PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Ubisoft for the AC Series

AngryRaisin
12-05-2013, 04:18 AM
I just finished AC4 and am fairly discouraged at how everyone seems to feel the need to be critics rather than supporters from what I've seen on these forums and elsewhere.

Anyway, I just want to say THANK YOU to Ubisoft for a spectacular game franchise that is Assassin's Creed. I basically cut my gaming teeth on AC2 in January 2 years ago by recommendation of my local Game Stop manager even though I was entirely skeptical of liking it based on the title. I did not want a shooter or "kill everything in sight" game.

But I was actually blown away at the spectacularness that is Assassin's Creed—I quickly fell in love with immersing myself in a fantasy of living in Italy and being able to do physical feats that were surreal, and I especially loved the premise of being part of a secret guild who serves to upheave the corruption that is the status quo and has been for centuries.

Anyway, of course i have encountered countless glitches and frustrations and even downright errors (in the writing or that sort of thing), but truly, they rolled right off my back because everything else has been so phenomenal. As a former programmer myself I am absolutely in awe with the depth and breadth of what you have created and I have nothing but praise and support for you.

Thank you for giving me hundreds of hours of enjoyable and stimulating distraction when I really needed it to escape some of the intensities of everyday life.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 04:37 AM
Finally...someone who doesn't want to say "Since they make one every year its just getting worse and worse. Assassin's Creed is just becoming the next CoD."

I'm so sick of those comments.

How many times do they need to say that they have multiple studios working on multiple titles at multiple phases of development for usually 2 to 3 years each?

MnemonicSyntax
12-05-2013, 04:41 AM
I just finished AC4 and am fairly discouraged at how everyone seems to feel the need to be critics rather than supporters from what I've seen on these forums and elsewhere.

Anyway, I just want to say THANK YOU to Ubisoft for a spectacular game franchise that is Assassin's Creed. I basically cut my gaming teeth on AC2 in January 2 years ago by recommendation of my local Game Stop manager even though I was entirely skeptical of liking it based on the title. I did not want a shooter or "kill everything in sight" game.

But I was actually blown away at the spectacularness that is Assassin's Creed—I quickly fell in love with immersing myself in a fantasy of living in Italy and being able to do physical feats that were surreal, and I especially loved the premise of being part of a secret guild who serves to upheave the corruption that is the status quo and has been for centuries.

Anyway, of course i have encountered countless glitches and frustrations and even downright errors (in the writing or that sort of thing), but truly, they rolled right off my back because everything else has been so phenomenal. As a former programmer myself I am absolutely in awe with the depth and breadth of what you have created and I have nothing but praise and support for you.

Thank you for giving me hundreds of hours of enjoyable and stimulating distraction when I really needed it to escape some of the intensities of everyday life.

I think I love you.

Gi1t
12-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Finally...someone who doesn't want to say "Since they make one every year its just getting worse and worse. Assassin's Creed is just becoming the next CoD."

How many times do they need to say that they have multiple studios working on multiple titles at multiple phases of development for usually 2 to 3 years each?

Finally? There have been a lot of comments just like both of these here. Posts saying "I'm gonna say something good because everyone's being so negative" and a few discussions about the annualization issue. (In general, although it's widely known that the total dev time for each game is three or more years and they have more then one team, there's a lot of debate over just WHAT is being done at various stages of development, I.E. how much of it is really working on the game and how much is just preparing to work on it.) That's what I'm seeing a lot here anyway.)

AngryRaisin
12-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Finally? There have been a lot of comments just like both of these here. Posts saying "I'm gonna say something good because everyone's being so negative" and a few discussions about the annualization issue. (In general, although it's widely known that the total dev time for each game is three or more years and they have more then one team, there's a lot of debate over just WHAT is being done at various stages of development, I.E. how much of it is really working on the game and how much is just preparing to work on it.) That's what I'm seeing a lot here anyway.)

Sorry, did I miss something? What exactly is the relevance of your post to this thread? *shrugs*

Gi1t
12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Sorry, did I miss something? What exactly is the relevance of your post to this thread? *shrugs*

The first part, where I said posts like yours were not as unusual as you seemed to think. (I got the impression that you felt you were somewhat isolated in wanting to say these things, but I've seen a few threads like this before.) The rest was just a side note in response to the post I quoted. :)

ProletariatPleb
12-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Read: So what if 1 game out of 4 is objectively good? STOP BEING SO ENTITLED! Eat whatever crap is thrown at you by companies that want to make a quick buck!

