PDA

View Full Version : AC Puzzles have become too easy

Betrayer11
12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
The puzzles in AC games used to be challenging, particularly the subject 16 ones.

These days, when anyone who is stuck on a puzzle can just load up a spoiler site on their phone to help them out, there is no excuse for easy puzzles. You can't say that you might drive away customers if the puzzles are too easy, and there are plenty of people who ARE attracted to difficult puzzles.

Yet, the puzzles in AC4 are so easy, it's just insulting. During one puzzle, the difficulty the characters in-game are having figuring it out is so unbelievable that their conversation made me feel like I was playing a Dora the Explorer game, not Assassin's Creed.

"This block is RED. Can YOU see where the red block goes?"

Rather than complex puzzles that provide additional information each step of the way, like we had in previous games, we have... a frogger hacking minigame. Yay?

This is just really, really unsatisfying. Please put in some real puzzles in the future.

mikeyf1999
12-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Since when have the puzzles ever been hard the Subject 16 puzzles were easy to me and always has been and I'm 14 (played Subject 16 puzzles when I was 9-10) without looking them up

mikeyf1999
12-04-2013, 11:58 PM
By the way not everybody thinks that the puzzles are easy so yeah

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Pretty sure those sites existed in 2009.

And those puzzles were pretty fing easy brah

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Agree completely. If you are gonna make puzzles as easy as in AC4, it's better to just leave them out. One sort of general issue with AC is that they want everyone to consume all content. Therefor they make puzzles designed for people who don't enjoy puzzles, combat for people who don't like combat and so on. Problem is that people who actually enjoy these activities get bored very quickly.

MnemonicSyntax
12-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Agree completely. If you are gonna make puzzles as easy as in AC4, it's better to just leave them out. One sort of general issue with AC is that they want everyone to consume all content. Therefor they make puzzles designed for people who don't enjoy puzzles, combat for people who don't like combat and so on. Problem is that people who actually enjoy these activities get bored very quickly.

You've got this forum figured out to a T, sir. Applause!

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 12:27 AM
You've got this forum figured out to a T, sir. Applause!

Have no ide what that means, but tnx :confused:

dxsxhxcx
12-05-2013, 12:30 AM
what about the mayan stones "puzzles"?! (IMO a) wasted opportunity, story and gameplay wise...

mikeyf1999
12-05-2013, 12:32 AM
And who's to say that there aren't people who actually enjoy all of it like me, the puzzles are mainly just part of the story, it's not like RE2 where if you didn't know about it you could spend hours trying to find out how to advance the story (atleast i did)

Hrafnagud72
12-05-2013, 01:34 AM
The thing I miss is the puzzles to get objects like keys to unlock armor. It wasn't just sail here, spin a thing around until it lines up and then hop down and press a button and it's done. I remember actually having to explore underground or through a building or church.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Let face it people and we have to be lucid, most of the majority of people that play ACs are not only the first fans of the franchise anymore, they downsized and make everything easier since the age's surveys show in majority that they are mostly kids and pre-teens that play the games now, not young adults or adults.

I feel old, and Ubisoft reminds me it after each AC release.:p

The games are becoming more and more accessible to anyone now in order to get the maximum of sales. The price of what with comes with popularity

(A bit like an indie music band that plays for their fans first, and when the band starts being more successful it become commercial and the band tries to get the more people to listen to their music to the point where the first fans don't any longer like that band because of it)

AdamPearce
12-05-2013, 03:22 AM
Let face it people and we have to be lucid, most of the majority of people that play ACs are not only the first fans of the franchise anymore, they downsized and make everything easier since the age's surveys show in majority that they are mostly kids and pre-teens that play the games now, not young adults or adults.

I feel old, and Ubisoft reminds me it after each AC release.:p

The games are becoming more and more accessible to anyone now in order to get the maximum of sales. The price of what with comes with popularity

(A bit like an indie music band that plays for their fans first, and when the band starts being more successful it become commercial and the band tries to get the more people to listen to their music to the point where the first fans don't any longer like that band because of it)

Then why not redirect the game for a more mature public, why does Ubisoft persist on hitting 11 years-old? They have game for those (Rayman, The Crew, The rabbits, Just Dance) and they have mature game for mature people, but they don't seem to understand that.

