PDA

View Full Version : Modern Story (spoilers-ish)

DarktheMagister
12-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Just thinking about it now....The loss of Lucy Stillman....was kinda handled like a sloppy mess. I'm still kind of confused on what exactly went on there. I think its why so many people have issue with the current modern plot.

Truthfully...I'm pretty much OK with everything AC has ever done plot wise...except this. I just....don't get why they did it the way they did it.

Also I'm sure we can all agree that that platforming DLC was pretty crap.

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. I thought it was told pretty well in Lost Archives.

And while the platforming certainly wasn't my favorite, it wasn't too bad.

dxsxhxcx
12-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Lucy was between Juno and the plans she had for Desmond, that's why Juno killed her... and I agree, those sequences were awful....

Hrafnagud72
12-01-2013, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't say killing Lucy was the most horrible thing. I thought killing off Desmond was kinda crappy, probably still not the most horrible though. But after killing Desmond off the modern day in AC4 seems to be kinda pointless. There doesn't seem to be any direction to the modern day at all now. I have always felt that the modern day story line was an integral part of the story. And in AC4 I felt like the modern day had nothing to do with the story. You could have dropped out the modern day sequences and it wouldn't have changed the game at all. I am really disappointed in that.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-01-2013, 02:22 AM
I thought ACBF was the worst of all of it. I liked what the Lost Archive DLC held for us (though I never downloaded, or played it, but watched online). The most current game had no real plot delivery. I hated that. It was just a lack luster performance overall.

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Not sure you guys played the same game I did then.

In BF, we discovered how the technology allowing us to dive into other people's memories was made possible. Not like the original Animus in that if they were your ancestor, you could actually "be there" both audio and visually. Now that we have the breakthrough, and others can see the memories of people not even related to them (like we can see Desmond's ancestor, Edward) this opens up new paths and possibilities, the biggest being that Abstergo now has the blood of John, who is a multiple reincarnated version of Aita, husband of Juno.

So, this is very exciting and I can't wait to see what will be done with that. Also, Juno is freed, but she's fragmented data. Perhaps we'll get to relive the memories of the precursor race since we now can access Aita's memories.

If that's not plot, I don't know what else is! :)

Poodle_of_Doom
12-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Not sure you guys played the same game I did then.

In BF, we discovered how the technology allowing us to dive into other people's memories was made possible. Not like the original Animus in that if they were your ancestor, you could actually "be there" both audio and visually. Now that we have the breakthrough, and others can see the memories of people not even related to them (like we can see Desmond's ancestor, Edward) this opens up new paths and possibilities, the biggest being that Abstergo now has the blood of John, who is a multiple reincarnated version of Aita, husband of Juno.

So, this is very exciting and I can't wait to see what will be done with that. Also, Juno is freed, but she's fragmented data. Perhaps we'll get to relive the memories of the precursor race since we now can access Aita's memories.

If that's not plot, I don't know what else is! :)

I do believe it is a weak plot compared to previous games. I felt strung along with this one.

Hans684
12-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I do believe it is a weak plot compared to previous games. I felt strung along with this one.

Becouse it's a new begging for AC, ACIVBF just makes the foundation for the future like AC1. If it is 'weak' or 'strong' is just an opinion no matter how much one 'believe'.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but playing through AC, you knew there was more to the story than they were giving up. Then you got to the end, and could only think "WTF?" At that, the other games had the same level of suspense. But not this one. Thus, compared to the other games, and their story lines, it was a weak game.

MnemonicSyntax
12-01-2013, 07:38 PM
I had no idea who John was until I saw his face and it freaked me out.

Did you do all the other modern day stuff? Hack all the computers, etc?

phoenix-force411
12-01-2013, 08:04 PM
The only way the story could get more interesting was having Desmond killed. If in ACIV, Desmond had to step back into the Animus again, it'll feel like Desmond will never escape this repetitive use of the Animus.

Lucy's story was handled pretty well. She and Vidic agreed to a plan somwhere within AC1 which made Desmond believe Lucy for the longest time up until he killed her. To Abstergo, she was a traitor undercover.

Hans684
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah, but playing through AC, you knew there was more to the story than they were giving up. Then you got to the end, and could only think "WTF?" At that, the other games had the same level of suspense. But not this one. Thus, compared to the other games, and their story lines, it was a weak game.

Still don't change the fact that it is your(and those who agree) opinion, but i respect it.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-02-2013, 12:53 AM
I had no idea who John was until I saw his face and it freaked me out.

Did you do all the other modern day stuff? Hack all the computers, etc?

Yes, and it did nothing for me.

Still don't change the fact that it is your(and those who agree) opinion, but i respect it.

Actually, this has been a popular complaint of the series for a while now, since Revelations in fact. I take it another one of those people who started with AC2?

MnemonicSyntax
12-02-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by your second comment. Can you elaborate?

Landruner
12-02-2013, 01:49 AM
@Poodle_of_Doom; you are right and it is not only you writing this - that is a bit the general opinion about the modern days and their orientation and meaning.

And you are right to say that ACR killed somewhat the modern days

However; The concept was interesting, but the execution was not there for two reasons:

I know a bit the story behind ACR and the first reason was that normally the modern days were not supposed to be there in the original conception and screenplay from Darby for the DS game, they consequently had to rush the modern day out the door for the 2011's release - Corey May came to help and tried to wrap something for Desmond fast.

The Second reason is that UBI did not really loose time in pushing the stuff too cleaver for the modern days and Desmond for ACR - Effectively, the feedback for the modern days comparing to the rest of the games AC1.AC2.ACB) were not very positive, and the feedback for Desmond were abysmal after ACB and it was losing popularity, and the executives did not really to have to postpone the 2011 release just on a part that was not that popular and for a character that was not that popular and which had to be considered as a "Feature" of AC's trademark only.
So, they more an less had to execute quick for the modern days and someone game with that portal spin off mini plate forming concept game to cover what Corey wrote, which was the fastest way they could have to execute the modern days for ACR.

However; here comes the paradox about the Desmond and the modern and where UBI did somewhat a mistake about both - Even the ones that did not care so much about the modern days and even the ones did not like Desmond still wanted to know what was going to be next , and no one guessed that Desmond became just a features of the AC lore.

So, after ACR realize, everyone was a bit perplexed and the popular consensus were that anyone was curious to know how the things where going to end, and all the hopes were for AC3 with some conclusive pieces for Desmond and the modern days, unfortunately it did not give much neither (I won't expand there....) .

Now, yep the popular complaints is that no so many gives a thought for real about the modern days since effectively since ACR it did not really go anywhere or it was disappointing - consequently, now the modern days are only there and will be there for the next AC because of the trademark of the franchise - that about it.

Hans684
12-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Yes, and it did nothing for me.

Actually, this has been a popular complaint of the series for a while now, since Revelations in fact. I take it another one of those people who started with AC2?

My first was AC2, but i have played every game since then. Fans complain daily so it is nothing big and still opinion.

Poodle_of_Doom
12-02-2013, 11:28 PM
My first was AC2, but i have played every game since then. Fans complain daily so it is nothing big and still opinion.

I figured it was your first game. And most people who start where you did tend to agree with you.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second comment. Can you elaborate?

Check the post right below yours, you'll see what I mean.