PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly good where do you rate it....

strigoi1958
12-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Although I've completed the whole series on pc I have definitely not mastered any of them (judging by the talent on youtube)... but as I take a little longer to play through games and see things over and over (usually because I de-synchronise a lot ;)) I have seen details that could easily have been overlooked while in full on gaming mode. In previous games I've admired the city while hanging from a building (waiting for my income in a bank) the grain in wood, decay, foliage, animals, sounds clothing and now sun rays through the trees... and footprints in the sand. It's incredible to see just how much goes into a game of this size... that said I'm just over 50% of the way through and have to say...
As much as I enjoyed the games with Ezio (great character), AC3 (so good I phoned in sick to play 28 hours straight) was (IMHO) a better game (yes I know there are very valid arguments for AC2 and to be honest I cannot fault them) and as such any game I buy I measure against AC3 in terms of detail, gameplay, the desire to replay, value for money and immersion. At present I have found a new standard... with AC4 at the top of my list in the series. Just to be certain I took a little time to examine the others and as good as they are AC4 BF is just that little bit more... but I'm sure as they're all close it's hard to give up a current favourite do you rate this the new number 1 ?

AkumuKarasu
12-03-2013, 02:33 AM
In a word: yes!

I've been reading a lot of issues on these formus, and to be fair, I've had some frustrating issues myself, but nothing that's been game-breaking, so for me, the overall experience has been positive with Black Flag.

When I played the first game, I was totally blown away on all levels: the storyline, the gameplay, the graphics, the accuracy of the history (with a little creative license of course), the game world, pretty much everything. I replayed that game three or four times, which - considering I lose interest and don't complete most games I play - is really saying something.

ACII took everything about the original and made it better. Overall the "Ezio Games" (all 3), truly defined the series: it was a progression of the whole life of Ezio as an Assassin...no, the Assassin. I've played all of the Ezio games through at least twice each.

All that being said, AC3 had some pretty big boots to fill. And IMHO, it failed. Yes, it fixed some fiddly issues from the previous games, and introduced exciting new features like the wilderness, free-running through trees, and the naval missions, but overall, I felt it was a let down. Aside from the various gameplay issues that I won't get bogged down in here, the biggest flaw was that I just didn't like Connor. Ezio - and even Altair - had charisma. Connor spent the whole game whining like a teenager. Haytham had more sangfroid and cool, dry wit, and was more likeable as a character!
Over the course of AC through to Revelations, you see the development of Altair and Ezio from individuals who are acting from personal motivations, into servants of a greater (dare I say?) good. Personally, I came to empathise with these characters. With Connor, I just didn't care. Yes, he has the same sort of thing, but the question I kept asking myself was: why? And, who cares?
I could go on, but enough about AC3, other than: I got it when it first came out, played a few days, and then put it away in disgust. I only took it out and finished it about a month beofre Black Flag came out; and that, more than anything else, was to get up to date with the current-era storyline. I won't replay that one. Ever.

Black Flag, IMO, is a game changer. It;s taken the best parts of all the previous games, ditched the worst, added some new stuff, and put it all in a sandbox for me to play in! :)
The graphics (which I can't even run at full spec on my rig!) are just brilliant.
The gameplay is straightforward: the bits I find challenging have more to do with my lack of skill or patience as a player, than any inherent gameplay issues; and I can't say enough about the open world! I think it's a fantastic feature that I can be at sea, going from A to B in the middle of a mission, but be able to stop and attack a naval convoy I've come across, just cos they've got 30,000 Reales I want. Now that's the Pirate's Life! I no longer wander the woods in terror of being jumped by a pack of 47 mountain lions, one after the other (because, as we all know, that's how mountain lions operate...), but rather am in awe of the scenery.
The detail is amamzing: standing on a beach watching crabs scuttling away, while butterflies hover over nearby bushes, and a naval battle between two factions is taking place just off-shore is...well...I think it speaks for itself. Particularly when you can jump right on your ship and wade straight in to that battle yourself! :D
The storyline is great: there's one bit (and if you've played through it, I'm sure you'll know when), I even caught myself saying "Bloody Pirates!"
In Edward, again, we have a charismatic rogue: all-in-all, a thoroughly likeable character. And, as I'm progressing I'm again seeing a development of the character which makes sense.
Another point on detail: there's a lot of subtle hints in this game, for example (and I don't really think this is a spoiler), in one cinematic, a character turns away from the POV, and you can see a small Templar cross stitched into the back of their coat. In this case, it's not really a surprise, but there are others that give clues to the true nature of the characters around you, if you pay attention! ;)
For all those reasons (and more), yes, I agree that this is the new #1 in the series, by far! And if nothing else: you get to be a pirate and sail around the Caribbean blasting scurvy lubbers down to Davy Jones Locker! Aaarrrrgh! ...er...and that sort of thing.

