PDA

View Full Version : Objective reminder

MaceoniK
12-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Black Flag is a beautiful game and the best moments in the game are during the main missions/memories, unfortunately these moments are ruined by the constant objective reminder that's on screen the entire time!... I prefer to play without any HUD items and the fact that there's no option to remove this ugly and frankly unnecessary bit of text, baffles me.

There is a message on the main menu (news centre) stating - "Have you tried turning off the HUD? For an even greater challenge and more immersive , scenic experience, turn off all the HUD elements by"... Well it's not a very immersive, scenic experience with this on screen the whole time -

http://theimagehost.net/upload/2673e344ae4c3928e3906284e6971440.jpg

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 03:18 AM
I agree 100%, was one of the most annoying things in the game for me (which means it was a pretty good game ;) ). If I want a reminder of the objective all I need to do is pause and check the progress tracker. Even if this is not patched for AC4 I hope it's considered in the future :)!

"No HUD" should mean no HUD

MaceoniK
12-05-2013, 03:27 AM
I started a thread about this exact issue over a week ago and for some reason it was moved to the 'Assassin's Creed Hints & Tips' sub forum:confused:,... hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Dude, the hud is freaking broken. I did that "turn all off" thing the other day, and then I decided I only wanted to play with the health bar, character icon, and puppeteer so it would be like classic AC, and I would only have some cool HUD stuff at the top. But it turns out if you don't have the radar on, the Y button on the puppeteer glitches the hell out whenever you look at anything half graphically intensive and button gets cut in half over and over. So I now have to play with radar again, and since I already have the radar on it looks weird not to have the weapon icon on and be symmetrical. So this is what I play with for now;

Breath: off
Crew meter: off
SSI: off (I like that the enemies don't have the big red exclamation points over their head when countering, makes things a bit more fun and slightly more challenging because you have to pay attention. I get shot slightly more if there's a dude on a rooftop I didn't see, but most of the time I notice the camera zooming out, the enemies walking back slightly, and the human shield prompt in the puppeteer. Although I think the first two only happen if the guy is a sniper, so there's that.)
Health: on
Radar: on
Puppeteer: on
Tutorials: off (I still see thinks like "press A to break guard" every once in a while, like wtf."
Updates: on
Weapon indicator: on
Character Icon: on

MaceoniK
12-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Bump

rataven
12-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Came over to the forums to log this exact complaint, so I'm really glad to see this topic already started! I only began the game last night, but like every AC game, first thing I did was turn the HUD completely off. Yet the objective reminder remains, so I put the game back on the shelf because I found it so intrusive. Figured it had to be a glitch (I mean, we clearly don't need to be constantly reminded to save the merchant up until the point in which we do via this onscreen text, so I was sure it was an error) and that it would be better to wait for a patch and then pick the game back up again.

I also had to laugh at the 'tip' on the main menu screen to turn the HUD off for a more immersive experience. Ubi seems to get that a lot of people play AC games that way, yet they don't do any quality assurance on the HUD to verify that it is, in fact, entirely off. After so many games, you'd figure they'd get it by now!

SomaXD
12-08-2013, 04:18 AM
I posted about this in the original Assassins Creed forums back when it came out and nothing came of it. (AC1!)
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/736933-How-do-i-Turn-off-Obectives-on-the-HUD?p=8786098#post8786098

But once again its present in ACIV.

PLEASE UBISOFT... Let us turn off the Objective HUD.. its ugly and unnecessary and ruins the immersion! ive been saying this for 6 games now... let us remove objectives!!!!

lhevans
12-08-2013, 01:38 PM
The text IS distractive man id like to see an option to disable it

TruGamer97
12-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Honestly, I never really noticed it myself.

guardian_titan
12-08-2013, 08:07 PM
For those that like to admire the scenery or go on screenshotting sprees of the game, the UI can be quite an eyesore. I've finally felt I've gotten good enough with the series to run without the UI to take screenshots with FRAPS only to find some elements just don't turn off. Disappointed me. Such a shame AC4 doesn't let you turn off everything, too, given the graphics of various areas like the waterfalls, storms, etc. Hopefully it can be patched since it appears to be just 1 element that won't turn off.

