PDA

View Full Version : I wish Ubi would leave AC and do other historical games

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Historical action/drama/fiction is one of my favourite genres in all mediums. Classic books like Ivanhoe and The Name of the Rose, movies like Gladiator, Braveheart, Kingdom of Heaven, Apocalypto, shows like Vikings, the Tudors etc. I dunno, I just find it fascinating and exciting in ways I don't really feel about sci-fi and fantasy, even though they could be great as well.

Ubi pretty much has monopoly on this genre through its AC franchise (even though some more or less succesful attempts have been made to break it, such as Ryse recently). Every year there is a new game set in some new location. With AC they have built up a very impressive library of technologies. However all games still carry over many of the AC tropes. Assassins vs Templars, synching viewpoints, hood/hidden blade, animus etc. I think it's time for Ubi move on from these things and start making more general historical games instead.

Look at the list of books and movies above! Note that every single one of them is a standalone entry. This means maximum creative freedom. There is no need to distort history by forcing some T vs A conflict in every single setting. The main character can be dressed and function in a reasonable way in the given setting, not by the way some franchise dictates. There's no need to add a completely nonsensical modern day plot, just because AC has always had one. Ridley Scott didn't pause the historical part of Gladiator just so we could watch Russel Crowe have a sandwich and a smoke. You don't need a cliffhanger. You can tell a complete story the way you like it.

Ubi has all the tech/talent needed for doing pretty much any kind of third person historical action games. Climbable forests, cities, crowds, melee combat, ranged combat, horses, ships, weather, seasons, cinematics/motion caption, great writers.

As we now enter a new gen it's time to break free from Assassin's Creed :D!

FlamingMoh
12-06-2013, 06:20 PM
But, I love assassins creed!

shobhit7777777
12-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Well, 5 years ago...I had wrote up a concept for a squad-based tactical stealth game where you play as a Native American chief and lead a band of 6-12 warriors in a guerrilla campaign against the whiteskinned devils.

Imagine, creeping through the undergrowth using hand signals order the execution of a bored sentry....and watching one of your warriors materialize from the shadows and silently put down the intruder.....then fanning out your group...taking positions behind trees and in the foliage as you wait to ambush a squad of colonials....you let them walk by. It starts pouring now, visibility is poor. Under the cover of darkness your warriors circle behind the unaware troops like a pack of wolves.
As the party rests you pick out and assign targets to your warriors - "You take the fat one on the right...you, the tall fellow cleaning his boots"
And then you attack....each kill is muffled by the sound of thunder.....one by one the darkness swallows the unlucky squad.

Aaaaannnnd then AC3 came out.

If you can get me some money I'll make that game.

10 million...plz

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 07:39 PM
But, I love assassins creed!

I bet you still vote for Maggie Thatcher you bloody conservative :mad::p;)

Well, 5 years ago...I had wrote up a concept for a squad-based tactical stealth game where you play as a Native American chief and lead a band of 6-12 warriors in a guerrilla campaign against the whiteskinned devils.

Imagine, creeping through the undergrowth using hand signals order the execution of a bored sentry....and watching one of your warriors materialize from the shadows and silently put down the intruder.....then fanning out your group...taking positions behind trees and in the foliage as you wait to ambush a squad of colonials....you let them walk by. It starts pouring now, visibility is poor. Under the cover of darkness your warriors circle behind the unaware troops like a pack of wolves.
As the party rests you pick out and assign targets to your warriors - "You take the fat one on the right...you, the tall fellow cleaning his boots"
And then you attack....each kill is muffled by the sound of thunder.....one by one the darkness swallows the unlucky squad.

Aaaaannnnd then AC3 came out.

If you can get me some money I'll make that game.

10 million...plz

10 million is an awful lot of sushi... I love the concept though, just as I would love something like a "realistic" Robin Hood game (pretty much the same concept in a different setting). There's just sooo much they could do with what they have.

Also think about a French Revolution game in which Robespierre is not a templar or an assassin. He is simply Robespierre (mind blown)!

MIA SILENT
12-06-2013, 07:50 PM
"History is our playground" needn't only apply to Assassins Creed!

