PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need the PS3 disc for the PS4 digital version?

superkootje
11-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I sold my PS3 today, and all the games with it, so AC IV aswell.
But I kept the code to download the digital version for PS4.
But I read something about needing the PS3 disc to play the PS4 digital version.
Is this true, do I really need the disc or can I play without the disc?

In my opinion it would be ridiculous if I needed the PS3 disc to play the PS4 digital version...

DetroitPlaya
11-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Yes, otherwise you could buy the PS3 version, use the upgrade, and return the PS3 version - and get the game for a total of $10.

So, not ridiculous - it's simply to not just start losing a lot of money on next gen versions :)

superkootje
12-01-2013, 12:09 AM
That sucks, The code is useless for me then as I just sold my PS3 and AC IV with it...

DetroitPlaya
12-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Well, they have said it for all upgrades for a long time.

And it makes perfect sense why.

DarktheMagister
12-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Also... I'm sure there was some kind of notification above the code.

superkootje
12-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Also... I'm sure there was some kind of notification above the code.

There was indeed, but I didn't really take a look at it untill after I got rid of the game....

pacmanate
12-01-2013, 10:23 AM
I am playing it right now, and the PS3 disc is in :p it looks so nice, mmm.

superkootje
12-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Would it be smart to buy a second hand PS3 version for let's say €15,-
Then buy the Digital upgrade to PS4 for another €10,-?
Would it even work, with a code from a different disc, or does that not matter?

DetroitPlaya
12-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm fairly sure you just need a copy of the game in there. So second hand should be fine.

pacmanate
12-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Would it be smart to buy a second hand PS3 version for let's say €15,-
Then buy the Digital upgrade to PS4 for another €10,-?
Would it even work, with a code from a different disc, or does that not matter?

Of course it will work

superkootje
12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Of course it will work
Why doesn't everybody do it? :P
It's way cheaper then paying €65,- for a PS4 version....
By the way, how big is the download?

pacmanate
12-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Why doesn't everybody do it? :P
It's way cheaper then paying €65,- for a PS4 version....
By the way, how big is the download?

Well i did it with BF4. Got the PS3 version for 28, 10 for upgrade meant I spent 38 for the PS4 version instead of 52.

I'm not sure about AC4 actually but it took 3 hours to download. Even then It wouldnt let me in Nassau at sequence 4 or something as it still had to install. heck I still dont think its finished installing the MP.

superkootje
12-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Well i did it with BF4. Got the PS3 version for 28, 10 for upgrade meant I spent 38 for the PS4 version instead of 52.

I'm not sure about AC4 actually but it took 3 hours to download. Even then It wouldnt let me in Nassau at sequence 4 or something as it still had to install. heck I still dont think its finished installing the MP.

It's cool that you can start playing while its still downloading.
I still have to wait for the PS4 to become available in my country though. It's sold out everywhere!

pacmanate
12-01-2013, 02:26 PM
It's cool that you can start playing while its still downloading.
I still have to wait for the PS4 to become available in my country though. It's sold out everywhere!

What I would suggest though is if you dont mind waiting, go for the digital upgrade for games as its also cheaper.

However disc installs are sooo much quicker. But like you said, being able to play whilst stuff downloads in the background is VERY nice indeed.

superkootje
12-01-2013, 02:36 PM
What I would suggest though is if you dont mind waiting, go for the digital upgrade for games as its also cheaper.

However disc installs are sooo much quicker. But like you said, being able to play whilst stuff downloads in the background is VERY nice indeed.

I have to wait a long time for the PS4 to even get here, so I don't mind waiting till the download is finished :P