PDA

View Full Version : AC4 - No Companions for Microsoft Users

Wizminkey
11-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Having planned early to get an Xbox One on launch day, I made the decision to hold off on picking up Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag until then so I could enjoy the better graphics and possibly features available in that version.

I was disappointed to discover that the built-in Smartglass feature was ignored, but found out there was a Companion App available. Cool! No, wait, not available on any Microsoft platforms either. Well dang. As someone who owns an Xbox One, a Microsoft Phone and a Windows 8 laptop, how are NONE of these being supported?

Take a look at Visual Studio 2012. It makes developing for all MS platforms easy, even making cross-platform apps using common code. So you could do the work of a single tablet version, but bring it to laptops and phones at the same time with a few tweaks for display and input differences.

I hope Watch Dogs won't see this same treatment. Support either Smartglass (which works on most phone and tablet platforms out of the box) or at least one Microsoft platform for your future companion apps.

Thanks,
A long-time Ubisoft fan

adventurewomen
11-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Well if you had the PC version of AC4 then you'll know that AC4 supports Win8 & Win7 I've tried the pc verison on both of these OS they work great. I don't even own a Windows Laptop, I own a bootcamped MacBook pro. ;)

The Companion app is also available on Android. :)

DetroitPlaya
11-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Well if you had the PC version of AC4 then you'll know that AC4 supports Win8 & Win7 I've tried the pc verison on both of these OS they work great. I don't even own a Windows Laptop, I own a bootcamped MacBook pro. ;)

The Companion app is also available on Android. :)

How is any of this revelant?

The OP is disappointed that Ubisoft won't support Microsoft with the Companion app. Smartglass is a brilliant way to support it, yet it's iOS and Android Exclusive and it's already confirmed it won't come to other platforms.

adventurewomen
11-30-2013, 10:40 PM
How is any of this revelant?
It is relevant, becase the OP was also talking about Visual Studio, and there is the fact that AC4 does support Win8 and the OP has a win8 laptop.

The OP is disappointed that Ubisoft won't support Microsoft with the Companion app. Smartglass is a brilliant way to support it, yet it's iOS and Android Exclusive and it's already confirmed it won't come to other platforms.
None of this will change Ubi have decided their games are more exclusive to Sony and their PS exclusives. Ubisoft at this point won't develop further XBone's Smartglass that the decision at this moment. Tbh I don't see that changing anytime soon. Ubisoft are in production of AC5 at this moment.

Well that's a given Mr.Shade confirmed the other day that the Companion app is a iOS & Android exclusive.

DetroitPlaya
11-30-2013, 10:43 PM
It is relevant, becase the OP was also talking about Visual Studio, and there is the fact that AC4 does support Win8 and the OP has a win8 laptop.

If you read again, you see it's all about the companion app

Not about it being supported by Win 8

adventurewomen
11-30-2013, 10:49 PM
If you read again, you see it's all about the companion app

Not about it being supported by Win 8
It's not about reading it again, the OP was talking in general about MS platforms used with AC, This is what the OP said:
"How are NONE of these being supported" That statement is untrue, which is why I said AC4 supports WIn8.

No need to be overparticular DetroitPlya.

I-Like-Pie45
11-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Alex, you spelled Player wrong.

DetroitPlaya
11-30-2013, 10:53 PM

None of them are supported in regards to the COMPANION APP. The entire thread is about the companion app.

._.

adventurewomen
11-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Alex, you spelled Player wrong.
Haha, yeah I missed out the other A.

None of them are supported in regards to the COMPANION APP. The entire thread is about the companion app.

._.
That's untrue, I use the Companion App on my iPad with my PC version of AC4. So Ubisoft does support the PC version.

DetroitPlaya
11-30-2013, 10:59 PM
That's untrue, I use the Companion App on my iPad with my PC version of AC4. So Ubisoft does support the PC version.

Either you are trolling big time, or just... *sigh*

The App isn't supported on a Microsoft device. You can't install it on Windows Phones, Smartglass, etc.

adventurewomen
11-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Either you are trolling big time, or just... *sigh*

The App isn't supported on a Microsoft device. You can't install on Windows Phones, Smartglass, etc.
I know that lol.

Let's just leave this here.

Wizminkey
12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Adventurewomen: I'm directly talking about the Companion app. It's in the title. I wasn't being vague on it.

My point with Visual Studio was if they take the two days it would take to convert the game into a Windows Tablet app, it would also almost instantly be portable to Windows PCs and Phones as a Companion app.

Windows Phone has a 14% market share in England. It's lower in the USA due to providers pushing iPhone and Androids on their customers with "free phone with a 3-year contract" plans. My point was, ignoring the entire Microsoft suite of products when cross-platform development is a breeze in VS2012 is almost criminal. I'm commenting on this as someone building a multi-platform game using these technologies. It USED TO be hard to build apps for WinPhone 7 if you were unfamiliar with it, so the developers who don't take the time to look at the new tools still operate under that assumption. Now that it's so much easier and our market share continues to expand, the app support needs to be there.

