PDA

View Full Version : Something Isn't Right...

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Something is up. Last year, we got teasers, trailers, and a LOT of info about TOKW, and it first released in Feb I think. But now, we get almost nothing and Freedom Cry comes out in 13 days?

This DLC is probably not as big as TOKW, but that leads me to confusion. That can't be all the DLC they have in store for us. Sure, there will be DLC to unlock all the previously retailer specific content, and some MP DLC but then that's it? How?

Do you think we could be expected some surprise DLC later on? Or are they focusing everything on AC5 now?

It is unlike them to finish up all the MAIN DLC before the year is even over. What is going on?

What kind of surprise DLC would you like for AC4?

IWGCJoeCool
12-05-2013, 02:09 AM
ditto, seems strange after the long wait for ToKW, and that in installments, that Freedom Cry is coming so soon, and is that all there is?

DisbandedBox359
12-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Agreed not even two months after the release date and barely any coverage, there must be something else coming out they haven't revealed, at least I hope so

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Because the King Washington DLC was super mega garbage, and it was hyped up a lot. They probably know this one sucks too, so they aren't pushing it as much. I'm personally staying away from it, but from what I've seen it doesn't look nearly as bad as King Washington considering Ade doesn't have super powers. I honestly had no idea it was episodic until just recently, so that also sucks. I'd prefer if they waited like a month or two and then just released the whole thing.

IWGCJoeCool
12-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Because the King Washington DLC was super mega garbage, and it was hyped up a lot. They probably know this one sucks too, so they aren't pushing it as much. I'm personally staying away from it, but from what I've seen it doesn't look nearly as bad as King Washington considering Ade doesn't have super powers. I honestly had no idea it was episodic until just recently, so that also sucks. I'd prefer if they waited like a month or two and then just released the whole thing.

ToKW was what it was, an Apple induced dream sequence, anything possible in a dream...you wouldnt believe some of the extra-normal, almost super-powered things i can do in my own dreams. i thought they integrated the Wolf/Eagle/Bear pretty well, and they became fun to play, enhancing gameplay skills developed since the original.

DisbandedBox359
12-05-2013, 02:37 AM

It's in episode's again? Didn't know that, was kinda hoping the whole thing would come out as one.

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 03:16 AM

I loved TOKW. More than the main game. Also, where did you hear Freedom Cry was episodic?

phoenix-force411
12-05-2013, 03:21 AM
I don't like these DLCs that have nothing to do with the main plot besides TOKW, that one wasn't related to the story, but it shows what happened when Washington and Connor held the apple. Question is, where did that apple come from? I'm surprised no one's bein' racist about Ade's DLC unlike when Aveline first came out. Racist people were bein' racist and some were bein' sexist about a black female assassin.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 03:24 AM
I don't like these DLCs that have nothing to do with the main plot besides TOKW, that one wasn't related to the story, but it shows what happened when Washington and Connor held the apple. Question is, where did that apple come from? I'm surprised no one's bein' racist about Ade's DLC unlike when Aveline first came out. Racist people were bein' racist and some were bein' sexist about a black female assassin.

I'm probably the least sexist person, but I really wouldn't want a female protagonist in a main AC game. It's just not... badass, at least not in the same way I like my AC games to be. I think one of the devs said that it wouldn't be unlikely to see another "leading lady", but maybe it'll be a DLC or a side game like Liberation.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 03:25 AM
It's in episode's again? Didn't know that, was kinda hoping the whole thing would come out as one.

Yeah, I think I read on the main menu something like "The first episode of Freecry will be available in 10 days!" or whenever it comes out.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 03:34 AM
May Ade is going to be more Assassin than Edward was? - Freedom's Creed or Assassin's Cry?

TheDanteEX
12-05-2013, 03:39 AM
I'm probably the least sexist person, but I really wouldn't want a female protagonist in a main AC game. It's just not... badass, at least not in the same way I like my AC games to be. I think one of the devs said that it wouldn't be unlikely to see another "leading lady", but maybe it'll be a DLC or a side game like Liberation.

I'm positive you know this already, but I'll explain for those who don't have an open mind; sex doesn't define everything about a character. And if it does, the writing is bad. Besides, it depends on what you consider to be badass. I think Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice is badass, but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree. They could change Edward's sex and the dialogue a bit and the game would be the same with a female protagonist. It doesn't have to be designed around a female.

