PDA

View Full Version : You're in charge of the AC franchise..what would you do? GO!

shobhit7777777
12-07-2013, 09:19 PM
You've been chosen to run the AC dept. You have COMPLETE control (Job title: Overlord) over the franchise...how? Because I'm Batman and I said so.

You have ONE WEEK = 7 days before they come to their senses and kick you the hell out.

All your decisions and ideas will stay however....this is permanent.

What do you do?

GOOOOOOOO!

Rules:

1. Mention Japan and you're out of the running for "Best Chief Executive Overlord" award
2. Mention Egypt...same as above
3. Mention Connor...same as above
4. Mention Ezio...same as above

Kagurra
12-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Don't have time to get into any details as I'm off to the store, but..

Korea?

pirate1802
12-07-2013, 09:26 PM
1. decree that all future AC games would have a gap of atleast two-and-half years.

2. Take 5 years off to create an AC based on the rise and fall of Alexander, featuring cities the Pella, Babylon etc. Take Shobhit and a few other bright people from these forums aboard to create the best AC experience humanly possible.

SixKeys
12-07-2013, 09:45 PM
1. Return of social stealth. Socially unacceptable actions would invite comments and unwanted attention, maybe even hostility from the crowd.

2. More varied NPC reactions and archetypes. Just like there are Agiles and Brutes in the guard ranks, there should be Paranoid people in the crowd who will run to fetch the guards if you kill someone or pick-pocket them in broad daylight, and Thugs who will get aggressive and try to fight you or hold you down (a mix between the thugs and vigilantes from AC1).

3. No more yearly releases.

4. Possibly: Difficulty or challenge modes for hardcore players who want a more challenging experience. In these modes you only have a limited amount of weapons, no convenient ammo refills from looting dead bodies during missions (if you only have 5 sleeping darts, you better use them wisely) and tougher enemies. This would hopefully get people to stop whining about the games not being difficult enough while still offering a nice balance for both casuals and veterans.

5. The hood is no longer mandatory for each new assassin's design.

6. More female and POC protagonists.

Not sure what else I would like to be a permanent part of the franchise.

Shahkulu101
12-07-2013, 09:54 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/815225-Assassin-s-Creed-II-Discovery-REMAKE

pacmanate
12-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I would put it on hold and revive Prince of Persia.

ze_topazio
12-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Portugal

Main character would look like me.

Sushiglutton
12-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Dump the modern part. It's not the most important fix, but it's the easiest one.
Focus a lot of resources on making combat interesting. It's an important gameplay pillar and it has been subpar for years. Other open world franchises like Arkham and even Sleeping Dogs are miles ahead.
Rethink how collectibles are handled in the game completely. They should be far fewer of them and they should all take some real effort to obtain. One example could be real puzzles, or platforming levels. The rest of the stuff you can find in the world should only reward you with resources.They should not be counted towards completion and should not be marked on the map.
Try to add more interactivity to the parkour system. Right now it's technically impressive, but I feel like a spectator. There needs to be something you as a player can do to maintain speed and momentum so that running from point A to B quickly feels satisfying to do.
Redesign interaction with animals. Hunting is cool, but at the moment you just pull out your gun and shoot tthe animals. If you're attacked you just do a quick QTE and then shoot them. Dangerous animals need to feel like a threat. Horses are an important part of many historical settings. They need to be rebuilt from scratch with motion caption.
Increase the number of HUD customization options. Make sure "Hud off" really means HUD off!!!
Proper underwater swimming everywhere. This would be a cool way to add secret passages and more stealth options. The more ways you can explore the worlds of AC the better.
Set a game in ancient Egypt!
One new game every two years.

MIA SILENT
12-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Cyborg Assassin with Ion thruster boots and machine gun nipples.

Kagurra
12-07-2013, 11:14 PM
I would put it on hold and revive Prince of Persia.

I would actually be very happy about this... the original PoP series is one of my all time favorites. I think 2 was the best, albeit a little confusing with the free-roam/but not free-roam map. Maybe that's just because I was a lot younger. New ones suck hard.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-07-2013, 11:15 PM
The only change I would make would be contrary to Sushi's first point. I would try to reimagine the series by filling in gaps, redesigning, and reestablishing the modern day story line, all in hopes that this would reignite the series, and appease older fans, while continuing to draw in new fans.

ACfan443
12-07-2013, 11:21 PM
1. Put a stop to the annual release cycle.

2. Stop the 10000 teams around the planet working on one game. Confine virtually all development practices to the one studio in Montreal to ensure a clear, concise and shared creative vision.

3. Whip the multiplayer team into shape. I've seen hardly any innovation since 2010, they've done nothing but pile useless baggage onto what was once an extremely unique and innovative multiplayer experience. Who the f*** even asked for microstransactions or gamelab...

4. Allow creative freedom to the team, providing they meet the following requirements:
- inclusion of and emphasis on social stealth, something which the team would be encouraged to overhaul.
- open ended mission structure with a vast array of stealth opportunities
- robust, well developed, competent AI
- clean HUD
- no undeveloped, arbitrary filler side content, no useless collectibles. Puzzles with depth and challenge - not here for kiddy 'fit the shape into the correct hole' inspired mini games. They were offensively juvenile.
- random events
- seamless world
- a less automated navigation system, no wildlife QTEs, a more challenging combat system which doesn't heavily revolve around chain killing, kill animations which are brief and fluid.
- time periods with large, dense cities
- primary focus on Assassin-Templar conflict, with moral ambiguity strongly integrated into the narrative
(I suppose all that removes a lot of the aforementioned freedom :nonchalance:, but hey ho).

5. And finally, if need be, delay the game until near perfection is achieved.

Legendz54
12-07-2013, 11:24 PM
1: Bring in a new modern day protagonist and make the Modern day interesting and meaningful so most fans enjoy it.
2:AC in Greece persian war era
3: Redesign the whole combat, social stealth and free running system
4: Make the whole game world more interactive with more animations to manoeuvre the world
5: Make more guard archetypes and make them more tough while redesigning the way they battle you and each other.

7: Staff will be flogged and punished if caught lazying off and not tying up loose ends to the modern story and complaining its too hard and time consuming..

Shahkulu101
12-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Give us nought but a hidden blade, small dagger and a ranged weapon. Crouch button, crouch sprint option too. sprawling metropolis ('s) instead of small sized towns and wilderness areas or huge naval areas. Moral ambiguity between A&T's like AC1/3 and less focus on TWCB.

Oh and a 3rd person focussed present day narrative.

Razrback16
12-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I would put the crew that did AC2 / ACB on the rest of the series going forward.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-08-2013, 12:20 AM
I would put the crew that did AC2 / ACB on the rest of the series going forward.

This. Definitely this,... well, that and what I said.

Razrback16
12-08-2013, 12:48 AM
This. Definitely this,... well, that and what I said.

Thanks!

Yeah I feel like they're getting away from what made the first few games really special.

* lower quality music
* not emphasizing the uniqueness of the characters you play
* in the first few games with desmond & altair / ezio you felt like eagle vision, your advanced fighting skill and intuition came from TWCB, and with Connor / Edward it feels more like we're just an average Joe puzzle-piece being fit into a random puzzle
* In this next game I would really like them to re-examine everything. Please get Jesper Kyd (sp?) back on the soundtrack -- his music really gave the game identity and a magical feel. Please give us a main guy to be like Desmond -- killing Desmond was one of the dumbest things they could've done in AC3 (IMO) -- they finally gave us Desmond missions that were fun to play and had built his character for 5 games and then killed him at the end -- just dumb.
* Please stress the uniqueness of the main character. He should not just be another assassin in the brotherhood -- he should be absolutely unique. His fighting skill and skills in general should be demonstrated to be beyond elite thanks to DNA from TWCB. I remember in one of the AC2 glyph puzzles we heard Subject 16 say (yell) "Why do we have these abilities?" "It's because, it's in OUR BLOOD!" -- that should be stressed significantly.
* These last two heroes I just feel like they are very underwhelming. I want another hero that is trained from a young age to be an assassin (this in particular killed AC4 for me -- they just make Edward, who just a drunken privateer, a combat expert rivaling Ezio at the beginning of the game, with zero training -- absolutely absurd), meets some really cool people, develops great relationships / friendships / romantic interests and, like Altair, and Ezio (and even Connor in AC3) -- has a list of targets, a reason to want them dead, and goes through each sequence researching and tracking his targets for the kill. I want the Templar enemies to fear the Assassin like the enemies in AC2 feared Ezio when they knew he was coming for them.
* I also feel like the teams that did AC3 / AC4 are filling the game up with too much side mission garbage. They're just putting stuff in to put stuff in rather than have it actually contribute to the story. in ACB, the Courtesan, Thief, and Assassination Contracts actually played a role in telling the story of the game.