MaceoniK
12-09-2013, 07:50 AM
I've been playing without the HUD for a while now and have noticed a few more unwanted HUD elements that you're unable to turn off:-

.All side mission activities objectives, i.e plantations, navel and assassination contracts, save the pirates and catch the courier.

.When entering a situation where you need to identify a target to kill, tail or loot, you get a reminder telling you to enter eagle vision (is it even still called eagle vision?).

.When in combat mode you still get reminders telling you to press A (xbox) to break enemies defence.

.When entering a restricted area (red zone) you get an on screen text reminding you.

Also certain elements that you can turn off are a bit glitchy 'like Kagurra explains' and I've noticed that sometimes when you move near a dead guard that you can loot ammo from, the button icon flashes on for a split second.

I'm no game developer, and I have no idea 'technically' how they would implement an option to remove these extra HUD elements, so maybe I'm being completely ignorant when I say - it can't be that hard to remove a simple bit of text.

SomaXD
12-21-2013, 07:57 AM
I've been playing without the HUD for a while now and have noticed a few more unwanted HUD elements that you're unable to turn off:-

.All side mission activities objectives, i.e plantations, navel and assassination contracts, save the pirates and catch the courier.

.When entering a situation where you need to identify a target to kill, tail or loot, you get a reminder telling you to enter eagle vision (is it even still called eagle vision?).

.When in combat mode you still get reminders telling you to press A (xbox) to break enemies defence.

.When entering a restricted area (red zone) you get an on screen text reminding you.

Also certain elements that you can turn off are a bit glitchy 'like Kagurra explains' and I've noticed that sometimes when you move near a dead guard that you can loot ammo from, the button icon flashes on for a split second.

I'm no game developer, and I have no idea 'technically' how they would implement an option to remove these extra HUD elements, so maybe I'm being completely ignorant when I say - it can't be that hard to remove a simple bit of text.

I mentioned this before as well in AC3 threads... its like tutorials throughout the entire game...

Hey Ubisoft... im not stupid... after the first chapter, i KNOW HOW TO BACK VAULT, ASSASSINATE BY PRESSING SQUARE, and EVERY other move in the game... stop treating me like a baby and holding my hand till the end of the game, its patronizing and annoying to think i need to be reminded how to jump, or hide... seriously stop forcing hints,tips,tutorials and other HUD elements meant for noobs... this is the 7th game in the series... ive known how to do this stuff for years now, stop shoving it in my face. (at least have the option to turn it off, not every gamer who plays this game is dumb, so stop treating us like we are... its offensive.)

Suffran
12-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Honestly, I never really noticed it myself.

Sorry but how could you not have noticed a huge and conspicuous reminder that almost captures one third of the screen?

I absolutely agree with the original poster. I've been upset about this since AC1 and think too that Ubisoft must believe we are intellectually challenged. The entire game feels like an endless tutorial with text reminders every 30 seconds. Even in the last chapter I am forced to read things like "press square to hit" etc., WTF?

Far Cry 3 with its golden flashing weapons/animals/corpses and thousand indicators was also ruined by your silly "brainless-gamer-design".

I have decided that I will not buy any other Assassin's Creed game until Ubisoft backs down and changes this. After so many games, this is just unacceptable - period.
It completely destroys the immersion for me and made me stop playing AC3 after a few hours. Now, in Black Flag, I am on the brink of tossing the game in the trash because of this.

UBISOFT, listen to your faithful community and release a patch soon! Otherwise, this was the last time I bought a game of yours....

Fatal-Feit
12-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Agreed. The HUD really needs more work. I've always been a fan of the simple and sleek HUD in these games, but the Kenway Saga have made them really annoying. For one, they aren't as sleek and beautiful as the Ezio Trilogy. And two, it's almost like the mission objectives were designed to be annoying.

I remember a contract asking me to sink a level 2 Pirate Hunter. ****ING HELL, THEY KEEP TELLING ME !HOW! TO DO IT EVERY 10 SECONDS, NO EXAGGERATION! Never have I ever felt like getting a refund of an AC title.

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Meh. I am one of those folks who completely turns off all HUD elements, but the objective reminder never bothers me.

oliacr
12-28-2013, 12:37 PM
It haven't bothered me yet. So basically just give an option.