PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite nautical lingo from the game?

Frag_Maniac
12-08-2013, 06:23 AM
I get a kick out of it when Adewale says "Muzzle that duck!", or "Ease the Spanker!"

On a side note, I found something interesting when searching for the history of the slang Edward uses in describing the assassin he chases after at the start of the game when calling him "posh". I've of course heard the word used before many times in movies and such, and know it to mean high class, but little did I know it was derived from nautical terms describing best ship cabins for wealthy travelers. Apparently it's an acronym that means Port side heading Out, Starboard heading Home.

MnemonicSyntax
12-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Problem with that though, is Port wasn't a word used in that time period. Which brings me to the opposite of your topic. "Larboard." Larboard is the word they used for "left" or "port" and it didn't come around until the 1800s. I hate it when they use that word, because Larboard sounds like Starboard, and, which is the reason for the change because they sound similar.

While not totally nautical lingo, my favorite part is when Edward says "You lot, weigh anchor. The rest of you, half at the foremast, half at the main. Let's outrun this hurricane!"