I could go on and on, and I will in my review since I finished the game up today, but I love this series, and I don't like the direction it's heading. They need to go back and look at AC2 / ACB and see what made those two games so special and try to start fresh with AC5.

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 01:01 AM
JAP.... :p

- Visit ancient civilisations like ancient Greece/Persia....

- Make parkour more a bit more challenging; players should be able at times to figure out themselves the best route for climbing.

- Interact with inanimate objects way more that we do now. They can be totally random: like take a fish and put it on a barbecue. lol

Take 5 years off to create an AC based on the rise and fall of Alexander, featuring cities the Pella, Babylon etc. Take Shobhit and a few other bright people from these forums aboard to create the best AC experience humanly possible.
Oh yes please!

@ Raz: you mentioned the forbidden names! oh noez...

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2013, 01:17 AM
It's tough to go in the time period I want (BC) Because the only civilizations of this time were all Egyptian and Middle Eastern.... (Prince of Persia and AC 1)
So even though Ancient Greece is SO OVER DONE
I would pitch the Peloponnesian War (Sparta Vs. Athens)
431 BC
(End of the Golden age of Greece)
And look...Naval haha
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Map_athenian_empire_431_BC-en.svg/750px-Map_athenian_empire_431_BC-en.svg.png

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2013, 01:20 AM
But since I'm in chargeee
Nazareth 4BC - 33AD :X
Let me meet Jesus Ubisoft! :D

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 01:23 AM
It's tough to go in the time period I want (BC) Because the only civilizations of this time were all Egyptian and Middle Eastern.... (Prince of Persia and AC 1)
So even though Ancient Greece is SO OVER DONE
I would pitch the Peloponnesian War (Sparta Vs. Athens)
431 BC
(End of the Golden age of Greece)
And look...Naval haha

lol Indeed! Hey, maybe that's where the next non-AC pirate game will be! lol

Razrback16
12-08-2013, 01:35 AM
@ Raz: you mentioned the forbidden names! oh noez...

What are the forbidden names? Fill me in. I have been avoiding the boards while playing AC4.

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 01:38 AM
What are the forbidden names? Fill me in. I have been avoiding the boards while playing AC4.
See first post rules. lol

Razrback16
12-08-2013, 01:41 AM
See first post rules. lol

Ah, yep I definitely broke the OP's rules, but it was necessary. :)

MnemonicSyntax
12-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Can we add "no Desmond coming back" to the list too?

For everything else, I would find a happy medium with mechanics, combat, animations, stealth, etc. and then do a Master Collection and add those skill sets to all previous AC games, fill in the gaps and THEN perhaps we could start discussing a new game from there.

I-Like-Pie45
12-08-2013, 01:51 AM
We play as Edward Kenway in Black Flag 2 where it turns out he is actually the legendary-est super saiyan and in World War II he romances Anne Frank (voiced by Sasha Grey) and teams up with Oscar Schindler (voiced by Justin Bieber) and Winona Churchil to battle Robo-Hitler!

UKassassinsfan
12-08-2013, 02:25 AM
I love some of the ideas people are having!
1. First I would fix the modern story, the mystery there really hooked me.
2. Give the story another 3rd person character.
3. Stop yearly releases.
4. Not have to fight the British redcoats for a while and visit something more ancient again.
5. Make the fighting and game a lot harder.
6. Create a game that makes old fans happy whilst keeping new fans coming.

Dev_Anj
12-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Thanks!

Yeah I feel like they're getting away from what made the first few games really special.

Well you make some valid points. Did you like Assassin's Creed 4?

Megas_Doux
12-08-2013, 04:09 AM
1 No game during 2014.
2 Releases every two years.
3 AC V in China!!!!??
4 Harder combat!

DarkDreamer95
12-08-2013, 07:56 AM
1. Some closure on the modern day storyline. I'm not saying Desmond has to come back (I totally wouldn't mind, sue me), but it doesn't make sense to me why they had one protagonist for five games and then killed him off and provided little or no closure for it in AC IV. AC IV was a biiiig downer for me, modern day storyline-wise.

2. No more yearly releases.

3. I'm completely useless with History so I dunno locations, but no WW-I or II.

4. Improved combat. AC IV combat was a HUGE step up from AC III combat, but still not fun. Brotherhood combat was wayyyy too easy but a lot of fun, imo. AC 1 combat was as close to perfect as they've gotten, I think.

I pretty much agree 100% with Razrback16.

MnemonicSyntax
12-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't understand about the issue with no closure for Desmond. He had loads of closure, and some very touching moments. I think they did a good job with it.

Did you hack all the computers?

Phalaris99504
12-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Here is what I'd like to see in future releases of AC

1. One where you play as Haythem from AC3 again. But earlier in time, from maybe his teen years, to how he trained to become an assassin and the events leading up to him switching to be a Templar.

2. World War II. Perhaps a multi part story, where you play as an Assassin for the Allies, and then another for the Axis powers.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Here is what I'd like to see in future releases of AC

1. One where you play as Haythem from AC3 again. But earlier in time, from maybe his teen years, to how he trained to become an assassin and the events leading up to him switching to be a Templar.

2. World War II. Perhaps a multi part story, where you play as an Assassin for the Allies, and then another for the Axis powers.

First... Haytham was never actually switched? Edward died when haytham was about to turn 10 then He was taken under the wing of Reginald Birch as a child and entered the Templar Order... (Read Forsaken)

Okay.. seriously on another note. I want to facepalm everytime I read something about going back to AC2/ACB yeah I get they were fun. but I feel like people get stuck and are looking at those games with rose colored glasses! There is so much more! The game is about how the order comes into their lives and effects them!

okay first I would say..

we take a look at games like TLoU, Tomb Raider, and get more interactive, change up a few things there. by making it gritty and intense. like you're really fighting.

no more year releases! I like having a new AC every year.. but it makes it suffer at the same time.

I say take it to THE STONE AGE. Add in some dinosaurs, cats with lasers, and a unicorn and you get a recipe for success!

EchoFiveKilo
12-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Let the AC2 development team handle the storyline
Let AC3's animation and combat dev team handle the parkour, animations, and combat

Perfect mix for me.

Dev_Anj
12-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Okay.. seriously on another note. I want to facepalm everytime I read something about going back to AC2/ACB yeah I get they were fun. but I feel like people get stuck and are looking at those games with rose colored glasses! There is so much more! The game is about how the order comes into their lives and effects them!

I liked some of the additions in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but the Assassin Signal system was horribly unbalanced. The killstreaks atleast made fights go faster, but just made the already ridiculously easy combat even easier. Not to mention the crossbow being better than the throwing knife and pistol, making them largely redundant.

lothario-da-be
12-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I would release 2 games every year. And between the releases episodic dlc every month. Make for every release 3 different collector edition and give EVERY shop that exist something exclusive. I would ditch the modern day completly without any explanation. Further i would make the combat easier by only using QTE's. The first games will be: Connor sequel, Japan, Egypt and WW2. Also no more assassinations. You just run to your target and then a cutscene starts in wich the target gets killed as brutal as possible. That would be ac in the future for me. Sounds neat doesn't it?

edit: i forgot something important. In every game there will be more and more "social" stuff to make the game more immersive. It will be a bit MMO-ish. But in an ac style.

DarkDreamer95
12-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't understand about the issue with no closure for Desmond. He had loads of closure, and some very touching moments. I think they did a good job with it.

Did you hack all the computers?

Yeah, I did. I guess closure was the wrong word. I dunno, his death feels meaningless, it doesn't make sense to me - killing off a protagonist you've been building up for five games. I guess I expected a proper explanation of what happened and the immediate aftermath of his death or something. More present-day missions, while we're at it. AC IV was kind of a filler, present-day-wise.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
A game that takes you to Egypt and Japan and features the new protagonist reliving the memories of both Ezio and Connor using those memory discs from ACR... Ezio traveled to Japan and Connor traveled to Egypt. For reasons such as battle Templars and....Pieces of Eden.

Okay but for realsies.

1. Revamp social stealth: I'd keep the same basic idea of blending with crowds but would ramp it up like crazy but nothing complicated. For instance...I would make it so you could lose yourself in a crowd. I love the super quick low profile assassinations introduced in AC3 as well as the more dynamic blending but so much more can be done with it likeeee.... making it so during a chase, you get to a super busy street with a huge crowd. You've just assassinated a target and guards are chasing after you as you slip into the crowd. You're pushing your way through and behind you, you hear "He's gone into the crowd! Where are you, assassin!?" The guards start shoving people to the side while looking for you. Meanwhile, you veer off to the left when you see an alley way and you make your way toward it before exiting the crowd. Meanwhile, the guards are still making their way through the throng of people since they have no way of knowing if you left or not.

