...better? haha

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 04:45 AM
jumping on a guy and arguing with a little girl that you own a ship not a boat...better? haha

Much better than burying some old guy and moping in a corner with a sad face lel

EDIT: Then hanging out with an old who-knows-who

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Much better than burying some old guy and moping in a corner with a sad face lel

EDIT: Then hanging out with an old who-knows-who

/Not sure if joking but I'll take it.

Who wouldn't prefer the sad-face ending over a more lighthearted one if it means getting a more coherent and emotional story with the package. I'm on my 5th whole play-through of Black Flag and I just can't get into Edward or the story as I have with Connor and AC:3. Black Flag is just too cliche, one dimensional, and it went back to being black and white the entire trip.

phoenix-force411
12-11-2013, 05:37 AM
Ubi should only require us to do one Optional Objective like ACB and ACR. There were these Optional Objectives in ACIV that required you to be stealthy but the other one required you to do something stupid that would require you to risk the other optional objective altogether.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Who wouldn't prefer the sad-face ending over a more lighthearted one if it means getting a more coherent and emotional story with the package.

Many would. Because for me it was Connor's story that was an incoherent mess. More emotional? sure. More coherent? lolnope. Thats why I'd take Black Flag's story over AC3, a simple but well-executed story over a high-aiming one but poorly executed one any day.

Black Flag is just too cliche, one dimensional, and it went back to being black and white the entire trip.

Sounds like its on the right track then, because the last time AC games were cliche, one dimensional and too black and white, is widely regarded as the golden era of AC (AC2/Brotherhood).

LoyalACFan
12-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Well, this thread went to hell quickly.

Regardless, I cannot fathom how anyone thinks AC4's missions were worse than AC3's. That just does not compute for me. Sure, there were too many tailing missions, but at least you had some freedom to choose your route instead of the AC3 approach of forcing you to adhere to one specific path. Plus, "jumping on a guy" is a worse assassination than watching a cutscene and pressing Square like basically every one of the AC3 ones? Or, in the case of Charles Lee, the freaking FINAL BOSS, just watching a cutscene with no controller input whatsoever after chasing him on an extremely linear path? Yeah... no.

The majority begged for stealth and they got it here.
The bad news is that it isn't much of an option, but actually the preferred style the developers clearly want you to play in.
The game felt very stealth forced. Constantly in a do not get detected red zone.
To pound on the fact even more that they want you to play stealthily they literally added an alarm system to the game. Get detected and you'll be surrounded by 5 to 10 guards in 3 seconds. Same goes for scouts - they see you - they shoot - which alarms the alarm ringer,
Which in past games this wouldn't be a problem, but it is here because the combat is sluggish and more button mash based than strategy based.
Animations are sometimes unescapable and 9/10 will be interrupted if you "choose" to play as a brute.
Clearly we aren't given much of a choice in AC IV it's either stealth or suffer with this horrible combat system of constant target changes and countering.
Want to get a sense of what im talking about?
By time your break the 2nds counter to kill the third is coming in for oyu to counter - almost a never ending circle..

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to start. If you want to play as a "brute", then by all means do so. It's totally your choice, don't act like you're being "forced" into anything. And don't complain that it's harder to take plantations when you're fighting dozens of guards than when you're slipping past unnoticed. That's how it should be. I normally don't say things like this since I feel that they're rude, but I feel like I need to speak up since this series is catering more and more to players who want an insta-win: if you're legitimately having trouble with fighting brute archetypes, you're bad at combat. All you have to do is roll out of the way of their attack, trip them, and stab them on the ground. Plus, you remember you've got guns, right? If anything, AC4 combat is more strategic than AC3's since there are more common archetypes who can't be kill-streaked, but it's not hard. At all. Time how long it takes for me to kill three brutes? About ten seconds.