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Read: So what if 1 game out of 4 is objectively good? STOP BEING SO ENTITLED! Eat whatever crap is thrown at you by companies that want to make a quick buck!

Well that's an opinion ain't it? Funny how those work.
I've quite enjoyed each and every AC title. That's my opinion. It doesn't have to be yours.

And by all means DON'T feel the need to "eat whatever crap is thrown at you", as that would be unhygienic. Just take your soap boxes and go preach about how you're bum hurt on a different corner OR take the advice I've been giving and just stop buying the games if you feel they're only being pumped out so that the "companies can make a buck."

All I said was that I was sick of seeing topics about how "They series is turning into the next CoD because they pump out a new one each year and don't take the time to develop it properly." Because if you think these games are made in 1 year...you don't know much about the business. It just seems that more and more users want to come onto the forums to air their wounded feelings...and yes...some of them do act a bit "Entitled".

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Oh that wasn't a comment on the life time of the forums Gi1t, its just a remark on how its one of the first positive ones I've seen today.

itsamea-mario
12-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Well that's an opinion ain't it? Funny how those work.
I've quite enjoyed each and every AC title. That's my opinion. It doesn't have to be yours.

And by all means DON'T feel the need to "eat whatever crap is thrown at you", as that would be unhygienic. Just take your soap boxes and go preach about how you're bum hurt on a different corner OR take the advice I've been giving and just stop buying the games if you feel they're only being pumped out so that the "companies can make a buck."

All I said was that I was sick of seeing topics about how "They series is turning into the next CoD because they pump out a new one each year and don't take the time to develop it properly." Because if you think these games are made in 1 year...you don't know much about the business. It just seems that more and more users want to come onto the forums to air their wounded feelings...and yes...some of them do act a bit "Entitled".

I always eat my greens.

ProletariatPleb
12-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Well that's an opinion ain't it?
>Specifically mentioned - Objectively
>Calls it an opinion

go preach about how you're bum hurt on a different corner OR take the advice I've been giving and just stop buying the games if you feel they're only being pumped out so that the "companies can make a buck."
http://i.minus.com/ib2oB7ENCBIsq2.jpg
Yes of course I'm the one who's whining, "I'm so sick of those comments."
Thank you, ubisoft defence force magister. And what makes you think I myself bought every game and at full price?

Because if you think these games are made in 1 year...you don't know much about the business. It just seems that more and more users want to come onto the forums to air their wounded feelings...and yes...some of them do act a bit "Entitled".
THE IRONY.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 08:45 AM
I didn't say you were whining. I was talking about the people that only come on here to complain and make nonsensical comparisons.

Dev_Anj
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
sidskyper24, define objectively good.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 08:48 AM
THE IRONY.

What irony? It's been stated time and time again, each game is being done by a separate team and they're each in development for 2 or 3 years.
And people still come on here and make accusations that each game is developed in a year. Its just a preposterous claim... I don't see the irony.

ProletariatPleb
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
I didn't say you were whining. I was talking about the people that only come on here to complain and make nonsensical comparisons.
Alright fine, but you're wrong because CoD and AC HAVE the exact same 1.5-2 years development cycle. Each entry is made in 1.5-2 years by different people, which is what CoD does as well.

sidskyper24, define objectively good.
Well basically irrelevant of opinion.
Like for example I like Revelations and that is my opinion but that doesn't make it a good game. It's just a rehash of the previous and barely introduces anything new. That's objective.

xCHEMISTx
12-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Having a series they can make a tidy profit from annually would be any developers dream surely? Ubisoft are lucky to be up there alongside developers like Activision. I always seen potential in the series even when I first started playing it in AC1 but never thought it would end up being on a 1 year cycle. In my opinion the only question with COD and AC are how long they can be milked for before players move on.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Alright fine, but you're wrong because CoD and AC HAVE the exact same 1.5-2 years development cycle. Each entry is made in 1.5-2 years by different people, which is what CoD does as well.

Fair point. My frustration is mostly with people who imply that the games are just being flushed out as if made by a giant copy paste machine. So far, each has had a unique feel to me....even Revelations...which does closely resemble Brotherhood, I admit. But Revelations did add things I liked to the series.