I'd call the idea "reverse blending" because unlike blending in WITH a crowd, you managed to get your pursuers to look for you in the large crowd and thus their line of sight to you has been broken... it's another example of hiding in plain sight in many ways, allowing you to stroll out of the crowd as they still search for you. One problem that has persisted with the series, at least until AC3, is the fact that if you were to hop into a crowd/bench/haystack/etc. but then back out -- guards would somehow telepathically home in on your location. Seriously, WTF.

So I'd tweak the social stealth a lot...give you more tactics with it whether it's providing you with reverse blending, making it so enemies won't magically know your location if you hop out of a haystack even if they're not in eyesight, give more options with how to use people, etc. One addition I'd like to see implemented is different NPC archetypes within the crowds, not just guards. People who will call the guards on you, people who might try and avoid conflict, those who will get into conflicts, etc. Shob -- I believe you mentioned this before about "tough guys" being used to cause a distraction by having them throw a punch at the closest person, thinking they were wrong by said other person -- pretty much exactly like that.

2. Revamp stealth in general: An assassin should have plenty of tools in his disposal. If a target is at a busy public area, social stealth should be one of, if not the single most important asset -- a way to hide in plain site. But what happens when a target is NOT in a public place but the assassination can't really wait? This is not an unrealistic idea and so an assassin should be able to utilize other tactics. I'm in no way suggesting anything such as a Hitman disguise system or a Splinter Cell light and shadow system BUT.... currently, the "restricted area" type missions where you can't be detected or whatever are pretty limited in what you can do.

I would nix the auto-cover as it presents a few issues, namely with parkour (not sure if it's been fixed in AC4 but in AC3, I've often been in cover and then want to run up the side of the wall I'm on, only to exit the cover and then immediately get back into cover if there's not enough room to let the game know I want to climb and NOT get into cover. For this, I'd include a full on cover system -- this would allow you to enter into cover when you want to, not when the game thinks you want to. It would also be more robust as it would allow you to duck into cover behind a crate or a lower object such as a desk. Whistling would return as a way to lure enemies of course.

This next idea also applies to social stealth as well but anyway... LAST KNOWN POSITION. I already touched on this a bit when I mentioned enemies wouldn't telepathically home in on your location and will only restart a chase if you are spotted. Well, this would be a huge factor... in past AC games, you'd dive into a haystack, wait 15 seconds or whatever until the chase is over and then hop back out. However, it won't end that same way anymore. Once you're out of eyesight, guards will begin to fan out, searching every hiding spot, going through crowds. You're on your toes: you can't sit still so your choices are to either sit and hope they give up before they reach your hiding location (keep in mind that they search for you longer than before and more thoroughly), get out and fight them, hope you can reach the roofs quickly and that no rooftop guards spot you... OR quickly weave in and out of the crowds to escape. But the duration lasts considerably longer than it used to. You can't just hop into a haystack and expect to be running freely again within 30 seconds. No, if you're caught, you have to keep moving or else they probably will find you.

During the "spread" as I call it where they begin searching every hiding place and crowd, more and more guards will become aware and will fan out. they will eventually give up of course but I want you to have to really utilize the crowds to escape. No longer is a haystack a perfect escape. It's a quick thing to utilize to get out of eyesight, wait for them to ponder where you went before entering their search and destroy phase, and then you best hop on out and rejoin the crowds of people. Think of the "search and destroy" phase as the hunter/panther loop in Splinter Cell Conviction/Blacklist -- IMO that kind of gameplay loop is PERFECT for AC and if applied to crowds and an open world environment...it could be awesome.

3. Lots of tweaks and changes: From overhauling the economy system so you're not a rolling millionaire who earns 80,000 every 20 minutes just for buying some stores to adding a TON of customization options -- a lot would be altered. My whole goal would be to "return AC to its roots" but more importantly, revamping almost every system.

So let's talk economy. I suppose I could gut it completely but I honestly think that with some tweaking... it could be fun. However... you would no longer earn money simply by finishing memories -- that makes absolutely no sense and is one of the most gamey things about the games. I'd keep the hub renovation like the villa and Homestead but I'd draw a bit from both AC2's simple "buy upgrades and you're done" and AC3's "complete a fun mission involving so and so to bring them into the area!" So first, you'd do some "hideout missions" which would be almost identical in set up to homestead missions. One girl would run the courtesan/prostitute building which will begin as a humble little building. There might be a rugged man with military background who will take up arms to defend the area -- again in a mostly quaint little structure. The rest would follow this: doctor, tailor, blacksmith, etc. You can then renovate each shop or building by going up to the specific building or into your house and activating a thing in there. You'll select to renovate it but before it can be renovated, you then complete another mission for that person. As you renovate, the buildings will become nicer, the stores will have more items in stock and for sale, etc. Eventually you'll get a small discount at each store but you will NOT get money for them simply existing. It's just a series of side missions for you to complete and there are other benefits too.

Things in general will be a bit more expensive than they used to be in the series and you'd get less money from things -- for instance... no more random treasure chests around cities, instead those will be relegated to caves, discreet locations, and places like a Templar Lair or Assassin Tomb. You'd have side missions where you do little tasks or jobs to earn money.

As for customization: lots. I'd combine AC4's different types of outfits (British politician/officer outfit and variants, default robes and variants, cloaks, pirate outfits, hunting clothes, etc. along with the dying options from the Ezio Trilogy. Unlike AC4 where each outfit had about 3-4 variants, give or take, and that was it...there would only be one outfit of each. So instead of an officer, politician, and governor outfit (or whatever they're called) there would only be a "British Official" outfit. By default it'd be , let's say, blue... but then you could dye it using a vast array of dyes from Assassin White to British Scarlet to Spanish Crimson to Pirate Black, etc. There'd be multiple different outfit types: default robes, another outfit that fits the time period, hunting outfits, etc. but each one would be possible to dye.

Adding to this, tailors would also sell different outfit parts. For instance, you could purchase different types of hoods: Standard Hood -- a basic hood like Edward's, Assassin Closed Hood -- a hood with a small oval opening that is tight around the head and features the signature Assassin beak and is similar to Altair's, Assassin Opened Hood -- a hood that flares out and is more loose around the head that features the signature Assassin beak and is similar to Ezio's or Connor's. That way you really would have a lot more control over how you look. You'd have different outfits to choose (for example, if this was in AC4, you could choose to have a British officer outfit and color it black if you wish OR you could have the default outfit and color it primarily white with red accents and a beaked hood...and, you'd be able to take your hood off at any time, be it with a button or in a menu.

In other words, picture how in Blacklist you can really customize the aesthetics of Sam -- now add more dyes and the like and you have a good idea of what you'd be able to do at your hideout to equip your character...and yes: you would be able to unequip and equip weapons you dislike or like at will -- go into the city carrying nothing? Go into the city with nothing but your fists, justice, and non-lethal gadgets so you can play around like a historical Batman? Go in armed with a bunch of weapons to start slashing guards up? You can!!! If you really dislike the bow or crossbow or blowpipe you got during Sequence 7, Memory 2 or whatever, get rid of it and equip something else.

4. Setting: Alright, I think Japan *might* make a good setting and find people who disregard the idea as more annoying than all the people who constantly bring it up. That said, I honestly have no idea what the cities would have been like and they might have been pretty small with wide streets, and all around pi$$ poor for parkour for all I know. My biggest goal when it comes to setting would be to have a setting which could easily and logically be made fun to free run around without stretching it TOOOOOO much and that could be utilized for a good story and fun historical references. If Japan DID have nice cities then I'm all for it because it would look and feel different to all the architecture from the previous games. But... China would also fit that bill as many Chinese and Japanese structures share similar traits (rooftops for example) so I honestly don't care all that much. It'd just be nice to get out of the European angle and I think Asia is a decent safe bet with some cool cultures and histories.

Really, the reason Japan sounds good is BECAUSE of the cliche ninja angle -- they could take the cliche and turn it on its head. Instead of making stereotypical martial art, almost supernatural ninja B.S. hollywood and most games portray (seriously...ninja gaiden... WTF.) they could make them act much more in line with the Assassins from the series. Instead of crazy martial arts, they just do the most effective attacks they can. Also an unlockable suit of a famous samurai who was also an Assassin would be pretty awesome. All that said though... China might be better as based on things such as the Great Wall and other images I've seen, China probably had far larger cities and cities better built for parkour during various stages of history and it fits the bill for different architecture and no european influence. So China might actually be much better. Also it would save the Japan haters from groaning at the announcement haha.

