PDA

View Full Version : Help Chasing Sea Shanty Lyrics

NeoMorph WTH
11-29-2013, 07:08 PM
One thing I have found that seems to be worse than AC3 is the free running. Edward keeps stopping... I tell him to climb but he just hangs there when there is an obvious easy handhold above. AC3 never used to pause like this and of course it means the lyrics float away.

To be honest this is the one thing I absolutely HATE about AC3 and 4. Chasing lyrics seems to break with the story... and the free running just doesn't flow right. Brotherhood's free running was way smoother imho.

Sooooo... is there something I am doing wrong. There has to be a way to make Eddie climb better. Is there an upgrade later on?

Yoshack Fyre84
11-29-2013, 08:44 PM
No you're totally right. Playing on an Xbox One like me? Edward stops all the time when climbing, takes the wrong jumps, hangs instead of jumping down, hangs instead of letting go. Super glitchy. And that doesn't make chasing the Shanties very fun or easy. All the Shanties can be obtained, but some are much much harder than others. You need to plan your approach. You can come at them from two directions. If your plan is perfect you will usually catch it pretty quick. The one in the swamps of Nassau that you have to chase through the trees is the hardest I think. I approached it from the south, run along the west edge of the swamp so the water doesn't slow you down, run up the fallen tree and it will move in front of you and it can be caught. Took me a lot of tries to figure that one out.

NeoMorph WTH
11-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Yup Xbox One. It's like he forgets what to do. He just won't move from certain handholds and you have to make him drop to carry on. Drives me NUTS.

Nah, I like to collect stuff but I think the shanties are a no-go until they fix the free running. They vanish into thin air too damned quick if you ask me. You can catch up and just as you are about to get them.... POOF... gone. It think they are just added as a time sink. Add nothing to the game really.

DarkestPenguin
11-29-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm playing on PS4 and I have the same problem. Both with 3 and 4 I find myself yelling at the screen as my character makers incredible idiotic choices while free running or just plain stopping in his tracks. It's also one of the roots of the problem I have with chase missions.

AngryRaisin
11-29-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm on PS3 and have the same issue. I yell at the game too. It's super frustrating. I found that I got better at the shanty chases after I had played about 20 hours of game. Maybe I just adapted to the clumsiness of the free running but whatever the case, I went from barely being able to capture any to being able to get them all eventually.

NeoMorph WTH
12-03-2013, 11:12 PM
This is really annoying me now because I really like the shantes my sailors sing... but they keep singing the same ones.

Now if UBI did a micro pack of just the shanties so I didn't have to chase them and curse when Eddie jumps the wrong way I WOULD BUY IT...

Kagurra
12-03-2013, 11:15 PM
This is really annoying me now because I really like the shantes my sailors sing... but they keep singing the same ones.

Now if UBI did a micro pack of just the shanties so I didn't have to chase them and curse when Eddie jumps the wrong way I WOULD BUY IT...

I hope not. That's kinda sad and encourages these dumb "time saver" microtransactions everybody is testing out with these new games. It's BS and I don't like it. Go play the game and get some shanties. I got them all, they're not that bad. Also, if you miss one pretty sure you can just fast travel to a nearby viewpoint and it respawns.

Syr.Jake
12-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Imagine how bad it was originally when they began creating the game. There was only 1 shanty. I imagine the dev's got sick and decided to add the rest as Song Sheets.

Frag_Maniac
12-04-2013, 01:17 AM
I play on PC with mere KB/M. I say mere KB/M because many imply AC is always controlled better with a gamepad, don't know, have my doubts. AC has always had some degree of clumsiness due to your character getting too grabby with objects you don't want him to cling too, be it railings, ladders, etc.

Anyway, back on topic. With shanties, I find it's best to survey the thing from a distance after highlighting it with the objective marker, then planning an angle of attack that will leave you chasing it on a path that looks easiest to traverse to you.

If you've noticed, shanties are not scripted to a specific path either, so if your first attempt results in fumbling through lots of slow to traverse objects, then try another angle of attack. With this strategy I have often found that shanties I thought at first would be a pain, ended up getting grabbed while just running along a solid surface.

Lastly, jump don't run when near it. It can often save you from having to try again.

IWGCJoeCool
12-04-2013, 02:00 AM
the Shanties are tons easier than the silly AC3 Alamanac pages. also, they dont disappear as long as those did, AND, you can hang out on their respawn location, many times you get them for doing nothing but waiting a minute.

i play on PS3, and i too am often frustrated by the apparant clumsiness of the controls. but, i dont blame it on Sony or Ubisoft, and assume that i didnt do something smoothly enough, or timed something wrong. if i were to make a complaint on this topic, i would have filed one from AC1 on.

JC

DarktheMagister
12-04-2013, 05:14 AM
I don't get it. I'm on PS3 too.... PS3 default controller....and I have no trouble with any of these things people are constantly complaining about. The free running has been smooth and intuitive. The way the paths are laid out have been easy to follow and I didn't miss a single shanty...hell it may have even been EASIER than the Almanac pages last time.

What am I doing that is different than all of you?

SirDundee
02-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Please allow me to add my two cents worth of advice regarding the capturing of the Sea Shanties...

I was frustrated chasing those damn things down until I realized that they regenerate in the same location every time...

Sooo... I just position Edward where the shanty regenerates and wait.

The shanty will then simply appear and without much movement at all Edward captures the shanty...

Toot-Suite mon ami!

STDlyMcStudpants
02-09-2014, 04:44 AM
I played on PS3 and yes the climbing is not as fluent as AC-AC3..he does hang on ledges and trips over boxes, but they shouldn't be much of a problem for catching notes.
In my play through I only had to give a 2nd chance at maybe 2 or 3 shanties at most.
I have come to loves them, they introduce me to free running paths i otherwise would not have thought of.
They beat the roof top races. ;)

travilanche
02-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Played on ps3 and never once missed a page. Maybe I just got lucky.

Locopells
02-09-2014, 12:37 PM
You do realise that if you fast travel to the nearest point, it'll re-appear right away? And like someone else said, take a look from afar, before committing to the chase. I've never had a major problem, myself.