PDA

View Full Version : Ship Boarding Doesn't Flow

izzydude231
11-30-2013, 03:47 AM
First off, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I just signed up.

Anyway, as the title suggests, boarding a ship feels sluggish. During almost every developer interview before Black Flag's release, they stressed the importance of the flow of the game. They would proudly point out how you can just Hold B and suddenly you're walking around again. That flows!

Now, I don't know whether the Ubisoft team listens to the forums like indie games do but I think the fix to this is simple, at least in concept.

When you go to board a ship Edward releases the wheel and you're off. You're still in it, there's no cutscene to engage the ship you just flow out of ship controls into running controls. Very swish.

But when you're finished killing the crew Edward immediately sheathes his swords and you get this awkward few seconds of not being able to do anything except meander about. And then you get a cutscene followed by a menu screeen and then another cutscene before you're plonked back on the wheel. That doesn't flow!

What would be tons better is if there was no opening and ending cutscene. Have the few seconds of the crew shouting in victory and the enemy surrendering as you slow walk about and then bring up the menu to decide what to do with the ship. Once you select an option have Edward shout the order and then give control back to the player. Players are prompted to return to the wheel and the moment they set foot off the ship it is either shot, commandeered by some of your sailors or left there with the enemy (depending on whether you said repair the Jackdaw, Lower Wanted Level or Send to Kenway's Fleet).

This flows.

Just imagine it for a second, how much faster would this make the game seem? How much better would it be?

As a bonus, if you send the ship to your fleet, why not actually deduct a chunk of your soldier meter? And also deduct wood cloth and perhaps metal too. The ship needs repairs and it needs crew to steer it. This is going to make players run out of wood, cloth and soldiers; thats not a bad thing! Throughtout the whole game, I've never had low crew members. Now if the player is capturing a lot of ships, they might need to make a detour into a tavern to hire a new bunch of pirates, or to buy a load of cloth and wood. Its this management of your ship that would be so enticing. It'd mean every "Free pirates without being seen" mission just that much more critical. You NEED those pirates. It'd make a fleet of Man-O-War's that much harder to acheive, knowing that you need to supply the wood and cloth for it to make the journey home.

TL;DR: Cut out the end of ship boarding cutscenes and allow the player to have to return to the Jackdaw manually. Secondly, make capturing a ship require spending crew, cloth and wood.

D.I.D.
11-30-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm quite happy with that how it is, to be honest. I haven't felt there's a problem there.

As a bonus, if you send the ship to your fleet, why not actually deduct a chunk of your soldier meter? And also deduct wood cloth and perhaps metal too. The ship needs repairs and it needs crew to steer it. This is going to make players run out of wood, cloth and soldiers; thats not a bad thing! Throughtout the whole game, I've never had low crew members. Now if the player is capturing a lot of ships, they might need to make a detour into a tavern to hire a new bunch of pirates, or to buy a load of cloth and wood. Its this management of your ship that would be so enticing. It'd mean every "Free pirates without being seen" mission just that much more critical. You NEED those pirates. It'd make a fleet of Man-O-War's that much harder to acheive, knowing that you need to supply the wood and cloth for it to make the journey home.

TL;DR: Cut out the end of ship boarding cutscenes and allow the player to have to return to the Jackdaw manually. Secondly, make capturing a ship require spending crew, cloth and wood.

Yeah, I REALLY don't want that. There's plenty of busywork in all areas of this game, and what you're suggesting would add nothing good - just more "go here, now go here". Also if your own resources were depleted on repairs, it would mess up the whole idea of choosing whether to retain the ship for your fleet or use it for scrap.

If you're really going all in on the Fleet minigame, or even just grinding the naval warfare for money, it would be a huge PITA to have to do all of this extra management.

Farlander1991
11-30-2013, 11:26 AM
What you don't take into account with your suggestion, is that when you capture a ship you're standing on a half destroyed mess. What happens with it when we recruit it to our cause? It just stands there? Immediately healed up? Or when we want to lower our wanted level, do we just... leave those guys there? And what if this happens in the middle of a battle? Can you lose the ship you decided to recruit? I'm pretty sure the cutscene wasn't the first design choice, but the devs didn't have enough time or resources to properly do things without it. The cutscene allows for a vague transition that doesn't have any of the problems mentioned above or that are not yet mentioned.

LoyalACFan
11-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Eh. I'm fine with it how it is. IMO there has to be some sort of cut here, mostly because of what the above posters were saying. We don't need to bother with the tedium of physically sending crew members over to the captured ship, or having to pillage extra supplies just to salvage it (especially when it's only going to be used for that inane fleet mini-game). Just give us a little menu to choose what we want to do with it, show us a cutscene to illustrate what happened, and let us move on. It actually flows better this way than having to physically let everything play out.

Though it would have been nice if each option had more than one little cutscene. I got kind of tired of watching those over and over.

SixKeys
11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
You can easily skip the cut scenes.