PDA

View Full Version : AC4 has the best game world ever created!

Sushiglutton
12-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I fell in love with AC4's world early on when you sail out from Cape Bonavista and there is this sandbank packed with flamingos. I almost sailed the ship into a cliff, it was that awesome! Now I've been thinking if there is any game out there with a world that can match AC4's. Imo there is not. When you combine the beauty, playability, variety, I just think it's unmatched.

I've never played another game with so many magnificent vistas, whether on sea or land. And since you can climb pretty much everything you can always get the best angle. Havanna is an amazing city. When you sail back there after a couple of hours pirating through rough seas and the sun is shining, it's special. They have really captured the feel of a warm and sunny paradise city. Not sure how this magic is done, but it works.

Then there are wonderful smaller locations like Bonavista with it's rainbow waterfall, fishing villages with taverns where they are playing folk music, large Mayan temples, the assassin village and so on.

Now all this beauty is all good, but AC4 also has so much game in its world.

First off the franchise trademark feature to let you climb everything. Now we have been spoiled, but it really is an awesome, awesome feature that makes soooo much of a difference in the way you experience the world. There is no escaping that when I play another open world franchise I feel like my hands are tied. Secondly the combination of naval and on foot gameplay rocks. It means great variety since on land it's sneaky-sneaky and on sea it's bomby-bomby. And you can transition between these two extremes seamlessly (yeah I said it).

There are so many structures with natural sneaking potential organically placed in the world. The forts and villas on land, plantations, smuggler's coves, military camps, classic AC rooftop fun and so on. There's so much potential for using your imagination to create your own adventure, which is why the sandbox genre is so exciting. Same thing on sea of course with all kinds of mayhem to be had all two the tunes of classic sea shanties!

I wish I was a poet so I could do AC4's world more justice :( :p. Anyway what do you guys think, is there any game world (if so which one) that can match AC4's?

x___Luffy___x
12-02-2013, 06:50 PM
i completely agree with you man. i love this game. i am in my first playthrough and with about 60 hours in and i am on seq 10. the world is so vast and so much to do in it. and so much freedom about how to do it.

SixKeys
12-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm leery of using the word "ever", as I'm sure there are MMOs with even more varied environments and endless amount of stuff to do in them (even if most of it is just grinding). But of the games I have personally played, it certainly is the most beautiful. I still think there are too many pointless little sandbanks that could have been ditched or developed to be less like clones of each other, especially since the game requires you to stop at so many of them just for a single Animus fragment or chest. The cities are all beautiful in their own way. My favorite place in the whole game is Great Inagua, followed by either Havana or Nassau. I just wish there were more quests in each city to keep you coming back to them. For all its beauty and variety, Havana is barely used in the game.

I also love the Mayan sites. There was one I explored just the other day, I forget what it was called, but the viewpoint gave you a great view of the whole island and it had all these ruins and it gave me strong flashbacks to AC1, to the point that it gave me shivers. Really reminded me of the early Kingdom exploration in that game, that feeling of loneliness and vastness, being the only person sitting high atop these mighty ruins. The music in the Mayan places is also reminiscent of Jesper Kyd's work in AC1, sort of mysterious and desolate.

egriffin09
12-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Of the games I've played, It is one of the best game world's ever created along side Red Dead Redemption. Like someone previously said, I'm sure there are MMO's with better worlds than AC IV's. but I've never played those. The perfect AC game world to me would be the verticality of AC 2 mixed with the open world "feel" of AC IV. I hope Ubisoft makes an AC like that next.

Sushiglutton
12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
i completely agree with you man. i love this game. i am in my first playthrough and with about 60 hours in and i am on seq 10. the world is so vast and so much to do in it. and so much freedom about how to do it.

Yeah, it's pretty tough to progress the story :).