AdamPearce
12-05-2013, 03:40 AM
I see it coming...it's gonna smash everyone in the face....the 1 hour 10$ cheap DLC that needed a CGI trailer because the content was so poor that if they'd show us a real gameplay trailer we've known the entire game! And thaT's the not the worst part, people are actually gonna buy this crap and push Ubisoft to create more crap, hmm love it, AC is turning into CoD.

RoBg03
12-05-2013, 04:03 AM
I'm positive you know this already, but I'll explain for those who don't have an open mind; sex doesn't define everything about a character. And if it does, the writing is bad. Besides, it depends on what you consider to be badass. I think Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice is badass, but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree. They could change Edward's sex and the dialogue a bit and the game would be the same with a female protagonist. It doesn't have to be designed around a female.

you're speaking from a modern perspective. being historically based, we have to remember that for the majority of human history its been a 'mans world'. that said, i think the age of piracy may have worked for a female protag...with many social mores being different from the rest of the world. i can't however see general washington, giovani medici, etc taking advice/counsel from a woman. maybe i'm wrong, maybe they would, but you have to think of these characters in the context of their time. i haven't played liberation though, so i don't know how well aveline worked.

TheDanteEX
12-05-2013, 04:07 AM
You're right I was being much too broad and using the wrong words. The context of the game would definitely change depending on the sex of the protagonist, what I should have said is the character doesn't have to. You can write for a female character as you would for a male character. But the world around them would react accordingly. My apologies.

HypeR.tgL
12-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Nah, I reckon Freedom Cry is gonna be the first and last mission DLC we'll see for AC IV, the main reason they're releasing it so early opposed to TOKW is because of Liberation HD, which is coming out in the 1st quarter of 2014, but then again, I don't even know the release date of Liberation HD.

I'm just looking at this from a sales perspective mainly tbh. There might be more mission dlc, but I doubt they'll produce good DLC, DLC missions nowdays in most games is disappointing *cough* Batman Arkham Origins *cough*.

Savage Baird LE
12-05-2013, 04:13 AM
It's episodic? Whaaaaaat?

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 04:22 AM

I believe one of the rune puzzles from AC2 or ACB mentioned that Washington came into possession of an Apple during his stint and president.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 04:25 AM
I see it coming...it's gonna smash everyone in the face....the 1 hour 10$ cheap DLC that needed a CGI trailer because the content was so poor that if they'd show us a real gameplay trailer we've known the entire game! And thaT's the not the worst part, people are actually gonna buy this crap and push Ubisoft to create more crap, hmm love it, AC is turning into CoD.

Gah....I'm so tired of seeing CoD references.

Megas_Doux
12-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Two things:

1 The Tyranny was a DLC that included a "God of War" like alternate reality, in which Connor has magical powers, also one the original maps was considerably altered. Which leads me to thing that although risky this soon, Freedom Cry is "just" a closure to Adewale´s history and a possible hint at the next step of the modern part of the game

2 I think ubisoft learnt that "overhyped" its products, whereas good in terms on sales, kinda "damages" the reception they get, mostly if expectations are not met..... Do not get me wrong, I really like AC III and in some areas is my favorite in the series, but it has HEAVY flaws, and still, Ubi sold the game as it was the best thing ever.

Edit: I dig the ACL HD theory too.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 04:41 AM
Gah....I'm so tired of seeing CoD references.

Just for you, and because you mentioned above that you are tired of it :rolleyes:- Creed of Duty! :p hope it gives you more energy now! LOL!

Landruner
12-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Two things:

1 The Tyranny was a DLC that included a "God of War" like alternate reality, in which Connor has magical powers, also one the original maps was considerably altered. Which leads me to thing that although risky this soon, Freedom Cry is "just" a closure to Adewale´s history and a possible hint at the next step of the modern part of the game

2 I think ubisoft learnt that "overhyped" its products, whereas good in terms on sales, kinda "damages" the reception they get, mostly if expectations are not met..... Do not get me wrong, I really like AC III and in some areas is my favorite in the series, but it has HEAVY flaws, and still, Ubi sold the game as it was the best thing ever.

Edit: I dig the ACL HD theory too.

Do you remember Peeeeter Molyneux, Lionhead and Fable 3? AC3 was the same result for Ubisoft, pretty close.
Actually the paradox after AC3 is that AC4 had been actually the most over hyped of the game of the franchise by the company with about 20 different trailers and by the tabloids, to a point that it started to be suspicious to the mass and even from the reviewers, but we were wrong, the game is good, could have been better sometimes, but still good.
So, let cross your toes and hope the Freedom Cry is a good and tangible addition.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Nah, I reckon Freedom Cry is gonna be the first and last mission DLC we'll see for AC IV, the main reason they're releasing it so early opposed to TOKW is because of Liberation HD, which is coming out in the 1st quarter of 2014, but then again, I don't even know the release date of Liberation HD.