ProletariatPleb
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Fair point. My frustration is mostly with people who imply that the games are just being flushed out as if made by a giant copy paste machine. So far, each has had a unique feel to me....even Revelations...which does closely resemble Brotherhood, I admit. But Revelations did add things I liked to the series.
It's all good, man. I wouldn't call it copy-paste yet but not innovative either. Just tacking on feature after feature.

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 11:51 AM
It's a great franchise! It has more faults than there are stars at night, but it's only because Ubi keeps aiming for the sky ;)!

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
It's all good, man. I wouldn't call it copy-paste yet but not innovative either. Just tacking on feature after feature.

I suppose I understand what you mean. Certain players are looking for the next big thing and want a different game with different mechanics...rather than the similar mechanics with a new coat of story slapped on, like we have been getting.

I'm more one of those "don't fix what ain't broken" sorts...but I can see how that's not for everyone.

Farlander1991
12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
It's a great franchise! It has more faults than there are stars at night, but it's only because Ubi keeps aiming for the sky ;)!

One could even say that Aesop's Jackdaw fable from a certain point in the game could be applied to AC as well :D

ProletariatPleb
12-05-2013, 12:07 PM
One could even say that Aesop's Jackdaw fable from a certain point in the game could be applied to AC as well :D
>Aesop's fable

DAMMIT ANOTHER AC1 FLASHBACK

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 12:11 PM

*googles* http://www.taleswithmorals.com/the-vain-jackdaw.htm, ha you have a point sir :D!

Farlander1991
12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
*googles* http://www.taleswithmorals.com/the-vain-jackdaw.htm, ha you have a point sir :D!

Yeah, there's also a part in the game that says: "This is a Jackdaw, but if you ask him what his name is, he'd call himself an Eagle"

AngryRaisin
12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Way to highjack a thread, guys. Thanks!

AssassinHMS
12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah! Assassin’s Creed is AWESOME!!!........................................ .yup, this is definitely a huge contribution for the franchise.

Edit: And here I was, thinking that all Ubisoft cared about was money. Turns out, what they needed was love.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Way to highjack a thread, guys. Thanks!

No one is highjacking your thread, you manifested you thankfulness about the game, which is great, but it attracts reactions from others especially old timer fans of the series that may think differently than you do, that is normal that is a forum after all.

MnemonicSyntax
12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah! Assassin’s Creed is AWESOME!!!........................................ .yup, this is definitely a huge contribution for the franchise.

Edit: And here I was, thinking that all Ubisoft cared about was money. Turns out, what they needed was love.

Just like this post is a contribution to the thread, huh.

Why do you have to rain on people's parade. It's not all about you.

This is what I'm talking about. You can't just have a conversation, you have to insult others too, or take people down a peg.

And this isn't even an attack on you! I'm sure you'll find a way to twist it around on me though.

FrankieSatt
12-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Maybe people are critical because the game isn't up to their standards? Maybe the game isn't the best AC game it could be? Maybe the focus on being a Pirate was overdone compared to the little bit of you actually being an Assassin?

Just because you enjoyed it doesn't mean everyone else did and it doesn't mean that people can't be critical.

MnemonicSyntax
12-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Defensive much?

AssassinHMS
12-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Just like this post is a contribution to the thread, huh.

Why do you have to rain on people's parade. It's not all about you.

This is what I'm talking about. You can't just have a conversation, you have to insult others too, or take people down a peg.

And this isn't even an attack on you! I'm sure you'll find a way to twist it around on me though.

What? I didn't contribute to this thread?!! How dare you!?!

What is the point of this thread???????????............................To recognize the value of AC as a franchise!! So, unlike all those negative people out there in this negative world, I'm expressing my infatuation for Assassin’s Creed.

Do you see this??

Yeah! Assassin’s Creed is AWESOME!!!

I'm noticing you're enjoying following me everywhere and I've grown aware of your sudden mood shifts...............what's wrong? Do you need a friend?

Hahahahahahaha

MnemonicSyntax
12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
What? I didn't contribute to this thread?!! How dare you!?!

What is the point of this thread???????????............................To recognize the value of AC as a franchise!! So, unlike all those negative people out there in this negative world, I'm expressing my infatuation for Assassin’s Creed.