I'm leery of using the word "ever", as I'm sure there are MMOs with even more varied environments and endless amount of stuff to do in them (even if most of it is just grinding). But of the games I have personally played, it certainly is the most beautiful. I still think there are too many pointless little sandbanks that could have been ditched or developed to be less like clones of each other, especially since the game requires you to stop at so many of them just for a single Animus fragment or chest. The cities are all beautiful in their own way. My favorite place in the whole game is Great Inagua, followed by either Havana or Nassau. I just wish there were more quests in each city to keep you coming back to them. For all its beauty and variety, Havana is barely used in the game.

I also love the Mayan sites. There was one I explored just the other day, I forget what it was called, but the viewpoint gave you a great view of the whole island and it had all these ruins and it gave me strong flashbacks to AC1, to the point that it gave me shivers. Really reminded me of the early Kingdom exploration in that game, that feeling of loneliness and vastness, being the only person sitting high atop these mighty ruins. The music in the Mayan places is also reminiscent of Jesper Kyd's work in AC1, sort of mysterious and desolate.

I have never played an MMO, but from what I have seen from them they are not nearly as beautiful, nor as interactive (you can run around and slay monsters, but not interact with the geometry in any way) and lack variety in gameplay opportunities (again all you can do is pretty much kill monsters). Of course this is subjective though, but from what I have seen AC4 is way more compelling than any MMO.

As for the sandbanks I agree, but I suppose that's how things are in the Caribbean? I dunno, it's a pretty minor issue overall. The Mayan cites are real awesome. I've also forgot the name, but there is one with black panthers (one of the templar hunts has a final mission here) with a large pyramid and other ruins surrounding like a large yard. And then you can dive from the cliffs back down to the Jackdaw. It's real awesome :).

AC4 uses music well in general I think. Ambient music, sea shanties, tavern music and so on. It really helps to set the mood.

Gi1t
12-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I've always hoped Elder Scrolls would do a game with a seafaring world like Black Flag (with a lot less of the pirate stuff of course). One of the things I DID find successful about Skyrim was the province itself; tons of really gorgeous locations and definitely my favorite overworld yet (partially because of my personal preference for places like that). I hope they try to surpass Black Flag with their next game....

...as long as they remember to put the acrobatics/athletics/speed skills back in the game! -__-

Sushiglutton
12-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Of the games I've played, It is one of the best game world's ever created along side Red Dead Redemption. Like someone previously said, I'm sure there are MMO's with better worlds than AC IV's. but I've never played those. The perfect AC game world to me would be the verticality of AC 2 mixed with the open world "feel" of AC IV. I hope Ubisoft makes an AC like that next.

Yeah RDR had an awesome world. To me AC4 has a greater span of atmosphere, is way more beautiful and offers better gameplay opportunities. RDR is one of the best though. I think it handles animal life much better for example and AC4 is clearly inspired by RDR in many ways.

I've always hoped Elder Scrolls would do a game with a seafaring world like Black Flag (with a lot less of the pirate stuff of course). One of the things I DID find successful about Skyrim was the province itself; tons of really gorgeous locations and definitely my favorite overworld yet (partially because of my personal preference for places like that). I hope they try to surpass Black Flag with their next game....

...as long as they remember to put the acrobatics/athletics/speed skills back in the game! -__-

I have never played an Elder Scrolls game, so I can't really argue with that :(.

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Certainly one of the best game world. Havana is a visual and aural delight....and so is the entire BF world.

LoyalACFan
12-02-2013, 09:43 PM
It's simply marvelous. Though I'm still too emotionally attached to AC2's Italy to call AC4's Caribbean better, it certainly at least ties with AC2 in terms of overall atmosphere.

lothario-da-be
12-02-2013, 09:53 PM
It's simply marvelous. Though I'm still too emotionally attached to AC2's Italy to call AC4's Caribbean better, it certainly at least ties with AC2 in terms of overall atmosphere.
personnaly i can't realy choose 1setting/atmosphere i like the most. AC1,2,R,3 and 4 all have their own vibe. Even the cities in ac3 felt so atmospheric.