However...there is ONE European setting I would not be devastated to see for AC5 and probably the one I'd make: Elizabethan England. I know lots want Victorian England but between Dishonored and Thief which both use, essentially, Victorian England as their settings with steampunk influence and are stealth games... AC, another stealth game, should shy away from it. ESPECIALLY since Dishonored is a game about a hooded assassin as well. It's also just too far forward IMO. I'm already tired of the 1700s (sorry French Revolution but no) and the 1800s are even worse. Maybe eventually we can get to it but by that time we have revolvers, gatling guns, etc. Too much modern weaponry IMOfor my tastes. Once you can fire off 6 shots in succession you start to get into shooter mode.

Elizabethan England, with added viewpoint towers and extra bits to enhance the gameplay/parkour even if it's not quite 85-90% accurate, I think the cities would be great. But it could also be set up similarly to AC2 without being just a straight copy.. You'd get to meet and interact with Shakespeare -- perhaps his son, Hamnet is killed by a Templar (for some reason) thus allowing for a justification for his willingness to help the Assassins -- Bill Shakespeare's own death could be Templar-related as well (which would be sad if you go the whole game with your good pal Shakespeare only for him to be killed off by a Templar) or perhaps he's unaffiliated entirely, climb the Globe Theatre and later escape it as it's burned down by Templars, participate in the Gunpowder Plot with Guy Fawkes and the other members who are all part of the Assassin Brotherhood (this is PERFECT since it's an actual failed ASSASSINATION attempt) and watch as the plan goes horribly wrong and be one of the few Assassins who escapes without being caught (poor Fawkes...), Queen Elizabeth I (she DID hold an Apple according to AC2...), other Tudors, travel to Stonehenge and find that it's connected to the First Civiliation*, etc. It'd feel similar to AC2 due to being the Renaissance but it's not quite the same thing -- England and Italy's Renaissance occurred around a hundred years apart and late 1500/early 1600s England is quite a bit different to late 1400/early 1500s Italy but they'd share a similar feeling without feeling like just another Ezio game.

*I'd personally keep the sci fi aspect but minimize it immensely. It's best when something like TWCB are mysterious. So it'd be obvious that underneath Stonehenge is a First Civilization thing but I wouldn't pound it into your face like the recent AC games have. It's there, they existed, they're mysterious, and no; it will raise more questions. Because curiosity is a great thing and to realize that perhaps Assassins and Templars aren't the only thing and there might be something far larger is interesting... but once you answer what that thing is... it will almost certainly not hold up to expectations.

So basically, following your rules that I'm master of the franchise for a week, I'd go ahead and make Eliziabethan England as ACV...coming 2015. I'd also create a mandate that the next AC game must be set in a non-European locale, preferably somewhere in Asia such as China.

RinoTheBouncer
12-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I’d create a game similar to AC: Brahman. Focusing both on historical and present day missions and giving them both the same importance, quality and entertaining gameplay. Maybe not a 50:50 but definitely a considerable amount of 3rd person, present day missions that vary from exploration, delivery and assassination missions, hacking (instead of eavesdropping), and at first using technology to track down enemies and as the assassin uses the animus more, he starts to gain Eagle Sight and get more experienced, just like Desmond but in a more expansive way.

The historical portion would be something prior to Altair. I’d go for the Sumerian civilization or even before. Maybe after the Toba catastrophe, playing as Adam or Eve. Or we could go to Egypt or Japan. I don’t have one era fixed in mind but I think going towards the Middle East or the Far East or even in Africa as that’s where Eden was located would be pretty interesting. I’d love add some elements from AC:R where the assassin finds Memory Disks and that’s how we get to see the revolution of Adam and Eve.

The gameplay, I will try my best to bring the majority of the interesting features and abilities from the past games, new fighting skills, a variety of weapons and assassination styles and give a story or a useful achievement after collecting some items like the Mayan Stelae, for example rather than just collecting 100 objects only to unlock a Trophy. I’ll make sure that there are many to kill a target and that the game, as a whole is interesting AND smart to play and follow. There will be puzzles, there will be exposed fighting and stealth assassinations, and there will be a heavy focus on the story, on conspiracy theories, on assassins and templars and the First Civilization as well. And I will make the game more like ACIII and AC:R when it comes to handling assassins and templars and their beliefs and goals and it will be in a way where you feel like the game is not taking sides but rather showing you the ideas, the struggle, the fighting and the different points of view rather than have a fairy tale set of villains where you just look and say “Oh yeah let’s kill the bad guys and we’re done”. So you’ll see more villains like Haytham and Al-Mualim than Cesare.

I’m ok with showing other factions or groups like the Ninja or Pirates but I will not make them the main part of the story. They can aid the assassins or the templars..etc. but I’ll make sure that the game will focus on the assassins and templars as assassins and templars and of course show the disguise they hide behind like Abstergo in present day.

And last, I will make sure that either AC and Watch Dogs are two names of one universe and story or they’re two different things and remain that way. So either they go hand in hand in story so that AC is entirely historical and WD is entirely modern day or just separate them totally without doing the “Ok, AC won’t have much modern day, but you can enjoy a similar style in Watch Dogs”, NEVER.

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
First... Haytham was never actually switched? Edward died when haytham was about to turn 10 then He was taken under the wing of Reginald Birch as a child and entered the Templar Order... (Read Forsaken)

okay first I would say..

we take a look at games like TLoU, Tomb Raider, and get more interactive, change up a few things there. by making it gritty and intense. like you're really fighting.

no more year releases! I like having a new AC every year.. but it makes it suffer at the same time.

I say take it to THE STONE AGE. Add in some dinosaurs, cats with lasers, and a unicorn and you get a recipe for success!
Totally agree!! Especially bolded. (I think we always agree actually! lol) XD

Oh and the 'cats with lasers'. Now this must happen! Also the prehistoric squirrel from Ice Age.

AssassinHMS
12-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I would release 2 games every year. And between the releases episodic dlc every month. Make for every release 3 different collector edition and give EVERY shop that exist something exclusive. I would ditch the modern day completly without any explanation. Further i would make the combat easier by only using QTE's. The first games will be: Connor sequel, Japan, Egypt and WW2. Also no more assassinations. You just run to your target and then a cutscene starts in wich the target gets killed as brutal as possible. That would be ac in the future for me. Sounds neat doesn't it?

edit: i forgot something important. In every game there will be more and more "social" stuff to make the game more immersive. It will be a bit MMO-ish. But in an ac style.

Haha, you are one with Ubisoft! Nicely said!!

MnemonicSyntax
12-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I did. I guess closure was the wrong word. I dunno, his death feels meaningless, it doesn't make sense to me - killing off a protagonist you've been building up for five games. I guess I expected a proper explanation of what happened and the immediate aftermath of his death or something. More present-day missions, while we're at it. AC IV was kind of a filler, present-day-wise.

He saved the entire world from essentially starting over and having people fight over his name like he's some sort of god.

It's fairly easy to find out what happened, Rebecca and Shaun are trying to locate information on Desmond after they and Bill escaped the Temple. Bill went into hiding to mourn the loss of his son. Juno was released but isn't "ready" (which that part I didn't get, she's been waiting in that Temple for....forever)

And, there's lots of new plot twists as well, as they now have John from IT's DNA sample.

shobhit7777777
12-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Interesting stuff so far....for those who haven't posted....do so soon...I'll be announcing the Overlord award winners (yes winners) coming Wed. You can wear it on your SIg I suppose.

@Bob

Dude, can you break down your points into paras? Its easier to read then. Thanks in advance

@Pirate
hehe.

What would I do?

1. Pass a decree that ALL protagonists of the AC franchise shall bear my name and likeness.
2. Skim a lot of money...somehow
3. Before getting kicked out, grab some classified info on the next project...sell it to "interested third party"
4. Change AC canon to erase that twit Desmond completely....and also completely remove the modern day nonsense
5. Enforce a rule where any developer who mentioned the following features will be flogged -
- platforming
- puzzles
- "Exotic" gameplay
- glyphs
- TWCB
- Modern day
- piece of eden
6. Promote all developers who mention "assassin sim" in the same sentence as "future of AC"
7. Make AC into an assassin sim
8. Find and destroy the tumblr fan groups using Ubisoft's vast resources. Seriously, that stuff is sick.

AC SHALL FOREVER BEAR MY MARK!

Did I mention that all hoodies will have bat-ears?

roostersrule2
12-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Discontinue all copies of AC3.

Make AC3 discs somehow not work and all downloaded copies deleted.

Cover up AC3 as if it never happened.

Also I would make an AC sitcom.

pacmanate
12-08-2013, 06:57 PM

This idea almost revivals my putting AC on hold idea.