The fact that you get "interrupted" is GOOD. AC has been consistently criticized for its enemies standing around to let you finish your kill animation, and though it's not totally fixed, it's a step in the right direction. And all you have to do when you get "interrupted" is press the Counter button, so I have no idea what you're talking about here. You're never locked into an animation. If somebody takes a swing at you while you're in the middle of a counter kill, just counter him, and the first guy will die the same as if you had finished the animation.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Ubi should only require us to do one Optional Objective like ACB and ACR. There were these Optional Objectives in ACIV that required you to be stealthy but the other one required you to do something stupid that would require you to risk the other optional objective altogether.
I actually like the direction they went with syncing here. If you go back you don't have to do both objectives again, just the one you didnt do the first time, but I 100% agree that d"Don't enter combat" should NEVER be one of those objectives again since you already have to tail so much without being detected. Choose one or the other. Make it manditory in a mission, make it an objective and let us tail from the front if we want, or toss it from objectives completely. Way too much forced play style here for sure.

Many would. Because for me it was Connor's story that was an incoherent mess. More emotional? sure. More coherent? lolnope. Thats why I'd take Black Flag's story over AC3, a simple but well-executed story over a high-aiming one but poorly executed one any day.
Sounds like its on the right track then, because the last time AC games were cliche, one dimensional and too black and white, is widely regarded as the golden era of AC (AC2/Brotherhood).

I'm not saying Edwards story was horrible, but it felt very much AC3 ish in the sense that it had great potential but wasnt utilized fully.

How I invised AC IV -

A man and a woman are in love. The womans parents do not approve of this man.
He becomes a pirate to chase riches and prove himself a man of value to both his wife and her family.
He falls prey to the pirate life style of women, rum, and gold. We see a less than charming version of Ezio.
You wake up in haystackes not only hung over but with a woman hung over you.
But you're a skilled and feared pirate. You get your hands on a treasure from the templars and catch interest of the assassins.
You are resistant to their ways - but for a price......
Eventually contract after contract, death speech after death speech lost friend after lost friend you awaken and become wise
You start to accept their views,
you realize you had your treasure all along (aweeeeeee) and sail home! Only to find out your wife is dead (You find out first hand, not from a letter)
You meet your daughter you abandoned, say sweet stuff - hug her - close your eyes - open them you're an older Edward - holding young haytham up camera spins around
he awakens at night - intruders - he tells haytham and his wife to hide, he tells haytham to keep her say safe,
He runs out to meet the intruders - is stabbed in the heart with his own sword
eyes close
credits roll
music drops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Uynq6tCT4

I ball my eyes out

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 06:24 AM
I must say... that would've been beautiful...and heartbreaking.....especially the shanty as his life fades and his world goes dark....and the visions of lost friends dance in his mind.

But I'm also happy with what I got. I know what is going to happen to Edward...but I get to at least imagine that he had a few years of happy family life with Jenny and Haytham before the end.

Also... I think 2 sad endings in a row would've upset some people.

Also the burial of Achilles and the conversation with his grave (which makes sense to have in post game) was VERY touching. It leaves a bit more hope in Connor's story. Things may not have worked out with his mom or his dad or his people or the patriots... but he found a new family in Achilles and the Homesteaders.

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 06:28 AM

It's controversial. IMO, it was well executed and very interesting. It's probably because I've replayed it more than half a dozen times and can overlook the messy glitches. AC:IV wasn't bad, I really liked it, but it wasn't the material AC:3 was for me.

AC, after the first half of AC2 have had me yawning until the 2nd half of Revelations and AC3. The highlights of AC2-ACR for me, was mostly Desmond's parts, really. AC2 and Brotherhood are extremely overrated.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 06:33 AM
I must say... that would've been beautiful...and heartbreaking.....especially the shanty as his life fades and his world goes dark....and the visions of lost friends dance in his mind.

But I'm also happy with what I got. I know what is going to happen to Edward...but I get to at least imagine that he had a few years of happy family life with Jenny and Haytham before the end.

Also... I think 2 sad endings in a row would've upset some people.

Also the burial of Achilles and the conversation with his grave (which makes sense to have in post game) was VERY touching. It leaves a bit more hope in Connor's story. Things may not have worked out with his mom or his dad or his people or the patriots... but he found a new family in Achilles and the Homesteaders.

