PDA

View Full Version : Aveline 60 Min Exclusive Review [NO SPOILERS] Are You Missing Anything?

STDlyMcStudpants
12-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Are You Missing Anything?
No. I wet my fan boy panties the moment this exclusive hour started and then I actually got placed into the world and they quickly dried.
I played this mission first just to say goodbye to the time period once and for all and move on to Edward Kenway.
If you have never played an AC game before I don't recommend this because the mission design is not at all newb friendly.

The world:
Back to why my fan boy panties dried - the missions world is far from beautiful, I hope AC IV (Which I'm about to dive into) doesn't look as poorly made as this world did.
The water is laughable.
Maybe AC3 and Tomb Raider spoiled me with what could be done with a forest, but it looked very 2010ish - far from next gen.

The Mission Design:
Without giving spoilers - You will feel like you're playing Prince of Persia Sands of Time more than you will feel like you're playing an Assassin's Creed game.

The Story:
Yawn - boring. The beginning had me excited - the ending had me anticipating and then pow back to title screen and you're left with a "Really? =/" face.
Dialog is very dry and corny.
Adds nothing to the Assassin's Creed world other than a piece of Eden (of course)

Things that got under my skin:
Glitches - AI will stutter towards you instead of walk sometimes. A guy got stuck in a tent so I had to throw a knife to kill him.
Unpolished - During a mission it is possible for someone to get in your way and stay there forcing you to kill yourself and try again (Luckily check points are forgiving)
Can't pop trophies - I did a task for a trophy I knew existed in the game and it didn't pop - so just forget about them while playing.
Get him!: You are constantly referred to as a male when clearly you aren't.

The Length: Oh my friends!!! This is far from an extra 60 minutes of game play. I clocked in at 20:59:24 and I even died a couple of times and played stealthily. It's a 20 Min add on for a pro, a 25 to 30 min add on for a newbie

Verdict:
- Poor Story
- Unpolished
- Disappointing cut off
- only delivers 33% of whats promised
+ It's a bonus exclusive, A nice little run around. 20 extra minutes is still 20 extra minutes

5/10

RoBg03
12-03-2013, 03:29 AM
yeah, i wasn't impressed. and like you said, you think you might get a cut scene or something at the end, maybe a little conner action, but no. it left me wondering if i accidently pushed a button and skipped something, or that maybe i need to click on aveline again....i thought it was funny that aveline ran like a girl though..."duh she is a girlzz!!!' yeah i get it, but she looks kinda funny. never played liberation though, soo......

STDlyMcStudpants
12-03-2013, 03:33 AM
yeah, i wasn't impressed. and like you said, you think you might get a cut scene or something at the end, maybe a little conner action, but no. it left me wondering if i accidently pushed a button and skipped something, or that maybe i need to click on aveline again....i thought it was funny that aveline ran like a girl though..."duh she is a girlzz!!!' yeah i get it, but she looks kinda funny. never played liberation though, soo......

You actually caught she was a girl?
All of the guards kept saying "he" and "him" Never playing Liberation- I too was confused.

RoBg03
12-03-2013, 03:37 AM
All of the guards kept saying "he" and "him" Never playing Liberation- I too was confused.

lol, yeah, now that you mention it i do remember them saying he. thought it was kinda dumb since they had to record audio for aveline, patience, etc, but they just used the existing BF sound fx

STDlyMcStudpants
12-03-2013, 03:40 AM
lol, yeah, now that you mention it i do remember them saying he. thought it was kinda dumb since they had to record audio for aveline, patience, etc, but they just used the existing BF sound fx

It was very lazy indeed lol.

pacmanate
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
But PoP Sands of Time is one of the best games ever :|

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
But PoP Sands of Time is one of the best games ever :|

True but that doesn't mean you want AC to feel like it. AC is it's own thing, a fantastic series in its own right. that said...numerous missions in AC have felt like Prince of Persia... all the Templar Lairs and Assassin Tombs are straight up PoP territory and it's great so I wouldn't mind it feeling that way. It does sound lazy though what with the "him" and he" being thrown around. Oh well.