Do you see this??

I'm noticing you're enjoying following me everywhere and I've grown aware of your sudden mood shifts...............what's wrong? Do you need a friend?

Hahahahahahaha

LMAO, don't flatter yourself. I posted in this thread first.

And I'm a neuron short? Logic isn't part of your basic skill set, is it?

AssassinHMS
12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
LMAO, don't flatter yourself. I posted in this thread first.

And I'm a neuron short? Logic isn't part of your basic skill set, is it?

That's great......................................Now, let's all admire this never seen before thread.

Hans684
12-05-2013, 04:25 PM
AssassinHMS

MnemonicSyntax

Gett a room!

Landruner
12-05-2013, 05:45 PM
The biggest question I have right now - If some of us disagree and think that the game was okay for the pirate part, but seriously sucks donkey's balls on the Assassin parts, (Note: I am not saying that the entire game sucks, okay?) and some other agree that Ubisoft is milking the all package of this game by the horns of the cows we are - do we have to be considered as haters of the franchise and Ubisoft business practices, or just being treated as respectable and concerned customers and fans for just being honest and realistic?

Hans684
12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
The biggest question I have right now - If some of us disagree and think that the game was okay for the pirate part, but seriously sucks donkey's balls on the Assassin parts, (Note: I am not saying that the entire game sucks, okay?) and some other agree that Ubisoft is milking the all package of this game by the horns of the cows we are - do we have to be considered as haters of the franchise and Ubisoft business practices, or just being treated as respectable and concerned customers and fans for just being honest and realistic?

It still us just as much AC as the others, but if it 'sucks' or not is opinion. Your okay everything has faults either large or small, but still faults.

Everything today is milked, there is nothing big or special about it and GTA is just as 'milked' as AC. The only diffrence is that they don't release it yearly.

Agree, disagree or agree to disagree. Still changes nothing.

'Haters' or 'concerned customers' it's your money, vote with your wallet. And Ubisoft is a business like every other business, they like every other business need money as it's oil to keep moving, theire 'business practices' is like very other business. But if Ubisoft want big money they should do as GTA.

Everything has a limit(except PI, human stupidity and the Univers.) but being honest is good. However in term of being realistic, then it Ubisoft that has to act. If AC only gott hatred, criticism or what ever you call it Ubisoft would be forced to succeed if they want to continue yearly releases or abandon the series or go the GTA rute with more years bettwen but still 'milk' it.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 08:46 PM
It still us just as much AC as the others, but if it 'sucks' or not is opinion. Your okay everything has faults either large or small, but still faults.

Everything today is milked, there is nothing big or special about it and GTA is just as 'milked' as AC. The only diffrence is that they don't release it yearly.

Agree, disagree or agree to disagree. Still changes nothing.

'Haters' or 'concerned customers' it's your money, vote with your wallet. And Ubisoft is a business like every other business, they like every other business need money as it's oil to keep moving, theire 'business practices' is like very other business. But if Ubisoft want big money they should do as GTA.

Everything has a limit(except PI, human stupidity and the Univers.) but being honest is good. However in term of being realistic, then it Ubisoft that has to act. If AC only gott hatred, criticism or what ever you call it Ubisoft would be forced to succeed if they want to continue yearly releases or abandon the series or go the GTA rute with more years bettwen but still 'milk' it.

Perhaps what we need are dedicated hate and praise threads. I've seen it on other forums...and it works. It prevents nonsense back and forth arguments from happening in every "I loved the game"/"I hated the game" thread.

Hans684
12-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Perhaps what we need are dedicated hate and praise threads. I've seen it on other forums...and it works. It prevents nonsense back and forth arguments from happening in every "I loved the game"/"I hated the game" thread.

A good idea if it has worked before but people are unpredicteble. still worth to try.

MIA SILENT
12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Assassin's Creed is a great series of games, no doubt. But for me personally franchise fatigue has been firmly rooted. With ACIV they've added in a huge feature to the series (sailing). But while that's great and everything, they're still playing it too safe in terms of the games core mechanics and gameplay. The series is still incredibly too easy. The AI are still brain dead. These games never present a challenge. It's a mature rated game, it's about time the narrative and gameplay represented that. Look to the Witcher series. Glad you're so in love with the series though, OP. I wish I could get that feeling back.