When your sailings over..... haul awaaay for heaven! haul awaaaay for heaven, God be by your side.
They could've at least used it for blackbeared...man it would've been powerful,

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Blackbeard....that made me sad... but with explosions.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Blackbeard....that made me sad... but with explosions.

He was the only one I loved....
I found Captain Kidd annoying so I dropped her dead body for laughs.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 06:52 AM
He was the only one I loved....
I found Captain Kidd annoying so I dropped her dead body for laughs.

I dropped her by the boat with Anne and Al Tabai in order to go back and check Rackham, who I missed.... and when I got back she was gone but Al Tabai still wanted to know what happened to her.

I was like "I dunno bro... I left her here with you! What happened?!"

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Kidd's death hit me way harder than Blackbeard's (whose was sad as well, and unexpected. Because I thought the "its not the first time Kenway, won't be the last.. scene would play out. Instead he died :X And the guy was on his retirement ffs!) But anyway if there's one side character I liked the most it'd be Kidd. I initially thought he/she was a tranny lol

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 07:21 AM
I initially thought Kidd was a manly dressed woman.... and then I read the character profile in the database and re-convinced myself that he was a teenage boy (which wasn't "too" uncommon).....and then I was like AW MAN.....make up your mind!

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:27 AM
His body was manly but voice was totally femalish. Which led me to my initial conclusion. At one point I thought I was going gay because I liked a man's voice, and liked it in that.. way. Was kind of relieved that she turned out to be a woman. Phew!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 07:30 AM
I knew it was a woman the whole time...wasnt even a little surprised...
the voice..the breasts - though small - were still existent.
I guess im the only one that looked.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:32 AM
I knew it was a woman the whole time...wasnt even a little surprised...
the voice..the breasts - though small - were still existent.
I guess im the only one that looked.

Or you knew the history. :p Thats the bad thing about AC games. Those who know the history of the period pretty much spoil the game for themselves.

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Or you knew the history. :p Thats the bad thing about AC games. Those who know the history of the period pretty much spoil the game for themselves.

Yep... Since the demo, I knew that sequence was going to have Blackbeard's death.

I really have to stop researching stuff for AC.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Yep... Since the demo, I knew that sequence was going to have Blackbeard's death.

I really have to stop researching stuff for AC.

Which is why I research stuff AFTER playing the games.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 07:44 AM
I knew the history of Mary Reed. I just....tried to convince myself that this wasn't her.... but alas... tricked myself into tricking myself.

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Which is why I research stuff AFTER playing the games.

8 months of the waiting game is not easy.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 07:57 AM
8 months of the waiting game is not easy.

Enough time to research post-AC3 stuff!

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Enough time to research post-AC3 stuff!

True but admittedly, the revolutionary war sounds so BORING.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:13 AM
True but admittedly, the revolutionary war sounds so BORING.

True. Very true. Part of the reason why I'm not over the moon with AC3..

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Being a history fan and an American... I have to admit the Revolutionary Period is rather dull. It was always my second least favorite period to study in history class (the first being Hawaiian history...because they teach it to you 4 times in grade school here.)

If anything... imagining it via AC and interacting with the historical figures actually made me MORE interested in it. I used to imagine a bunch of stuffy guys in wigs fighting Mel Gibson... now... now I see the men I saw in AC3. Each of them serving a role in the birth of the country, each of them an individual. Plus I like that they pointed out how much of a cocky butt-munch Paul Revere was.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:24 AM
If anything... I'm disappointed that Jefferson and Franklin didn't get more screen time until they did the parallel reality DLC. They were two rather fascinating figures of that time (what with their secret societies and their grand schemes)... Jefferson the young fiery-tempered ginger duelist and Franklin the somewhat odd but ever clever elderly ladies man.

I mean... I get Franklin was in France for most of the war doing negotiations and having orgies with the Hellfire Club...but he still should've got more than just that bit with Haytham and the 1 clip signing the Declaration in the main game. Hell Jefferson didn't even get to be in the signing scene...and he wrote the damn thing.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-11-2013, 08:31 AM

I didnt know the history at all.
TBH I didnt even know black beard was a real person until the aciv trailer haha

Fatal-Feit
12-11-2013, 08:38 AM
I didnt know the history at all.
TBH I didnt even know black beard was a real person until the aciv trailer haha

The more you know. ;)

Plus I like that they pointed out how much of a cocky butt-munch Paul Revere was.