I'm just looking at this from a sales perspective mainly tbh. There might be more mission dlc, but I doubt they'll produce good DLC, DLC missions nowdays in most games is disappointing *cough* Batman Arkham Origins *cough*.

What you wrote above seems to be logical and it makes sense - However; I believe that it should be a mistake from Ubisoft of not exploiting and expanding this game with additional material - The reason is that in two years from now, they could re- release it with the all package and make more money from it.

DarktheMagister
12-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Just for you, and because you mentioned above that you are tired of it :rolleyes:- Creed of Duty! :p hope it gives you more energy now! LOL!

One of these day Landruner.....One of these days..... BAM! POW! Straight to the moon!

MaceoniK
12-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Going back to the o.p... I think there could be some surprise DLC, because if you select the Aveline section (soon to be DLC section) on the main menu, you then get sent to this screen -

http://theimagehost.net/upload/2eec42e06fe7be422696bb3b3e4270c2.jpg

which looks like there are going to be multiple names listed, including Adewale and maybe/hopefully Connor... I think I heard somewhere that Ubisoft would not be making another full game dedicated to Connor, but they never said anything about DLC, and I just don't think they would leave Connor's story untold as it currently is.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Hm, maybe Freedom Cry isn't episodic. I swear I saw that somewhere though.

MaceoniK
12-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Hm, maybe Freedom Cry isn't episodic. I swear I saw that somewhere though.

It say's it here -

http://theimagehost.net/upload/19209df6d9f5f0715af21b8ca07394a6.jpg

Judging by the way it's worded, I would say it is episodic, but considering Freedom Cry has only nine missions and only 4+ hours gamplay, I don't think they would stretch that out over more than 2 episodes, so I'm hoping for a conclusion to Connors story through DLC.

guardian_titan
12-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Guess Ubisoft is either hiding a secret single player DLC from us (possible featuring Edward post-AC4) or they just wanted to be done with the Kenways and toss them out with the trash to be on to the next game faster. >.> Rip the bandaid off as fast as possible to lessen the pain. Seems so strange to release Adéwalé's DLC so quickly after putting off ToKW for so long. A ploy for game sales around the winter holidays perhaps? Liberation's re-release shouldn't effect AC4. Not like that game got a massive update or will be getting DLC after release. The game got a few tweaks, a few missions added to smooth out the story bumps (which it sorely needed), and is standalone.

But at least this isn't like Tomb Raider. If I recall, that game wasn't getting any single player DLC. It was multiplayer all the way. So at least we're getting something for single player ... although it seems to be getting smaller as each game is released. DLC used to be intergrated into the games. Now you can only access the larger ones via a menu. All you get anymore is the tiny non-story advancing ones in the game. Benedict Arnold might be the last one that's semi-integrated into the game.

If DLC was an afterthought before, they sure seem like an afterthought now when the only way you can access them is via a menu option rather than running somewhere in the game itself. I would've preferred hacking a fellow employee's computer to access the DLC. Put it in a room only accessible with an access card you get when the DLC is unlocked.
George Washington actually states where he got his Apple in ToKW. He states he got it off a captured officer at Yorktown which was Oct 19, 1781. It was in Episode 3 during the video you can view once you find all 3 lucid memory fragments. If the ToKW story occurred just prior to Washington being president (given the conversation Washington has with the illusion at the end), had to be 1788 which means Washington had the Apple a good 7 years. I did find the conversation Washington had with the illusion actually never happened, though. It's a good story, but Washington was never offered a crown. Same story with the cherry tree. Makes you wonder what other lies have been perpetuated over the years. The story of Old Glory and Betsy Ross I know to be a lie as well. Betsy Ross's son or grandson (forgot which) spread the lie his (grand)mother sewed Old Glory and the lie persists 200 years later. The Smithsonian's trying to correct it, but it's a lie that won't die.
As for a female protagonist, could work in ancient Egypt. Believe it or not, women at the time could own businesses, divorce their husbands, and live on their own. Once the Egyptian Empire fell to the Romans, we lost that until recently. But we already have Aquilius for that era so certainly a missed opportunity to use a woman there instead. Sparta might be another option. Spartan girls got the same training the boys did. Greek girls also got the same training as the boys but their's stopped after a certain age. Spartan girls didn't. An Amazonian Assassin might be interesting. Any other era ... I really don't see it. China is the only other place I can see it, but even Mulan had to dress as a man so why not just make the protagonist a man instead and cut the cross dressing story to put in something more relevant? They use a woman, don't have her cross dress to hide who she is. Either make her a woman and have her act like one (don't hide it but don't rub it in my face, either) or just make her a man. Every other era and location had women in the backseat to men. Would be rather abnormal to have a female assassin in top positions or influencing top men. Why would they listen to her? They could just throw her into prison or to the lions or something for breaking the norms. She could be burned as a witch or be ostracized for trying to act like a man. Aveline I found to be rather iffy in that regard since women weren't really that influential at the time. Most had an illusion of power that really came from their husbands or fathers. Without them, the women would've been nothing. Marie Antoinette wouldn't have been Queen of France without Louis XVI, Elizabeth I wouldn't have been Queen of England without Henry VIII. I'm sure Joan of Arc had men behind her. There's always a puppet master behind the puppet.