MadJC1986
12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I think it is the worst game world ever created. Never seen so many "natural barriers" in an open world game :confused:. Sometimes it feels like if you are playing a linear game. The game has amazing vistas. But that is not the problem.

If I had to think of a game with a better game world, I'd simply say every other open word game out there.

Farlander1991
12-02-2013, 10:01 PM
There was a time when there were Holy Wars on the Internet between Gothic 1/2 and Elder Scrolls (particularly Morrowind), and... while I didn't participate directly (because to each his own), I always preferred Gothic. One of the reasons being the world. It wasn't a huge world like Morrowind or Skyrim, far from it. But it was still pretty big, and there were lots of nice little things and details and places to go to and explore, it was all very well crafted. While I personally consider the Elder Scrolls worlds to be too big for their own good. Case in point: Gothic 3's world was much more Elder Scroll-esque and much more big than in previous games, and it's also much more bland and boring than in previous games.

Assassin's Creed 4 seems to strike a balance between Gothic and Elder Scrolls in that regard for me. With the Elder Scrolls bits being the boring same-looking little islands and shores containing treasure chests and animus fragments :p

But overall I really love the world, it's very nicely designed. Although, I must say that I spend most of my time in the Caribbean itself rather than in the cities (so far I've been only in Havana and Nassau), it's a pity there isn't more side content in there to justify staying longer (I don't usually just spend time simply free-running in the city while going through the campaign).

MIA SILENT
12-02-2013, 10:23 PM
The world is beautiful. And lets not forget to mention the underwater parts. Stunning, with a real sense of danger. They really went all out for this game. Hard to imagine how they will top it. The Caribbean is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I wonder where they could go next and still capture the same diversity. It's set a new standard for AC games.

RoBg03
12-02-2013, 10:43 PM
yeah, the open sea and various areas to visit in this game make it great, and as always with ac games, the visuals are a joy to look at. i will play devils advocate just for the sake of it and say that really only about 10% of the open world is accessable by edward, the rest is filled by the ocean which is graphically repeatable open space.....that said it couldn't really be done any other way. no doubt future titles will have similarly huge open worlds where nearly every space is explorable and unique. once developers get their hands on next gen tech we can expect some really great stuff for this series. i wonder however if ubi might have to adjust their one game a year model though, as im guessing theres tons of stuff the devs would have liked to add but simply didn't have the time.

Rugterwyper32
12-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Glad to hear that it's a really good world. I'm pretty hyped about exploring that.

Unless for some reason we go to the Yokuda/Sea of Pearls area I don't see that happening. Maybe in the Summerset Isles, but that'd mean dealing with High Elves (interesting as it could be). I'd certainly like that though, good times.

TechReviewer
12-02-2013, 11:36 PM
I would agree the game looks amazing but I was really hoping for them to tie the noose on this series not leave more questions than answers!!
This thread http://www.techreviewer.co.uk/assassins-creed-technology-gaming/ has a very interesting view point on the ending, why not share your thoughts whilst at the same time getting great opportunity for CV exposure and journalistic experience, for more information please visit www.techreviewer.co.uk.

LoyalACFan
12-02-2013, 11:50 PM
I think it is the worst game world ever created. Never seen so many "natural barriers" in an open world game :confused:. Sometimes it feels like if you are playing a linear game. The game has amazing vistas. But that is not the problem.

If I had to think of a game with a better game world, I'd simply say every other open word game out there.

You have to be kidding.

Sushiglutton
12-03-2013, 12:07 AM
You have to be kidding.

Lol I wasn't expecting everyone to agree, but I wasn't really expecting anyone to say it was the worst OW either.

SixKeys
12-03-2013, 12:15 AM
What are these "natural barriers" even? I've only encountered a few instances of "area not available". Most of the explorable islands are like miniature cities (with taverns, contracts etc.), with only a few being linear jungle paths.