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Nah I think they should discontinue AC2 instead and make three more sequels to AC3 in platinum and diamond discs. :D
Yes, I want to see tearz.

shobhit7777777
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM

You just won. 2 more awards left.

AssassinHMS
12-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I would make sure that the next AC game would have the following:

In terms of gameplay:
Open world (smaller than AC4 BF) entirely open, entirely seamless (no cutscenes or loading screens) and entirely explorable (interior of buildings from small houses to cathedrals).
I would set the primary goal of the game to be: improve the core mechanics immensely, balance them and restore the entire Assassinís Creed concept while making it fresh and fun.
Free-roam:
I want free-roam to be as engaging and intense as missions, in other words, I want free-roam to be thrilling and interactive. To accomplish that, I would add random events that can appear anytime and anywhere, that are unlimited (as many of them reoccur after a certain amount of time, just like in RDR). Every random event, side mission is tied to the assassinís creed formula although some are lighter than others.
Examples of said random events that use the fully explorable world as well as original AC concepts would be: (see inside spoiler)
While in free-roam, by using shadow/light stealth, the player could approach a random group of NPCs, talking to each other, undetected. Then, if the player so desires, he can stick around and eavesdrop on the conversation. This would trigger a random event where, the NPCs would start talking about possessing a treasure or some valuables hidden inside their house. After completing the eavesdropping, the player could tail that NPC and discover the location of said house. In order to avoid detection, as well as a conflict with an innocent person, the player could break in (by entering through an open window or by pickpocketing the NPC's key. Once inside, the player would find his way to the valuables and steal them. In some cases, among the valuables, there could be a letter that would mention the person who gave those valuables to the NPC and the reasons behind it. It could be, for example, that the NPC was working for a Templar and the valuables were in fact a reward for some job. This would lead to an assassination mission (previously locked) where the objective is to eliminate the Templar threat.
Random NPCs roaming the streets that are in fact Templars or people who work for them (from priests to beggars). Imagine youíre wondering around, just exploring the city, when you notice a priest passing nearby. If you look carefully, you will notice a Templar cross and, if you use eagle vision, he will be marked in golden. By tailing the target through the streets, you will eventually arrive at some church. Inside you follow the priest while using crowds and shadows to remain undetected until he leads you to a secluded place and uses a lever which unveils a hidden passage. After he ďvanishesĒ, you pull the same lever and, as the secret door closes behind you, you start to hear the sound of people whispering. As you delve deeper into what appears to be a tomb, you discover that you are in a Templarís hideout. There you can eavesdrop on the meeting (if you wish), or you can deal with the threat. Those who want to simply walk right in and expose themselves can do so, but will have to face more enemies at once, while those who choose the stealth path, can take down the guards silently, leaving the Templars unprotected. Then, it would only be a matter of interrupting the meeting and make sure none of the Templars escapes.

These random events are connected to side missions (such as assassination missions). This way every mission has a background and a sense of fluidity (no more assassination missions where the target and all the information is handed out to you). Assassination missions would be ranked according to their level of challenge and the ones in the top would require the most thought and planning put into them in order to avoid getting spotted.
I want to stress that there is no penalty in being spotted other than the actual problem of being spotted. The player doesnít desynchronize as long as he stays alive.

General idea:
For ACV I donít want the typical story and protagonist where he is this badass person with said ideals and we follow his adventures and deal with his choices.
I want a progressive story where at first we donít know anything about the assassin. At first, all we know is that he is an Assassin.
The story is, in a simplistic way, a set of assassination targets that must be carried out. However, all we know is the name of the person to be killed. We donít know the motif, we donít know the location or any details about the target. It is our job to find out. In order to do so, we need to explore the streets as the information is everywhere (on the blood sprayed on the floor, inside peopleís pockets, in brothels, in alleys, etc. The player must investigate, wonder the city, tail suspects, notice the details, bribe people, hire goons, spy on peopleís lives, etc. The objective is to follow a trail of blood, corruption, secrets and money to the person responsible (the target). It is this journey that shows the motifs behind the target's assassination. Throughout the investigation many things happen (accidents happen, secrets are uncovered, other conspiracies arise, etc.), these other plots develop into side missions that are unlocked as you uncover them.
Notice that these investigations have nothing to do with the ones seen in previous ACs, they are fleshed out, they require undercover jobs (as a mercenary, thief, priest, customer of places of ill repute, etc. which offer variety and completely different activities), spying on dangerous people, exchange favors, and are filled with mystery, suspense and action. In the end, this is a real detective job only, assassin style.
Once satisfied with the information gathered (location of the target, reasons behind the deed, etc.), the player can prepare himself by going to the hideout (select the gear more appropriate for the mission and according to the playerís style) and make all arrangements (get your connections to work for you, such as telling a group of courtesans to be in the front door of where the target lives and seduce the guards at the assassinís signal, or talk to a group of mercenaries to take out some guards and take their place, get an alchemist to design a special poison for the event, etc.). Based on the investigations, the player can draw a plan (like: use courtesans to distract guards, steal key, unlock back door, make way to the kitchen, poison the meal, make sure the plan works and that target is indeed dead, get to the roof as guards will be blocking all exits after the murder has been participated, exit through a window and perform a leap of faith to safety).
Every time the player completes a main assassination mission, he will be rewarded, not only with a higher rank among the brotherhood, but with ďmemory synch missionsĒ. Every time the assassin takes out a target, he reflects upon his actions, upon the targetís final words if there were any) and about his purpose (as an assassin and as an individual). These reflections unlock these missions (that the player can complete any time after they have been unlocked) that show bits of the protagonists life such as important events or occurrences that change our perspective about what kind of person he/she is and what the reasons behind becoming an Assassin.
However, in the end it is the playerís choices that dictate the assassinís fate and moral (who is innocent and who isnít, what is considered more important, peopleís lives or what we believe to be the greater good?). Anyway, most missions require the player to make choices that change the way people judge the protagonistís actions.

As for the setting, I would also choose Spain.

As for the changes I would make in the whole franchise:
- Development period must never be inferior to 3 years;
- A gap of two years between every major instalment;
- The gameplay must be developed around the core mechanics, which have to be balanced and constantly evolving. All of the core mechanics must be deep, challenging and fun;
- The story must be centered on the Assassin/Templar conflict and history must be the background and never be allowed to take hold of the story or of the gameplay;
- More customization options such as the ability to remove weapons, the ability to combine different clothing pieces; the ability to put the hood up and down anywhere and anytime the player wants. Gameplay customization where we can select different difficulty levels and many other settings (cost of every product (from outfits to weapons), only weapons available being the hidden blade and throwing knives, weight limit, etc.)
- Focus on making an experience filled with mystery, conspiracies and the Assassinís Creed spark. Create a fitting atmosphere that further enhances these concepts along with terrific music (more like Jesper Kyd and less like Hollywood movies).

Anyway, I think these are the main changes I would make. Iíd probably fire some people, but Iíd first like to give them a try before making a final decision.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Totally agree!! Especially bolded. (I think we always agree actually! lol) XD

Oh and the 'cats with lasers'. Now this must happen! Also the prehistoric squirrel from Ice Age.

Thank you silver you totally get it! :D haha!

also I'm pretty sure we do always agree! Also I'm loving the ice age squirrel idea!

Landruner
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
You've been chosen to run the AC dept. You have COMPLETE control (Job title: Overlord) over the franchise...how? Because I'm Batman and I said so.

You have ONE WEEK = 7 days before they come to their senses and kick you the hell out.

All your decisions and ideas will stay however....this is permanent.

What do you do?

GOOOOOOOO!

Rules:

1. Mention Japan and you're out of the running for "Best Chief Executive Overlord" award
2. Mention Egypt...same as above
3. Mention Connor...same as above
4. Mention Ezio...same as above

I think if I was in charge of any AC

1 - I would be focusing on the gameplay and a pool of innovative ideas from a pool of video gamers, users & fans of the series in order to consider ideas for the new IP before even picking the time and locations, and then once I stop my mind about the time period and locations I try to see what it is possible to execute properly with the ideas of gameplay(s) I got from that pool considering general gameplay, stealth (social & environmental), combat system, AI(s) mission designs, structure and location designs.

2 - What could be possible to exploit with the time period will be tested by players to actually have a logical exploitation of it, and not just a designer idea and execution (Example what sounds great on paper, is not always working so well in games) what is not possible to exploit among the pool of idea will be re-evaluated in order for seeing if new ideas can come from it with the time and location (Most of time some original ideas generate some other ideas and so one).

3 - I will then stop the all set for being sure that the all the pieces of gameplay(s) combined work together and be equal in order to give the maximum of satisfaction to the players and fans of the series and then excelling any point possible of this time period in order that player do not thing they are just there as a tourist but relay thing being involved with the environment of the situations.