I'm 100% sure Paul Revere was purposely made to be annoying during the midnight ride.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:42 AM
I didn't even know there existed a person named Blackbeard. Contrary to my username, I had zero knowledge of pirates. My friend saw the trailer and he was like.. Wow Blackbeard's in it. So I was like.. was that someone important? But like always, AC managed to pique my interest in pirates and the Caribbean in general and now I know about them a lot more than a few months ago.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:46 AM
The more you know. ;)

I'm 100% sure Paul Revere was purposely made to be annoying during the midnight ride.

Which is good... because Paul Revere WAS a cocky butt-munch. AND he tended to take credit for the "ride" although there were 3 riders and he rode the shortest distance.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Revere was AC3's Stede Bonnet. There to annoy (or entertain) the player.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't think so. Bonnet was a likeable oaf....Revere was just kind of a ******. :p

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:54 AM
I don't think so. Bonnet was a likeable oaf....Revere was just kind of a ******. :p

Hence the likable/annoying thing :p But yeah he was a likable guy, and even when he did stupid things it used to make me laugh. Like tailing those guys, going right up to their asses and screaming I believe they're on to us!! His facial expressions were hilarious throughout too.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 10:03 AM
"I've got a smashing good idea! Why don't we split up?!"

"Best idea you've had all day mate."

HiddenKiller612
12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
It boggles my mind how you can't know of black beard. The man's a legend. I knew of his death before I even played the game, and pretty much figured it'd go one or two ways... They would fake his death, or they would do it the way it actually happened... Even knowing it was coming I was sad as hell. I wish I could have burst from those two guys and massacre the ones who killed him. Alas, I did not. I ended up putting all of the Queen Anne's Revenge stuff on the Jackdaw as a sort of tribute.

History has always fascinated me, whether it was pirates, templars, native americans, Vikings, etc. The love of history is what brought me to this series. There are so few historical games out... I wish there was more to Blackbeards story... but like all great men of legend, the truth is shrouded in lies and tall tales.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
It boggles my mind how you can't know of black beard. The man's a legend. I knew of his death before I even played the game, and pretty much figured it'd go one or two ways... They would fake his death, or they would do it the way it actually happened... Even knowing it was coming I was sad as hell. I wish I could have burst from those two guys and massacre the ones who killed him. Alas, I did not. I ended up putting all of the Queen Anne's Revenge stuff on the Jackdaw as a sort of tribute.

History has always fascinated me, whether it was pirates, templars, native americans, Vikings, etc. The love of history is what brought me to this series. There are so few historical games out... I wish there was more to Blackbeards story... but like all great men of legend, the truth is shrouded in lies and tall tales.

The thing I like the most about Assassin's Creed (the thing that keeps me fascinated and happy game after game after game) is that general fascination with how the series flirts with the "plausible". I mean.. some of it is obviously Science Fiction...but all the things they mention (secret societies, progenitor civilizations, ancient relics that we can't explain, historical events that aren't 100% accurate) are all things that either exist or are theorized to have existed.

And I get that some people aren't into the "conspiracy theory BS" that it may seem like..... but to someone like me who is intrigued by relics and unknown facts, this series is playable GOLD.

HiddenKiller612
12-11-2013, 11:15 AM
The thing I like the most about Assassin's Creed (the thing that keeps me fascinated and happy game after game after game) is that general fascination with how the series flirts with the "plausible". I mean.. some of it is obviously Science Fiction...but all the things they mention (secret societies, progenitor civilizations, ancient relics that we can't explain, historical events that aren't 100% accurate) are all things that either exist or are theorized to have existed.

And I get that some people aren't into the "conspiracy theory BS" that it may seem like..... but to someone like me who is intrigued by relics and unknown facts, this series is playable GOLD.
It's all a big what if scenario... What if this person in reality actually did this instead of that.. What if all the relics thought to have been around, were actually real and powerful... I like this kind of thing myself. Probably another reason why I enjoy each game.

pacmanate
12-11-2013, 11:20 AM

How many threads are you going to make per day in general?

