PDA

View Full Version : Joystick woes

xenophya1
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I have recently bought IL 2 forgotten battles which is great!!! Initially I used a mates usb joystick but he wanted it back. So I got a sidewinder force feedback pro joystick from ebay for what I thought was a bargain price. Unfortunately however Microsoft have stopped supporting this model so its not a simple install with drivers job on XP. I went onto their web site which says that although specific driver are not available the joystick is supported in Win XP. I plugged the joystick into the game port on my sound card, which is a 'C-Media CMI8738/C3DX. Next as instructed I went to:

Control panel - game controllers - add - Microsoft SideWinder (auto Detect) - ok -
and got the message,

"missing game or gameport drivers your gameport or game port drivers are not properly configured please consult the device manager."

So I went to the device manager to find the Standard Game Port icon had a little yellow ! mark next to it.

I clicked on it and the device status said

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

So I then went to MS Knowledge base where I found an article saying

"The Force Feedback Pro 1.0 is connected to a Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) sound card game port and the computer has an onboard sound card.

To resolve this issue, disable the onboard game port and midi/MPU-401 port. You can disable the onboard sound card gameport in BIOS.

Some computers include a sound card or audio chip set on the motherboard. If you install a new sound card with the onboard chip set, you may experience this problem because of direct memory access (DMA) conflicts between the onboard audio chip set and the installed sound card. Windows cannot manage the DMA channel that may still be assigned to the onboard audio chip set and conflicts with the DMA channel that is assigned to the installed sound card and game port. To resolve this issue, disable the onboard sound card:
Make sure the onboard sound card is disabled in the computer's complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings. See your computer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for information about how to do this.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel.)
Double-click System.
If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers.Click the onboard sound device, and then click Properties.
if you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, on the General tab, select Do not use this device (disable) under Device Usage.
Click OK or Close until you return to Windows.
Restart the computer."

I have tried all of this. I have disabled the onboard sound card in the bios.(Nvidia - 42302e31 Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG, 11/07) I can't see the onbourd sound device in the device manager menu, and none of the 'Sound, video and game controllers' menus allow me to disable this device.

Please, please help I'm stuck.

xenophya1
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I have recently bought IL 2 forgotten battles which is great!!! Initially I used a mates usb joystick but he wanted it back. So I got a sidewinder force feedback pro joystick from ebay for what I thought was a bargain price. Unfortunately however Microsoft have stopped supporting this model so its not a simple install with drivers job on XP. I went onto their web site which says that although specific driver are not available the joystick is supported in Win XP. I plugged the joystick into the game port on my sound card, which is a 'C-Media CMI8738/C3DX. Next as instructed I went to:

Control panel - game controllers - add - Microsoft SideWinder (auto Detect) - ok -
and got the message,

"missing game or gameport drivers your gameport or game port drivers are not properly configured please consult the device manager."

So I went to the device manager to find the Standard Game Port icon had a little yellow ! mark next to it.

I clicked on it and the device status said

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

So I then went to MS Knowledge base where I found an article saying

"The Force Feedback Pro 1.0 is connected to a Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) sound card game port and the computer has an onboard sound card.

To resolve this issue, disable the onboard game port and midi/MPU-401 port. You can disable the onboard sound card gameport in BIOS.

Some computers include a sound card or audio chip set on the motherboard. If you install a new sound card with the onboard chip set, you may experience this problem because of direct memory access (DMA) conflicts between the onboard audio chip set and the installed sound card. Windows cannot manage the DMA channel that may still be assigned to the onboard audio chip set and conflicts with the DMA channel that is assigned to the installed sound card and game port. To resolve this issue, disable the onboard sound card:
Make sure the onboard sound card is disabled in the computer's complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings. See your computer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for information about how to do this.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel.)
Double-click System.
If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers.Click the onboard sound device, and then click Properties.
if you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, on the General tab, select Do not use this device (disable) under Device Usage.
Click OK or Close until you return to Windows.
Restart the computer."

I have tried all of this. I have disabled the onboard sound card in the bios.(Nvidia - 42302e31 Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG, 11/07) I can't see the onbourd sound device in the device manager menu, and none of the 'Sound, video and game controllers' menus allow me to disable this device.

Please, please help I'm stuck.

gkll
07-08-2004, 05:10 PM
I would try using a gameport to USB adapter. You can get them from an outfit like 'Radio Shack' for like $10 Canadian.

Luck

Flightvector
07-08-2004, 05:35 PM
I don't want to sound unconstructive, but gameport joysticks are for the most part not commonly used and explains the bargain price you mention. USB joysticks are far better in data stream and bandwidth and are definitely easier to configure and do not require constant recalibration (though some require full detent deflection before use).

As far as your issue, if you disable the integrated motherboard sound card, then the gameport should already be disabled for this component, leaving the PCI sound card gameport open and with no DMA conflicts. If you can't see the onboard sound device, then BIOS has probably disabled it successfully. If you see items in the BIOS referring to the onboard MIDI port, disable these as well, you should be able to.

If it still doesn't work, see if there are proper drivers to tell the soundcard how to allocate resources properly to the game port and to tell it that it is there. I am not familiar with your card, but its website should have drivers or information. Also, see if the integrated motherboard soundcard has a gameport and if re-enabling allows this to work. Consider buying a USB joystick instead of buying a new sound card if it comes to this.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22ggz/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fvsig2.jpg

xenophya1
07-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the help,

Tried the game port to USb convertor but it still don't work, Xp now sees the USB but the joystick doesn't work proprerly and the confiuration bit in XP doesn't work at all. I Have all of the origanall driver for the sound card and have tried reinstallling them and moving the sound card to a different pci slot with no succcess. I am waiting to see if the sound card manuafcureres get back to me.

Any other ideas??

Thanks for all of your help.

Taylortony
07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I think this may help you, its from the Saitek site, they went over to usb as they found on the X36 gameport version that they couldnt use the keyboard shortcuts with XP as it didnt support it correctly

Windows 2000/XP
The X36 Gameport is our oldest product and development ceased on the combo back in 1998, shortly before it was discontinued in production. Development will not be started again on this controller because it would be hampered by the fact that the X36 is unlikely to work on any PC that is powerful enough to comfortably run 2000 or XP due to the keyboard pass-through that it uses. This is the source of the programming ability for the stick and on modern-day faster PC's there is too much information coming through on this connection and the stick gets locked up, thus handicapping the full use of the combo. Therefore under 2000 and XP we will only be supporting our current, USB-connected controllers. Sorry for any inconvenience.