4 - I then build the story regarding the gameplay and the time and location setting. I take in consideration and exploitation of the development for the story to build twist, plot, and interesting development in order to get the player hooked to my story almost to the point of an addiction - (Player do not follow the story because they have to, but really because they need to know what comes next a bit like some episode of popular TV shows).

5 - I make sure that the main missions are separate and none of them look like the same previously played, and also make sure that the design of the mission offers a trill in the gameplay because of their designation and the things to do inside those missions.

6- I make sure that the secondary points of the gameplay (Fraction missions and side missions) are also related to the main story without being compulsory for the player to do (They are complementary and the fact of doing those give you information or complementariness to the main stories and rewards, but for the players that want to skip those it won't affect their gameplay)

7 - I make sure that the third points of the gameplay ( side activities, meta games, monopolies mini games, and collection missions) be variable, offering a lot of different variant and that the collection are not there for expending the length of the game, but rewarding are sometimes more challenging)

8 - For the challenge objectives for synchronization during mission, I will keep those but try to orient them for a second replay feature because most of time those secondary objectives are the main focus of the players and they actually either don't care of the action and mission orientation because they focus on those complementary challenge instead, or players feel limited in their actions because they want to respect those objectives the first time (Example, you want to kill any guard through your way, but the secondary objective says kill no one) - In fact I see that the first time you play the way you want, and get 50% of the synchronization for just doing mission, then you can replay the same mission (any time you want) with some special objective(s) to get your DNA up to 100%, but you are not bugged or concern by those synchronization objective the first time you play the missions.

adventurewomen
12-08-2013, 10:03 PM
One thing I would do if I were in charge is to bring back Connor and give him the sequel he deserves! :)

Shahkulu101
12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
One thing I would do if I were in charge is to bring back Connor and give him the sequel he deserves! :)

What with the poor general reception and all

adventurewomen
12-08-2013, 10:16 PM
I would make sure that his character was better defined story from the first few moments of Connor's sequel, that way general fans would understand him better . I'd like to see Connor rebuild the American Brotherhood as it's hinted in the Aveline DLC & Liberation.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 10:19 PM

actually Connor won best VG character in a poll done somewhere I believe. and the vote had over 1 million votes in it.

I just think the ones that didn't like Connor made their voices heard the loudest.

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 10:20 PM
actually Connor won best VG character in a poll done somewhere I believe. and the vote had over 1 million votes in it.

I just think the ones that didn't like Connor made their voices heard the loudest.

I agree with you, as usual! :p My thoughts exactly.

N7 Banshee Bait
12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Rules:

Sorry man, I'm a huge Tenchu fan & since that franchise is pretty much dead my only hope is for 1 Assassin's Creed that takes place in feudal Japan. That's as close as I'm ever going to get to a really awesome Tenchu game. The Tenchu games always had crappy graphics so I really want one that looks as awesome as AC. Every time I play AC I think of Tenchu anyway so why not? Give me 1 AC in Japan & then you can do whatever you want after that.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with you, as usual! :p My thoughts exactly.

we are totally in sync! today! :D

with our powers combined!

Landruner
12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Sorry man, I'm a huge Tenchu fan & since that franchise is pretty much dead my only hope is for 1 Assassin's Creed that takes place in feudal Japan. That's as close as I'm ever going to get to a really awesome Tenchu game. The Tenchu games always had crappy graphics so I really want one that looks as awesome as AC. Every time I play AC I think of Tenchu anyway so why not? Give me 1 AC in Japan & then you can do whatever you want after that.

The 2 first Tenchu were the greatest in my opinion! they even had that mission generators that they dropped for the third Tenchu for PS2....
Note: The first Tenchu Japanese Edition has 2 more missions (10 missions total) and that mission generator, which that the US/EU do not have)

After they went really bad Tenchu Z which is really bad, (the control are horrible on that one) however; I wish UBISOFT could take some pieces of gameplay from this franchise to combine with AC gameplay, it could be interesting combination.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-09-2013, 01:05 AM
@Bob

Dude, can you break down your points into paras? Its easier to read then. Thanks in advance

No. Okay, I lied -- I did. I was tired, okay!?

Anyway, It should be easier to read now haha

flamesium
12-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Start a new story arc beginning in Paris with the French Revolution and leading through the Napoleonic Wars.

Alternate between a traditional city-based AC and a naval / more outdoorsy AC to help keep things fresh and give each team more time to make improvements and implement new ideas.

Make the Assassin/Templar conflict less black and white and don't be afraid to let the player experience it from both sides. The Templars could be a little more nuanced than pantomime villains and playing as the side trying to manipulate world powers / events would be just as fun as playing the side trying to stop them. Playing as multiple characters (ie. an Assassin and a Templar) in the same game could work very well.

Dev_Anj
12-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Interesting stuff so far....for those who haven't posted....do so soon...I'll be announcing the Overlord award winners (yes winners) coming Wed. You can wear it on your SIg I suppose.

@Bob

@Pirate
hehe.

What would I do?

1. Pass a decree that ALL protagonists of the AC franchise shall bear my name and likeness.
2. Skim a lot of money...somehow
3. Before getting kicked out, grab some classified info on the next project...sell it to "interested third party"
4. Change AC canon to erase that twit Desmond completely....and also completely remove the modern day nonsense
5. Enforce a rule where any developer who mentioned the following features will be flogged -
- platforming
- puzzles

Oh come on, you can have good platforming in an Assassin's Creed game. It's just that the context sensitive controls and mechanics don't suit it. What's wrong with puzzles, they can put good puzzles if they tried.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Start a new story arc beginning in Paris with the French Revolution and leading through the Napoleonic Wars.

While the French Revolution could be interesting... we JUST had another revolutionary game, AC3. Furthermore... we've also had AC4...both of which are set in the 1700s. ANOTHER 1700s game will make me want to smash my head into a wall. AC used to jump around hundreds of years -- AC1 was during the 1100s or thereabouts, AC2 was in the 1480s-1500s, AC was in the 1770s. All of a sudden, AC4 just had to go and make ANOTHER 1700s game. I respect your opinion, just saying... I'd rather they take a break and come back to the 1700s (and another revolution-based games) later.

Alternate between a traditional city-based AC and a naval / more outdoorsy AC to help keep things fresh and give each team more time to make improvements and implement new ideas.

Don't AC3 AND AC4 already do this? Both have naval aspects, outdoor/natural environments, and cities. Not sure how this is different to what AC currently does...

Make the Assassin/Templar conflict less black and white and don't be afraid to let the player experience it from both sides. The Templars could be a little more nuanced than pantomime villains and playing as the side trying to manipulate world powers / events would be just as fun as playing the side trying to stop them. Playing as multiple characters (ie. an Assassin and a Templar) in the same game could work very well.

Again...this isn't anything new.... Both AC1 and AC3 made Templars a lot less "evil" and more like a different ideology. It was only during the Ezio trilogy that the Templars were pure evil and even the Templars regard that time period as a dark period in their history. Not sure how AC4 handles Assassins and Templars but regardless... I do like when it's less black and white though unfortunately, the games with my favorite gameplay have been the Ezio ones where the villains are, well, villainous through and through.

shobhit7777777
12-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Oh come on, you can have good platforming in an Assassin's Creed game. It's just that the context sensitive controls and mechanics don't suit it. What's wrong with puzzles, they can put good puzzles if they tried.

No

Platforming and puzzles cheapen the narrative and the gameplay. They are a tired and unimaginative exploitation of the free-running and climbing.....so obvious a feature that it borders on being pedestrian.

The ability to climb anywhere in an urban environment is a fantastic element. Designer made sequences meant solely for platforming dismantles the strength of the feature - dynamism, well camouflaged freedom of movement - and makes it a cheap traversal puzzle.....something so unoriginal and derivative that not only is the least bit challenging but also a ****ing immersion breaker for players like me who are looking for immersion and authenticity.

You might be fine with the banal use of a brilliant mechanic.....I can't stand it.

Puzzles, Glyphs, Platforming, Tombs - what a ****ing joke. I see them as the dilution of the the initial concept.

Platforming and Puzzles are to Assassin's Creed, what "Accidents" were to Hitman: Absolution. I am vehemently opposed to tired, ****ty ideas.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 01:56 PM
You might be fine with the banal use of a brilliant mechanic.....I can't stand it.

Ha, that's funny because I find the tombs to be a brilliant use of a banal mechanic. The reason they fell a bit flat was that parkour is fully automatic. But I like the idea structured platfroming in indoor environments. They're like a diorama, a look at something different, in which the artists can excel. They also work as a breather from the rest of the content. No guards, no npcs, no stress (the ideas to add guards and/or time limits to some of the tombs were dumb). I felt the underwater could have taken over this role, but some ***-hat decided to fill it with sharks.