+ To anyone sayin AC2-ACB puzzles were 'easy', either you're a freaking genuis, either you just don't know what you're talking about. Even trought they aren't super hard puzzle that demands hours to solve, they still needs you to think (ex: the images that you'd have to turn around and around, these needed you to think, youcloudn't just rendomly change the circles). That's the major difference between ACII-B puzles and Black Flag puzzles.

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 03:31 AM
Then why not redirect the game for a more mature public, why does Ubisoft persist on hitting 11 years-old? They have game for those (Rayman, The Crew, The rabbits, Just Dance) and they have mature game for mature people, but they don't seem to understand that.

+ To anyone sayin AC2-ACB puzzles were 'easy', either you're a freaking genuis, either you just don't know what you're talking about. Even trought they aren't super hard puzzle that demands hours to solve, they still needs you to think (ex: the images that you'd have to turn around and around, these needed you to think, youcloudn't just rendomly change the circles). That's the major difference between ACII-B puzles and Black Flag puzzles.

Yeah I just replayed AC2 and you can't compare the puzzles in that game with say the Mayan stones in AC4. I thought the puzzles in AC2 had a good level of challenge. You had to think for a moment, but didn't take too long to solve. And there was a hint system to prevent people from getting stuck. In AC4 you just rotate the sticks a bit and you're done. The puzzles in AC4 reminds me of this:

All you have to do is to match a simple shape, just as in the toy below.

http://www.smultronbyn.se/public/img/user/BB001_-_Posting_Box.jpg

Gi1t
12-05-2013, 03:51 AM

Agreed. :D

That might be the quintessential statement of criticism for AC really. XD In general, it works; they put effort into making it, but when it comes to certain aspects of the game, the high bar is just too low for a lot of more enthusiastic gamers.

Honestly, I agree about puzzles in general. I think puzzles as a whole have become pretty laughable in most games and in some of the games that do have obnoxious puzzles, the answers are waaaaaayy to obscure and that's also because people can just look it up. -__- I miss puzzles that make you think a bit, but that you actually CAN solve on your own, too. Player should have the info they need to solve the puzzle themselves, but too many games either spell it out for you or throw in some cheap thing that's really not complex at all, it's just something no logical person would ever think of. But mostly it's all Dora-the-Explorer stuff...if you're lucky. Some games do things so simplistic they don't even count as puzzles; like moving one object out of your way or going into the next room to get a key to open a door.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 03:57 AM

You are coming on me like I am approving what Ubisoft is doing, I was just trying to be sarcastic with the all situation, however; I am right.

They do that because Kids have the money of their parents and they don't care about quality or else, they just want to play and beat the game for playing another one then - People that earn their own money are more selective, and expect more immersive and challenging content!

Ask yourself - Why Ubisoft is releasing time saver DLCs for the content inside the game blows me away, but it tells me a lot about it - As for the 2 multiplayer DLC at 25 USD/EU each. Because the game is made for people that just want to beat the game the faster the better, and Ubisoft make sure that the ones that want to do that has to pay for it - As an adult are going to buy for some cheat codes because you are too lazy to find it yourself?
No, I am sure you don't, but kids do!

Ubisoft is not stupid and it goes where the money is, and if the rate of age is getting younger they are not going to build something more adult - Take AC3 for instance more than 70% that enjoyed the games were under 13 years old, and I am sure the rate of age for AC4 is still the same(?). Even my kids 10 & 12 years old asked me "Why the game is still rated M there in the US? since all they friend at their middle school have it and play it.

Guess what after playing AC4 they told me, "ah! the game is too easy it is made for babies now", and they told me AC2 or ACB where better.

I am like you Adam I deplore the all thing like most people there do!
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwDCu-UMeyhizM5tHUFDaLepqQm4_0n9cOR7za6LkaljaOCCCu Dora Kenway the explorer

Betrayer11
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Since when have the puzzles ever been hard the Subject 16 puzzles were easy to me and always has been and I'm 14 (played Subject 16 puzzles when I was 9-10) without looking them up

By the way not everybody thinks that the puzzles are easy so yeah

How, exactly, can you say that the mayan stone puzzles or the "match the colors" puzzle are at all difficult?

I didn't need to look them up in the past games either, but they were at least challenging enough that I felt some satisfaction for solving them. In AC4, the answer to most of the puzzles is instantly obvious, it's just a matter of entering it into the game. The Frogger hacking you can mess up the timing for, but the answer is still obvious from the start.