I'm a woman myself and do like female protagonists, but I want a realistic one. Not one pigeon-holed into the position just to have a female lead. I can't help but feel Aveline was pigeon-holed since she was originally intended to be a love interest for Connor.

And with sex being relevant when it comes to games, play Mass Effect. Male Shep and Fem Shep have nearly the same story outside of 1-2 lines a game that are sex specific. Romances are also a touch different, but swap Male Shep for Fem Shep and the story remains the same. So you can take Edward, change him to a woman, change some dialogue, and the story could play out the same ... except there would realistically be a lot of sexist pigs in the era trying to attack a female Edward. So doing a sex swap only works in a realistic situation. AC1, AC2, AC3, AC4? It doesn't really work. Swap Desmond for a woman, yeah, that can work. Aveline's story would need a LOT of editing to work since so much of the game's built around her being a woman ... which made it quite painful really. Yeah, she's a woman. Should that matter? To me, the amount of references to her being a woman (some more subtle than others) just made the game feel sexist to me. You don't have the other assassins being male thrown in your face ... outside of Ezio's womanizing in AC2 and early ACB and Edward's conversation with Black Bart late in the game regarding quicksilver. Can we get a game with a female assassin where she's effectively treated the same as a male and not have to use a gimmick like her bust to achieve something? :rolleyes: I really think her story could've been better if there wasn't so much emphasis on her being a woman. More of the story could've focused on other areas of the plot. Maybe that changed in the HD version, but I have no intention of getting it since I already have the Vita beta version.
Yes, I use sex and not gender. Sex is biological and can't be changed. It's in your DNA. Gender is more a social construct and can be changed. It's how others perceive you and how you act toward others. The day the series gets a drag queen Assassin is the day I'll start using gender. :p

TheDanteEX
12-05-2013, 06:38 AM
The Assassin's have seemingly been treating women as equals since AC2, so really, a female Assassin wouldn't be abnormal at all. Could they influence other people and would they be in top positions in the world? No, probably not. But that's not what an Assassin is or does. So unless AC wants to be entwined in politics like AC3 was, there's no reason not to have a female Assassin. They're supposed to appear to be normal people, aren't they?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Erm.... that's actually pretty sexist.

You're implying a female can't be as badass as a male. Why? What about a man makes them more badass?

Sorry but that "logic" makes absolutely no sense to me and I'm a guy. Strong leading women are great. Most of my stories involve women being badasses in some way, shape, or form. I hate when women are objectified in comics or games or movies (though the latter at least has been around longer and thus has had more time to offer more examples of great, strong women)

I would absolutely ADORE a female Assassin -- hood up, clad in white and red, slowly becomes better than her peers (men) despite no one believing she could since she was a woman (I'm assuming there'd be sexism in the game due to the time period being roughly between the dawn of mankind and now) and leading the Assassins in a badass way. For example... I thought the thief in Venice that Ezio first meets has an independent attitude and while the female Assassin character wouldn't have to be a b*tch (more or less) to show she's tough, having a great story, great personality, and great game would be fantastic.

Your comment sounds akin to "I'm not racist but I wouldn't want my daughter marrying a black man." Yeahhh...still racist. And it's pretty sexist to not want a female Assassin. I don't get why women need to be sidelined to DLC or spin off titles. -_-

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-05-2013, 12:58 PM
you're speaking from a modern perspective. being historically based, we have to remember that for the majority of human history its been a 'mans world'. that said, i think the age of piracy may have worked for a female protag...with many social mores being different from the rest of the world. i can't however see general washington, giovani medici, etc taking advice/counsel from a woman. maybe i'm wrong, maybe they would, but you have to think of these characters in the context of their time. i haven't played liberation though, so i don't know how well aveline worked.