Will_Lucky
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
1. decree that all future AC games would have a gap of atleast two-and-half years.

You have no idea how many people you've just put out of work. AC games are already made on a 2.5 year scale, they virtually have three teams on the go at once. At this point in time the next title is deep in development due for next year, its successor has started development creating assets, gameplay ect. And the third title will soon or already has just entered pre-production focusing on Story, concept, research ect.

The Assassins Creed titles are designed years before release already. What you've proposed would essentially dissolve studios and put a lot of people out of work.

flamesium
12-09-2013, 05:40 PM
While the French Revolution could be interesting... we JUST had another revolutionary game, AC3. Furthermore... we've also had AC4...both of which are set in the 1700s. ANOTHER 1700s game will make me want to smash my head into a wall. AC used to jump around hundreds of years -- AC1 was during the 1100s or thereabouts, AC2 was in the 1480s-1500s, AC was in the 1770s. All of a sudden, AC4 just had to go and make ANOTHER 1700s game. I respect your opinion, just saying... I'd rather they take a break and come back to the 1700s (and another revolution-based games) later.

Don't AC3 AND AC4 already do this? Both have naval aspects, outdoor/natural environments, and cities. Not sure how this is different to what AC currently does...

Again...this isn't anything new.... Both AC1 and AC3 made Templars a lot less "evil" and more like a different ideology. It was only during the Ezio trilogy that the Templars were pure evil and even the Templars regard that time period as a dark period in their history. Not sure how AC4 handles Assassins and Templars but regardless... I do like when it's less black and white though unfortunately, the games with my favorite gameplay have been the Ezio ones where the villains are, well, villainous through and through.

The anti-revolution thing seems pretty arbitrary to me, and you can't really avoid them in a game series which is effectively about the Illuminati and the group trying to resist them. I'd expect the similarities between AC3 and a game set in Paris during the French revolution to be limited.

AC3 and AC4 I would both put in the naval / natural environment category. I'm saying they should aim to alternate between making a game from that category and then a traditional urban AC, rather than continuing to mash the two ideas together until everybody is sick of it.

The Templar/Assassin conflict could be made far more morally ambiguous than it is right now. I'd disagree with your assessment that the Templars in AC1 and AC3 are much more nuanced than pantomime villains. They are somewhat interesting characters at the beginning of AC3, but only until the second you stop playing as Haytham and then they immediately revert to twirling their moustaches and hatching evil schemes. That said, it's really the Assassins which need to be portrayed a little more questionably - given the death and chaos they seem to cause wherever they go, it's kinda ridiculous that they are just accepted as obviously being the good guys.

shobhit7777777
12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I felt the underwater could have taken over this role, but some ***-hat decided to fill it with sharks

The only thing I can agree with you on.

If you want a breather....drink tea or something.

DAMMM YOU CASUALS!!!

luckyto
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Step One: Overhaul Combat. Combat would work like a blend of ACI and ACIII combat, to capture the mass killing and fluid aspects of ACIII while adding difficulty from AC1 and minimizing AC1's negatives.

Attack button brings back quick light attacks and long heavy attacks like AC1. Grab (O) does a human shield and Dodge (X) does a quick side-step. Counter returns to High Profile Button (R1). ACIII counter moves would be added ... Counter + Grab throws to the ground, Counter + Dodge kicks and stuns enemy, Counter + Attack creates a heavy attack or finishing move. A blend of AC1 and ACIII.
The game will auto-lock like ACIII when combat begins --- removing the need to do so as in ACI and ACII.
Combos (Guard Breaks) would come back with AC1-similar timing. An effective combo (three perfectly timed hits) would be an instant kill, and only from an effective combo, could you begin a chain-kill. This would encourage offensive play.
Chain-kills only begin with an effective combo (not off a counter). Once they begin, they could be continued in the same manner they are in ACIII. Through effective single strikes or timed counters.
Counter window would be tightened - especially the hidden blade which would be reduced to AC1's timing window (or shorter).
Up to two enemies will attack at once, but do not attack mid-animation (which they do in Black Flag to great annoyance.)
Minimal progression system of few weapons which would be based on increase in health, increased counter window and increased timing window for combos.
Chases and escapes work the same as AC1 and ACIV.

Step Two: Get rid of archetypes as we know it.

All guards would be capable of every type of attack with various probabilities of attempting it. Just like AC1, any guard might grab you, dodge or counter your attack. Elite guards would simply have a higher probability of doing so than other guards and greater health. No more brutes or agiles. This keeps combat always unpredictable and forces the player to react rather than predict.

Step Three: Overhaul AI.

Random respawning patrols will return like AC1, but with less frequency..
In combat, reinforcement will arrive over time. First with ground guards, and eventually with a sniper, followed by many snipers (guards with ranged weapons.) This will force the player to fight offensively and not turtle. Drag the fight on too long, and the rooftops will fill with more snipers than the player can manage - leaving no choice but to break and run.
Guards will be more investigative. They will tail you if you act suspicious, they will fully investigate hidden areas, and call for a helper if they see you in a restricted area before blending. Spotted by a guard in a restricted area? He will call over a buddy to check the brushes. This will force true stealth in situations that need true stealth to be believable.

Step Four: A new notoriety system. Basically, if you kill a lot of people, you won't be ignored 2 minutes later; nor do you have to bribe people or tear down posters - as if that wipes memories.

Notoriety system will return with levels similar to safe, wanted and notorious. Extended combat or assassinations generate notorious status in a city/map location just like today. Notorious status results in instant combat if spotted by a guard.
Wanted status means that guards will be suspicious of you in plain sight. Escaping to a hiding spot after becoming notorious will only reduce you to wanted status.
Incognito status will achieved based on time spent out of notorious status. After escaping combat (notorious), the player will have to spend an extended period of time in wanted status before guards will completely ignore him (Incognito status.) Time is the only thing that wipes memories in the real world.
Hiding spots have varying degrees of success based on notoriety. For example, blend groups will not work in notorious status but bushes or haybales will. The game will use a wide variety of hiding spots (Black Flag did a good job of this.)
Whistling will return, as will Prostitutes and Thieves for distraction methods.

Step Five: Free-running

High Profile (jog) and High Profile + X (free run) will return to two buttons instead of one. Merging the two has simply created too many glitches and reduced player flexibility.
The speed of climbing and tree-running will return from ACIII/ACIV.

Step Six: Minimalized HUD and reduced "arcadey" elements. Deepen the immersion.

HUD will be designed to be less obtrusive. Highlighting chests or people will also be less obtrovise.
Arcade sounds such a a honk when seen by guards will also be eliminated, and replaced with audible cues in the form of dialogue or simply more immersive.

Step Seven: Maps. The right size and mix.

Three cities each about 10% larger than Havana/Florence and each with a slightly different architecture connected with a large wilderness or free roam area that is dotted with smaller locations. Black Flag's was just about perfect.
Tombs in some shape or form which reward Elite Weapons.

Step Eight: The best collectibles and side missions.

Black Flag is the model for excellence. Everything should make sense and serve the story. Although I would bring back lock-breaking for chests in the cities.
Bring back Glyph or more bizarre type of collectibles which tie in to Templar/Assassins.
Eliminate the Facebook mini-game and relocate it to Companion iPad app.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 09:09 PM
The only thing I can agree with you on.

If you want a breather....drink tea or something.

DAMMM YOU CASUALS!!!

TEA, you damn casual Indian drinkers. It ought to be a bottle of Swedish snaps!

Shahkulu101
12-09-2013, 09:21 PM
TEA, you damn casual Indian drinkers. It ought to be a bottle of Swedish snaps!

Is Koppaberg Swedish? Because that stuff is ****ing awesome.

Sushiglutton
12-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Is Koppaberg Swedish? Because that stuff is ****ing awesome.

It is, they're sponsoring the local women soccer team :).

UKassassinsfan
12-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Step One: Overhaul Combat. Combat would work like a blend of ACI and ACIII combat, to capture the mass killing and fluid aspects of ACIII while adding difficulty from AC1 and minimizing AC1's negatives.

