PDA

View Full Version : Let us replace the Blowpipe with a musquet.

Ignacio_796
12-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I would like to replace my Blowpipe with a normal musket (those that the guards are carrying), by crafting a holster with hunting mats. Do you think its a good idea?

DetroitPlaya
12-01-2013, 06:21 PM
We already have four guns, so no.

Zarosian Eos
12-01-2013, 06:24 PM
The blowpipe is one of the best things imo, helps to do Assassination Contracts in seconds, just hit the target with a Berserk Dart

HudisAbeba
12-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm all for options, so I do think it'd be a good idea as long as the blowpipe remains for those who want it. Then again, I'd prefer having nothing on the back at all.

The blowpipe is one of the best things imo, helps to do Assassination Contracts in seconds, just hit the target with a Berserk Dart

That's one of the main reasons I don't like it, to be honest. It makes everything ridiculously easy, and it's a pain to constantly have to neglect something that takes up two slots in your equipment selector just for the sake of having any challenge in the game at all.

Zarosian Eos
12-01-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm all for options, so I do think it'd be a good idea as long as the blowpipe remains for those who want it. Then again, I'd prefer having nothing on the back at all.

That's one of the main reasons I don't like it, to be honest. It makes everything ridiculously easy, and it's a pain to constantly have to neglect something that takes up two slots in your equipment selector just for the sake of having any challenge in the game at all.

True, but all it really does is replace the Poison Dart which you can argue did pretty much exactly the same as Berserk does, Poison Dart made things easier than Berserk does actually

Shahkulu101
12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
What's a musquet? Some kind of gourmet desert...?

That would make no sense. Why would Edward prefer foodstuffs to multi-purpose darts?

guardian_titan
12-01-2013, 07:23 PM
1.) The game's out now so no changes to mechanics will likely be done. People are being moved off to finishing the DLC Freedom Cry and patches or onto AC5 or AC6.
2.) Edward has 4 guns already ... and 2 swords ... and 2 hidden blades. Why does he need a 5th gun?
3.) Likely no animations to holster a musket exist so those would have to be made before it could be implemented. See #1.
4.) Edward's not a walking Assassin Army Knife who can whip out any weapon whenever he wants. He's more like an Assassin Macgyver who uses the tools he has to fit the situation which includes picking things up as you go.
5.) Muskets aren't stealthy which is the point of the blowpipe. Shoot a musket and aggro half the guards around you which defeats the point of doing it via stealth. No silencers existed at the time.

Only Assassin I'm aware of that used long guns was Nikolai. So only way we'd see a musket/sniper rifle would be if a game on him was made. But he has a whole comic to him so not likely.

Best you can do at this point is request you would like to see a permanent musket (or similar long gun) be made available for a future assassin because it's not happening for Edward. He's done outside of patches which fix bugs (not add or change mechanics). At best, the life of AC4 will last until AC5 is announced (probably around April of next year), and then Edward will be forgotten due to people complaining, speculating, and demanding things be done with AC5.

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 07:31 PM
4.) Edward's not a walking Assassin Army Knife who can whip out any weapon whenever he wants. He's more like an Assassin Macgyver who uses the tools he has to fit the situation which includes picking things up as you go

I agree with all your points, especially the whining and demanding. People think that it can "just easily be patched" and for some things, that's true.

However, your 4th point had me laughing pretty hard, simply because MacGyver uses a Swiss Army Knife as a tool! XD

shobhit7777777
12-01-2013, 07:51 PM
No

LoyalACFan
12-01-2013, 08:11 PM
No way. The last thing I want is to return to the "walking armory" days of Ezio and Connor. You've already got four guns you can shoot in rapid succession, isn't that plenty?

Besides, it would look stupid as hell if he had a six-foot musket on his back while he's flipping around and doing combat rolls. Ezio's crossbow was bad enough.

Ignacio_796
12-01-2013, 08:15 PM
1.) The game's out now so no changes to mechanics will likely be done. People are being moved off to finishing the DLC Freedom Cry and patches or onto AC5 or AC6.

You are right in this, nothing to disscuss here.

2.) Edward has 4 guns already ... and 2 swords ... and 2 hidden blades. Why does he need a 5th gun?

In Brotherhood, Ezio has 2 hidden blade, 1 Hidden Gun, a sword, a dagger, a crossbow, 10 smoke bombs, 25 medicines, Poison darts and a Heavy armor, why would he need a hookblade and a lot of differents bombs. Also, Connor has a lot of tools. Remember that the guns that Edward uses have a limited range.

3.) Likely no animations to holster a musket exist so those would have to be made before it could be implemented. See #1.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/690/screediiiepisodeonemp40.jpg
I know that in Ac3 we cant carry a musket Connors back, but I think the data is still in the game, just like the canoe. Most of the animations of AC IV has been recycled from AC III, so implement this would not be very hard.

4.) Edward's not a walking Assassin Army Knife who can whip out any weapon whenever he wants. He's more like an Assassin Macgyver who uses the tools he has to fit the situation which includes picking things up as you go.

See 2#, Ezio and Connor has a lot of tools and weapons.

5.) Muskets aren't stealthy which is the point of the blowpipe. Shoot a musket and aggro half the guards around you which defeats the point of doing it via stealth. No silencers existed at the time.

Not everyone likes to be stealthy in Assassins Creed, also you can use stealth without using the Blowpipe, just the hidden blades, the fists and the throwing knifes.