I can. Sure not everyone would be as kind to a woman, especially one acting "like a man" but the Assassins were ALWAYS open minded...well for the most part. Ezio recruited female Assassins, Ezio worked with Da Vinci and had no issue with him being gay (the only thing is that before he realizes Da Vinci's sexual orientation, Leonardo mentions that women wouldn't be a distraction and Ezio doesn't quite understand what he means. That's not homophobic, it's just something he doesn't understand or is accustomed to.

We already know there are female assassins in multiple periods of history...Shao Jun, one or two statues of female Assassins in the Auditore Villa. would they have been as prevalent? Almost definitely not but I guarantee they were afforded the same privileges as male assassins. Assassins want everyone to be free.

You're right I was being much too broad and using the wrong words. The context of the game would definitely change depending on the sex of the protagonist, what I should have said is the character doesn't have to. You can write for a female character as you would for a male character. But the world around them would react accordingly. My apologies.

Eeeexactly. Women can be strong...and that doesn't mean they need to be some ponytailed fighter who uses a bunch of kicks -- talk about sexist. I'd rather a female Assassin using krav maga-type moves for hand to hand and wielding a blade the same as any dude.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Erm.... that's actually pretty sexist.

You're implying a female can't be as badass as a male. Why? What about a man makes them more badass?

Sorry but that "logic" makes absolutely no sense to me and I'm a guy. Strong leading women are great. Most of my stories involve women being badasses in some way, shape, or form. I hate when women are objectified in comics or games or movies (though the latter at least has been around longer and thus has had more time to offer more examples of great, strong women)

I would absolutely ADORE a female Assassin -- hood up, clad in white and red, slowly becomes better than her peers (men) despite no one believing she could since she was a woman (I'm assuming there'd be sexism in the game due to the time period being roughly between the dawn of mankind and now) and leading the Assassins in a badass way. For example... I thought the thief in Venice that Ezio first meets has an independent attitude and while the female Assassin character wouldn't have to be a b*tch (more or less) to show she's tough, having a great story, great personality, and great game would be fantastic.

Your comment sounds akin to "I'm not racist but I wouldn't want my daughter marrying a black man." Yeahhh...still racist. And it's pretty sexist to not want a female Assassin. I don't get why women need to be sidelined to DLC or spin off titles. -_-

It's not sexist to not want to play a female assassin. I'm already a girl, I just have no interest in playing a female assassin at the moment. That doesn't mean I hate playing female characters, for instance my main character in Borderlands was Lilith, I plan on having a female character Warlock in Destiny, etc. But in AC, I want more of "Fightin' like the devil; dressed.. as a man."

Also, about that female character from Venice in AC2 being tough... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KglhOgrYA_A

Now, Jack, on the other hand is a badass character.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 03:12 PM
It say's it here -

Judging by the way it's worded, I would say it is episodic, but considering Freedom Cry has only nine missions and only 4+ hours gamplay, I don't think they would stretch that out over more than 2 episodes, so I'm hoping for a conclusion to Connors story through DLC.

Yeah, that's actually the thing I saw. Totally forgot it was hidden in that menu. I think Connor's story had it's conclusion though. At least that's what the whole thing about pulling the axe out of the pillar was about.

twenty_glyphs
12-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I think Ubisoft overdid the AC3 DLC and got burned by it. I don't know any facts, but I'd guess that they were counting on AC3 to be well-received and thus they put a lot of effort into making a bigger DLC. My guess would be that TOKW didn't sell nearly as well as they wanted it to because so many people were disappointed in AC3 and stopped playing and didn't buy DLC (like me). I'm thinking the large price tag (50% of the original game's price? Seriously?) and long gap between game release and DLC didn't help either.

I'm glad they're doing a smaller, more focused DLC episode that's coming out sooner this time. I wouldn't mind one more similar episode coming out in February or March. I think the point of wanting Freedom Cry out earlier because Liberation is coming out January 15 is a good observation. They probably don't want to oversaturate players with too much to play at once.

Brotherhood's Da Vinci Disappearance remains the only real DLC that felt significant to me in the entire series' history. It wasn't long, but it was an interesting side story integrated into the open world of the game with fun, unique missions that felt like they refined on the original game in a lot of ways. It also focused on more First Civilization stuff, and had real story consequences by teasing us with the location of the Grand Temple and Desmond's coma.

silvermercy
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I personally loved ToKW. I think it was so much better than AC3 and very well done. (Even though the price was quite steep). Had never bought a DLC before. As far as why we haven't heard much of the new DLC I would agree with the fact it's probably smaller and they're going with the "less hype" approach.

