PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss the wheel menu?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
I do. I miss the wheel menu that was first introduced in AC2 and was kept in ACB. In ACR we got the same thing but now had two wheels and this still worked fine. Then came AC3 with 2 menus like ACR but the way it worked was strange and not as pleasant to use, at least IMO. I haven't played AC4 so I can't say how well the new....cross(?) menu works and I'm sure it works fine but I've grown fond of wheel menus: AC, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dishonored, etc. In fact, whenever a game has a lot of equipment to use and DOESN'T have a wheel menu (not counting RPGs)... I'm actually taken aback.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see the wheel menu return in AC5? Was AC3's menu system better? Or is 4's the best?

Fireseed
12-04-2013, 12:50 PM
It was okay in AC2, but the system in AC3 was horrible, break the whole gameplay flow when changing a weapon because of fullscreen weapon wheel. I like the system as it is in AC4. Short and easy to use.

pacmanate
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
The new one is way better but there is a problem when trying to select fists or swords, sometimes it doesnt change :\.

ace3001
12-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Anything is better than the horrible mess they had in AC3. I absolutely hated using it since it was so slow and clunky to use, having to open a fullscreen menu which has its own slow open and close animations each time to access it.

ladyleonhart
12-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I liked ACIII's system because it allowed you to allocate specific tools to particular buttons, so the wheel mechanic (full screen menu) never bothered me since I rarely accessed it. So I would allocate fists to the down directional button, hidden blade to up, tomahawk to the left and rope dart to the right. Therefore, I would only access the wheel if I wanted to use a sword instead of the tomahawk, or bow or poison darts instead of the rope dart, which wasn't very often.

As for ACIV's system, I don't mind it and I can see what they were trying to do. However, like Pac said, at times there is an issue when making a selection. Whereas, in ACIII, I never had that problem at all.

xx-pyro
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I liked both AC1-R's way and AC4's. The fullscreen menu in 3 was ridiculous. I like the wheel for it's easy access and speed and I like the FC3-esque menu in 4 for its unobtrusiveness.

SixKeys
12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Nope. It worked in AC2 where we had the perfect amount of weapons. It started to get cumbersome in ACB and ACR when we got more and more weapons. The AC4 system is fine.

Wolfmeister1010
12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I like AC4's fine. Took a bit to get used to pressing down for swords but other than that was fine

MadDogg59
12-04-2013, 05:27 PM
The only thing I miss is not being able to re-assign the quick selection.

x___Luffy___x
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
nope. i like this one better.

Sushiglutton
12-04-2013, 05:34 PM
QUICKFIIIIIIRE! Seriously why is this still not in the game? The LB button is used for ordering factions on land, that's it (if I'm not misstaking). What a waste of such a nice button! The inventory style I like the best is the slow-mo menu wheel like in the Witcher/GTA. It keeps you in the action while at the same time give you some time to choose what you want.

TAZ427
12-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I liked this one a lot better. No constant remapping of my crap unintentionally like I experienced in the past with dial/fast d-pad. Up for Hidden, Down for Sword, Left for Gun (Double for Smoke which I only used for the 100% Sync), Right for Darts/Map. Very simple and easy to remember in battle. Not using Darts/Maps in battle.

Kagurra
12-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Okay, I really like the new cross style in AC4, but it needs to be refined. It has some issues in combat. For example. I'm using my swords, I want to go unarmed to take this knife off of the scout, and when I select fists during combat, nothing happens and Edward puts his swords away and instantly pulls them back out. I have to push down twice for it to work. I don't have this problem with hidden blades since that's in a different section. I understand why it does this, but it shouldn't. If I have swords selected, that means if I press down the D-pad, it should go to the one below the swords, but it thinks I'm always on the default position and still tries to select the swords even though they're already out, resulting in him pulling them out again. This also happens with secondary stuff like berserk darts too, but this is the situation where it's most annoying.

It should notice what you already have equipped and skip that on the selection list instead of having to manually skip over it yourself by pressing the button a bunch.

LoyalACFan
12-04-2013, 09:02 PM
AC4's is FAR better. You don't have to stop the action by pulling up a menu just to switch items.

Ideally, though, I'd like a blatant ripoff of Arkham's weapon wheel design, where you don't have to to that weird double-tap thing to access fists or tools, but instead push two d-pad buttons at once.

Example:

Up- Hidden Blades
Up/Right- Sleep Darts
Right- Swords
Down/Right- Rope Darts
Down- Fists
Down/Left- Smoke Bombs
Left- Guns
Up/Left- Berserk Darts

I know that leaves out treasure maps, but screw that, I thought adding those to the weapon wheel was dumb anyway.

Landruner
12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
The AC2/ACB wheel menu + D Pad were fine, and the most practice in game weapon selection (at least for console and PCs that use gamepad) - Once your favorite weapons were assigned to a slot it was easy to switch while fighting - ACR is became more complex since they were two wheel and something confusing - The AC3 weapon selection was abysmal ******ed but still it was using the D-pad.

AC4 is an extended D-pad slot selector and I don't like it and I think it is not even improved since the weapon selection does not even make sense and you loose time during fights in remembering or navigating through the cross in order to select your weapon you want to use. (You even have those Map on it(?), and I never used the throwing knife since I never had the time to reach it on time, it was too far on the left of the cross/selector)

Besides, maybe some of you did notice that sometimes the hidden blades come back as your default weapon while previously you had selected the swords(?)
That problem occurs notably when you board a lot of ships at the same time (Brigs,frigates, Man of Wars) and you board them one after one, which is freaky "****y" annoying.

Hrafnagud72
12-05-2013, 02:16 AM
I do miss the wheel. I was actually playing AC2 a couple nights ago and I vividly remember thinking "Damn, I miss this weapon wheel." I prefer it over the cross.

IWGCJoeCool
12-05-2013, 02:27 AM
we could do away with all the weaponry, returning to the simple options of the original. hidden blade(s). sword(s) and knives...be my guest, add another, and leave the unarmed fist as a default during a sequence or mission requiring it. also, when you disarm somebody, keep the weapon as long as you like...without losing it during a climb or free-run.

phoenix-force411
12-05-2013, 02:59 AM
ACIII had to bring you to another screen which was annoying and it took about 3 seconds at times. I liked the wheel more in ACR. But of course, the one in ACIV isn't bad.

Kagurra
12-05-2013, 03:14 AM
QUICKFIIIIIIRE! Seriously why is this still not in the game? The LB button is used for ordering factions on land, that's it (if I'm not misstaking). What a waste of such a nice button! The inventory style I like the best is the slow-mo menu wheel like in the Witcher/GTA. It keeps you in the action while at the same time give you some time to choose what you want.

LB is reload.

Sushiglutton
12-05-2013, 03:22 AM
LB is reload.

Ah yeah you are correct, forgot about that. The button is too darn pretty to be used for reload. It's the perfect button to combine with the face buttons for various actions.

Landruner
12-05-2013, 03:23 AM
ACIII had to bring you to another screen which was annoying and it took about 3 seconds at times. I liked the wheel more in ACR. But of course, the one in ACIV isn't bad.

I always considered that 2 or 3 sec of response before the menu appears as some technical issues that they never resolved or patched - AC3 was released unfinished anyway.

phoenix-force411
12-05-2013, 03:27 AM
I always considered that 2 or 3 sec of response before the menu appears as some technical issues that they never resolved or patched - AC3 was released unfinished anyway.

Yeah, it was. The Gunplay was terrible comparing it to the E3 demo. I hope they do another re-release version of the finished product.