But no, I don't want them to abandon AC. And I don't think 2 historical IP's could coexist being made by the same company. Unless it was PoP ;)

AC2_alex
12-06-2013, 07:53 PM
They'll never drop the AC brand until it stops making......

MONEY. :(

PedroAntonio2
12-06-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't want them to end AC and start doing other franchises in certain hystorical locations Let's think, guys... what is so epic about AC is that they choose a time period and try to find a way to put the Assassins vs Templars war and TWCB. There are conspirancies, alien stuff and so go on...but I learned a lot about history just playing Assassin's Creed ! I wasn't interested in American Revolution, but after playing ACIII I can easily explain how the conflict started and how it ended...the same goes with the Cruzades, Renaiscence and the Golden Age of Piracy.

ze_topazio
12-06-2013, 07:57 PM
1666 could have been that game.

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 08:00 PM
They'll never drop the AC brand until it stops making......

MONEY. :(

They "left" PoP to make AC and look how that turned out ;). No matter how much money a franchise is making there's always a chance something else will make even more. If you stay still in show-biz, one day you will be out. EA, or someone else will, will just step in and grab all the AC customers with some more exciting IP.

1666 could have been that game.

Yes :(.

I don't want them to end AC and start doing other franchises in certain hystorical locations Let's think, guys... what is so epic about AC is that they choose a time period and try to find a way to put the Assassins vs Templars war and TWCB. There are conspirancies, alien stuff and so go on...but I learned a lot about history just playing Assassin's Creed ! I wasn't interested in American Revolution, but after playing ACIII I can easily explain how the conflict started and how it ended...the same goes with the Cruzades, Renaiscence and the Golden Age of Piracy.

I don't think shoehorning A vs T in various settings is what makes AC exciting at all. For me it's about exploring historical settings and doing stuff like sneaking, fighting and climbing, sailing, interacting with characters, follow a story etc. They could still have all those things. As for learning history though AC, wouldn't you learn a lot more if the various historical characters weren't arbitrarily labeled As or Ts?

AC2_alex
12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
They "left" PoP to make AC and look how that turned out ;). No matter how much money a franchise is making there's always a chance something else will make even more. If you stay still in show-biz, one day you will be out. EA, or someone else will, will just step in and grab all the AC customers with some more exciting IP.

Could Watch Dogs be that franchise???

Hans684
12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Not by Ubisoft, but if ND did then ill be happy. Two historical games by the same companie is a 'turn off' in a way, not to mention people would b!tch about it being an AC 'rip off' and they made it becouse AC is not going to last very long with yearly releases and they have 'broken' the story so much it ain't worth continuing.

SixKeys
12-06-2013, 08:12 PM

W_D and AC aren't competing for the same audiences, at least not on the surface. W_D is about modern cities and hacking, AC is about historical adventures. The reason Ubi essentially dropped PoP was because they didn't want two different brands competing in the same genre.

MnemonicSyntax
12-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Doubtful. I can see them eventually doing a tie-in though.

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 08:15 PM

Imo no. It's GTA in which you can manipulate some elements in the city. It lacks the atmosphere and tourism aspects of AC (again this is just my opinion ofc). In many ways it's just another game. This sound very negative and I'm sure it will be a very fun game and sell well. It's in no way a good replacemement for AC imo.

Not by Ubisoft, but if ND did then ill be happy. Two historical games by the same companie is a 'turn off' in a way, not to mention people would b!tch about it being an AC 'rip off' and they made it becouse AC is not going to last very long with yearly releases and they have 'broken' the story so much it ain't worth continuing.

Sure I wouldn't mind Naughty Dog stepping into the genre at all, they are awesome!

You can't make decisions based on if people will ***** or not though, because they always do no matter what. Hell in AC4 they introduced some minor new feature with the Hood and people go nuts. It doesn't really matter. Of course people will say all kinds of mean things, but at the end of the day if Ubi makea a really compelling game that will win them over. Just as some people who whined about AC4 being "Pirates Creed" now think it's the best in the franchise. I whined a ton about AC4 btw and now it's my favourite :).

shobhit7777777
12-06-2013, 08:17 PM
10 million is an awful lot of sushi...

