PDA

View Full Version : No help for the PC latency.

klobberhead
11-30-2013, 11:03 PM
I have been trying to fix a high latency for the entire time I've had Rocksmith, and nothing I've encountered in the way of tips or fixes has made a bit of difference. Most of the time the problem has been annoying but hasn't impacted gameplay, but whenever I've had consistent strumming of 16th notes, or anything fast and rhythmically constant, the input tends to drop notes all over the place and a song played nearly perfect becomes read as a 70k score. The most frustrating part is I am playing along with the beat and can hear my picking line up with it, but the game doesn't recognize that.

-I have an integrated AMD sound card (drivers up to date)
-LatencyBuffer=1 and MaxOutputBufferSize=704 (anything lower crackles)
-I have tried every USB port
-Exclusivity is on
-Performance Scheduling is set to "Background Services"

Any help for this would be awesome.

mrvega79
11-30-2013, 11:33 PM
It would help if you gave more information. What kind of PC -- how old is it? What kind of graphic card? Are you speaking about Rocksmith or Rocksmith 2014? Have you tried adjusting the various video settings -- lowering them, shutting down all the non-essential bits (like the audience)?

klobberhead
12-01-2013, 12:42 AM
It's the original Rocksmith, my computer is about a year old, i7 processor, 8 gb ram, radeon hd 6670. I haven't tried adjusting any of the video settings because of being able to run much more graphically intense games at the highest settings without a drop in framerate. I'll try it out and get back to you about it.

klobberhead
12-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Tried your suggestion and it made no difference. I should also mention that whenever I use the cord for anything outside Rocksmith I get the same latency issues.

mrvega79
12-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Weird, I'm using Rocksmith (both the first version and 2014) on an i3 laptop and I have no problems at all with either game. Have you unplugged everything else from your USB ports? Shut down your webcam, etc.?

I remember reading a post (think it was in the Steam RS forum) about reducing latency issues that I used to set up the RS cable. Maybe dig around there.

hedwards362
12-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I assume that you've updated your USB drivers to whatever the most recent revision is.

You might also try moving all the processing that aren't related to RS to their own core. Hopefully that will eliminate any competition for run time. I'm not sure if that's going to be the problem, it shouldn't be, but who knows.

Shouldn't priority be not set to background services?

klobberhead
12-01-2013, 07:27 PM
My keyboard and mouse are the only things plugged into USB ports besides the RS cable, and I don't have a webcam. All USB drivers are up to date, and yes I meant not background haha. I'll look for the post you're talking about, mrvega, but it's pretty likely I've tried it. I tried all of them I could find, but it couldn't hurt to look again.

hedwards362
12-01-2013, 08:44 PM
My keyboard and mouse are the only things plugged into USB ports besides the RS cable, and I don't have a webcam. All USB drivers are up to date, and yes I meant not background haha. I'll look for the post you're talking about, mrvega, but it's pretty likely I've tried it. I tried all of them I could find, but it couldn't hurt to look again.

I figured you probably already had that covered, but who knows, the hardest solutions to find are the ones that everybody assumes have already been tried.

You might also try http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.php , I haven't used the current version, but if there's some background process interfering, this will help close everything that you don't need.

klobberhead
12-03-2013, 04:51 AM
Tried out gamebooster, and if anything it made the problem worse. Thanks for the suggestion though, at least it was something to try.

joecharvel
01-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Klobberhead,

You are not alone. I have owned this game for over two weeks and have spent two to three hours a night playing with the settings, in game and in the ini. file. I have scoured the internet for a way to reduce both the noise and latency issues and I have got absolutely nowhere close to resolving these problems. I am so frustrated at this point I'm ready to return the game. I am an experienced guitar player and know my way around a computer for the most part. Through the years I've owned various guitar amp and effects modeling software and have never seen a situation as bad as this. Seeing that the game markets itself as a way to learn how to play the guitar, latency as bad as this is not acceptable. Playing the note on time is just as important as playing the right note.

I have a question for you... have you noticed that as you are playing through a song that the noise and latency gets worse and by the time you are nearing the end (if you can tolerate the problems that long) its almost completely distorted and just sounds like mush?