Best you can do at this point is request you would like to see a permanent musket (or similar long gun) be made available for a future assassin because it's not happening for Edward. He's done outside of patches which fix bugs (not add or change mechanics). At best, the life of AC4 will last until AC5 is announced (probably around April of next year), and then Edward will be forgotten due to people complaining, speculating, and demanding things be done with AC5.

Sad but true... :(

Sorry for my English... XD

LoyalACFan
12-01-2013, 08:22 PM
In Brotherhood, Ezio has 2 hidden blade, 1 Hidden Gun, a sword, a dagger, a crossbow, 10 smoke bombs, 25 medicines, Poison darts and a Heavy armor, why would he need a hookblade and a lot of differents bombs. Also, Connor has a lot of tools.

Yes... but these are BAD things. Connor and Ezio carried so much unnecessary crap it was ridiculous. The issue with Edward having more weapons is not that it would be unprecedented, but rather, the issue would be that it's a step backward. We don't need a protagonist with a damn armory hanging off of him. Edward's already plenty deadly without a crossbow, poison darts, medicines, throwing knives, bombs, hookblades... or muskets.

DetroitPlaya
12-01-2013, 08:27 PM
An assassin should have a hidden blade, something ranged yet silent, distract guards (like smoke bombs), and a regular melee weapon. That's all.

Heck, most NPC assassins have hidden blades, that's it. Maybe a sword/dagger.

Ezio had a horrible amount of things on him. It was really, really ridiculous.

Ignacio_796
12-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes... but these are BAD things. Connor and Ezio carried so much unnecessary crap it was ridiculous. The issue with Edward having more weapons is not that it would be unprecedented, but rather, the issue would be that it's a step backward. We don't need a protagonist with a damn armory hanging off of him. Edward's already plenty deadly without a crossbow, poison darts, medicines, throwing knives, bombs, hookblades... or muskets.

Remember that we are not talking about add a new tool to Edward, we're talking about replace a weapon with another weapon.

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 08:39 PM
So no... distance stealth weapon then?

Yeah, no.

adventurewomen
12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
I would prefer the bow & arrows back. Not another gun, Edward has so many of those. I loved the Bow & Arrows it was stealth at it's best in AC3.

phoenix-force411
12-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Too high profile and bad for stealth.

SixKeys
12-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I would prefer the bow & arrows back. Not another gun, Edward has so many of those. I loved the Bow & Arrows it was stealth at it's best in AC3.

Yeah, except for how it instantly alerted every enemy to your location unless you made absolutely certain you were too high up. The whole point of having a bow as a silent weapon is how difficult it would be to immediately trace where the arrow came from.

Anyway, bows and arrows only work for a native character like Connor. They're pretty out of place in almost every other setting.

Kagurra
12-01-2013, 10:56 PM

The bow kinda sucked. When you shot somebody with it, it just alerted everybody in the area as if it was a musket in AC4. Looked good on Connor though, but more as part of his outfit and not a weapon.

phoenix-force411
12-01-2013, 11:14 PM
There is a glitch to get rid of the bow in ACIII. I saw it, but I don't want to do it... :S

LoyalACFan
12-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Yeah, except for how it instantly alerted every enemy to your location unless you made absolutely certain you were too high up. The whole point of having a bow as a silent weapon is how difficult it would be to immediately trace where the arrow came from.

Anyway, bows and arrows only work for a native character like Connor. They're pretty out of place in almost every other setting.

I agree that it was utilized poorly in AC3, but that was mostly due to the buggered AI and abysmal targeting system rather than the effectiveness of the weapon itself. With AC4-style aiming and AI, it would be fine, and they could use it in basically any European setting pre-1500.

adventurewomen
12-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Too high profile and bad for stealth.

Yeah, except for how it instantly alerted every enemy to your location unless you made absolutely certain you were too high up. The whole point of having a bow as a silent weapon is how difficult it would be to immediately trace where the arrow came from..

The bow kinda sucked. When you shot somebody with it, it just alerted everybody in the area as if it was a musket in AC4. Looked good on Connor though, but more as part of his outfit and not a weapon.
I never got caught using the Bow during stealth missions, I guess I was being careful when to use them.

Megas_Doux
12-02-2013, 12:05 AM
The broken AI ruined the bow for me!

Yes and no!

Persians, Indians, Mongols Chinese, and Japanese fielded large numbers of archers in their armies. And also many medieval European states heavily relied on archery, so if Ubisoft sets a game on those times, the bow HAS to be included.

However I agree it would look TOO out of place on Edward, and any other post XVI century, with the exception of Connor.

shobhit7777777
12-02-2013, 07:20 AM
After reading some of the responses here...I felt that I have to elaborate mine.

I didn't reject the idea because of how loud a musket is or how it isn't conducive to stealth gameplay......I said 'No' because a Musket is a redundant item when you already have 4 pistols. Yes, the added range and kill power certainly put it in a different league altogether...but you can purchase the long range pistols and free aim lets you get headshots.
Another factor which affected my reply was the availability of the Muskets in every area. You could pick one up and keep on firing it till you had ammunition. It eliminated the need to actually carry one as it was so easy to obtain.

Plus it wouldn't suit Edward's character or silhouette. I can imagine an Indian or a Russian Assassin strapping a long range musket on their back while galloping across the landscape on a horse....but not Edward.

Connor, I could see with a couple of muskets.

AstusOz
12-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Replace the blowpipe? No.

Much more useful than a musket could hope to be. Especially considering Edward had access to four freaking guns.

EaglePrince25
12-03-2013, 01:04 AM
4 guns is more than enough. A musket is unnecessary, and the blow dart is cool, and one of the few real connections Edward has to the Assassin's of the time. What's more I feel the blow dart fits Edward more than a musket would.