Mr_Shade
12-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Well she is supposed to be a little like batman.. All the people see is a "person" in the outfit, they might not know she is a she... And guys being guys, would assume she is a he, if they see thier friends get their asses kicked ;)

pacmanate
12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
True but that doesn't mean you want AC to feel like it. AC is it's own thing, a fantastic series in its own right. that said...numerous missions in AC have felt like Prince of Persia... all the Templar Lairs and Assassin Tombs are straight up PoP territory and it's great so I wouldn't mind it feeling that way. It does sound lazy though what with the "him" and he" being thrown around. Oh well.

I thought he meant it in a bad way

ladyleonhart
12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Is it really that bad...? o_0

I did enjoy ACIII: Liberation on PS Vita though.

Well... I guess I won't know until I actually try it.

LoyalACFan
12-03-2013, 05:09 PM
IMO 5/10 is generous. It's easily the worst AC content I've ever played, not counting that whole first-person Tetris BS from Revelations.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Is it really that bad...? o_0

I did enjoy ACIII: Liberation on PS Vita though.

Well... I guess I won't know until I actually try it.

I wouldn't say it's "Bad" it just isn't anything to write home about.
IT COULD'VE BEEN IF THEY AT LEAST GAVE US AN ENDING CUT SCENE!!! You'll know what I mean when you play.
If you miss Prince of Persia - this will make you smile.
It's very easy to play through and doesn't feel like a chore (If you're familliar with PoP and AC Tombs) except no puzzles lol.
I however just played PoP not too long ago so I didn't need that void filled haha.
Transitions are a bit choppy - you'll be in the air then instantly youre cut off and in another place lol.
And having played the first sequence of AC IV I must say the graphics are about the same - I'm VERY disappointed in the graphics on the PS3. AC3 truly puts it to shame.

ze_topazio
12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
And having played the first sequence of AC IV I must say the graphics are about the same - I'm VERY disappointed in the graphics on the PS3. AC3 truly puts it to shame.

What? the graphics look definitely better than AC3.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-03-2013, 06:12 PM
What? the graphics look definitely better than AC3.

Not a chance. Are you playing next gen or current gen?

ze_topazio
12-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Current gen, the game is stunning, looks way better than AC3.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Current gen, the game is stunning, looks way better than AC3.

maybe theres something wrong with my disc, because mine loosk like sh*t

AngryRaisin
12-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I, too, was really disappointed by it and thought I had missed something when I blew through it in 15-20 minutes. The guard stuck in the tent is a consistent glitch. I didn't even try to kill him. I also noticed she was called "he" all the time by the guards but I chalked that up to the fact that the engine that runs the guards throughout all the games is totally built/programmed for "he/him" and I can understand how it might not be at all practical for them to spend time reprogramming just for a tiny little add-on. Speaking of which, I have also noticed throughout AC4 that they got a little careless with the NPCs in a lot of places and I will often hear them speaking Italian instead of Spanish and often times the General Store or Harbormaster proprietors will thank Edward in Italian and say "Grazie signor, Arrivederci".

Anyway, I'm a bit nervous about what the DLC will present if it's going to be anything like the lameness that is Aveline.

jetlee2777
12-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Well yes the Aveline dlc was a bit to short and disappointed,whish it was longer.

But anyway Ubisoft will sell "Assasins Creed Liberations" next year so then you will be able to play the entire game.

Regards,

jetlee2777

shobhit7777777
12-03-2013, 08:18 PM
It was a nice little stealth playground with a new skin. I took it for what it was and had fun running around stealth killing everyone.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
It was a nice little stealth playground with a new skin. I took it for what it was and had fun running around stealth killing everyone.

Same here; basically one long plantation with less ludicrously sparse sugar cane stalking zones.

Betrayer11
12-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah, was pretty disappointing overall, and really made me worry about the "three hour" Freedom Cry DLC.

It was supposed to unlock a figurehead and database entries for the main game, but I didn't get them :/ Did anyone?

DarktheMagister
12-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I thought it was fine. Did everyone expect an expansion pack or something?

Johny-Al-Knox
12-04-2013, 12:26 AM
I got boord after i got outside the prison. i mean u can just run the entire game just slaying everyone without worrying about stealthing.
If you play this DLC stealthy, well honestly ur just wasting ur time. I dont know if it is only me but avelin is way more powerfull. Could be that hes a reskinned connor.