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 04:33 PM
I personally loved ToKW. I think it was so much better than AC3 and very well done. (Even though the price was quite steep). Had never bought a DLC before. As far as why we haven't heard much of the new DLC I would agree with the fact it's probably smaller and they're going with the "less hype" approach.

Silver! You are alive!

As for this, I hope your wrong and the DLC isn't a measly two hours or so, but I expect you are correct. Even then, I will still buy it because the prospect of playing as the badass Adewale is awesome.

pacmanate
12-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Im defo waiting for reviews before buying this though, after that utter dog **** **** that was TOKW.

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Im defo waiting for reviews before buying this though, after that utter dog **** **** that was TOKW.

It was good.

pacmanate
12-05-2013, 05:16 PM
It was good.

If good means ****, then yeah.

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
If good means ****, then yeah.

Aye, but 'tis.

RoBg03
12-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I can. Sure not everyone would be as kind to a woman, especially one acting "like a man" but the Assassins were ALWAYS open minded...well for the most part. Ezio recruited female Assassins, Ezio worked with Da Vinci and had no issue with him being gay (the only thing is that before he realizes Da Vinci's sexual orientation, Leonardo mentions that women wouldn't be a distraction and Ezio doesn't quite understand what he means. That's not homophobic, it's just something he doesn't understand or is accustomed to.

We already know there are female assassins in multiple periods of history...Shao Jun, one or two statues of female Assassins in the Auditore Villa. would they have been as prevalent? Almost definitely not but I guarantee they were afforded the same privileges as male assassins. Assassins want everyone to be free.

Eeeexactly. Women can be strong...and that doesn't mean they need to be some ponytailed fighter who uses a bunch of kicks -- talk about sexist. I'd rather a female Assassin using krav maga-type moves for hand to hand and wielding a blade the same as any dude.

sure, the assassins by their nature are an open minded bunch and there have obviously been female assassins in the games, but the fact still remains that general society is not the same as the assassins and their creed. It might be neat to see a female protag having to deal with those problems...but when you go to insert that character in the middle of historical events it can become a little problematic. also, its not sexist to not want a female protagonist. can we please stop pretending that men and women are physically on par? lets take the PC blinders off for a minute. while yes, there are female gamers out there, for every one chick there are 20 dudes playing these games. and its not sexist for a male to want to play a male character with a male story line. that would be like me calling you gay for wanting to play a female assassin.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Freedom cry is only going to be 4 to 5 hours long depending on if we will be in the kenway world or if it will be done in the style of Aveline (Which I doubt)
I'm hoping they created a new open world for Adawale other wise I can go to my captains quarters and play as Connor Instead and go free pirates and pretend theyre slaves lol.
Either way this is the big bang - nothing else. AC IV was neer supposed to exist just like ACB and ACR werent so expect the same level of DLC.
However AC V is supposed to exist now so expect that to be a multi episode deal again :D
AC V will be announced in Feb and then we wait ;D

WE COULD MAYBEEE Get a Connor DLC but no trophy support ;D that would be a nice surprise lol...
But I think they are getting Freedom Cry out of the way to focus their marketing on AC3 Liberation coming to console in Jan :)

Landruner
12-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I think Ubisoft overdid the AC3 DLC and got burned by it. I don't know any facts, but I'd guess that they were counting on AC3 to be well-received and thus they put a lot of effort into making a bigger DLC. My guess would be that TOKW didn't sell nearly as well as they wanted it to because so many people were disappointed in AC3 and stopped playing and didn't buy DLC (like me). I'm thinking the large price tag (50% of the original game's price? Seriously?) and long gap between game release and DLC didn't help either.

I'm glad they're doing a smaller, more focused DLC episode that's coming out sooner this time. I wouldn't mind one more similar episode coming out in February or March. I think the point of wanting Freedom Cry out earlier because Liberation is coming out January 15 is a good observation. They probably don't want to oversaturate players with too much to play at once.

Brotherhood's Da Vinci Disappearance remains the only real DLC that felt significant to me in the entire series' history. It wasn't long, but it was an interesting side story integrated into the open world of the game with fun, unique missions that felt like they refined on the original game in a lot of ways. It also focused on more First Civilization stuff, and had real story consequences by teasing us with the location of the Grand Temple and Desmond's coma.