The sphere hacking puzzle is the only one that takes any thought at all to solve. Oh, except for the security room one, the puzzle that doesn't reward you with anything, that one might take a second to think about.

mikeyf1999
12-05-2013, 09:09 PM
You misunderstood me ,"Who said I had trouble with the puzzles" I was talking about others in general , I mean if I could solve s16's puzzles easily then those mayan puzzles are nothing

mikeyf1999
12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
When you say security room, do you mean the camera rooms

mikeyf1999
12-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Just to let you know never have I asked my parents to buy something for me (even back when the 2 DLCs for AC 2 came out)I didn't even get DLC until last year and it was just 1 pack (hidden secrets)

mikeyf1999
12-05-2013, 10:57 PM
So yea, what I'm saying is that while there are some little kids who play the game just to complete it, there are others who play it to explore and don't want the stupid Timesaver DLCs, there may be some adults who are too lazy

Poodle_of_Doom
12-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't know that it's for children necessarily. I think they need to make the puzzles harder, like in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations. But they need to make them side missions, like they did here, where you can do them if you want, or ignore them if you so choose.

Landruner
12-06-2013, 02:37 AM
I don't know that it's for children necessarily. I think they need to make the puzzles harder, like in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations. But they need to make them side missions, like they did here, where you can do them if you want, or ignore them if you so choose.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcXr039CRafRqDBCYr28RgSP0qMkLE8 SqYxC0D0xQ38HsGXZt_BQ Assassin's Kid Rated M for middle School

Poodle_of_Doom
12-07-2013, 12:14 AM
No.... just no....

Betrayer11
12-07-2013, 02:11 AM
You misunderstood me ,"Who said I had trouble with the puzzles" I was talking about others in general , I mean if I could solve s16's puzzles easily then those mayan puzzles are nothing

A three year old could solve those Mayan puzzles, that's my point. I cannot see how anyone could have trouble with "put the red block on the red square." Like I said, the characters acting confused in game made it feel like Dora the Explorer.

When you say security room, do you mean the camera rooms

Yes. Those hacks at least took math and, like, five seconds of thought. They still were so much easier than the old soundwave matching puzzle, and offered zero reward.

Black_Widow9
12-07-2013, 06:48 AM
Please make sure you also post this here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*

pirate1802
12-07-2013, 11:33 AM
The Mayan puzzles were easy, but that's only one half of the part. The other half is finding them. Now most of you probably played with the hud, but I always play AC games completely disabling all hud elements, and there still are 4 pieces I'm yet to find and I've scoured every bit of land. When I find one, the simple fact of having found it made me feel like I've achieved something, nevermind that the actual puzzle was easy.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Please make sure you also post this here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*

Just curious, are you suggesting a thread, or telling us to use that one? This is a specific aspect of game play, not necessarily a topic we're looking to touch on, and then move on from. I think this is the reason the thread was created.

SixKeys
12-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't really mind that the puzzles themselves have become easier. What I miss is the deeper content behind them. In AC2 and ACB there was cool stuff that really made you think about real-life things like consumerism, religious propaganda and controlling the masses via the media. I'm afraid Ubi is wary of putting such potentially controversial content in their games now as AC is becoming more and more directed towards casual players.

Shahkulu101
12-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't really mind that the puzzles themselves have become easier. What I miss is the deeper content behind them. In AC2 and ACB there was cool stuff that really made you think about real-life things like consumerism, religious propaganda and controlling the masses via the media. I'm afraid Ubi is wary of putting such potentially controversial content in their games now as AC is becoming more and more directed towards casual players.

Totally agree. I'm replaying AC2 now and the glyphs are fantasticly put together, the sense of mystery behind them and the conspiracies it unveils and political issues it challenges are far more intriguing than ACIVs modern day puzzles which, while some content such as the Desmond stuff is pretty interesting, don't offer much of an incentive to go hack more. Not to mention Subject 16 was a major pull for the glyphs, an interesting character who I think was ultimately wasted potential by the time I was finished with Revelations.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-07-2013, 08:35 PM
I agree with the last two posts. In fact, I've been discussing the game with a couple long time forum goers, and had just said basically the same thing to someone else only moments ago.