Wizminkey
12-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Bumping... does anyone know if there are even any plans to support Windows Phone in the future? Are they going to continue to ignore SmartGlass as well?

I just want to know if I should bother getting my hopes up, or just deal with the fact that I'll never use an Ubisoft companion app because I'm not buying an Android or iPhone for it. Windows Phone has 14% market share in England. Quit ignoring it just because North American cell companies shove new iPhones and Androids down your throats with "free" contracts.

Mr_Shade
12-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Bumping... does anyone know if there are even any plans to support Windows Phone in the future? Are they going to continue to ignore SmartGlass as well?

I just want to know if I should bother getting my hopes up, or just deal with the fact that I'll never use an Ubisoft companion app because I'm not buying an Android or iPhone for it. Windows Phone has 14% market share in England. Quit ignoring it just because North American cell companies shove new iPhones and Androids down your throats with "free" contracts.
The companion app is only available on iOS and Android.

No one is suggesting you buy a new device only for the companion app - it does add to the game, however is not essential for your enjoyment.

TAZ427
12-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Having planned early to get an Xbox One on launch day, I made the decision to hold off on picking up Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag until then so I could enjoy the better graphics and possibly features available in that version.

I was disappointed to discover that the built-in Smartglass feature was ignored, but found out there was a Companion App available. Cool! No, wait, not available on any Microsoft platforms either. Well dang. As someone who owns an Xbox One, a Microsoft Phone and a Windows 8 laptop, how are NONE of these being supported?

Take a look at Visual Studio 2012. It makes developing for all MS platforms easy, even making cross-platform apps using common code. So you could do the work of a single tablet version, but bring it to laptops and phones at the same time with a few tweaks for display and input differences.

I hope Watch Dogs won't see this same treatment. Support either Smartglass (which works on most phone and tablet platforms out of the box) or at least one Microsoft platform for your future companion apps.

Thanks,
A long-time Ubisoft fan

Well they didn't support the Playstation App either, maybe I should pitch a fit. That could have supported it across platforms, let me cry about it. Sorry, but putting this on Smartglass or the Playstation App would have been a major PIA for them to do. So developing an App to work with their own servers was a good move in general.

The intent was to have this on a Tablet/SmartPhone and not on a PC. So take the Win-8 out of the picture.

Now look at the Tablet and SmartPhone market. MS is just now getting to shipping 4% of the Smartphones and Tablets, not to mention they make up ~1% of the total Smartphones and Tablets in consumer hands today.

So you tell me how much effort and money Ubi should put into making a companion App for that 1% of consumers that might have one. Most of those that do have one, already have Android and iOS products.

While I'll sympathize with you, I can't blame Ubi here (plenty of other area's to blame Ubi on ;-) )

Wizminkey
12-12-2013, 12:59 AM
One percent? That's either old or bad data you've got there. If you look outside of the USA, where (as I mentioned) iPhones are crammed down your throat for "free" with a contract or whatever, so people gobble them up because it's just like the last phone, but +1! In markets that let you pick the phone you want, you'll see a dramatic rise in WP users.

It's not hard to get something onto Windows Phone if you've already got it on Android and iOS, so your attitude of "oh, it's only a few people" is pointless. It's exceeded 10% in many regions of Europe, so they're effectively ignoring 1/10 or more people because... why, exactly? I mean, Android is down to 18% so... if they hit 10%, should companies drop support for them, too? Yes, I'm being facetious with that last statement before you decide to use that as proof of something.

Point is: The effort required to make the WP version is negligible compared to the initial work required. And honestly, no, don't take Win8 out of the picture, because there are Windows tablets out there that use the Windows 8 OS. My point WAS that by developing any ONE version for Windows 8 OR Windows Phone OR Windows RT, they would effectively have all three versions done at the same time because of how the SDK works.

I was pointing out the reduced development time and improved platform support, and you just cherry-pick little details to focus on. If it was made in C++, it's almost a direct import into the Windows platforms. If it was made in Java, they have converters which actually work well now (the old version was junk, I'll agree with that.) They seem to have no trouble giving us new games and multiplatforms and ports on our Windows Phone, why not an app that's already made and won't require much conversion work?

"Because 1% LAWL" Yeah... thanks. "Oh they didn't support Playstation App, I should pitch a fit" seriously? I'm pitching a fit because they ignored multiple potential avenues to get this on Windows Phone, not just because it's not a SmartGlass app.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-12-2013, 01:09 AM
Wow...adventurewomen should learn reading comprehension skills. That back and forth with DetroitPlaya was cringe worthy.