They are some good points that you mention above about the AC3/TOKW \'s DLCs but I believe that the biggest mistake was not providing a DLC that follows Connor post to the AC3' s ending rather than a parallel universe with Connor having super powers, even if the game was not well received they should try to go that way in order to reconcile people in a better way with the main character. I remember even before the release of the first DLC the tabloids were not that enthusiast to that setting and the critics upon release did not really help neither.

Also like you mention the DLCs are too expansive it is actually more than the price of the game brand new on the some websites.

For AC4 and Freedom Cry well I have no clue if it comes with only 9 missions that is not much, but if it comes with open world and a lot of different and additional contents that could be definitely a good DLC to get - However; with Ubisoft I have some reserves as well.

silvermercy
12-05-2013, 06:43 PM
sure, the assassins by their nature are an open minded bunch and there have obviously been female assassins in the games, but the fact still remains that general society is not the same as the assassins and their creed. It might be neat to see a female protag having to deal with those problems...but when you go to insert that character in the middle of historical events it can become a little problematic. also, its not sexist to not want a female protagonist. can we please stop pretending that men and women are physically on par? lets take the PC blinders off for a minute. while yes, there are female gamers out there, for every one chick there are 20 dudes playing these games. and its not sexist for a male to want to play a male character with a male story line. that would be like me calling you gay for wanting to play a female assassin.
I kinda agree with that (and I'm also female) except the bolded. There are WAY more female gamers than that, according to official stats at least which shows almost half of the gaming population is female. The stats may vary from game to game of course, especially when it comes to games like FIFA or games relating to car races etc, where I'd expect the majority to be male.

Anyway, even though I'd love to see more females in games (which would in turn attract even more female gamers) what I agree with is that you can't just force-insert a character just for the sake of change or variety.

edit: I forgot to say that from what I've personally noticed, what also attracts female gamers to MALE characters is when the male protagonists are likable strong well-developed characters (who are not powerful just for the sake of being powerful and also have certain likeable personality traits, i.e. they're not faceless zombie-killers. At least that's what I think. And hence, why AC is so popular with female gamers).

RoBg03
12-05-2013, 07:08 PM
I kinda agree with that (and I'm also female) except the bolded. There are WAY more female gamers than that, according to official stats at least which shows almost half of the gaming population is female. The stats may vary from game to game of course, especially when it comes to games like FIFA or games relating to car races etc, where I'd expect the majority to be male.

Anyway, even though I'd love to see more females in games (which would in turn attract even more female gamers) what I agree with is that you can't just force-insert a character just for the sake of change or variety.

edit: I forgot to say that from what I've personally noticed, what also attracts female gamers to MALE characters is when the male protagonists are likable strong well-developed characters (who are not powerful just for the sake of being powerful and also have certain likeable personality traits, i.e. they're not faceless zombie-killers. At least that's what I think. And hence, why AC is so popular with female gamers).

you may be right, there may be more female gamers then 20-1..that was more of an exageration for exagerations sake...but i highly doubt its almost 50-50....i'm not saying your wrong, i just know that when polls are taken on these types of things, huge portions of the populace are excluded...ppl like myself, i'm an adult male, who grew up with every system since NES. most the guys in my demo play games in one form or another and couldn't be bothered with taking a poll...the ones who would be more likely to be included are a younger demo. i'd say in that demo that yeah, theres a lot more female gamers, but i know very few 25-35 year old girls who play....all that said, i think a female protaganist could be great if written well...but sometimes male video game developers don't necissarily have the same isite into the female mind as a woman writer would....gotta get the gals involved.

Hans684
12-05-2013, 07:09 PM
They are some good points that you mention above about the AC3/TOKW \'s DLCs but I believe that the biggest mistake was not providing a DLC that follows Connor post to the AC3' s ending rather than a parallel universe with Connor having super powers, even if the game was not well received they should try to go that way in order to reconcile people in a better way with the main character. I remember even before the release of the first DLC the tabloids were not that enthusiast to that setting and the critics upon release did not really help neither.

Also like you mention the DLCs are too expansive it is actually more than the price of the game brand new on the some websites.

For AC4 and Freedom Cry well I have no clue if it comes with only 9 missions that is not much, but if it comes with open world and a lot of different and additional contents that could be definitely a good DLC to get - However; with Ubisoft I have some reserves as well.

The part showing how they gott to the alternate reality is sett after AC3. The DLC was confirmed to be canon.