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 03:47 PM
I wish I could have burst from those two guys and massacre the ones who killed him. Alas, I did not. I ended up putting all of the Queen Anne's Revenge stuff on the Jackdaw as a sort of tribute..

I was like.. NOOOO get me out of this cutscene and let me massacre those guys! And yes I too ended up decorating my ship with this ship stuff. Piloting his ship was an awesome moment.

SixKeys
12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
I was like.. NOOOO get me out of this cutscene and let me massacre those guys! And yes I too ended up decorating my ship with this ship stuff. Piloting his ship was an awesome moment.

It's funny how people tend to view these roleplaying things differently in their heads. I used the Queen Anne's Revenge decorations before Blackbeard's death, but using them after just felt wrong, somehow.

In one of the extra missions that came with my edition (Mystery Island, I think) you also get Stede Bonnet's outfit to wear, and it's so annoying because it is by far the best outfit in the game. Perfect for Edward, not too flashy, great for blending and still piratey enough. I would wear it all the time, but it just feels weird wearing the clothes of someone who I met and was (sort of) my friend in the game. :nonchalance:

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I had the Sacrifice Island, and the outfit that comes with it (Drake's outfit) makes Edward look like an uber badass. :D Not so good or blending, but I always wear it while free sailing. Makes him look like a merciless pirate with a hint of medieval touch.

I must google for Edward in Bonnet's outfit.. I'm an outfit nerd and the more outfits a game has the happier I am. Bonnet's outfit always seemed very good to me. I'd have totally worn his dress if it was available to me and reasoned that its because Edward's a ****. lol. Maybe that outfit too, is to remember Bonnet by. :|

SixKeys
12-11-2013, 05:23 PM
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131119064340/assassinscreed/images/9/9e/AC4_Stede_Bonnet's_attire.png

SixKeys
12-11-2013, 05:27 PM
BTW, I haven't completed all the naval contracts, so I didn't unlock the golden flintlock pistols in the game yet. This is the first time I'm seeing them on Edward. Good God, they're ugly. Almost makes me not want to get them. :|

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 05:32 PM
They dont go well with this particular outfit.. something darker coloured would fit I think.. Oh and no outfit other than the default ones have those holster straps either.. Seems like that bigass petition failed afterall.

ReverseDoddo
12-11-2013, 05:55 PM
ac black flag sucks okey stop with epic ending ohh it soo saddd i just sucks the ending and the hole game is pairet ****t ac will never be god like ac1 and ezio story!

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 06:01 PM
ac black flag sucks okey stop with epic ending ohh it soo saddd i just sucks the ending and the hole game is pairet ****t ac will never be god like ac1 and ezio story!

10/10 would read again.

LoyalACFan
12-11-2013, 06:02 PM
They dont go well with this particular outfit.. something darker coloured would fit I think.. Oh and no outfit other than the default ones have those holster straps either.. Seems like that bigass petition failed afterall.

There are like eight outfits that have holsters. Not quite what I'd call a failure.

DarktheMagister
12-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Yeah thats too bad..... It doesn't seem like adding the straps over the costumes would've been hard. At least the coat ones have it.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:53 PM
There are like eight outfits that have holsters. Not quite what I'd call a failure.

I know.. I was just pulling yo legs, knew you'd see this post :p Atleast some outfits have holsters now, whereas, seeing as the others don't, I guess they'd have put holsters on none of em if not for that petition.

LoyalACFan
12-11-2013, 10:44 PM
I know.. I was just pulling yo legs, knew you'd see this post :p Atleast some outfits have holsters now, whereas, seeing as the others don't, I guess they'd have put holsters on none of em if not for that petition.

Damn straight :p

In all seriousness though, they're all on the ones that have the default robe underneath. The recolors and the cloaks and such. I guess they only wanted to make one holster "model", if that makes sense, and it wouldn't fit over the other outfits (like the ones with the huge lapel flap things like Duncan's)?