Not sushi...BATARANGS Dammit! 10 mill batarangs...I run out of them real quick.

Personally...History is cool and all....I play the franchise to do assassin stuff. Climb buildings, stab people, pretend to buy fish at a stall

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Not sushi...BATARANGS Dammit! 10 mill batarangs...I run out of them real quick.

Personally...History is cool and all....I play the franchise to do assassin stuff. Climb buildings, stab people, pretend to buy fish at a stall

Not sure I want to give you batarangs as they may come back awfully fast ;).

You'll still be able to do many of those activities (depending on the game), My point is just that Ubi is starting to have such a resepctable library of features and technologies that they could leverage more by making new IPs. Let's say you want to make a game about a native american. So you get the AC-menu and order a bit of stealth, a bow, a knife and a climbable forest as garnish. Then you polish a couple of the most important features for your game (horse, bow say) and you have a new IP and can tell whatever story you want (I understand it's a bit more complicated than that).

There's so much potential in what they got!

shobhit7777777
12-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Not sure I want to give you batarangs as they may come back awfully fast ;).

You'll still be able to do many of those activities (depending on the game), My point is just that Ubi is starting to have such a resepctable library of features and technologies that they could leverage more by making new IPs. Let's say you want to make a game about a native american. So you get the AC-menu and order a bit of stealth, a bow, a knife and a climbable forest as garnish. Then you polish a couple of the most important features for your game (horse, bow say) and you have a new IP and can tell whatever story you want (I understand it's a bit more complicated than that).

There's so much potential in what they got!

Yeah...basically an AC like experience in another setting. No thanks

Its basically a duplication of hard work without much creativity involved. Not only does it not make business sense (aping an already existing game with minor deviations) but it also doesn't entice me.

A Pirate game is actually doable....since they already have a really well fleshed out base.

I'd rather that they get rid off the modern day nonsense altogether....and focus on more personal stories within the AvT premise.

@Ubi

I am ****ing tired of the conspiracy theory magic item quest nonsense that you continue to pursue in your narratives. Why does it always have to be about some ****ing piece of magical alien tech?
Keep it focused, leave the ******** out and tell a real ****ing story for ****s sake.

Every-****ing-time I play an AC game and our protagonist is on a wild goose chase....hunting some artifact or the other. It feels like a tween novel sometimes (or at least my perception of it).

Can we have a story focusing on people and ideals? lets stop the nonsensical, cliched and unimaginative tracks from marring the potential of the franchise.

Shahkulu101
12-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd rather that they get rid off the modern day nonsense altogether....and focus on more personal stories within the AvT premise.

@Ubi

I am ****ing tired of the conspiracy theory magic item quest nonsense that you continue to pursue in your narratives. Why does it always have to be about some ****ing piece of magical alien tech?
Keep it focused, leave the ******** out and tell a real ****ing story for ****s sake.

Every-****ing-time I play an AC game and our protagonist is on a wild goose chase....hunting some artifact or the other. It feels like a tween novel sometimes (or at least my perception of it).

Can we have a story focusing on people and ideals? lets stop the nonsensical, cliched and unimaginative tracks from marring the potential of the franchise.

Agree with every word of this, the observatory plot line was painfully uninteresting. The Juno stuff is just ridiculous, it was bad enough when the TWCB were subtly included. Now it's just so cringeworthy.

MnemonicSyntax
12-06-2013, 10:27 PM
To be fair, the Crystal Skulls were discussed in AC1. However, the rest with "Juno" being fragmented data and off in cyber space is a bit ridiculous, considering we saw her literally step over Desmond's body in 3. "I don't have enough strength yet." What? You've been in that hole for... forever. How much more time do you need?

However, I will say I am hoping something is done with John, because they now have his blood, which is Precursor Race DNA.

ACfan443
12-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Patrice could have brought this very idea to fruition with his own new IP, but alas, we're all perfectly familiar with the unceremonious annulment of that attempt. Ubi is at the forefront of producing captivating historical games with gritty and mature realism (barring present day plot). Being constrained to just AC with such a lucrative genre will prove damaging. Mainly because as of late, a significant number of people find AC stale and off-putting - in spite of Black Flag's endeavours to reinvigorate the franchise (AC3 and to some extent ACR caused a great deal of damage).