No, wait, I've got that beat: when you think about it, you're not a pirate.

You're actually a Pirate Ninja...

HypeR.tgL
12-03-2013, 03:56 AM
I loved it, I've completed the game with 100% sync as well as 100/100 Abstergo Challenges completed. Each collectible was fun to go and sail/traverse to, it gave me a chance to admire the environment that the developers put so much effort into. The sheer detail into each city is amazing, I loved the different flavors of navigation each city provided, I never get bored of swinging from tree to awning in Kingston :).

The story didn't quite pull me in, there was a lack of character development for me, there should have been some sort of character development for the crew Eddy hung out with before donning Walpole's robes, but the gameplay saved the day for me.

strigoi1958
12-03-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm at 70% and averaging around 90% synch (I'll go back and replay the memories I messed up to get 100% before I replay) but the details and the gameplay do make it what it is.... I haven't noticed the templar cross yet... but now you've got me wondering. The game is so big I think it needs 3 run throughs to try and notice every thing :D

D.I.D.
12-03-2013, 06:31 AM
The best game is unquestionably AC4, on just about all grounds. Still, I'll always have a soft spot for Brotherhood because it has a great atmosphere and flow. It used to be the only one of the series that I could point to for truly satisfying mission design, because many of the missions rewarded analysis and allowed you to do unusual things that other players might not think of doing, whereas the others tended to be pretty prescriptive (except AC1 of course). Now though, AC4 has so many great set-ups, not just in the story missions but also in side missions and incidental areas. It doesn't feel quite as complete an experience as ACB, but the sheer abundance of great work pushes it ahead. If this makes any sense, AC4 is the best because it gives me confidence that AC5 will be the new series leader, and it's nice to be looking forward to the next episode again.

strigoi1958
12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
The best game is unquestionably AC4, on just about all grounds. Still, I'll always have a soft spot for Brotherhood because it has a great atmosphere and flow. It used to be the only one of the series that I could point to for truly satisfying mission design, because many of the missions rewarded analysis and allowed you to do unusual things that other players might not think of doing, whereas the others tended to be pretty prescriptive (except AC1 of course). Now though, AC4 has so many great set-ups, not just in the story missions but also in side missions and incidental areas. It doesn't feel quite as complete an experience as ACB, but the sheer abundance of great work pushes it ahead. If this makes any sense, AC4 is the best because it gives me confidence that AC5 will be the new series leader, and it's nice to be looking forward to the next episode again.

I know what you mean about brotherhood... and revelations.. they're still better than a lot of current games :D AC5 well the wait for AC4 was unbearable so I'm hoping there will be a spin off title from AC4. Something more than DLC just to fill the space between all my replays and AC5

AkumuKarasu
12-04-2013, 12:49 AM
I know what you mean about brotherhood... and revelations.. they're still better than a lot of current games :D AC5 well the wait for AC4 was unbearable so I'm hoping there will be a spin off title from AC4. Something more than DLC just to fill the space between all my replays and AC5

I have to agree with you guys: for me, from a historical point of view it was so cool running around Rome and Constantinople and experiencing the distinct atmospheres of both cities. I also particularly liked the gameplay associated with atttaining the Armour of Brutus; and that you had to fix enough aqueducts to access a particular area. That has me stumped for a while...

And from a purely aesthetic point of view, the Janissary Armour in Revelations was so cool!