Attack button brings back quick light attacks and long heavy attacks like AC1. Grab (O) does a human shield and Dodge (X) does a quick side-step. Counter returns to High Profile Button (R1). ACIII counter moves would be added ... Counter + Grab throws to the ground, Counter + Dodge kicks and stuns enemy, Counter + Attack creates a heavy attack or finishing move. A blend of AC1 and ACIII.
The game will auto-lock like ACIII when combat begins --- removing the need to do so as in ACI and ACII.
Combos (Guard Breaks) would come back with AC1-similar timing. An effective combo (three perfectly timed hits) would be an instant kill, and only from an effective combo, could you begin a chain-kill. This would encourage offensive play.
Chain-kills only begin with an effective combo (not off a counter). Once they begin, they could be continued in the same manner they are in ACIII. Through effective single strikes or timed counters.
Counter window would be tightened - especially the hidden blade which would be reduced to AC1's timing window (or shorter).
Up to two enemies will attack at once, but do not attack mid-animation (which they do in Black Flag to great annoyance.)
Minimal progression system of few weapons which would be based on increase in health, increased counter window and increased timing window for combos.
Chases and escapes work the same as AC1 and ACIV.

Step Two: Get rid of archetypes as we know it.

All guards would be capable of every type of attack with various probabilities of attempting it. Just like AC1, any guard might grab you, dodge or counter your attack. Elite guards would simply have a higher probability of doing so than other guards and greater health. No more brutes or agiles. This keeps combat always unpredictable and forces the player to react rather than predict.

Step Three: Overhaul AI.

Random respawning patrols will return like AC1, but with less frequency..
In combat, reinforcement will arrive over time. First with ground guards, and eventually with a sniper, followed by many snipers (guards with ranged weapons.) This will force the player to fight offensively and not turtle. Drag the fight on too long, and the rooftops will fill with more snipers than the player can manage - leaving no choice but to break and run.
Guards will be more investigative. They will tail you if you act suspicious, they will fully investigate hidden areas, and call for a helper if they see you in a restricted area before blending. Spotted by a guard in a restricted area? He will call over a buddy to check the brushes. This will force true stealth in situations that need true stealth to be believable.

Step Four: A new notoriety system. Basically, if you kill a lot of people, you won't be ignored 2 minutes later; nor do you have to bribe people or tear down posters - as if that wipes memories.

Notoriety system will return with levels similar to safe, wanted and notorious. Extended combat or assassinations generate notorious status in a city/map location just like today. Notorious status results in instant combat if spotted by a guard.
Wanted status means that guards will be suspicious of you in plain sight. Escaping to a hiding spot after becoming notorious will only reduce you to wanted status.
Incognito status will achieved based on time spent out of notorious status. After escaping combat (notorious), the player will have to spend an extended period of time in wanted status before guards will completely ignore him (Incognito status.) Time is the only thing that wipes memories in the real world.
Hiding spots have varying degrees of success based on notoriety. For example, blend groups will not work in notorious status but bushes or haybales will. The game will use a wide variety of hiding spots (Black Flag did a good job of this.)
Whistling will return, as will Prostitutes and Thieves for distraction methods.

Step Five: Free-running

High Profile (jog) and High Profile + X (free run) will return to two buttons instead of one. Merging the two has simply created too many glitches and reduced player flexibility.
The speed of climbing and tree-running will return from ACIII/ACIV.

Step Six: Minimalized HUD and reduced "arcadey" elements. Deepen the immersion.

HUD will be designed to be less obtrusive. Highlighting chests or people will also be less obtrovise.
Arcade sounds such a a honk when seen by guards will also be eliminated, and replaced with audible cues in the form of dialogue or simply more immersive.

Step Seven: Maps. The right size and mix.

Three cities each about 10% larger than Havana/Florence and each with a slightly different architecture connected with a large wilderness or free roam area that is dotted with smaller locations. Black Flag's was just about perfect.
Tombs in some shape or form which reward Elite Weapons.

Step Eight: The best collectibles and side missions.

Black Flag is the model for excellence. Everything should make sense and serve the story. Although I would bring back lock-breaking for chests in the cities.
Bring back Glyph or more bizarre type of collectibles which tie in to Templar/Assassins.
Eliminate the Facebook mini-game and relocate it to Companion iPad app.

This sounds like a a great set of ideas, I'd enjoy this but you missed out modern story, what would your take be on that?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-10-2013, 02:11 AM
The anti-revolution thing seems pretty arbitrary to me, and you can't really avoid them in a game series which is effectively about the Illuminati and the group trying to resist them. I'd expect the similarities between AC3 and a game set in Paris during the French revolution to be limited.

No, it's the fact that it's a revolution during the 1700s which we just had. Sure we'd have a french protagonist instead of a native American but honestly...it'd start to feel pretty similar -- calls for revolution, the ruling party trying to avoid it, etc. I could do with a revolution no problem, it's the fact that they JUST had another revolutionary game around the same time period and another game that may not have been about revolution but was still set during the same time. Even the Italian Renaissance really only got two games since Revelations was less Italian and, yknow, more Ottomon and Byzantine.

AC3 and AC4 I would both put in the naval / natural environment category. I'm saying they should aim to alternate between making a game from that category and then a traditional urban AC, rather than continuing to mash the two ideas together until everybody is sick of it.

Wait, so you mean like one year: release a naval/natural AC (With some cities) and then the next year release a classic AC with full urban (or mostly urban) environments? Alright, that's better haha. The way you wrote it looked like you just wanted to continue the same thing AC3 and AC4 did.

The Templar/Assassin conflict could be made far more morally ambiguous than it is right now. I'd disagree with your assessment that the Templars in AC1 and AC3 are much more nuanced than pantomime villains. They are somewhat interesting characters at the beginning of AC3, but only until the second you stop playing as Haytham and then they immediately revert to twirling their moustaches and hatching evil schemes. That said, it's really the Assassins which need to be portrayed a little more questionably - given the death and chaos they seem to cause wherever they go, it's kinda ridiculous that they are just accepted as obviously being the good guys.

Really though? Throughout AC3, even as Connor, during the conversations after an assassination -- they speak their POV, their minds. For instance, William Johnson explains how they sought to buy the land in order to protect the natives and that by killing him, you've doomed the natives as he explains how the colonists will eventually find a reason to boot them out. In Connor's (and the Assassin's) quest for freedom, they doomed a people to being forced off their land by people he thought were on his side. When explained he shouldn't own the land, he retorts with "better us than someone else" and indeed, look what happened?

Even in AC2 where the villains were a maniacal laugh away from cliche, Shaun takes umbrage to Rebecca saying "we're the good guys" and goes on to explain how they're "Assassins...want me to look it up for you? Basically... it means we KILL people" <-- he mentions how they all have the CHOICE and FREEDOM to choose to kill. He says they fight for a cause but are, in no way, "the good guys."

As for AC1 -- I'd have to replay the game as it's been forever but they were not as bad as AC2 by any stretch. There needs to be a certain degree of "douchiness" or else it won't feel realistic. Know why? Because people in power usually are, in fact, kinda of a$$holes. Even if for the best intentions.

BigredInfinity
12-10-2013, 03:29 AM
Why not have another modern day Assassin? lets go back before desmonds death… say Clay Kaczmarek or Daniel Cross? they would make a great game before desmond ever came into the series, of course there gonna relive Ezio's memories because they are also desendents of Ezio but relive an absent part of Altairs life. it could work, i mean Altair is mentioned in almost every game so why not?

MnemonicSyntax
12-10-2013, 03:57 AM
Small spoiler regarding Clay and Daniel.

If you played 4, there's a part where Subject's 4 and 16 (as well as Subject 2) were not to have their data touched.

BigredInfinity
12-10-2013, 04:16 AM
Did you not read? i said BEFORE desmonds death, before desmond ever entered the series (Of course unlikely becaue Juno mentions desmond aswell does Ezio in his letters)

MnemonicSyntax
12-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Did you not read? i said BEFORE desmonds death, before desmond ever entered the series (Of course unlikely becaue Juno mentions desmond aswell does Ezio in his letters)

Yes, I read. Those emails are hints from Ubisoft saying saying "we're not going there."

That was my point. Daniel has a comic book, Clay has the Lost Archives and Vidic has the recordings from AC4. That's as good as it gets.

luckyto
12-10-2013, 03:52 PM
I liked the new version of the modern day. I'd be open to ideas. AC has some good writers. The only thing I'd care about from a story perspective is going back to a time period before gunpowder.

This sounds like a a great set of ideas, I'd enjoy this but you missed out modern story, what would your take be on that?

Thanks!

To really make it work right, it would come down to fine-tuning. Say, if the timing was off for reinforcements arriving (they arrive too soon), then it would becoming an annoying mechanic quickly. Guess that's true for every game.

I have noticed Ubi's timing is a little too premature in many of it's systems. Day-Night cycles happen too fast (AC3 was better), just slightly too many ships on the horizon, etc; it's as if, they are guaranteeing that no player misses it. But the result is just "off", distracting or annoying. And I think they'd be better off to err on the side of restraint. A reinforcement system would definitely need restraint.