Best regards,

Joe S.

johnnymac949
01-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Klobberhead,

You are not alone. I have owned this game for over two weeks and have spent two to three hours a night playing with the settings, in game and in the ini. file. I have scoured the internet for a way to reduce both the noise and latency issues and I have got absolutely nowhere close to resolving these problems. I am so frustrated at this point I'm ready to return the game. I am an experienced guitar player and know my way around a computer for the most part. Through the years I've owned various guitar amp and effects modeling software and have never seen a situation as bad as this. Seeing that the game markets itself as a way to learn how to play the guitar, latency as bad as this is not acceptable. Playing the note on time is just as important as playing the right note.

I have a question for you... have you noticed that as you are playing through a song that the noise and latency gets worse and by the time you are nearing the end (if you can tolerate the problems that long) its almost completely distorted and just sounds like mush?

Best regards,

Joe S.

I don't have this problem, but if you are looking for a final option to try, setup dual boot. Haven't done it on a PC in a while, but when the computer boots, you can choose the partition to boot from. You would have to re-size your HD or add a 2nd drive. But then you would have a clean OS, which I think helps a ton when playing games. You might even be able to boot from external USB drive if you want...

You can also try to create a new OS user and see if that works. This new user will still run some prior installed processes (if they were "all user"), but it only takes a few minutes to create a new user and test it....

joecharvel
01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't have this problem, but if you are looking for a final option to try, setup dual boot. Haven't done it on a PC in a while, but when the computer boots, you can choose the partition to boot from. You would have to re-size your HD or add a 2nd drive. But then you would have a clean OS, which I think helps a ton when playing games. You might even be able to boot from external USB drive if you want...

You can also try to create a new OS user and see if that works. This new user will still run some prior installed processes (if they were "all user"), but it only takes a few minutes to create a new user and test it....

Thank you for your suggestions. I have already done the new user profile, didn't help. I have been thinking of doing a fresh install of Windows for about a week now, I just don't think it will help. If I did do it and it didn't resolve the issue I think I would go from disappointed to angry. At that point I think I would actively discourage people from buying the game, as it stands now I content with just complaining about it. Lol.

Seriously though, I just installed Amplitude 3, experienced a little bit of latency, followed their instructions to git rid of it and in less than one minute had the issue resolved. It is a very demanding modeling software,

I think that if your gonna release software like this. You better make sure it works, and if it doesn't llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

'

'/

0S

toymachinesh
01-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Did your cat finish off that post for you?

dm_gsxr
01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Maybe it was dictated? :D

carl

nefariousnero
01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
I know this probably won't help but I solved my latency issues just by hooking up some external speakers directly since hdmi causes a lot of audio latency.

klobberhead
01-12-2014, 01:49 AM
The latency is consistent throughout, and the sound quality consistently good. I have since gotten RS 2014 and the latency is no longer an issue. It appears to be a problem only with the original software.

ttxpc
01-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Klobberhead,

Best regards,

Joe S.
I am in the same boat, particularly in score attack as soon as the multiplier hits 50 there is slight audio crackling begins, notes getting missed etc, also on my 4th real tone cable due to missing notes, tried 3 of my different guitars, played with settings till blue in face, is better than original rocksmith in this regard but IMO still buggy as heck
was consistently getting all green sections in desolate motion now mostly yellow, cant get anywhere near my original high score. have bought yet another cable to see if this will help
talk about a frustrating experience

ttxpc
01-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Just received Cable number 4....
scores went straight back up to where they were before I ran into trouble, how I wish I could use my existing interface with this game, real tone cables are, how to say it?, Less than stellar....

Oh forgot to mention the first game bundle I got was for ps3, cable didn't work from the get go, 2nd cable I couldn't send back as replacement was not covered/available in Australia at the time....

rcole_sooner
01-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Odd, as I have had my same 3 cables for going on .... what?... 3 years now.

One trick to making cables last longer is to use a guitar pedal (like a tuner) to run the RT cable to the game, then use a regular guitar cable to the guitar. Saves wear and tear on the cable.

KinchBlade
01-14-2014, 05:18 PM
I too have had two cables for 3 years with no issue.
My two 'tips'...
Be sure to keep them away from any nylon carpeting or anything that might give the unit a static shock
Mark the mating ends of the breekaway with two small pieces of tape so it's easy to reconnect them correctly without accidentally forcing something the wrong way