PDA

View Full Version : The beginning cutscene of AC4 makes me sad everything (spoilers??)

tymaster50
12-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure how it would be a spoiler since it happens like 4 minutes into the game and its not exactly a secret but all Ed wanted was to make his famly rich but she couldn't see that :(

"i don't want food that makes me sick, walls that don't get knocked down from the wind"

Right in the feels.

oops can I edit my title... I don't know why I added "everything".

SixKeys
12-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure how it would be a spoiler since it happens like 4 minutes into the game and its not exactly a secret but all Ed wanted was to make his famly rich but she couldn't see that :(

"i don't want food that makes me sick, walls that don't get knocked down from the wind"

Right in the feels.

She did see it, she just didn't think being rich was as important as being happy. It becomes clear in the course of the story that Edward never feels satisfied no matter how much money he makes.

lothario-da-be
12-08-2013, 07:55 PM
You don't need to be rich to built a descent house though. But that part does hit something with me too.

SixKeys
12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
You don't need to be rich to built a descent house though. But that part does hit something with me too.

Right, which is why she agreed to let him go and do what she thought would make him happy. But he got greedy and never went back.

lothario-da-be
12-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Right, which is why she agreed to let him go and do what she thought would make him happy. But he got greedy and never went back.
But thats not who he was apparently :p

pacmanate
12-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I think that part at the start with Caroline showed the actually reason behind why he was obsessed with money.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Umm.. I know where Edward is coming from but there is a difference between wanting to better yourself and just being outright greedy. I haven't finished the game yet but, it seems like he doesn't know when to quit. I get that you want to be well off and that Caroline came from money and that she "settled for less" but obviously she wants to happy vs. rich!

Shahkulu101
12-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Umm.. I know where Edward is coming from but there is a difference between wanting to better yourself and just being outright greedy. I haven't finished the game yet but, it seems like he doesn't know when to quit. I get that you want to be well off and that Caroline came from money and that she "settled for less" but obviously she wants to happy vs. rich!

....keep playing.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 09:13 PM
^ oh my... I guess this will be changing soon. haha.

Shahkulu101
12-08-2013, 09:15 PM

Sequence?

flamesium
12-09-2013, 01:13 AM

No, you pretty much nailed it first time around. Edward cares more about becoming rich than staying with Caroline. Caroline doesn't care whether Edward is rich or not and leaves him when it becomes clear she can't change his mind about going.

I won't say how it resolves because it sounds like you haven't finished the game yet, but your interpretation of their points of view is spot on.

SixKeys
12-09-2013, 02:31 AM
The change in Edward started to happen too late, IMO. He was selfish and greedy up until about sequence 10, I think, when he seemed to have a sudden change of heart. It started with the mission where you discover the Observatory. While I'm still happily plundering ships and sinking them during freeroam, Edward is suddenly all worried when Roberts kills a few innocent men. In the jungle you have to kill all the Guardians unarmed for full synch. Why would Edward care about not hurting them? He didn't give a crap about all the other enemies in the game thus far.

EaglePrince25
12-09-2013, 02:45 AM

Right in the feels.

I agree his reasoning with the food and the house isn't bad by any means. Every person has the right to a decent house and good food, especially if they're willing to work for it. Problem is, as others have said, and we've all seen over the course of the story, Edward's really never satisfied; always searching for something bigger and better. And it takes him a long time to grow out of it. On the flip side the feeling I got from Caroline was that she was perfectly satisfied with what they had, as long as they were together. So it was more of a clash on values and such.

mikeyf1999
12-09-2013, 11:46 AM
You do realize that getting somebody with fists only knocks them out right

MIA SILENT
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
The only moment I felt sadness was at the end - seeing Edward reminisce with Anne Bonny and when Edward was imagining his old pals sat around sharing a laugh.

pirate1802
12-10-2013, 07:02 AM
I think the thing that bothered Edward was not so much as the captain was innocent, but he was unarmed and it wasn't necessary to kill him. Remember how he is displeased when Vane sinks a civilian schooner. None of the other pirates were bloodthirsty enough to kill surrendered men I think, Edward included. It didnt fit the sort of unwritten code they used to follow.. I felt his transformation was well-handled. From a loose cannon, to running after big prizes, to seeing his friends going down one by one till the realization finally dawns upon him. Any quicker and it would have seemed too fast for me. Given that that transformation itself was the point of the game. I think he's lot like Walter White. In it initially for the family but got sucked into it and got more and more greedy.

The only moment I felt sadness was at the end - seeing Edward reminisce with Anne Bonny and when Edward was imagining his old pals sat around sharing a laugh.

Yeah that too, right in the feels :C

DarktheMagister
12-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I think Edward saw in Roberts what he would become if he continued down the path he walked....and that changed him. He remembered that he originally wanted security and purpose...and not just "a merry life and a short one."