The beauty of history is that it encompasses no boundaries or confines, Ubi has the potential to explore its vast branches through an array of new IPs and keep its portfolio fresh. They appear to be showing interest in starting a Black Flag spin off series not associated with AC, but I highly doubt it would have as much historical emphasis on narrative/gameplay as AC itself does. 1666 Amsterdam was a step in the right direction and could have allowed AC to rest, implement feedback, and replenish before gracing our consoles again.

I don't want Ubi to leave AC entirely, alternating between difference franchises is something I'd prefer more.

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Yeah...basically an AC like experience in another setting. No thanks

Its basically a duplication of hard work without much creativity involved. Not only does it not make business sense (aping an already existing game with minor deviations) but it also doesn't entice me.

A Pirate game is actually doable....since they already have a really well fleshed out base.

I don't think they should ape it as much as I wrote lol. But they have a lot of tech (like how to build a city, managing crowds, weather etc) that are pretty universal. You know the visual stuff. Then they could build a lot of new gameplay around that (like a totally new and much more fleshed out combat system) and have, say, a good musketeer game.

@Ubi

Yeah it's thoughts like these that lead me into thinking new historical IPs could be more interesting to pursue. I mean even if they skipped the modern part we would still have the rather tired idea of labeling every famous historical figure as templar or assassin and then kill off pretty much all of them. Why not try to portray them closer to how they actually were and think about their real motives.

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Oh yeah before I forget. An example of what I'm talking about is what Naughty Dog did with TLOU. BAsically they took a ton of the techniques they had from Uncharted and were able to dress it up in a new unique way that felt fresh (cover shooter, with a bit of stealth. "hey can you boost me up"-puzzles. etc). That's the level of re-using things, while still adding enough to make it feel new, I want.

SixKeys
12-06-2013, 11:30 PM
I like the modern day and Pieces of Eden stuff, so I wouldn't want them to drop it all entirely. I don't think I would be as invested in purely historical stories. Though the Juno stuff is pretty ridiculous, I must admit. I liked it better when it was all rather vague with TWCB being this mysterious force far, far in the background. When they decided to make Juno the cackling, evil villain they kind of lost the element of mystery. :/

silvermercy
12-06-2013, 11:49 PM
I think I would love an ALTERNATE history game. A "what if" scenario in each game. What if Hitler had won? What it the Middle Ages and witch burning existed today? Something like that (it'd be like ToKW or, even better, Dishonored).

In other words: A Mix and Match scenario.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Noooooo. I like the Assassin's Creed universe. Weaving a secret war between Assassins and Templars is great and actually has led me to researching ACTUAL history (if it's something I'm unsure of such as a person's date of death and the like) because I understand that things had to be tweaked, slightly or majorly, for the story to fit.

I'd be all for another company doing what you said but I doubt they will as they won't want to appear as a rip off. Still...would be interesting. Remember though...that new series would either die after the first or second game if it didn't sell well but if it DID sell well... you can bet it, too, would become another franchise which will start to tweak things that you may not like.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I think I would love an ALTERNATE history game. A "what if" scenario in each game. What if Hitler had won? What it the Middle Ages and witch burning existed today? Something like that (it'd be like ToKW or, even better, Dishonored).

In other words: A Mix and Match scenario.

Dishonored isn't a "what if" or alternate history game. The setting is a completely fictional world with fictional creatures (just look at those whales). That's like saying Avatar the Last Airbender is an alternate history, which it's not.

silvermercy
12-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Dishonored isn't a "what if" or alternate history game. The setting is a completely fictional world with fictional creatures (just look at those whales). That's like saying Avatar the Last Airbender is an alternate history, which it's not.
I meant a Mix and Match game mostly. Personally, I consider Dishonored some kind of fictional alternate history.

edit: Actually it is indeed described as alternate history:
http://www.hmv.ie/dishonored-pc.html

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/728609/from-dishonored-to-the-difference-engine-a-short-history-of-steampunk/