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
It say's it here -

Our very first downloadable episode: That really sounds like there might be more DLCs. Other than Freedom Cry. Because I am positive Freedom cry is not episodic

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Come to think of it, the Aveline DLC ended rather abruptly and hinted at a continuation...

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Come to think of it, the Aveline DLC ended rather abruptly and hinted at a continuation...

Lol, umm, no way they are continuing that. Those crappy exclusive DLCs are basically supposed to be like that.

But I definitely would not mind seeing Aveline and Patience go to connor

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Lol, umm, no way they are continuing that. Those crappy exclusive DLCs are basically supposed to be like that.

But I definitely would not mind seeing Aveline and Patience go to connor

That's what I mean...another DLC with Connor training Gibbs or something similar...just SOMETHING Connor, and I will perform acts of depravity on Yves.

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 08:54 PM
That's what I mean...another DLC with Connor training Gibbs or something similar...just SOMETHING Connor, and I will perform acts of depravity on Yves.

Yves has nothing to do with it.

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Yves has nothing to do with it.

Uhmmm... Darby? Jill Murray?

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Uhmmm... Darby? Jill Murray?

I don't think Darby will write any of the DLCs. Umm, IDK, How about yourself?

Shahkulu101
12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think Darby will write any of the DLCs. Umm, IDK, How about yourself?

Been there, done that.

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Been there, done that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised

LoyalACFan
12-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Wait... I didn't know this was episodic either...

They've been touting nine missions. Does that mean JUST episode 1 is nine missions with more to come, or they're selling three episodes of three missions each? Because if it's the latter, I'm boycotting the DLC even though I've already got the season pass. That's total bullsh*t.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Wait... I didn't know this was episodic either...

They've been touting nine missions. Does that mean JUST episode 1 is nine missions with more to come, or they're selling three episodes of three missions each? Because if it's the latter, I'm boycotting the DLC even though I've already got the season pass. That's total bullsh*t.

I've been badly burned by season passes. Never again. Always disappointing.

LoyalACFan
12-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I've been badly burned by season passes. Never again. Always disappointing.

This is actually the first one I've ever bought. I should've known better, but I was awestruck by AC4 and thought it would be a good idea. Then I found out Freedom Cry was written by Jill Murray, the "mastermind" behind Aveline's godawful content. I'm expecting nothing.

So yeah, never again.

ArabianFrost
12-05-2013, 09:37 PM
This is actually the first one I've ever bought. I should've known better, but I was awestruck by AC4 and thought it would be a good idea. Then I found out Freedom Cry was written by Jill Murray, the "mastermind" behind Aveline's godawful content. I'm expecting nothing.

So yeah, never again.

But I really liked all of her stories behind the templar hunt sequences, especially the Nassau and Havana sequences (tapai was aight). It's quite unfait to judge her on a silly 30 minute story .

mikeyf1999
12-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Just to let you know it's supposed to seem sexist because of the timeline, it's in the 1700s women didn't get equal rights until the 19th Amendment so yeah the amount of references is probably how people acted during that time

MaceoniK
12-06-2013, 02:23 AM
I think Connor's story had it's conclusion though. At least that's what the whole thing about pulling the axe out of the pillar was about.

Usually the AC franchise concludes there characters stories at death.

adventurewomen
12-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Something is going on.. it's a strange feeling. We have been left in the dark, without no knowledge of the Future. What's up with that Ubisoft? :eek:

DisbandedBox359
12-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Something is going on.. it's a strange feeling. We have been left in the dark, without no knowledge of the Future. What's up with that Ubisoft? :eek:

They like to be mysterious, I'm not worried about the future, a short life and a merry one :D

Betrayer11
12-06-2013, 03:10 AM
What kind of surprise DLC would you like for AC4?

As I said in another thread, I want an extended memories pack like we had in AC2 that adds in more to the main single player mission. I want to play as Edward the privateer and get to see more of him and Thatch and Hornigold as a trio of friends, would also allow for more with Kidd to explain why they like Edward so much. I want to see more of social interaction and worldbuilding.

The main story was really focused on the observatory, to the point of some events that happened off-screen sounded more interesting than the missions we got (like after you get stuck on an island, it cuts from Edward seeing a ship on the horizon to you in a bar laughing with your friends about how Edward single handily seized a ship. WHY DIDN'T WE GET TO PLAY THAT ARGH). They sort of umbrella this with the real-world segments talking about Abstergo corporate politics, but DLC content allows for post-game exploring of Edward's life.

I-Like-Pie45
12-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Probably because Freedom Cry is cut content that's already on disc.